• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude 2015 [OT] Rock The Disco Tech

Not being able to choose what songs you want to go back to in campaign is a silly decision.

I'm up to Dalatecht...and I still have the bonus song to unlock...but in this current playthrough, I need to 3 bar Dalatecht. It's either that or start over AGAIN.

I could have sworn I already beat the campaign on expert but don't see Super.

Going to give it a few more tries before I start over. If I knew the score requirement for hitting 3 bar, it would give me an idea how much better I need to do.

Yeah, not only that but if you don't replay the track and quit, there's no other way to replay afterwards.

BiggNife

So as someone who was a huge fan of the PS2 game and backed this one I'm pretty happy with it

BUUUUT
whoever thought it was a good idea to have the chromatic aberration effect for the entirety of Wayfarer should be fired. Seriously. That shit is really hard on my eyes and strained them pretty bad. And there's no way to turn off the effect in the options! Honestly, that's almost inexcusable. Part of me wants to make a thread about how forcing eye-straining effects in games like this isn't cool but I'm afraid someone will call me out for spoilers or something since the game is so new.

Other than that, this game is pretty cool

BUUUUT
whoever thought it was a good idea to have the chromatic aberration effect for the entirety of Wayfarer should be fired. Seriously. That shit is really hard on my eyes and strained them pretty bad. And there's no way to turn off the effect in the options! Honestly, that's almost inexcusable. Part of me wants to make a thread about how forcing eye-straining effects in games like this isn't cool but I'm afraid someone will call me out for spoilers or something since the game is so new.

Does it help at all that there is a plot reason for it being there? No?

BiggNife

Does it help at all that there is a plot reason for it being there? No?

Not really. I get what they were going for but I really don't care much at all about the story in a game like this. And the fact is that other games that have severe chromatic aberration like SOMA let you turn it off if it bothers you (that game has a story reason for it too).

hamchan

Had to change away from Blitz controls because they decided not to put seek on the shoulder buttons but decided to just move you one lane at a time, putting seek on the sticks. How annoying. I wish they just let us freely map buttons.

btkadams

I'm glad this is finally out for everyone. I backed this game and it has been amazing. I've played it every day that I've been home since it went up for early release. I want and need more songs (DLC please) but I'm still having a blast with the songs in the game. I really like the soundtrack though!

cj_iwakura

I'm glad this is finally out for everyone. I backed this game and it has been amazing. I've played it every day that I've been home since it went up for early release. I want and need more songs (DLC please) but I'm still having a blast with the songs in the game. I really like the soundtrack though!

Nowhere near 'everyone', not until the PS3 version releases.

Guess Who

Banned
Had to change away from Blitz controls because they decided not to put seek on the shoulder buttons but decided to just move you one lane at a time, putting seek on the sticks. How annoying. I wish they just let us freely map buttons.

I really like Upper Hand but having seek on the d-pad and move on the right stick is driving me crazy.

Rated-G

Have any of you other backers out there used the download code for the digital soundtrack? I just used mine and it's only 10 tracks... I can understand if they couldn't include the non-in house music in the download, but this isn't even the whole campaign.

The tracklist I have right now is:
1. Perfect Brain
2. Wet Ware
3. Recession
4. Break For Me
5. Decode Me
6. Astrosight
7. Human Love
8. Supraspatial
9. Digital Paralysis
10. Dalatecht

McFadge

Nowhere near 'everyone', not until the PS3 version releases.

And they send out all the codes for backers, and sort the codes that aren't working.

PedroRVD

Have any of you other backers out there used the download code for the digital soundtrack? I just used mine and it's only 10 tracks... I can understand if they couldn't include the non-in house music in the download, but this isn't even the whole campaign.

1. Perfect Brain
2. Wet Ware
3. Recession
4. Break For Me
5. Decode Me
6. Astrosight
7. Human Love
8. Supraspatial
9. Digital Paralysis
10. Dalatecht

Oh no... "Dreamer" is not there. That was my favorite song I want it in my phone :(

hamchan

Is it normal to find a lane to be so far away that you can't actually see it so you need to guess the note when you move over to it? Because I'm finding that really frustrating.

PedroRVD

Is it normal to find a lane to be so far away that you can't actually see it so you need to guess the note when you move over to it? Because I'm finding that really frustrating.

I wonder the same. I just finished the game on expert but I still feel there are times when the game is unfair on me...and seeing some insane scores makes me think there is still something about Amplitude I don't know.

This is something I miss from Blitz, it lets me freely change lanes whenever I want... I only lose streak when I miss notes on the lane I'm playing. Amplitude frequently puts me in situations when it is impossible to maintain streak.

1. Perfect Brain
2. Wet Ware
3. Recession
4. Break For Me
5. Decode Me
6. Astrosight
7. Human Love
8. Supraspatial
9. Digital Paralysis
10. Dalatecht
I've not even received my code yet. Going to be refreshing my emails like a madman all day. Still, disappointing that it's not the whole campaign. I'm happy to have Recession and Digital Paralysis, but it would have been nice to listen to the whole soundtrack without having to to focus on trying not to miss notes.

5taquitos

I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but the licensed tracks are light-years better than the Harmonix tracks. Most of the Harmonix tracks seems to suffer from a mix of odd instrumentation, fragmented structure, atonal lyrics, and nonsensical beats.

Still can't stop playing.

Rated-G

Oh no... "Dreamer" is not there. That was my favorite song I want it in my phone :(

I know right? That's one of the ones I was most looking forward to...

I've not even received my code yet. Going to be refreshing my emails like a madman all day. Still, disappointing that it's not the whole campaign. I'm happy to have Recession and Digital Paralysis, but it would have been nice to listen to the whole soundtrack without having to to focus on trying not to miss notes.

I actually haven't gotten an email regarding the soundtrack, I just happened to check backer kit and saw the link was in my digital rewards list for Amplitude. I also got my game code about 6 hours before I actually received the email on the 23rd. So you may actually have the link waiting for you already.

I'm kind of hoping that since they haven't actually sent emails or announced the soundtrack's availability yet that maybe it means they're still adding tracks to it? Either way I sent a message through the Kickstarter page asking about it, so if I get any information about missing tracks or a more comprehensive soundtrack I'll be sure to share here.

Dragnet

I wonder the same. I just finished the game on expert but I still feel there are times when the game is unfair on me...and seeing some insane scores makes me think there is still something about Amplitude I don't know.

This is something I miss from Blitz, it lets me freely change lanes whenever I want... I only lose streak when I miss notes on the lane I'm playing. Amplitude frequently puts me in situations when it is impossible to maintain streak.

Totally agree with this. Feel like I'm missing something, it doesn't feel fair.

GenoScreams

Neo Member

There are definitely times when you have to make a complete guess. Especially when you're going around a turn and can't even see which track you're going to jump to next. Other than that you can:
Pick a different order to play the tracks. If you start on the left track and go in order to the right track, you'll eventually reach a point where you have to jump far to the left. It may work better to skip around so you almost always have a track somewhat nearby to switch to when you're done.
Notice the patterns. You can generally anticipate how a track will start since the note patterns tend to repeat.
Or replay it enough to memorize what to hit when.

Did the original Amplitude have a seek button? I thought it was new to this version but everyone is just casually mentioning it like it's been a thing forever.

Gattsu25

Banned
That "Crystal" song by George & Jonathan is 100% a Phantasy Star Online nostalgia blast.

Whatever synth that is, more people need to use it.

This was more common in Amplitude than it was in Frequency, IMO. Yes, it's not terribly uncommon.

That, along with FreQ having Orbital's "Funny Break" (which I still contend is the best song [to stitch together in different ways] I've experienced in any one of these types of games) were the reasons why I prefered FreQ over Amplitude.

Well, also FreQ having the ability to wrap around the track...but I *vastly* prefer the "warp style" control/movement system in this new Amplitude to any of the previous ones, in that regard. It's so effective.

I know right? That's one of the ones I was most looking forward to...

I actually haven't gotten an email regarding the soundtrack, I just happened to check backer kit and saw the link was in my digital rewards list for Amplitude. I also got my game code about 6 hours before I actually received the email on the 23rd. So you may actually have the link waiting for you already.

I'm kind of hoping that since they haven't actually sent emails or announced the soundtrack's availability yet that maybe it means they're still adding tracks to it? Either way I sent a message through the Kickstarter page asking about it, so if I get any information about missing tracks or a more comprehensive soundtrack I'll be sure to share here.

Ah, so it is. I keep forgetting about that. Thanks.

Bladelaw

Just finished my first campaign. Started with Intermediate, which maybe wasn't the best idea as I've never played one of these before. Hitting the notes has been pretty good for the most part, but I'm awful at streaking when the start and end notes on different tracks get close enough together, and I'm also bad at sequencing--sometimes I can't even see the next note because the only available track is on the opposite side of the field. Now that I've unlocked FreQ mode, I might try the tunnel option to see if that helps. (Maybe it won't!)

I wish you could replay songs in the campaign instead of having to play the whole thing over to try and unlock the last song in each section. At least the campaign doesn't take too long to play through, so it's not that bad to replay. In fact, I might do it right now...

Emphasis mine. This is my biggest problem with the game right now. Playing through the Campaign trying to unlock all the songs and I get to a streak gate and it breaks because of this bullshit. I'm not sure if it's intended design (choose your lanes better) or something they couldn't fix pre-release but it bugs the hell out of me and feels needlessly cheap.

PedroRVD

oh man... Harmonix should make a game where the last boss or dungeon are called "Sony Europe".

I'm desperately looking for Dreamer, I want to buy the song or have it someway :(

EthanC

Banned
This game is incredibly disappointing, but it's made me want to play Rock Band Blitz again. Unfortunately it's not available on PS Now or via Xbox One backwards compatibility. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

Emphasis mine. This is my biggest problem with the game right now. Playing through the Campaign trying to unlock all the songs and I get to a streak gate and it breaks because of this bullshit. I'm not sure if it's intended design (choose your lanes better) or something they couldn't fix pre-release but it bugs the hell out of me and feels needlessly cheap.

Keep an eye out for the pillars of light that denote the next lane. I know it sounds impossible but once you get used to looking out for them a few notes before the end of your current lane it becomes natural almost immediately. There are a few tricky spots for sure, but most of the time you can figure out your next lane and the position of the note way ahead of jumping to it.

Look at how tight the timing is in this screenshot. The last note is basically RIGHT before the next note in the lane two over, but if you are ready then it isn't a shock changing lanes, it feels very natural.

8T3akLl.png

antitrop

Consider me among those who thinks the amount of time they give you to to identify the first note on a new track can really be fucking bullshit, sometimes. Even with the first notes being highlighted, sometimes they're just completely off screen.

Worse than that is when the note chart angles itself such that you can't see any of the notes that are coming at you. That's not fun, it's just fucking frustrating. I get that it's really the only time that paying attention to the white line that connects notes is important, but you're still basically just guessing at the timing.

I liked Rock Band Unplugged more. Didn't play Blitz, but that's basically the same as Unplugged, right?

My biggest problem with Amplitude is that there are far too many places where the game just makes me basically guess at a note, or even an entire string of notes.

PedroRVD

I also still don't get why sometimes when I play all notes of a lane it destroys the next section of the next lane, so it lets me naturally switch to it and keep the streak...that is cool!...but most of the time it does not happen and there are times when while I'm playing in one lane, the next one is passing by at the same time and it is impossible to keep the streak.

Amplitude is awesome, I'm loving it, but there are some faulty design decisions...the game makes you do blind guesses pretty often, and that should not happen in the rhythm genre.

Do you recommend to play in Freq mode?

The PS2 game was even more demanding since you had to button through tracks that were already completed (hitting left or right multiple times in a lot of cases) so not only did you need to have your next lane pegged ahead of time, you had upwards of 5 button presses away from getting to it, and then also needing to hit the first note.

This version at least immediately jumps to the next lane with a single input and then seems to be doing some input buffering to allow you to hit the note while still animating between lanes so the execution demand is quite a bit lower. Think of it kind of like Street Fighter 2/3 to Street Fighter 4 :)

Do you recommend to play in Freq mode?

FreQ mode allows you to pick the direction that turns occur, letting you control how much info is on the screen (pay attention to the direction the tunnel is going and rotate to a more favorable position) so yeah, if struggling with keeping info on the screen it might help.

Not sure exactly what you are saying about the next section bit, can you reference a video? The lane explodes once you reach the end of a stem, you can tell when the stem is ending because the line linking the notes runs out.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the campaign once on Beginner (lol) and am now on my Advanced run and I love it. Blind guesses for the next segment are bullshit though, at least things are a bit easier when you don't have to change over already completed lanes like in Amp 1. And I gotta say, I like a lot of the songs, boss and bonus tunes are especially cool. Only played Freezepop in Quickplay so far an that was awesome as well.

Oh and fuuuuuck that visual effect at the end of the campaign. They need to tone that down or let you disable it in an update.

antitrop

The Skullgirls song is probably my favorite to play, that and the Crypt of the NecroDancer track.

I'm on Expert now, but haven't unlocked Super, yet. What do you have to do to get Super, finish the campaign on Expert?

Rated-G

Well, I guess the soundtrack IS supposed to be only 10 tracks....

via Harmonix response to me on Kickstarter said:
"The Amplitude digital soundtrack consists of 10 core tracks off of the concept album. We wanted to tell as much of the story through the digital soundtrack as we could, so we included the core tracks with lyrics and omitted ones that were just instrumentals."

I suppose that also makes it easier to produce a vinyl version... But I'm disappointed I can't listen to Dreamer as of yet. At least Phantoms is available to purchase.

I actually assume it's intended. Not just in terms of "try not to sequence lanes such that you have to jump that far," but also managing distances between the last note of one lane and the first note of the next lane. I can even see high-level play that prioritizes lanes with tons of notes to get the highest score possible.

In the context of the campaign, though, you don't get much room to experiment. It's really in quickplay that you can freely replay things and try different routes.

Well, I guess the soundtrack IS supposed to be only 10 tracks....

I suppose that also makes it easier to produce a vinyl version... But I'm disappointed I can't listen to Dreamer as of yet. At least Phantoms is available to purchase.

Cool, thanks for this info. Nice to see HMX confirming it is a concept album and I am not just a crazy person making insane connections that don't exist. I mean, I am also that too.

tumblr_inline_nyw49zP7EG1tengrp_540.png

▼▼ Ah, cool. Had not seen that info. Thanks.

Rated-G

Cool, thanks for this info. Nice to see HMX confirming it is a concept album and I am not just a crazy person making insane connections that don't exist. I mean, I am also that too.

The product page on the PlayStation site also kind of confirms that, not sure if you'd seen it, but it's been up since October at the very least:

"The new Amplitude will be treated like a classic, sci-fi concept album. There is a narrative that runs through the game and surfaces in many ways through the visuals, music and song lyrics."

"In 2112, Nanotechnologists at the Applied Meta-Prionics Limbic Tuning Department will create organic machines that can be inserted into the human brain to access both the physical and metaphysical secrets within. In an attempt to induce synesthesia, a “gift” that one of the technologists has, Mari programs a new batch of bots to enter her mind and unlock this enhanced visual/aural perception. This deluge of imagery and sound is overwhelming and unfortunately, Mari’s brain shuts down. You will use the AMPLITUDE Operating System to enter Mari’s memories, senses and emotions. There you will blast away the protective scarification that her brain has created around these synesthetic senses and bring her back to life."

Although it doesn't seem like the
name "Mari" made it to the final version.
There was also an early look YouTube video back in April of last year that pretty much explained the same plot, adding that
most if not all of the songs in the campaign feature female vocalists to represent the host's mind.

PedroRVD

Keep an eye out for the pillars of light that denote the next lane. I know it sounds impossible but once you get used to looking out for them a few notes before the end of your current lane it becomes natural almost immediately. There are a few tricky spots for sure, but most of the time you can figure out your next lane and the position of the note way ahead of jumping to it.

Look at how tight the timing is in this screenshot. The last note is basically RIGHT before the next note in the lane two over, but if you are ready then it isn't a shock changing lanes, it feels very natural.

8T3akLl.png

So valuable information.

I just watched videos on youtube and I can't believe I never noticed that the first note on next lane glows. In fact I can't unsee it now.

Can't wait to play tonight.

And please, if somebody finds Dreamer...tell me :(

cj_iwakura

Aw hell.

I redeemed my code on PlayStation 3 and do not see the game, help!

The team is still hard at work finishing development on the PS3 version of Amplitude, it will be released in the coming months.

Months?

ryseing

Consider me among those who thinks the amount of time they give you to to identify the first note on a new track can really be fucking bullshit, sometimes. Even with the first notes being highlighted, sometimes they're just completely off screen.

Worse than that is when the note chart angles itself such that you can't see any of the notes that are coming at you. That's not fun, it's just fucking frustrating. I get that it's really the only time that paying attention to the white line that connects notes is important, but you're still basically just guessing at the timing.

I liked Rock Band Unplugged more. Didn't play Blitz, but that's basically the same as Unplugged, right?

My biggest problem with Amplitude is that there are far too many places where the game just makes me basically guess at a note, or even an entire string of notes.

Nah, Blitz is closer to Frequency/Amplitude. Unplugged is really just Rock Band without instruments since it has fail states and what not.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone know if there's a way to purchase the PS4 Amplitude soundtrack? I couldn't find much mention of it online.

BiggNife

1. Perfect Brain
2. Wet Ware
3. Recession
4. Break For Me
5. Decode Me
6. Astrosight
7. Human Love
8. Supraspatial
9. Digital Paralysis
10. Dalatecht

Was the soundtrack only at a certain tier? I backed at $35. I'd love to listen to a clean version of Supraspatial but it doesn't look like anyone uploaded it to youtube/soundcloud/etc.

newjeruse

I have Kickstarter regret and I wasn't even aware of this when it was going on. I just wish we could have a Vita version.

Rated-G

Was the soundtrack only at a certain tier? I backed at $35. I'd love to listen to a clean version of Supraspatial but it doesn't look like anyone uploaded it to youtube/soundcloud/etc.

The $70 tier introduced the soundtrack, the digital art book, and an art print into the rewards. I still haven't received an actual email saying the soundtrack is available, so most people probably aren't aware they got it at some point this week. I'd give it a bit more time, I'm sure someone will upload it somewhere soon, and I'm hoping the other songs, particularly those not already available in some form will find their way online soon...

Top Bottom