• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude 2015 [OT] Rock The Disco Tech

cj_iwakura

Friendly reminder that if you have Amplitude PS2, it has a David Bowie song('Everyone Says Hi'), so go show him some love in his memory.

It's a boss song, no less(and pretty damn hard).

B-Dex

Do we know what governs gold bars? I managed to get them on one song but I can't tell why.

Apparently you have to beat Amplitude OS' score. But the only way to see it is to play offline then your scores don't upload.

McFadge

Finally got my hands on the game and I'm enjoying it so far. Got through the campaign on Intermediate, and got a screen saying something along the lines of needing to open all ancillary pathways? I figured it was because I didn't score higher than 10 in the final campaign area. So I played through again, got all the bonus stages up till the last one, but still had the same thing? I have 11/10 in the final area but still no dice... Am I missing something? Do I need to play through on a harder difficulty?

Edit: Just hit X and entered the bonus level, whoops. Oh god, the whole level has trippy effect.

Kumubou

I've been playing on Super for a bit and it turns out that you can't fail on Super if you have a streak active? Huh? I thought the whole point of the mode was that you had to finish the song without missing more than a few sections, but this mean that you can stumble along after running out of energy and still pass as long as you don't miss two nonconsecutive measures. It turns out that doing that is also much easier now, due to how quickly tracks respawn, so if you get on a tough pattern you almost always have the option to switch to a different track.

The tracks respawning so quickly also causes the songs to just sound weird. On the other difficulty levels, you can tell when someone is playing well as all of the tracks will be playing (and not so well when the game is almost completely silent) -- but due to how quickly everything respawns on Super, that never happens.

GenoScreams

Neo Member
Do we know what governs gold bars? I managed to get them on one song but I can't tell why.

Apparently you have to beat Amplitude OS' score. But the only way to see it is to play offline then your scores don't upload.

I played offline when my internet was down and I still got the trophies when my internet came back.

I've been playing on Super for a bit and it turns out that you can't fail on Super if you have a streak active? Huh? I thought the whole point of the mode was that you had to finish the song without missing more than a few sections, but this mean that you can stumble along after running out of energy and still pass as long as you don't miss two nonconsecutive measures. It turns out that doing that is also much easier now, due to how quickly tracks respawn, so if you get on a tough pattern you almost always have the option to switch to a different track.

The tracks respawning so quickly also causes the songs to just sound weird. On the other difficulty levels, you can tell when someone is playing well as all of the tracks will be playing (and not so well when the game is almost completely silent) -- but due to how quickly everything respawns on Super, that never happens.

It's weird that the game lies to you when you unlock Super and it says there is no recovery. But I am glad it's like that, otherwise some songs would be incredibly frustrating. Would've preferred they just made harder note tracks instead, but oh well. I do quite like that multiplier is the only power-up, if only so I never have to get another sedate which replaces something I actually want.

I actually didn't realize the tracks respawned more quickly on Super. I thought that was just how the whole game was, unlike the original. Huh, that's interesting...

btkadams

Friendly reminder that if you have Amplitude PS2, it has a David Bowie song('Everyone Says Hi'), so go show him some love in his memory.

It's a boss song, no less(and pretty damn hard).
Yep! Listened to that song all day yesterday. Can't seem to find it on Apple Music or iTunes, but it's on YouTube.

If anyone wants to check it out, it is the "Metro Mix" of Everyone Says Hi.

B-Dex

I just wrote down all of Amplitude OS' scores. I'm really close on a few songs even on advanced. So I think multiplier placement knowledge and track knowledge are the key things. My one gold song so far is wet works on advanced.

btkadams

I just wrote down all of Amplitude OS' scores. I'm really close on a few songs even on advanced. So I think multiplier placement knowledge and track knowledge are the key things. My one gold song so far is wet works on advanced.
So you CAN get gold bars on advanced? I was wondering that. The only song I have 3 gold bars with is Lights on expert.

I am not a Rock Band guru so anyone who knows better feel free to jump in and correct, but I believe the way the 'gold system' works is every song has a defined score threshold for getting gold. One song it may be 3200 points and the next it may be 2400, all depends on the song and max score possible. The threshold does not change per difficulty so if the gold rating is higher than the max score of the advanced version of the song then you flat cannot get gold on that difficulty for that song.

Likewise on Super difficulty it is "easier" to get gold just because the maximum number of notes are available, but it is harder because... the maximum number of notes are available.

Roubjon

Started playing this yesterday and I was really surprised. I never played the first Amplitude except for like, once at a friends house years ago. It's so fun, and switching lanes is really rewarding.

B-Dex

Having to unlock the bonus songs to count for an expert clear makes me hate life. I have zone 1 down no problem. But dam ICU. Can't get bars.

cj_iwakura

Yep! Listened to that song all day yesterday. Can't seem to find it on Apple Music or iTunes, but it's on YouTube.

If anyone wants to check it out, it is the "Metro Mix" of Everyone Says Hi.

Replayed it last night. I Am Hated still breaks me, good god, that guitar segment. I had to use face buttons to survive it back in the day.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know the three bar cutoff for Dalatecht on Advanced in the campaign?

Edit: nevermind, it's somewhere between 1984 and 2014 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm having trouble with lane transition. Its too fast. I clear the lane but usually lose my streak when i jump to the next lane.

Any tips on how to improve, gaf?

border

I'm having trouble with lane transition. Its too fast. I clear the lane but usually lose my streak when i jump to the next lane.

Look at the note before you change lanes. As soon as you change, hit the right button even if it seems like you will be too late or too early. The game seems like it is really forgiving about the timing of your button-press when a new section starts and you are switching lanes.

The EU codes finally started to work and I spent a couple of hours finishing the campaign on Advanced and some quickplay; got a handful of gold bars in the process. Turns out Amplitude is still great, and I actually like most of the soundtrack. I didn't have any real problems with R2, but the default layout is kind of taxing for my fingers so I might have to experiment with rewiring my brain for Upper Hand.

Light pillars are the way.

Keep an eye out for the pillars of light that denote the next lane. I know it sounds impossible but once you get used to looking out for them a few notes before the end of your current lane it becomes natural almost immediately. There are a few tricky spots for sure, but most of the time you can figure out your next lane and the position of the note way ahead of jumping to it.

Look at how tight the timing is in this screenshot. The last note is basically RIGHT before the next note in the lane two over, but if you are ready then it isn't a shock changing lanes, it feels very natural.

8T3akLl.png

Look at the note before you change lanes. As soon as you change, hit the right button even if it seems like you will be too late or too early. The game seems like it is really forgiving about the timing of your button-press when a new section starts and you are switching lanes.

Light pillars are the way.

I'll keep trying... It does seem impossible sometimes when the lanes are too far apart and i cant see shit!

Maybe try thinking of it this way. If the start of the next lane is already off screen when you are looking for it then you are looking too late. I know it is hard to glance to the side for even a moment, but you get used to tracking them instinctively. Eventually they stand out like a sore thumb.

B-Dex

Been playing all day. Still can't beat expert auto sight campaign. I need control tips for those L C R C L C R C L phrases. The speed doesn't help either. Like my hands and brain refuse to process it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could disable Sedate as a pick up, I've not once found it helpful.
Troll pick up for sure. Just got your cleanse or multiplier? Well, take sedate two lanes later...

Troll pick up for sure. Just got your cleanse or multiplier? Well, take sedate two lanes later...

The problem with Sedate is that it destroy the music . I would rather get an "auto complete" bonus that clears 1 or 2 consecutives lanes than this.

Yes i know that "flow" exists but that one clears everything and while it's not bad it's too long and leave you having to clear the lanes afterwards to get the music again.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with Sedate is that it destroy the music . I would rather get an "auto complete" bonus that clears 1 or 2 consecutives lanes than this.

Yes i know that "flow" exists but that one clears everything and while it's not bad it's too long and leave you having to clear the lanes afterwards to get the music again.
Cleanse does that. Sedate would be more useful if it would let you switch lanes more easily, but the music just doesn't get slow enough for that. Should really be shorter but some kind of super slo-mo instead.

weird, I use sedate all the time. Flow is the one that I feel is a waste except in an emergency. I haven't actually done the math so could be wrong but whenever I pop flow it feels like I am wasting a lot of points. The top end of points you can get out of flow is what, in the 70's? And then you are left with a lull afterwards where all the lanes are cleared so you have no points to earn for a bit.

Cleanse does that. Sedate would be more useful if it would let you switch lanes more easily, but the music just doesn't get slow enough for that. Should really be shorter but some kind of super slo-mo instead.

cleanse only clear the lane you are in... it's usefull when you want to recover a lane ASAP after a missing not ( and it's one of the best power-up no doubt ) but that's it.

I was more in favor of a middle ground between cleanse and flow ... like i said before something that would let me continue playing without clearing the lane. i dunno , just balance the powerup with half gained points or something

0racle

Ok I need some serious help. Literally a day and I can't get past expert campaign autosight.
Took me a while too.

Take comfort in knowing that the other songs are easier.

As for a tip getting through the segments stay on the right side with vocals

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So Super unlocks after playing through all 15 songs in campaign on Expert? Sheesh, that'll take a while...

antitrop

So Super unlocks after playing through all 15 songs in campaign on Expert? Sheesh, that'll take a while...

Ya, I don't think I can do it. I went through the campaign last night on Expert and was 1-barring a few of the last songs, so didn't even come close to unlocking the full campaign on that run. =/

The trickiest parts really make me wish the game had HO/POs, pressing a button for every single note can be too much sometimes, when they're all jumbled really close together. Any part that is a Trill is just an absolute nightmare, for me, without HOPOs.

Ok I need some serious help. Literally a day and I can't get past expert campaign autosight.

The trickiest parts really make me wish the game had HO/POs, pressing a button for every single note can be too much sometimes, when they're all jumbled really close together. Any part that is a Trill is just an absolute nightmare, for me, without HOPOs.

It did help me realizing that the game is literally nothing but HOs. The button down is all that matters. Pull-offs would be nice, but I realized that I was instinctively trying to press the button down AND release it (2 actions) as part of hitting a note, rather than just worrying about the 1 action of pressing down and then not worrying about releasing immediately.

In the sweeping sections the reason this matters is you effectively change L, C, R from 6 actions to 4 actions. If you think about each note as 2 actions (button down/up) then a sweep looks like this:

L - 2 actions (down/up)
C - 2 actions (down/up)
R - 2 actions (down/up)
[6 actions total]

However if you change it to being all hammer-ons then you can change the button release to being all at the same time, effectively as 1 action:

L - 1 action (down)
C - 1 action (down)
R - 1 action (down)
1 action (up on all buttons)
[4 actions total]

It has the added bonus that since it is not trying to mimic a guitar that there is no concept of higher notes cancelling out lower notes, so you can apply this in any direction and in any combination of non-repeating notes. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing, notating this sort of stuff is hard so I'll elaborate if that was all moon speak.

AMA on Reddit right now with Harmonix

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/40tibt/we_are_harmonix_we_make_rock_band_and_the/

Answer about DLC:

Right now, as you've seen, there’s no plan for DLC. That doesn’t mean there can never be one, just that there isn’t one right now. It depends how well the game sells over the coming weeks/months and what the appetite would be for additional songs through DLC. We also need to consider what the additional tracks could/should/would be. Would they be more in-house music? Other indie game tracks like the ones from Transistor and Crypt of the Necrodancer? Remixed songs from bonkers-cool musicians that haven’t had songs in video games before? It’s definitely something we’ve thought about, and we really hope that it happens, but it’s too early to say for sure one way or the other right now. Developing DLC is expensive, and even if we're charging for it, there needs to be a big enough install base for it to make sense.

Answer about PS3 version:

The PS3 version is currently in development. We're currently targeting Spring 2016 for a release.

antitrop

It did help me realizing that the game is literally nothing but HOs. The button down is all that matters. Pull-offs would be nice, but I realized that I was instinctively trying to press the button down AND release it (2 actions) as part of hitting a note, rather than just worrying about the 1 action of pressing down and then not worrying about releasing immediately.

Good advice, thanks.

true Gek

Questions time:

- Wich is the best control scheme?
- Any suggestion on how to handle the hardest difficulties? I'm only able to play with the second option and my fingers can't handle the fast stream of notes T__T

border

David Bowie was supposed to be in the original Amplitude, but was cut because they couldn't find a feasible way to prevent players from editing/altering the Bowie avatar:

FblBdi0.jpg

B-Dex

I can't believe how bad I am doing today. Like no progress really. I can make it to the second gate consistantoy now. Something I guess.

I don't think I'll ever get the fluid intelligence trophy at this point

5taquitos

So I had one bar on Concept and a score of 900-something that I set on Advanced. I 3-barred it today on Intermediate with a lower score, and it still says I only have one bar. Is this intended?

Top Bottom