• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude 2015 [OT] Rock The Disco Tech

cj_iwakura

Heh, I met Freezepop(and Symbion since he's in the band) once. I had them sign my copies of Frequency and Amplitude, but I'll never forget what Kasson told me when I was praising him for his tracks.

It's just game music.

Synless

I have Kickstarter regret and I wasn't even aware of this when it was going on. I just wish we could have a Vita version.
That would have been a much better deal than getting the PS4 and PS3 version. I mean, what the fuck am I going to do with a PS3 version? Nothing. A vita version to play on the go would have been sublime.

cj_iwakura

That would have been a much better deal than getting the PS4 and PS3 version. I mean, what the fuck am I going to do with a PS3 version? Nothing. A vita version to play on the go would have been sublime.

Well, speaking as a PS3 owner, it'll be nice that I get to play it too. You can always use remote play to play the Vita version(I assume).

Synless

Well, speaking as a PS3 owner, it'll be nice that I get to play it too. You can always use remote play to play the Vita version(I assume).
I'm speaking more from a crossbuy perspective. Not saying they shouldn't have made the PS3 version, but more or less should have made a vita version too. I would have paid extra for one.

Conduit

Banned
Damn...That game on expert.....
Keyboard_Smash.gif

cj_iwakura

I'm speaking more from a crossbuy perspective. Not saying they shouldn't have made the PS3 version, but more or less should have made a vita version too. I would have paid extra for one.

For the trigger players, I can see it being very frustrating. I could probably manage, though.

newjeruse

I tried using remote play and it's really only playable on intermediate. Once you get to advanced, the lag gets bad.

CS_Dan

I never played the old games, but played a decent amount of both RB Unplugged and Blitz. I've jumped in on advanced difficulty and am not having a huge amount of trouble hitting notes, but I'm really struggling to keep streaks going when switching lanes.
I realise the next first note glows etc but it doesn't seem to really help. I also have the annoying habit of hitting the next note after finishing a sequence, which also breaks the streak. As a result I'm really struggling with the multiplier barriers.

I guess it's just practice but it's frustrating because it often doesn't feel like the lane switches are possible.

5taquitos

I never played the old games, but played a decent amount of both RB Unplugged and Blitz. I've jumped in on advanced difficulty and am not having a huge amount of trouble hitting notes, but I'm really struggling to keep streaks going when switching lanes.
I realise the next first note glows etc but it doesn't seem to really help. I also have the annoying habit of hitting the next note after finishing a sequence, which also breaks the streak. As a result I'm really struggling with the multiplier barriers.

I guess it's just practice but it's frustrating because it often doesn't feel like the lane switches are possible.

The multiplier gates will always "reset" the lanes leading up to them. If you start on the far left as you approach the gate, you can easily move to the next track to complete the streak and keep your multiplier up. The reset lanes as you approach the gate are enough to build your streak from 0 to 4.

BiggNife

The $70 tier introduced the soundtrack, the digital art book, and an art print into the rewards. I still haven't received an actual email saying the soundtrack is available, so most people probably aren't aware they got it at some point this week. I'd give it a bit more time, I'm sure someone will upload it somewhere soon, and I'm hoping the other songs, particularly those not already available in some form will find their way online soon...

Well, I really hope someone uploads them soon because harmonix tweeted that they're not planning to release the soundtrack for sale and there's no sound test in the menus. Which are both utterly baffling to me in the case of a music game, but it seems like Harmonix has been making a whole bunch of questionable decisions lately.

5taquitos

Well, I really hope someone uploads them soon because harmonix tweeted that they're not planning to release the soundtrack for sale and there's no sound test in the menus. Which are both utterly baffling to me in the case of a music game, but it seems like Harmonix has been making a whole bunch of questionable decisions lately.

I really get the feeling that they expected significantly more Kickstarter money, and now they're just releasing this because they're obligated to. I expect little to no support for this title, which is unfortunate because the gameplay itself is on point.

The $70 tier introduced the soundtrack, the digital art book, and an art print into the rewards. I still haven't received an actual email saying the soundtrack is available, so most people probably aren't aware they got it at some point this week. I'd give it a bit more time, I'm sure someone will upload it somewhere soon, and I'm hoping the other songs, particularly those not already available in some form will find their way online soon...

Where do I go to get my soundtrack? I backed at the $125 tier

Jesus this game is kicking my ass on Expert. I can do most songs on Advanced but Expert is a difference. It's a huge difficulty spike. What controls are you all using just the shoulder buttons? Any tips?

antitrop

Jesus this game is kicking my ass on Expert. I can do most songs on Advanced but Expert is a difference. It's a huge difficulty spike. What controls are you all using just the shoulder buttons? Any tips?

One of the biggest tricks to Expert is learning to time your powerups properly, other than that, it's mostly just muscle memory like any other rhythm game.

The more you play, the more some of the tricky sequences start to feel natural.

I have top 3% of overall score on the leaderboard and there are still plenty of sequences I come across where I'm like "How the fuck are you supposed to do that without Hammer-ons/Pull-offs?". It's gonna happen.

PedroRVD

I really get the feeling that they expected significantly more Kickstarter money, and now they're just releasing this because they're obligated to. I expect little to no support for this title, which is unfortunate because the gameplay itself is on point.

yes, I feel the same. They seem pretty cold on the game...and things like this kinda confirm that :(

image.png

After that tip of the guy here who posted the picture with the glowing notes, my skills got significantly better :)

One of the biggest tricks to Expert is learning to time your powerups properly, other than that, it's mostly just muscle memory like any other rhythm game.

The more you play, the more some of the tricky sequences start to feel natural.

Yeah I suppose. I can play GH/RB no problem on Expert but that's with a guitar so it's a bit different. This just feels a bit off not having the 3 buttons exactly beside each other. Sometimes i just get all muddled up and lose a streak then all hell brakes loose lol. If I had a fightpad, could I change the controls to get 3 buttons in a row? I think that would make it easier.

Rated-G

Where do I go to get my soundtrack? I backed at the $125 tier

If you sign into your backer kit account, it's on the digital rewards list for the Amplitude Kickstarter, for me it was at the bottom of the list, after the PSN codes and the game/backer blaster and song codes. It should be a link.

Got the game and as a huge fan of the original I am really enjoying it. Done majority of the songs on advanced and the rest at the difficulty below (I). Got 2 more songs to unlock and I will have them all.

Some songs are a real bitch on advanced, just crazy sections at points but overall I'm doing well with scores as Hugh as top 3%.

Nothing tops the satisfaction you get from pulling off a crazy section on amplitude.

I remembered to save my top 5% Recession attempt, enjoy.
https://youtu.be/q_I1NcEDf64

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Loved the original games on PS2 so tried the demo but really hated the tracks. I guess I was expecting more metal like Powerman 5K and Fear Factory. Not keen on slapping money on this.

BiggNife

Try the Upper Hand control scheme. It took a little time to get used to but once I got the hang of it I was nailing patterns that I couldn't do with the default scheme at all.

Frabba

Neo Member
This game is everything I wanted out of an amplitude game in 2015. It hits all of the right notes for me. I'll be curious to see if they can get any sort of DLC song funnel coming, doubly so if they give lesser known artists a chance to get out there.

I've put something like 380 hours in Rockband Blitz and have the full 500/500 on it, been considering this game since the Kickstarter but I'm still unsure. The controls look quite wonky, ironically.

Fireye

Looks like a clean version of ICU made it up on James Landino's soundcloud. I like!

Edit: Looks like it got taken down, that's a shame. Hope it, and the other missing tracks, get uploaded.

antitrop

It's phenomenal, and that's one of the weaker songs.

Ya, I can think of plenty better NecroDancer tracks to include than 1-2, but I take what I can get. :)

I'm hoping that PS4/Vita version of NecroDancer drops soon here, it's been 6 months since they announced it.

yes, I feel the same. They seem pretty cold on the game...and things like this kinda confirm that :(

image.png

After that tip of the guy here who posted the picture with the glowing notes, my skills got significantly better :)

Well I mean updates are one thing but the person on Twitter is asking them to add online play...which is reallllly expensive. I don't recall the stretch goal for it but it was like around an extra 500k.

Developing good netcode is very challenging, and a game like Amplitude requires it to be nearly perfect.

5taquitos

Whoever came up with Wayfarer and decided that this crap song should be accompanied by the worst effect I've ever seen in a video game can kindly fuck off.

N-Forced

Neo Member
This game definitely needs a practice mode, I really can't figure out why they didnt add one. Coming from someone that five stared pretty much every track in both guitar hero and rock band i'm kinda struggling with half the songs in this game in expert. Alot of them are a pain in the ass to get down and having a practice mode would greatly help out.

GenoScreams

Neo Member
Managed to get gold bars on every song and ranked 35 overall. Kind of out of things to do now. I wish all the trophies were obtainable in single player...

But it's a really good game and it was definitely worth $20. I prefer the original Amplitude soundtrack, but some of these songs have grown on me too. Glad to have it digitally so I can just load it up and play a song or two whenever the mood strikes.

Schlomo

Can someone explain what the "Region Bonus" in the results screen is? Sometimes I have 100% streak but 3/10 Region Bonus, at other times I have 94% and 12/10 Region Bonus.

MrS

Banned
Can someone explain what the "Region Bonus" in the results screen is? Sometimes I have 100% streak but 3/10 Region Bonus, at other times I have 94% and 12/10 Region Bonus.
Here you go
There's three unlockable songs in the campaign, in each part you need to get 10 bars (the end of song rating) out of a possible 12 to unlock the song. If you didn't get track 15 you didn't do well enough. Gotta start the campaign again.
Getting over 90% in a song will net you 3 bars. Out of the 4 songs in a region, your goal is to get 10 bars.

BiggNife

I tweeted the Amplitude twitter and they seem insistent that they will not release the digital soundtrack in any form except to backers at $75 at above.

I'm just incredibly frustrated. There are a couple songs I'd love to have clean versions of and I'd be more than willing to pay for them, but I can't hear the clean versions at all period because they're not uploaded anywhere and Harmonix is literally not letting me give them money to get them.

I really, really don't like how HMX is handling the launch of this game, as much as I enjoy the game itself.

Despera

Banned
Been playing the game for the past couple of days and I'm still struggling with Extreme difficulty in half the songs. Takes me back to when I used to struggle with mid-tier 8B songs in DJMAX Portable.
Having a blast though. I never played Frequency or Amplitude back in the day so I definitely feel like I've missed out on these titles.

This is pretty much my playlist right now:

Dreamer
Break For Me
I.C.U
Astrosight
Dalatecht
All The Time
Crystal
Force Quit
Phantoms
Synthesized

Ya, I can think of plenty better NecroDancer tracks to include than 1-2, but I take what I can get. :)

I'm hoping that PS4/Vita version of NecroDancer drops soon here, it's been 6 months since they announced it.
I got really excited when I saw a track from crypt made it on the list, but was slightly dispppinted when I realized it was 1-2. I agree that there are a bunch of other tracks that would've been much more fun to play.

Also, I really, REALLY hope we get some Hotline Miami 2 tracks as DLC. Le Perv would be a perfect fit for this game.

JayBabay

I can beat every song in expert mostly with 3 bars, but FFS those non stop zig zag sequences (L1,R1,R2,R1,L1.....) at high speed are killing me with the R2. I've tried to switch to the O button but I'm too used to the other way by now.

oggob

Well the good news is that seems like the EU Code drama is over... my code worked this morning and alot of other reports from other people that codes are starting to work now!

Will get to play it tonight.

I was a touch disappointed with the digital soundtrack, expecting more of it. I understand the Vinyl would be touch to have all the songs on it, but they could have done the Vinyl as the concept album... and have a "bonus digital disc" with the remainder of the songs.

Top Bottom