• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My white neighbor thought I was breaking into my own apartment. (Article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

I introduced myself to the reporting neighbor and asked if he was aware of the gravity of his actions — the ocean of armed officers, my life in danger. He stuttered about never having seen me, before snippily asking if I knew my next-door neighbor. After confirming that I did and questioning him further, he angrily responded, “I’m an attorney, so you can go f— yourself,” and walked away.

lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The woman is totally right that this was handled improperly. But I can't understand from the article, did she actually break the lock to her house and enter because she was late to a soccer game? If I didn't know me neighbors well enough, I probably would have reported that too.

That doesn't excuse the behavior or justifications of the police officers, or the lack of professionalism by the Santa Monica Police Department.

No, that's why she locked herself out.

Valhelm

contribute something
Honestly, paranoid white civilians often deserve as much as blame as brutal cops. I'm sure that many officers who aren't terrible people often go into aggression-mode because some old lady described her black neighbor as an imminent violent threat.

bchamba

Technically she is now doing the same thing. Maybe she has the right due to the situation, but this is the endless circle that keeps getting worse. Everybody is stereotyping everybody. We all have to stop painting with such a large brush on every situation

When she stereotypes nobody gets hurt or gets a gun pointed to their face for no reason. The two stereotypes aren't even comparable.

Chaos17

To them, they're free from criticism because of protocol.
The problem is that they didn't followed the protocol after they replied to that call.

The victim clairly said that the policeman pointed a gun at her without identify himself, telling her to raise her hand and walk to him.
She showed her ID and the receipt of the lockpicking service, they still didn't beleived her and searched for buglars in her appartement.

That's just wrong.

I introduced myself to the reporting neighbor and asked if he was aware of the gravity of his actions — the ocean of armed officers, my life in danger. He stuttered about never having seen me, before snippily asking if I knew my next-door neighbor. After confirming that I did and questioning him further, he angrily responded, “I’m an attorney, so you can go f— yourself,” and walked away.
/facepalm

aeolist

Banned
The Police Chief's response: http://santamonicapd.org/Content.aspx?id=54286

She's black too.

It could have been handled better by the cops but at least they didn't shoot her. Some can't say the same, or anything at all...

From my perspective, the 9-1-1 caller was not wrong for reporting what he believed was an in-progress residential burglary. Put yourself in his place. Ms. Wells is not wrong to feel as she does. Put yourself in her shoes. And, the Santa Monica Police Department's response was not wrong. Put yourself in the officers' shoes.

the cops didn't identify themselves as police and have deliberately obfuscated which officers were present at the scene. even if they weren't wrong for refusing to check her ID and entering her home despite her telling them not to (they were) they still fucked up.

own it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
She locked herself out but went to the soccer game anyways. Came back with a locksmith afterwards and that's when the neighbor saw people poking around and called the coppers.

Definite overkill police response. Neighbor did the right thing but is an asshole in the aftermath.

Does he know all of the other neighbors? I seriously doubt it. How many others has he called police about? I'm guessing none.

FluxWaveZ

Technically she is now doing the same thing. Maybe she has the right due to the situation, but this is the endless circle that keeps getting worse. Everybody is stereotyping everybody. We all have to stop painting with such a large brush on every situation

Not all stereotypes are equal.

The Lamp

She locked herself out but went to the soccer game anyways. Came back with a locksmith afterwards and that's when the neighbor saw people poking around and called the coppers.

Definite overkill police response. Neighbor did the right thing but is an asshole in the aftermath.

Ah, I understand now. That makes this worse. It's awful because the cops totally ignored her when she spoke to them calmly.

Terrible situation that should have never happened

However, when reading the last paragraph I had a thought:

Isn't that exactly what cops have done? Make generalizations.

Why do you equate these instances of stereotyping?

The neighbour is an absolute piece of shit, especially after that "I am a lawyer go fuck yourself" response. But at least he has an excuse. The police have absolutely none. Not for the response. Not for the way they treated her AFTER knowing there was no foulplay.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In some way you'd think the neighbor should have just gone and asked what was going on before calling the cops.

The catch 22 being if you really don't know, then you probably shouldn't interject yourself into the situation personally.

NoRéN;186658793 said:
His response, “I’m an attorney, so you can go f— yourself,”

This is one thing that really got me. Like, if this happened to me I might be able to see how a neighbor be alarmed, especially if we had never spoken or they didn't know I lived there or whatever. I'd be pissed as hell, but a simple "Sorry, I didn't know you live there. I misunderstood what was going on" would go a long way toward making me feel just a little better. :/

99% of the issue was in how cops responded. No information provided when she asked what was going on, no one looked at her ID, and some of them flat out ignored her when she asked for their names. As many as 19 GD officers?! That's nuts. That call excerpt should not have warranted all that, unless he went into how he saw them with AR-15s and ISIS propaganda after the recording cut off.

Zubz

Banned
I know we've already brought up the ludicrous number of officers a lot, but it's still baffling. Is there any reason for them to respond with 16-19 cops for a reportedly-unarmed break-in? And that's ignoring the fact that they went into her apartment without her permission after she provided evidence? Seriously, this kind of stuff is disgusting.

Chaos17

T

That's called : FEAR because a policeman pointed a gun at her for no reason.
She didn't choosen to fear them before that incident as far as I know but because of it she now fear them.

The problem is from the police, policemen should be formed to avoid this, threat any civilian equally as long as they didn't commit any crime.
They should not jump to conclusion or overreact because it can lead to "awfull endings".
I never said it's an easy thing to do, but innocents lives could be saved if the policemen are better formed to resist to stress/jump conclusion situation.

I called this same police department ONCE because I saw someone get hit by a drunk driver. 2 officers showed up about 45 minutes later. I know this isn't the LAPD but fuck the police in and around los angeles.

Dunk#7

Why do you equate these instances of stereotyping?

Because all stereotyping is leading to this culture of everybody choosing sides and it all adds up country-wide

The cops were very wrong in this situation, and there is no denying that.

I just hate how divisive this stuff is becoming. I would like to think the majority of people are good around the world, but the sensationalism of individual news stories and how easily they are spread today is leading to a culture of distrust from all sides.

PBY

Banned
Does he know all of the other neighbors? I seriously doubt it. How many others has he called police about? I'm guessing none.

He doesn't come of at all well; but I think applying that extra layer goes too far. Its not an unreasonable action.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
But they didn't false call 911.
Yes, he did. You can't hire a locksmith to break into someone else's home. They check ID.

The whole point would be if you weren't sure if either person was actually on the up and up. I get what you are saying, but the point would be if it was staged IE two robbers one dressed up as a locksmith.

Sort of like how you hear about fake cops or fake people selling alarm systems or fake handymen going around neighborhoods.

Plus like I said in THEORY if you weren't sure you would just go and feel the situation out first. The problem being if you aren't sure you probably shouldn't interject yourself into the unknown situation.

You sorta have to remove the fact that the guy is an asshole from the act itself.

aeolist

Banned
I know we've already brought up the ludicrous number of officers a lot, but it's still baffling. Is there any reason for them to respond with 16-19 cops for a reportedly-unarmed break-in? And that's ignoring the fact that they went into her apartment without her permission after she provided evidence? Seriously, this kind of stuff is disgusting.

bored cops will tag along to calls that sound exciting. my mom is a police dispatcher and she complains about that all the time.

shoreu

I'm a black teenager I haven't felt safe or welcome around a police officer for a long time for so many reasons.

I can understand each perspective in this story, especially after having read the Chief's post. There are a lot of bad things going on in communities across the United States and I'm not talking about crime. It isn't uncommon for neighbors to have never met: pair that with growing paranoia among our citizenry and an increasingly aggressive/antagonistic police presence and you get situations like this.

A person three doors down called the police on me under similar circumstances in a suburban neighborhood with almost zero crime. I locked myself out and was surveying windows to see if we'd left one open that I could get into.

The difference between my case and hers, however, was that the police didn't pull their guns on me. They asked me to come over and speak with them, asked if I was the resident of the house, asked if I had my driver's license on me, and offered to help me get inside my car so that I could use the garage door opener.

They did their due diligence without ever getting aggressive and everyone should be afforded the same treatment.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous is right.

16 cops for one black woman just trying to enter her apartment. Are you kidding me!???

Dispatch deploys officers if/when appropriate but the call goes out on the radio. If nothing is going on anywhere else, you end up having a lot of bored units respond to a call that they weren't dispatched to.

TAJ

I live in an upstairs condo and always leave all windows closed but at least one unlocked. I've climbed into all of them from outside, day and night. People I don't know from other buildings have watched me and haven't said shit. You can probably guess what color I am.

If she was white, the cops would help her break in.

I've actually seen that in person. No ID check either.

zma1013

spmQGzJ.gif

Hey now, this is no time to be posting clips from Paul Blart Mall Cop.

Dunk#7

I'm a black teenager I haven't felt safe or welcome around a police officer for a long time for so many reasons.

That is terrible, and needs fixed

How do we repair this country-wide?

Such a frustrating situation. Wish things didn't operate like this

EDIT: What if we exclude white people from the police force? It would never happen, but it would be interesting

Cops cannot be compared to race. Come on.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
considering that the neighbor is an attorney and she is a vice president of strategy at some large corporation, is it safe to assume that this is a nice neighborhood and the cops thought "minorities breaking into the home of rich white people"?

entremet

If you want a very practical solution, but also unrealistic due to the prison lobby, end the war on drugs for one.

The war on drugs is a minority disenfranchisement and imprisonment system.

My mom once got surrounded by about twenty cops for speeding. Not because she was speeding especially fast, just because a bunch of cops were going out for dinner and noticed her speeding on their way to the restaurant and so they all pulled over. It happens.

However, the fact that they didn't explain what was going on is a huge breech in protocol. And that neighbor is an asshole for not apologizing. Everyone makes mistakes, but it takes a real jerk to not even offer an apology for seriously inconveniencing someone/putting their life in danger.

aeolist

Banned
having civilian review boards for police departments would be a big step i think

of course local governments and police unions tend to fight against that kind of thing

Dunk#7

Cops cannot be compared to race. Come on.

Yes, they can be.

Some seem to be 100% against cops due to recent news stories. Even if the cop in question is very professional and not guilty of the offenses of others. Many are judging cops as a whole instead of individually

If you want a very practical solution, but also unrealistic due to the prison lobby, end the war on drugs for one.

The war on drugs is a minority disenfranchisement and imprisonment system.

Very true. The war on drugs has to go. Look to Portugal

There is a lot that needs to be done and it is unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes. All of the following needs to end:

• Drug War
  • Privatization of prisons
  • Militarization of police
  • Funding incentives that drive quotas at the cost of public trust
  • Us Vs. Them mentality, especially against minorities but functionally against everyone
  • Racial Profiling
  • Unnecessary Escalation
  • Shoot First, Ask Later mentality

That's just off the top of my head. There's shit that I know I'm missing but that's how bad LEO is in this country. Our entire system of "rehabilitation" is a joke as well but that's another list entirely.

Yes, they can be.

Some seem to be 100% against cops due to recent news stories. Even if the cop in question is very professional and not guilty of the offenses of others. Many are judging cops as a whole instead of individually

Black folk have ample reason not to trust any cops, this woman especiall. Cops are part of a system, an institution that is extremely racist. None of that applies to race.

They are so drastically different things. It's disingenious to even think of drawing that comparison.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Post-racial America! Clearly had nothing to do with race! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to burying my head in the sand.

Dunk#7

Black folk have ample reason not to trust any cops, this woman especiall. Cops are part of a system, an institution that is extremely racist. None of that applies to race.

They are so drastically different things. It's disingenious to even think of drawing that comparison.

So because somebody is a cop they are automatically racist by association? They deserve to be judged in that way?

We should all automatically assume these things about every single cop?

I don't have a problem with the guy calling the police. My problem is that he didn't apologize to her for her going through the whole ordeal.

If I saw someone breaking into a house and I didn't know who they were, I'd be calling the police too. I don't care if they're black or white.

Now, the police reaction is kinda hard to figure out. Are they trained to draw a guns in this situation? And perform an unwarranted search of someone's home in this type of situation? Did they ask her outright if it was her house? If she was being held under duress?

Also -16 cops seems insane. Must have been a slow day at the Dunkin Donuts?

4 cops probably would have been fine. Two on foot, two bracketing the street.

I think the problem is training and procedural. If the cops are trained to do all of this, or REQUIRED to do all of this, then it's a systemic issue, not a racial/rogue cop issue.

shoreu

EDIT: What if we exclude white people from the police force? It would never happen, but it would be interesting

I'm no frightened by just White police it's the the entire force.
It's how they treat and approach me, How they speak and approach me, their attitude towards me any my friends when we aren't doing anything wrong, and when i get pulled over i have to record to make sure i have proof i've done nothing wrong. When i got pulled over in my 2002 Mercedes you won't believe how they spoke to me nor the fact that they snuk up on both sides of my car with their hands on the guns.

I'm a 6ft 220 lbs football player for reference .

aeolist

Banned
So because somebody is a cop they are automatically racist by association? They deserve to be judged in that way?

We should all automatically assume these things about every single cop?

saying someone is part of a racist system is different. the law enforcement and criminal justice systems are slanted against blacks on every level, and american cops are statistically more likely to abuse and kill minorities compared to whites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom