• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like The Witness was priced correctly: week 1 sales tracking > Braid year 1

Either way, someone with 3 million total views is probably getting a lot of income from their job of playing games on the internet. So if you still can't shell out $40 then that's just sad.

Oh, I definitely agree. I'm just saying that it definitely works out in the dev's favor by a huge margin when this sort of stuff happens. Scummy, yes. An actual problem? Not really.

FelipeMGM

Curious if he means units sold or revenue.

Units? Maybe he means revenue? That seems more likely to me.

Is he talking about revenue or copies sold? If the latter then holy shit.

Its REVENUE, OP should add that to his post

Jonathan Blow said:
More by revenue. Number of copies will beat Braid's first week but not year, I don't think (maybe!)

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/693670500862550016

Blizniak said that a couple pages ago but a lot of people didnt see

I feel this is important to include here:

‏@Jonathan_Blow
More by revenue. Number of copies will beat Braid's first week but not year, I don't think (maybe!)
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/693670500862550016

So one day piracy prevents him to make another game and next day 1st week sales are giving him solid signs that he will be able to make another more ambitious project.

Yeah like I said in the piracy tweet thread, piracy hurts a lot of games but most of the times when you see your game in the top pirated games it's also in the top paid games. Not saying that seing piracy is good but things shouldn't be considered only by the numbers you can see on some torrents sites. Success of a game is way more complex than that, even when it has all the qualities of a good game.

Good for him though, I may buy The Witness because this seems to be really a good game but having a few games to finish and with this launch price I may wait a few weeks (and if price don't go down I may still buy it, having time to play the game I buy is really my biggest constraint).

And just a note here regarding some comments since the topic is also about his previous Tweet:
Twitter is not something easy to use for professionals so if you're not used to it except for a personal usage I think you shouldn't use it. I see a lot of Indies or well known people in the gaming industry being burned by Tweets made without thinking of consequences. Here it's just that he looks like a crying baby when the next day he jumps everywhere (aka he looks stupid) but it's not hurtful at all and the news at the end is a good one so again congrats to him ;)

Edit: Ok bought.... I have to try it (and I'll play it properly in a few weeks). So here is another sale ^^

I guess? The PSP and DS were heavily pirated and at the same time the most successful handhelds ever..

That's good for the hardware producers, but not so much for the software makers. Nintendo made a good chunk of change off me for replacing 3-4 broken DS's so I could keep plowing through my R4 loaded w/ 100+ roms, but none of the replacement fees went to any of the software companies (unless the software maker was Nintendo.)

Yeah, well, i'm going to wait until the game is 10 cents on Steam!

Scratch that, I'm gonna wait until Blow PAYS ME to play the game!

please get banned shit junior

Backseat modding and junior shaming in one atrocious post, well done.

Anyway, glad the game is selling well.

Chû Totoro;193821629 said:
Here it's just that he looks like a crying baby when the next day he jumps everywhere (aka he looks stupid) but it's not hurtful at all and the news at the end is a good one so again congrats to him ;)

Looked like a crying baby, because of those tweets? Really?

Maybe he should think a bit more like that, but that would be more a question about thinking about what audience you have, rather then there being something actual wrong about the tweets.

Looked like a crying baby, because of those tweets? Really?

Maybe he should think a bit more like that, but that would be more a question about thinking about what audience you have, rather then there being something actual wrong about the tweets.

Yeah calling him a crying baby is exaggerated but like I said complaining that piracy is that big that it will probably destroy your chances of still developing games when the next day you say that your 1st week sales are above one of the biggest indie success I can't help but think that he didn't think long enough before making the 1st Tweet.

And regarding the audience I find it not to be a good move too because when you talk about piracy while there's obviously a good and big chunk of gamers interested in your games you are looking in the wrong direction. Don't look at pirates and look at your audience and just thanking them for the support is the way to go.

I'm not saying his Tweets were inherently bad but they had at least a bad timing. Too soon and not in the best order imo... talking about great sales and then saying that even if he's hearing the price remarks he doesn't think that pirating is the best way to keep the industry going forward then I would have slowclap this gentleman.

But yeah I understand what you say and like always a little thing gets bigger than it should. Now it made us discuss piracy impact on sales and the way some devs should communicate so we kind of elevate the debate a little :p

woen

Visually it instantly reminds me of Myst, I imagine that's intentional. But if what you say about Fez is true then that reinforces my worries about the game. It may be not for me as I had similar issues with Braid.

I didn't play the game yet, I read that from a critic that compared the structure (but he didn't really go into details). Although FEZ was really hard to get into, from the reactions I've read it seems that The Witness is easier to get into because of the graphics, 3D open world and possibilities, but you can get blocked for hours before solving problems, and like FEZ you'll need to use your mind and play with real pen, paper etc.

Even if the game has a sweet media campaign and sweet graphics, it's still a niche and hard puzzle games that won't please everyone, and more specifically lots of people are worried of not being the target. So knowing this and that you can't really play a demo (unless you use illegal copy on PC)*, the 40$ price can be an issue. ("I don't want to spend so much money on a game that I maybe will only play 1, 2, or 4 hours because I don't know if I'll stay interested or that I'll can resolve challenges")

*and I understand why it hasn't any free legal demo, at least on day one

Hopefully a price drop later and more deep feedback from people — especially those who are not used to puzzle brainy games — could still get these people to buy the game.

So we are going to ignore that the Witness launched on 2 platforms over Braids 1?

Not to mention the market for indies have changed significantly, for better and worse.

Im sure Blow is happy, which is the main thing but this whole "the price was right >>> look at these sales" looks incredibly reductive.

That said, ive noticed that becoming a trend in any thread regarding this game...

Chû Totoro;193821629 said:
So one day piracy prevents him to make another game and next day 1st week sales are giving him solid signs that he will be able to make another more ambitious project.
To be fair, he did not claim that piracy "prevents" him from making another game, but rather that piracy would "not help us afford to make another game", which seems like a truism to me. He obviously need people to actually buy (and not just pirate) TW if he is to afford other (similar) projects.

Excellent. I've been avoiding all threads on this game because I'm getting a ton of enjoyment in figuring out puzzle rule sets (which are incidentally spoiled really easily even if specific solutions aren't), but it's really great. I'm not a puzzle game fan, but this feels more like language learning than puzzling in some ways.

Chû Totoro;193822301 said:
Yeah calling him a crying baby is exaggerated but like I said complaining that piracy is that big that it will probably destroy your chances of still developing games when the next day you say that your 1st week sales are above one of the biggest indie success I can't help but think that he didn't think long enough before making the 1st Tweet.

What the hell is wrong with some of you? He said pirating his games will not help him make a new one. Thats it. That's a true statement and it will continue to be true. I wanna see a quote of the bolded.

Jesus christ some of you have twisted his tweets to mean something completely different and extremely salty in your heads, its amazing.

nib95

Banned
I think it's a really special and unique game, and I'm big fan of Braid too. Glad it's a success, and can't wait for the next title. Just hope it doesn't take as long to actually arrive lol.

So we are going to ignore that the Witness launched on 2 platforms over Braids 1?

Not to mention the market for indies have changed significantly, for better and worse.

Im sure Blow is happy, which is the main thing but this whole "the price was right >>> look at these sales" looks incredibly reductive.

That said, ive noticed that becoming a trend in any thread regarding this game...

Why does it matter if it was released on two platforms, and why does it matter if the indie market has changed? How does that invalidate the line "it looks like the price was right" when the game has sold well enough to make a lot of money in it's first week? He said they would have enough money to make another game of the same budget, so why do any of your points even matter? I don't get it... yeah it was released on two platforms and sold faster (or made money faster) than the one that was originally sold on one platform. Ok...so? that's the point of putting it on two platforms

JP

Good,

It truly is an amazing game he's put so much into it, so I'm really happy that it's selling well.

I can't help but be pleased by this. The Witness is a great game; its price shouldn't be determined because it's 'just an indie game,' or that it was made by a fraction of the staff of the average AAA game.

hwy_61

Banned
Even though I kind of regret buying it, because I just think I'm too stupid for this game, it's totally deserving of the success it's getting.

Proud of you JB.

What the hell is wrong with some of you? He said pirating his games will not help him make a new one. Thats it. That's a true statement and it will continue to be true. I wanna see a quote of the bolded.

Jesus christ some of you have twisted his tweets to mean something completely different and extremely salty in your heads, its amazing.

Yeah if we look at wording precisely it says that pirated games won't help them afford to make another game... well if there's nothing implied here since he mentioned the 1st place in dl on a torrent site then it's just the most obvious thing possible regarding piracy... yeah it seems a pirated game won't contribute in sales and won't give devs money for making the next one. How surprising :eek:

So for you what does the tweet means, implies or try to say? Just that 1 pirated game is not a sold one? :eek:
Then no need to Tweet. It's a PR tool for him now so to handle with care.

And if you think he was saying more than the obvious then I'm curious to see what you understand from the said Tweet. I personally see someone who's pointing the fact that since his game is 1st pirated game on a big torrent site he may have difficulties to make another game. And if that's the point I'm sorry to repeat myself but it can't be seen as a sole reasons for failure (and I4m glad that his game seems to be a success).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
My 7 y.o. son loves it so I'm glad for Blow. We be at the PC trying to beat each other at solving the puzzles...lol.

Nzyme32

38000 +- 4000 copies were sold on steam so far. Either Braid sold poorly in its first year, or the witness sold much better on PS4

SteamSpy is not accurate in such a short time period, also confirmed by Jonathan Blow, who said the numbers are lower than what they have

I think it's a really special and unique game, and I'm big fan of Braid too. Glad it's a success, and can't wait for the next title. Just hope it doesn't take as long to actually arrive lol.

If his next game is as good as The Witness, I don't mind waiting another eight years.

Why does it matter if it was released on two platforms, and why does it matter if the indie market has changed? How does that invalidate the line "it looks like the price was right" when the game has sold well enough to make a lot of money in it's first week? He said they would have enough money to make another game of the same budget, so why do any of your points even matter? I don't get it... yeah it was released on two platforms and sold faster (or made money faster) than the one that was originally sold on one platform. Ok...so? that's the point of putting it on two platforms

Well launching at nearly 3 times the price on and on twice the platforms does make making the launch bigger in terms of revenue a bit more of a forgone conclusion, wouldnt you think?

My point is only you cannot reduce this to a like for like comparison.

Well launching at nearly 3 times the price on and on twice the platforms does make making the launch bigger in terms of revenue a bit more of a forgone conclusion, wouldnt you think?

You can't really.

But if this is a jab at people whining about the $40 bucks you can still point out that this game costs over 2x as much as his last one and has sold much more fantastically than Braid did.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
I'm glad the games doing well. It puzzles me why when his product is doing so well he decided to make a somewhat dramatic tweet about something that literally affects every single product that is released digitally.
Focus on keeping your paying customers happy and don't worry about the other BS.

Well.. I have a backlog and I had decided to wait buying The Witness until I got my Oculus Rift. But when I saw the piracy stuff yesterday I decided to do my part of the counterweight and hand out my money earlier, so I bought it anyway. And then I see this thread..

Jonathan, it worked

Launch week revenue>first year revenue a foregone conclusion? Not really.

Zia

So it's likely to crack 100k sold between the two platforms in its first week, right?

Pretty dope. Even if it's not your cup of tea, The Witness is amazing in how holistic it is. It's like if Journey were a video game.

Nzyme32

Well.. I have a backlog and I had decided to wait buying The Witness until I got my Oculus Rift. But when I saw the piracy stuff yesterday I decided to do my part of the counterweight and hand out my money earlier, so I bought it anyway. And then I see this thread..

I'm enjoying the game though (albeit I'd like a little more "life" in the game, a butterfly or a bird, some animated trees, any animation..), and it's even worth 60 dollars I think.

The piracy tweets were inflated over the tweets thanks to games journalism, which Jonathan Blow also agrees with in a recent tweet. In the end his two tweets on the matter were on the 2nd day of availability and with a DRM free option available right out of the gate. Being at the top of a torrent chart for games on a few sites is absolutely standard. The day after, Rise of the Tomb Raider took its place at the top and the Witness dropped to 3rd, and now it is lower still.

you sound so sure.

why?

Not to defend but there have been studies showing that 1 download = 1 lost sale is a logical fallacy. Usually the actual percentage is in the 10-20% range for lost sales. Many other industries had admitted to grossly overstating the impact of piracy and have commissioned and then rejected studies that disprove the 1=1 destination. I can't find that article on Arstechnica (render reading it around 2005), but here is another article about a study performed by the Institute for Policy Innovation.

Note I'm not condoning piracy. I am just pointing out that research has found that not every illegal download represents a lost sale.

It's how things were reported and preconceived notions about this game/Blow. Websites took a narrative with the tweets which colored people's impressions about what was said. Also twitter is a terrible platform for getting information across.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A cursory glance tells me this hasn't been posted:

ISjaV9c.png

You can put away those crocodile tears, you-know-who-you-are. Turns out releasing a game on the PC isn't so bad after all.

Piracy on the PC is an unfortunate reality, yes, but that doesn't mean having a PC version is an inherently bad idea.

you know, judging from that tweet and the guy who responds to him, it's questionable if he actually CAN spot a pirated copy. the streamer with 3mil views responds and blow "no comment"s him and the guy posts up his steam receipt to prove he bought it. lower in the comment thread, blow says outright that they didn't add any funny business into the game for pirates.

Apparently the game was missing shadows on AMD gpus at release. If a streamer didn't have shadows after the patch was issued then odds are they pirated it.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
Not to defend but there have been studies showing that 1 download = 1 lost sale is a logical fallacy. Usually the actual percentage is in the 10-20% range for lost sales. Many other industries had admitted to grossly overstating the impact of piracy and have commissioned and then rejected studies that disprove the 1=1 destination. I can't find that article on Arstechnica (render reading it around 2005), but here is another article about a study performed by the Institute for Policy Innovation.

Note I'm not condoning piracy. I am just pointing out that research has found that not every illegal download represents a lost sale.

Even that seems too high. The gaming industry had somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 billion dollars in revenue in 2015, so over 9 billion dollars was lost due to piracy? In some ways I hope Denuvo becomes the defacto standard so we can finally get some accurate numbers by looking at year-to-year figures.

Ran rp

Good. I couldn't believe games like Transistor were only $20 at launch. I thought it would have been $40 minimum. Glad to see The Witness succeed at this price.

Even that seems too high. The gaming industry had somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 billion dollars in revenue in 2015, so over 9 billion dollars was lost due to piracy? In some ways I hope Denuvo becomes the defacto standard so we can finally get some accurate numbers by looking at year-to-year figures.

You're analyzing in the wrong direction. Start with the quantity of pirated downloads, some average cost number, and apply your 10%. Would be incredibly difficult to analyze because buying habits are so complex, especially in the PC space.

Top Bottom