• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Finished Trails of Cold Steel.

As I was wrapping the final chapter up, I was going to comment that I found it interesting the quiet note the game was choosing to wrap up on and how the story was relatively self contained. Then all hell broke lose. Oh boy, I expected absolutely none of that. Who could've guess Trails could turn into a
mech game
? Still, the game manages to pull it off. Cannot wait to see where this goes. Glad CSII is already confirmed for localization and coming soon.

I won't say too much about my thoughts on the overall game, but I really dug it. It's a bit slow, but the game does a great job building up Erebonia as a place and setting a great stage while also creating an interesting cast that was just fun to see interact with one another. I don't think they're as charming as the Trails in the Sky SC cast, but they have a whole game to get there. I do think I like them more than I did the Sky cast after FC overall, so I can't wait to play another game with them. I think Falcom is slowly dialing in how to do one of these slower intro chapters and they seem to know how to pay it off, so that's exciting.

Honestly, my biggest complaint with the game is the framerate on the Vita. Holy crap it gets baaaaad. Any time the game has more than like 6-7 people on screen, it chugs. Hopefully Falcom tunes the engine to get it to a more acceptable level. Good thing this is a turn based game and the framey-ness doesn't get in the way of actually playing all that much.

Wrapped it up just in time to start Digimon: Cyber Sleuth. This has been a hell of a good few months for the Vita.

I'll never understand the concept of a guilty pleasure. Who gives a shit what someone else thinks of what you like? Embrace your weirdness. Unless you're a bronie. You can stay ashamed.

It was the moment people began to embrace that term that the shame came too strong.

The show had its ups and downs in writing quality and Weird Al has a hell of a guest character.

As I was wrapping the final chapter up, I was going to comment that I found it interesting the quiet note the game was choosing to wrap up on and how the story was relatively self contained. Then all hell broke lose. Oh boy, I expected absolutely none of that. Who could've guess Trails could turn into a
mech game
? Still, the game manages to pull it off. Cannot wait to see where this goes. Glad CSII is already confirmed for localization and coming soon.

I won't say too much about my thoughts on the overall game, but I really dug it. It's a bit slow, but the game does a great job building up Erabonia as a place and setting a great stage while also creating an interesting cast that was just fun to see interact with one another. I don't think they're as charming as the Trails in the Sky SC cast, but they have a whole game to get there. I do think I like them more than I did the Sky cast after FC overall, so I can't wait to play another game with them. I think Falcom is slowly dialing in how to do one of these slower intro chapters and they seem to know how to pay it off, so that's exciting.

Honestly, my biggest complaint with the game is the framerate on the Vita. Holy crap it gets baaaaad. Any time the game has more than like 6-7 people on screen, it chugs. Hopefully Falcom tunes the engine to get it to a more acceptable level. Good thing this is a turn based game and the framey-ness doesn't get in the way of actually playing all that much.

Welcome to the post CS1 life where the pain of waiting for the sequel gets worse each day! Also yeah,
turning into a mech game and introducing a revamped battle system at the end was super nuts and gave me some Xenogears/Saga vibes.

And that framerate during the
festival
was baaaaaaaad lol.

yami4ct

Welcome to the post CS1 life where the pain of waiting for the sequel gets worse each day! Also yeah,
turning into a mech game and introducing a revamped battle system at the end was super nuts and gave me some Xenogears/Saga vibes.

And that framerate during the
festival
was baaaaaaaad lol.

After going through the Trails in the Sky SC wait, this feels like nothing. Not only are we 100% sure it's coming, but it's coming soon. That's like heaven to me. Hopefully we get a confirmation that the series is continuing in the West soon after that and a Cold Steel 3, Sky 3rd, or Azure announcement.

I was shocked by the performance in some parts. The game looks decent for a Vita game, but it doesn't look so crazy that it feels like the game should be chugging like it does. The
Festival
was easily the worst performing part of the game, but any time all of Class VII was on screen at the same time the game started crawling. Hopefully they do some optimization in the sequels and sort that out.

yami4ct

Having played Trails in the Sky SC and Cold Steel nearly back to back, I probably won't go right into another play through of CS1, even if a part of me wants to. With CSII coming so quickly, I'd be a bit afraid of running into Trails fatigue (if such a thing is even possible).

I also really want to get through Digimon and Fire Emblem, so those are in the spotlight for me. Maybe there's a small percentage chance I can check out XCOM and The Witness as well.

I'm not sure if I should move on to Digimon or do a quick NG+ nightmare run of ToCS.

Having played Trails in the Sky SC and Cold Steel nearly back to back, I probably won't go right into another play through of CS1, even if a part of me wants to. With CSII coming so quickly, I'd be a bit afraid of running into Trails fatigue (if such a thing is even possible).

I also really want to get through Digimon and Fire Emblem, so those are in the spotlight for me. Maybe there's a small percentage chance I can check out XCOM and The Witness as well.

NG+ run is super quick. You can finish it in about 20 hours or so by holding the O button to fast forward through all the cutscenes. Nightmare run is super easy at first, but when you get to chapter 6, that
C fight is fucking rough, but really fun..

I'm on the last chapter/dungeon now and it's been fun to run through it again and pick up on some of the foreshadowing and even a NG+ exclusive cutscene.

After going through the Trails in the Sky SC wait, this feels like nothing. Not only are we 100% sure it's coming, but it's coming soon. That's like heaven to me. Hopefully we get a confirmation that the series is continuing in the West soon after that and a Cold Steel 3, Sky 3rd, or Azure announcement.

I was shocked by the performance in some parts. The game looks decent for a Vita game, but it doesn't look so crazy that it feels like the game should be chugging like it does. The
Festival
was easily the worst performing part of the game, but any time all of Class VII was on screen at the same time the game started crawling. Hopefully they do some optimization in the sequels and sort that out.

Well I'd hope we get a Zero announcement first since that takes place before Azure/Ao :p

And I think this is their first 3D Trails game so they probably had some issues with getting the game to run well. Hopefully CS2's performance is better, but it's not really too big a deal considering its a turn based RPG.

yami4ct

I always forget the Zero/Azure order. Googled Zero and read it was a sequel to "Sora no Kiseki" and somehow my brain read that as "Ao no Kiseki".

Man, I really want the Crossbell games. If the only way the series can continue is localizing the new stuff and going back makes no financial sense, then that's better than nothing, but man do I want to see Crossbell. Ever since Trails in the Sky, they have been politically one of the more interesting countries. Given what happens in CS, I want to see the other side even more.

So on the Bombcast, it's mentioned that Alex played Mirror Edge last E3.

I don't think they ever talked about it or it was mentioned outside of this bombcast, was it?

Firewatch |OT| Firewatch With Me

mech game

I won't say too much about my thoughts on the overall game, but I really dug it. It's a bit slow, but the game does a great job building up Erebonia as a place and setting a great stage while also creating an interesting cast that was just fun to see interact with one another. I don't think they're as charming as the Trails in the Sky SC cast, but they have a whole game to get there. I do think I like them more than I did the Sky cast after FC overall, so I can't wait to play another game with them. I think Falcom is slowly dialing in how to do one of these slower intro chapters and they seem to know how to pay it off, so that's exciting.

Wrapped it up just in time to start Digimon: Cyber Sleuth. This has been a hell of a good few months for the Vita.

45M0A2z.jpg

Welcome to the desert. Ive heard it's smaller than the last one.

post-FC/SC/CS1 spoilers:
I think FC worked perfectly as Liberl is a quiet, well-ran country. From what characters like Olivert, Cassius, Zane, and Sara tell it, and how we've seen Erebonia to be, other countries are much more violent, even chaotic in Sara's case, plus the pieces are in motion after various realpolitik and Ouroborus shenanigans in addition to increasing magitech plus excavated and reverse engineered Artifacts (and all its implies for increasing military might) which means shit's getting realer and realer by the year.

GLORIOUS.

TraBuch

Banned
Speaking of walking simulators, I think I'm gonna play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter next. Bought it on that recent sale so I might as well check it out.

Meneses

Just woke up from a dream where Demon's Souls Remastered had been announced.

Rushed to the PC only to be severely disappointed. I guess i'm not a dream prophet.

Just woke up from a dream where Demon's Souls Remastered had been announced.

Rushed to the PC only to be severely disappointed. I guess i'm not a dream prophet.

Got excited there for a second because I can't read! I wonder would they leave the World/Character Tendency and droprate stuff unchanged? That stuff is messed up.

EDIT Oh sorry Giant Bomb: Breaking Brad Demon's Souls is one of my favourite features on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom