• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

OmahaG8

I asked this in a different thread but it was before the game came out and we got hands on impressions.

2500k / GTX 580 (1080p)

Should I play on that or my ps4?

Thanks!

Lord Phol

Hmm, I get fluctuating 29-32 fps in the main menu screen, pointer is lagging.

i5 3570 @ 3,4 Ghz
980GTX TI
16GB RAM
Playing @ 1920x1080

Edit: Intro movie is 35-40 fps and character customization is 45 fps. Something is definetly wrong here. Going to try the new drivers
Edit 2: Updating drivers and lowering settings does absolutely nothing. Going to try restarting everything.
Edit 3: Full-screen mode gained me about 2000 more fps in the menu and about 176 on character customization.

Crisium

Some more Godray Low vs Ultra comparisons straight from the horses mouth:

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-interactive-comparison-001-ultra-vs-low.html

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-interactive-comparison-006-ultra-vs-low.html

Definitely going with Low but this time you can actually see the difference for what it's worth.

Gzx0ZZU.png

Ty4on

I see absolutely no gosh darn difference between low and ultra. What am I missing fellas?
With very fine details (the example they used was a fence) you can see softness on lower settings, but that is all. You should be golden at low and they're a good example of why you shouldn't just max everything.
In the Nvidia article they tweak the godrays with settings that go beyond ultra and analyze them quite thoroughly of you're curious.

artsi

I'm looking into the XAudio2_7.dll issue, and it seems this is becoming a well documented Windows 10 issue for lots of games. There's a Microsoft thread here with a (sort of) solution that involves removing the .dll file completely so the games can't hang any more. In some games (like AC: Unity) it solves the crashing perfectly. In other games it solves the crashing but also completely removes all audio.

Going to test it now.

EDIT: The startup logo had audio, but that was it. Everything else is muted >.<

And no solution in sight. So I have to install Windows 8.1 to play Fallout 4. Thanks Microsoft.

ZOONAMI

It's because of tessellation.

Look what happens when with Gameworks Off the cards are truly "more or less the same" even within my conservative definition of the term:

Neither card gives playable performance of course, but it's still a heavier penalty on one end.

38 fps on a couch with tv at 4k is perfectly playable, at least imo.

Älg

Look what happens when with Gameworks Off the cards are truly "more or less the same" even within my conservative definition of the term:

Neither card gives playable performance of course, but it's still a heavier penalty on one end.

The difference in performance loss is one FPS. That's negligible.

Looking at the comparison gifs and pictures in the DF thread, all I gotta say is people like NXgamer have an uphill battle to fight if they go the route of downplaying the significance of the PC version.

Crisium

Unlike Dark Souls PC, which casualized the calculated terror of blighttown, hard mode in this game is unlocked by PC.

Did you check out the linked mp4s which show its effect on alpha?

These ones?

Low shows what looks to me like crosshatching effects. Now I want to see what Off and High looks like.

Sounds like I'll start out using these settings and go from there.

Game Setting Conclusion

With 20 settings, and dozens of detail levels, it can be tricky to determine what you should and should not enable if your system can't max out every option. If it were us, we'd enable settings in this order, mostly using High settings for the best balance between image quality and performance:

Texture Quality (Ultra)
Anisotropic Filtering (16x)
Anti-Aliasing (TAA)
Shadow Distance (High)
Shadow Quality (High)
God Rays Quality (Low)
Object Fade (50%)
Distant Object Detail (High)
Actor Fade (50%)
Item Fade (50%)
Grass Fade (50-75%)
Wetness (On)
Ambient Occlusion (On)
Screen Space Reflections (On)
Lens Flare (On)
Depth of Field (Standard)
Object Detail Fade (any)
Lighting Quality (Medium)
Rain Occlusion (On)
Decal Quantity (High)

Manac0r

What is the best way to handle v-sync on Fallout 4's engine? No option in game, and using nvidia control panel results in stuttering. No v-sync is smooth but tears something awful.

Next upgrade = G sync.

Krigaren

R9 390 at 1150/1750 core/mem
Ultra with god rays on low
50-60fps at 1440p, 15.7.1.

It runs mostly at 60 but turning at certain positions it drops down to 50 for some reason.

dr_rus

Nvidia user turns off Gameworks, gains 28.2% average performance. AMD users turns off Gameworks, gains 36.9% average performance.

Yeah, that's not how math works in this universe. We are looking at an impact which is caused by enabling Gameworks, not how much performance you gain from disabling it. A 980 user is loosing 13,1% of performance when enabling Gameworks. A 390X user is loosing 16% of performance when enabling Gameworks. These are comparable and these 3% can easily be retaken by the driver optimizations.

g9BK8fr.png

What you're showing here is the result of the lack of memory bandwidth on 970 and not an "even" Gameworks impact at all. You're basically substituting the Gameworks impact with bandwidth impact and saying that this is somehow more correct simply because your favorite brand is doing better here.

I'm not saying that tessellation isn't impacting Radeon's performance but it's pretty clear that the impact is minimal to none in FO4's volumetric lightning system. Do note that the same system is running on both PS4 and XBO and as such is likely to be rather well optimized for GCN tessellation h/w.

Radeons issues in FO4 are likely to be mostly related to the quality of AMD's DX11 driver.

Yeah those ones. It should look similar to this effect you see on consoles with the volumetric lighting:
fallout4_201510311428e2sel.png

Albeit, you have imagiune that pixelisation changing in every frame and being very temporally unstable.

Damn son.

Crisium

Yeah those ones. It should look similar to this effect you see on consoles with the volumetric lighting:

Albeit, you have imagiune that pixelisation changing in every frame and being very temporally unstable.

The first time I find some good lighting in this game on my own machine I just know I'm going to spend an hour playing with the God Rays to find what is best...

gossi

I've played an hour on PC now. 1080p 30fps almost locked on Ultra, using this 3+ year old hardware:

AMD 6300 processor
Nvidia GTX 660 2gb

No overclock.

Crisium

Yeah, that's not how math works in this universe. We are looking at an impact which is caused by enabling Gameworks, not how much performance you gain from disabling it. A 980 user is loosing 13,1% of performance when enabling Gameworks. A 390X user is loosing 16% of performance when enabling Gameworks. These are comparable and these 3% can easily be retaken by the driver optimizations.

Yeah, that's not how math works in this universe. The difference between 13.1% and 16% is not 3%. It's 22%, and yes that is a significantly statistical difference by most measures. Certainly you see the difference between 100% and 97%, which is insignificant, and 13% and 16% which is significant.

Very late edit:

"We are looking at an impact which is caused by enabling Gameworks, not how much performance you gain from disabling it". Those are actually the same exact thing, relatively. I should have checked your math earlier, because where do you even derive these amounts from?

http://abload.de/img/fo4-perfvfuqb.png

pulsemyne

Playing this at 3440x1440 on ultra with a core i5 3350p and a 970 with windows 10. Seems to be over 30fps for most of it. Not bad. I did have to piss about in the ini files in documents/my games as it was bugged to hell on start up in that I could only select 1080p and windowed, try anything else and it showed up as blank.

Irobot82

I'm not saying that tessellation isn't impacting Radeon's performance but it's pretty clear that the impact is minimal to none in FO4's volumetric lightning system. Do note that the same system is running on both PS4 and XBO and as such is likely to be rather well optimized for GCN tessellation h/w.

Radeons issues in FO4 are likely to be mostly related to the quality of AMD's DX11 driver.

Damn son.

Isn't the consolse GPU based on Tonga/Fiji 1.2 or 1.1? In that case the hardware tessellation is much better than what is on the 290, 390 etc. That might not be a fair comparison. But I could be super wrong.

I have an I7940 clocked at 2.93 it says and a 660ti. Does anyone think I will be able to run this better than the ps4 and xbox one? Digital foundry got my shook thinking about sending the game back to amazon and getting the pc version.

i'm just looking for comparable graphics to consoles and locked 30 fps.

Mindman

I've played an hour on PC now. 1080p 30fps almost locked on Ultra, using this 3+ year old hardware:

AMD 6300 processor
Nvidia GTX 660 2gb

No overclock.

I will be locking on 30 fps as well with older hardware. Glad to hear it's working out fine.

Also, this game forces v-sync right? No in game option, but Skyrim didn't have one either, and it was always v-synced.

gossi

Anyone playing with a gamepad? I picked up that new xbox one wireless adapter basically for Fallout 4.

Hoping for some more laptop impressions also. I'm on a 970m.

Yeah, I'm using a 360 pad. Works great. Only thing is some of the prompts (e.g. during crafting) refer to the 'symbols' on the X1 controller, rather than saying 'Back' (on 360 controller).

Blitzhex

Game isn't giving me a 3440x1440 option and loads up in some super small resolution. Adding the iSize H and W with their values in .ini didn't change anything.

Did say earlier but,

R9 270 2GB
Fx 8320E
8GB DDR3
Windows 10
15.11 beta driver

35-60fps on Ultra at 1080p, normally in the mid forties.

So I should be good then? My CPU is weaker than yours but I didn't plan on playing on Ultra in the first place.

NIN90

Panning the camera seems really jerky at 60 FPS, like bad framepacing. Anybody got suggestions? Maybe unlocking the framerate ingame (if there is such an option) and locking it to 60 via RTSS?

xHunter

So with my GTX 970 and Xeon E3 1231 v3 i get above 60 FPS constant with everything at max except for god rays.

Getting a 404 on this page.

Yeah, it is down for me as well. Perhaps they have to change something and they are going to update it again?

I hope it is not too much work for Andy if that is the case. Those guides seem like they must take a long time and a lot of patience.

M2C3

Neo Member
From what I've read:

Forced V-Sync (can be changed through the config?)

Crashes on Win 10 due to XAudio file and removing it mutes the game?

No proper SLI support? But may be enabled through Geforce Control Panel similar to The Evil Within?

Did I miss anything?

Edit: FOV forced through a .ini change doesn't work?

Lord Phol

Found the problem, windowed mode causes my fps to go turd level. Works great on fullscreen.. Anyone else tried windowed yet?

Top Bottom