• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude 2015 [OT] Rock The Disco Tech

Famassu

I feel like Harmonix should try offering Amplitude as a PS+ game, but do it in a way that they have, like, 20-30 DLC songs available for purchase the same day it's made available through PS+. I feel like that could maybe be their road to success with this game. They need to get more people invested in the game and then launch an aggressive DLC song push for the game to try make the most out of it.

cj_iwakura

Sony announced Amplitude PS3 is out April 5th.

Awesome, probably going to just quietly appear on the store without much fanfare.
I feel like Harmonix should try offering Amplitude as a PS+ game, but do it in a way that they have, like, 20-30 DLC songs available for purchase the same day it's made available through PS+. I feel like that could maybe be their road to success with this game. They need to get more people invested in the game and then launch an aggressive DLC song push for the game to try make the most out of it.

Yeah, this 'we only had money for one little project so let's send it to die' approach isn't doing them any favors.

FyreWulff

being a dork i wanted to see how much got hit in the ps3 version even though i've been playing it on ps4.

30 fps (but it seems the ship/inputs are going at 60fps?)
all real time lighting is gone and lighting downgraded, backgrounds nerfed
all particle and so on are mostly gone or downgraded (obviously)
sedate doesn't show it's full screen effect anymore. basically all full screen effects are gone.
Flow doesn't even really let you freestyle. It seems the button modifiers are gone completely and it just continues playing the normal song while it's active. maybe it's emitting a pitch. You can only really just move the ship around during Flow.

being a dork i wanted to see how much got hit in the ps3 version even though i've been playing it on ps4.

30 fps (but it seems the ship/inputs are going at 60fps?)
all real time lighting is gone and lighting downgraded, backgrounds nerfed
all particle and so on are mostly gone or downgraded (obviously)
sedate doesn't show it's full screen effect anymore. basically all full screen effects are gone.
Flow doesn't even really let you freestyle. It seems the button modifiers are gone completely and it just continues playing the normal song while it's active. maybe it's emitting a pitch. You can only really just move the ship around during Flow.
That sounds like a pretty big hit. Sucks for those looking to the PS3 version for the complete experience.

FyreWulff

I'm stuck at the second boss song on PS3, so I don't know if tunnel mode is in the ps3 version yet btw.

The "ship flying over the tracks" cutscene is also gone when you clear an area of the brain. it just shows a static "region cleared!" image with the ship.

load times are good

i imagine flow took a hit because anything that needs to use a lot of sound fx / soundfonts would run out of RAM pretty fast on PS3. It's very obvious this game was made for PS4 first and then ported back.

leaderboards are cross-platform. saves are not cross platform.

FyreWulff

So I made it to the end in the ps3 version. the ending changes

During the "I can see..." part, the freakout effect no longer moves with the beat, and is done as a really slow after image style instead of the 'outline' version of the PS4. Also, the background stays bright and cheery, instead of a dark gloom. It's not really harder or easier to play during this part, it's just.. different.

Freq mode is still in the PS3 version for completing the campaign.

So I made it to the end in the ps3 version. the ending changes

During the "I can see..." part, the freakout effect no longer moves with the beat, and is done as a really slow after image style instead of the 'outline' version of the PS4. Also, the background stays bright and cheery, instead of a dark gloom. It's not really harder or easier to play during this part, it's just.. different.

Freq mode is still in the PS3 version for completing the campaign.

Is the trophy list for PS3 & PS4 shared ?

Played the demo and liked it. Felt it was sometimes difficult to change instruments and keep the streak going.

Songs were really nice. I noticed there is local MP and am very curious about the modes.

How fun are they? Too bad there's no DLC, but this seems like a game worth buying. Though Im kind of thinking it will come to PS+ too

FyreWulff

Played the demo and liked it. Felt it was sometimes difficult to change instruments and keep the streak going.

You'll get used to that, don't worry about it at first. You have to basically learn to play the note as you're switching to the track at the same time - you'll get it in time.

Though Im kind of thinking it will come to PS+ too

Personally I don't think it will. Partly because Sony is stingy about first party IP on Plus, but also because they may not even have the right to do so re: the music licenses. Harmonix has to clear with the licensees to even put their Rock Band packs on sale, IIRC

^ thanks man.

Seems like I missed a sale in February ($13.99). I wonder if there will be another one soon. Very tempted to pick it up anyway. It seems very cult classic status, I dont see many Gaffers talking about it

Flipyap

Just felt awkward using R1, L1 and R2.

Should be L1, Touchpad and R1.
The game has a bunch of button layouts. You might like the Upper Hand layout (L1, ◼/✖, R1).
I've struggled quite a bit to find a control scheme that worked for me and so far Upper Hand seems to make the most sense.

FyreWulff

Also protip: Harmonix put logic in for the triggers (which I'm sure carries over to the PS3 version) where the game is smart enough to not require you to completely let the trigger return to neutral to register a new press. As long as it detects some backwards travel, pressing in again will count as a new hit.

Im using blitz. Dpad and face buttons.

Trying to get used to using left and down on dpad and circle for right shot.

Ive never played the older amp games. I love the first three songs.

Any news on dlc? Seems this game is going to go out quietly and never get talked about again. What about hope for a sequel?

FyreWulff

Im using blitz. Dpad and face buttons.

Trying to get used to using left and down on dpad and circle for right shot.

Ive never played the older amp games. I love the first three songs.

Any news on dlc? Seems this game is going to go out quietly and never get talked about again. What about hope for a sequel?

DLC isn't coming. "Amplitude's development is over". It didn't sell enough to make DLC viable. All the songs that were going to be DLC were just integrated into the game itself after it was delayed.

So I decided to buy this

Played 2/3rds of the campaign

I am disappointed that none of the tracks have matched the three in the demo. Hoping there are some better ones

FyreWulff

So I decided to buy this

Played 2/3rds of the campaign

I am disappointed that none of the tracks have matched the three in the demo. Hoping there are some better ones

Concept, Phantoms, Lights, Necrodancer are my highlights of the non-campaign ones.

I'll admit, it took me a while for the campaign 'album' to gel, but I like it better now that I've seen the whole story than when I first got it. Out of that though, Astrosight and Dalatecht (the later boss songs) are my faves. Except for the goddamn snake on Astrosight.

Deft Beck

Concept, Phantoms, Lights, Necrodancer are my highlights of the non-campaign ones.

I'll admit, it took me a while for the campaign 'album' to gel, but I like it better now that I've seen the whole story than when I first got it. Out of that though, Astrosight and Dalatecht (the later boss songs) are my faves. Except for the goddamn snake on Astrosight.

You should have heard Dalatecht live at the Amplitude party. Blew the house down.

Kelthink

I still can't believe that guy (Single White Infidel? Such a neckbeard name) paid $7500 to have his song in the game. It's one of the worst things I've ever heard! He would have been better splashing the cash on music lessons and decent albums.

I'm assuming there's no way to remap the controls? I use triangle to hit the center notes, so I'd like to have both L and R mapped to L1 and R1 respectively.

FyreWulff

I'm assuming there's no way to remap the controls? I use triangle to hit the center notes, so I'd like to have both L and R mapped to L1 and R1 respectively.

You can remap everything via the PS4 OS to get that if none of the in-game remaps work.

Settings -> Accessibility -> Button Assignments

Unless you're on PS3... then whoops.

Took a few plays but the soundtrack eventually grew on me as well. Think of it more like level design in b minor.

That exact config is available in the game's setting. Don't remember how to navigate off hand, but dig around in the options, you'll find it.

e: and since there look to be an influx of new players with the PS3 release. I did my best to sum up some of the game's nuance in previous posts. Seemed to be helpful to some, so maybe give them a read.

Lane transitioning:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191604690#post191604690

Sweeping technique (Bit more of an advanced thing, don't worry about this if you are just starting):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192091389#post192091389

What does the boost that throws you in the air do? Like, is there a way to increase your point pickup when you're zooming around the screen?

FyreWulff

What does the boost that throws you in the air do? Like, is there a way to increase your point pickup when you're zooming around the screen?

nope, the points off Flow are always the same. You can technically do nothing while it's active, it'll give you the same points.

Basically think of it as a Cleanse that hits all the tracks at once instead of just one. You can use it to save combo if you miss a note in a segment too just like Cleanse.

Best place to deploy is is when there are very little notes coming up and you have max multiplier

nope, the points off Flow are always the same. You can technically do nothing while it's active, it'll give you the same points.

Basically think of it as a Cleanse that hits all the tracks at once instead of just one. You can use it to save combo if you miss a note in a segment too just like Cleanse.

Best place to deploy is is when there are very little notes coming up and you have max multiplier

Gotcha. I like using it to fly around the screen and distract the other players on the more complex levels.

Also, using Cleanse to eliminate the upcoming powerup on the track (especially another cleanse) on someone's track is so dastardly, but oh-so-beautiful. My wife, brother-in-law, and I were playing three-player FFA last night and it was so damn fun. Ruining the upcoming powerups for one another was the perfect mix of rage and euphoria.

FyreWulff

With the recent release I think I'll stream an attempt to unlock Super (PS4). Come watch if you're curious about the game, or watch my hands explode as I fall short of the goal

-stream over-

(don't have the hardware to stream PS3 games)

edit: woomp wooomp. shoulda got one of the pre-Dalatecht songs up to 3 bars, woulda had enough for Wayfarer.

FyreWulff

annnd DONE

Cfs9JcJUEAAa46E.jpg:large

Now I have to completely relearn the game for Super : p

Kolma

Anyone get their PS3 backer code yet?
I know Harmonix said they would send it out on Thursday but there's still nothing in Backerkit.

I also know that you can rebuy Amplitude for $0.00 on PSN and then get the PS3 version free that way... but It lacks Twista beat blaster for those that backed $100+

Omg I REALLY love some of these songs. Mostly the ones sung by the females (I think they are made by Harmonix themselves)

I dont usually listen to this kind of music...but where can I get more of it, and what is it? Are there more from these artists?

Break for Me, Dreamer, the hard one that goes "I can see...", etc

cj_iwakura

Anyone get their PS3 backer code yet?
I know Harmonix said they would send it out on Thursday but there's still nothing in Backerkit.

I also know that you can rebuy Amplitude for $0.00 on PSN and then get the PS3 version free that way... but It lacks Twista beat blaster for those that backed $100+

Mine seems to have the code now, I'll check and see if it works.

cj_iwakura

Just did the first segment and the Symbion Project/Freezepop bonuses.

I feel like the 'campaign' kind of detracts from the tone of the original games. It kind of lost that exciting kick. Where's the fanfare when you clear a stage, the hype announcer('AUTOBLASTER!'), etc? It just seems... thin. Granted the PS3 version apparently has stuff removed, but still.

I like the note charts and some of the songs, but even those don't get any credit. 'Harmonix' instead of the composer? No song bios? Even the Freezepop blurb is tiny.

I'm glad we got this, but this isn't Amplitude 2, more like 1.25.

Also, having the leaderboards across all difficulties seems weird... and it's strange that the 'break' you get when you clear a section is still there in Expert, that was only for lower difficulties in Amplitude 1.

cj_iwakura

Okay, now some goods... (Almost done with the third story section)

Transitioning, as long as you don't break combo, is easier than EVER now, and I love it. Skipping sections that are empty so you can easily continue to the next available one is a godsend. It's also very clear where you have to go, once you get the hang of it. I'm also going to become hopelessly addicted to the scoreboards, I'm sure.

So far, best song: I.C.U.

Boy does the third section love it some high BPM DnB...

I assume four bars are no longer a thing?

Top Bottom