• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch PC performance thread

GavinUK86

I've encountered that in lots of Unity games under WIndows 10.

Explicitly setting it to Gamepad in the options menu seemed to fix it for me.

Can't seem to get DSR to work though.

I don't think DSR works with Unity.

Another last-minute Firewatch patch. Hopefully this will be the one that enables HOTAS support. Or Xbox One controllers.
What's HOTAS?

Crash331

Anyone tried this on a Mac?

I have a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro with a GT650M.

I also have a PC, but but it's hard to get to my PC to play games with the kids, so I think it's either PS4 or rMBP for me.

Yeah DSR isn't working, I set it to 4k and it just ignores me and goes back to 1080p

At least I'm getting a locked 60fps (so far) at 1080p Ultra on a 970

Yeah DSR isn't working, I set it to 4k and it just ignores me and goes back to 1080p

at least its not me- was trying to downsample myself

game looks good- and runs grerat at 1080p-

no XB1 controller issues for me-but i switched controls to controller at start(?)

bes.gen

just looked at the opening areas a bit, don't know if it gets more demanding later on.

but this seems to run great.
having constant 1080p 60fps at ultra settings with a slightly overclocked 970.
(framerate hovers around 80 if i disable vsync)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unfortunately, the shadow draw distance is terrible. I assumed it would have been kicked up a few notches for the PC version.

2016-02-10_00001r1ln8.jpg

If I move forward, the higher-quality shadow map continues cascading to the left, and, likewise, if I step back a bit, the entire thing is a block-like mess.

23qwerty

just looked at the opening areas a bit, don't know if it gets more demanding later on.

but this seems to run great.
having constant 1080p 60fps at ultra settings with a slightly overclocked 970.
(framerate hovers around 80 if i disable vsync)
sounds great, thanks for the impression. can't wait to get home and play this
in 6 hours :(

Monogatari

Neo Member
Anyone having trouble with actually starting the game?

Mine loads to about 1/3 of the first loading screen and stops. Ambient noise in the background plays for a while. Have tried the usual uninstall, restart, change graphics settings. It's odd. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm dumb. Was still defaulting to my intel card even when force-running it on my nvidia. Fixed it and it runs beautifully now...thankfully!

brau

Unfortunately, the shadow draw distance is terrible. I assumed it would have been kicked up a few notches for the PC version.

If I move forward, the higher-quality shadow map continues cascading to the left, and, likewise, if I step back a bit, the entire thing is a block-like mess.

is this something you can tinker in an ini file?

dr_rus

GTA V is a truly excellent port and it ran very well. That said, I definitely feel like Tomb Raider is a better looking and more demanding game than GTA V.

Also, XCOM 2 runs like shit on my machine.. so no, not everything runs well :p

GTAV is a truly excellent port and it runs very well but there is zero problems pushing it to one digit fps numbers on a 980Ti with in-game settings. Again, doesn't mean that it's unoptimized.

Shepard

Well, I get constant 60 fps (vsync on) at 1080p with everything on Ultra. Played just the beginning (the rope segment from the E3 demo). I have a 3570 + 980.

viveks86

Deus Ex SLI bits (0x00C00005) work!

Getting 80-90 fps on 4K Ultra (Titan X SLI) now!

In-game Vsync is utter garbage though. Gotta figure out what to do about that

JaseC

is this something you can tinker in an ini file?

Doesn't seem so. There are no config files in the game's installation directory and the only config file tucked away in AppData is a C#-compiled file for keybinds.

CHC

No larger-than-desktop-resolution downsampling sucks, but that's thanks to Unity unfortunately. Hopefully there is some kind of post process AA that will work well, but I worry because of the huge amount of foliage in this game.

Durante

Standard Unity behavior is that you need to set your desktop resolution to your downsampling resolution and then it works.

Or if it's DX9 you can try GeDoSaTo :p

JaseC

No larger-than-desktop-resolution downsampling sucks, but that's thanks to Unity unfortunately. Hopefully there is some kind of post process AA that will work well, but I worry because of the huge amount of foliage in this game.

Ultra, at least, definitely has some form of AA (FXAA at a guess).

d00d3n

Wow, that is much better than what I am getting. In 5120*2160 resolution and the highest settings (ultra), the FPS count is in the range 27-40. It is usually above 30 fps at least. The SLI scaling must be fantastic in this game.

specs: 3570k@4.6, Titan X, 16 gb RAM, win 7, installed on ssd

Nillansan

That's good! Some of the knee-jerk reactions would make one believe that this is like Arkham Knight levels of bad.

I agree that the majority of folks were being overly dramatic, but some of the concerns expressed in the thread were perfectly valid due to the Unity Engine's spotty history.

GavinUK86

I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps at 1080p on Ultra with a 2600k, 8gb ram and a 970. Mostly hovers around 90fps with vsync off.

Also,
nobody warned me about getting a face pull of penis in the first 5 minutes of this game
lol.

brau

Doesn't seem so. There are no config files in the game's installation directory and the only config file tucked away in AppData is a C#-compiled file for keybinds.

really? oh bummer. I was hoping any issues would be able to just tweak around. But it is Unity. That sucks.

d00d3n

Are you sure that you are running a 4k resolution? Did you start the game from a 4k desktop resolution?

ghibli99

I agree that the majority of folks were being overly dramatic, but some of the concerns expressed in the thread were perfectly valid due to the Unity Engine's spotty history.
Right, that's why I said "some", not all.

Anyway, good to see that performance is looking smooth so far. Can't wait to play this tonight. :)

Corpekata

Banned
Seems to running well at 1440p Ultra. Too lazy to attempt to run it downsampled at the moment. 100ish FPS on 980ti. Which is, well, to expected, but other Unity games have put that expectation to the test.

viveks86

Able to lock at 4K60 with RTSS. Nothing else works well (in-game or NVCP). Occasional stutters during scene transitions but nothing too crazy

Not a fan of the motion blur, so I've disabled it. Guess I'm good to go!

Are you sure that you are running a 4k resolution? Did you start the game from a 4k desktop resolution?

Yes. I have a 4K TV. Runs 4K native

JaseC

Not great AA though. It's still pretty jaggy at 1080p.

True. On that note, though, FXAA and its ilk are generally good enough for my eyes. I can even put up with screen tearing to a degree. I credit my tolerance to the fact that the PS3 was my primary gaming platform for a few years. ;)

Daffy Duck

980Ti with 16Gb RAM, i5 4690k at ultra and it seemed to run amazingly at 1080p.

Looked glorious.

Pretty new to PC gaming, how do I get the FPS?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting 60fps 99% of the time on ultra at 1080p with a 970/3570k @ 4.3GHz but I'm getting regular stutters where it drops to 58fps for a split second, not sure what's causing it but it's annoying me.

Moss

Anyone tried this on a Mac?

I have a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro with a GT650M.

I also have a PC, but but it's hard to get to my PC to play games with the kids, so I think it's either PS4 or rMBP for me.

I played through the whole game on a a 2012 macbook pro and on a mix of medium and low settings it worked quite well. I definitely found it playable.

JaseC

I'm getting 60fps 99% of the time on ultra at 1080p with a 970/3570k @ 4.3GHz but I'm getting regular stutters where it drops to 58fps for a split second, not sure what's causing it but it's annoying me.

The running theory is that the game briefly hiccups whenever it auto-saves.

Top Bottom