• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The bigger problem is people who think a game is "unoptimized" if it can't maintain 60 fps while maxed out. Not all engines are the same, and some games push hardware more than others. Locking a game to 30 fps isn't the end of the world.

If I wanted to play at console frame rate I'd buy it for my PS4, that being said I have no issue tweaking settings down to maintain 60fps without dips. It becomes an issue when you can't maintain 60fps even with modest settings on high end hardware, then you know something is wrong with the game. I'll hold off judgement until it unlocks and I can play it for myself, though.

It should also be pointed out that this game was made by 10 people. TEN.

And even if you have to lock framerate to 30, is that really going to hamper one's enjoyment of a game like this? I really hope not. It's not some twitchy FPS or third person action game.

As a customer I don't care really, if 10 people weren't enough to get the job done then they should have hired more, but once again we don't even know if that's the case yet.

And locking any game to 30fps hurts my enjoyment of it, as would it for anyone who's used to PC gaming at solid frame rates as it feels foreign. Obviously less so than a shooter but still.

Peterthumpa

Guys, let's wait for the game to be actually released before such drama.
My Surface Pro 4 will never run it anyway. 😩

Piggus

If I wanted to play at console frame rate I'd buy it for my PS4, that being said I have no issue tweaking settings down to maintain 60fps without dips. It becomes an issue when you can't maintain 60fps even with modest settings on high end hardware, then you know something is wrong with the game. I'll hold off judgement until it unlocks and I can play it for myself, though.

As a customer I don't care really, if 10 people weren't enough to get the job done then they should have hired more, but once again we don't even know if that's the case yet.

And locking any game to 30fps hurts my enjoyment of it, as would it for anyone who's used to PC gaming at solid frame rates as it feels foreign. Obviously less so than a shooter but still.

How did you survive when new PC games truly pushed PC hardware? It's not reasonable to say they should have just hired more people. They obviously created the best product they could within the constraints of their budget. If that turns out to not be good enough for you, you don't have to buy the game. Also, with down sampling and whatnot, the PC version can still run at 30 fps and have a huge IQ advantage over the PS4 version. We also don't know what the ultra settings entail. That could mean a massive draw distance increase compared to the PS4 version, which is generally very demanding.

It would do my fellow PC gamers a lot of good to enjoy games based on their strengths (in this case atmosphere, writing, and acting) rather than something that, for a game like this, is quite trivial. But I guess we'll see if performance is actually an issue tomorrow. My guess is it won't be to any meaningful extent.

GHG

Oh please. If they hired more than 10 people and then put the price up accordingly then people would bitch and moan about the price instead. You say just hire more people like its just so simple... Hiring more people isn't always the answer anyway.

30fps isn't "console framerate" either. It's a framerate selectable on PC games as well for those who choose to.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh please. If they hired more than 10 people and then put the price up accordingly then people would bitch and moan about the price instead. You say just hire more people like its just so simple... Hiring more people isn't always the answer anyway.

I have no problem paying for quality content, give me a great game that costs a bit more over a cheaper "could have been great" game any day of the week. And I never said it was simple, I said as a customer I don't care about their process, only the product that ends up in my hands and if it's not up to snuff then I'll get a refund. But I'll reiterate as it seemed to be ignored before that right now we don't know anything for certain and I'm still looking forward to the game.

Finaika

30fps isn't "console framerate" either. It's a framerate selectable on PC games as well for those who choose to.

What's a console framerate?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I second this. I work in it everyday and don't really get what people in this thread are talking about. I looked up games made with Unity, and there are several that have been well received.
The games themselves are often great but if you look back at console releases using Unity (and many PC games as well) you'll find that the majority of them run inconsistently or poorly. It's less common for a Unity game to run well than it is for it to run poorly.

What's a PC framerate?
It should be whatever the user wants. You want 60fps? 144? 30? Fluctuating? It's all possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought Campo Santo were cool enough to understand the importance of a midnight release, but their excuse is extra lame.

Posts like this are exactly why they want to be in the office when it launches. Entitled gamers will be all over them with support issues for the tiniest thing. If they launched at midnight you'd have people complaining 'fix this shit - where are the devs?' All bloody night.

Xyber

Tomb Raider?

I don't understand why not, unless you're talking about 4K resolutions and super high end AA solutions.

I'm well over 60 fps for most of the 5 hours or so I've played and I'm running a 2500k and a 970, but at 1920x1080. Everything is maxed out except AA, which is set to just FXAA.

XCOM2 is a similar story, but it drops into the 40s during the loadout screen before a mission.

My 970@1545MHz and i7 4770K@4.4GHz can't maintain 60fps in soviet installation with a bunch of settings turned down. So I don't really trust your claim for a second. And that is far from the only place where it drops below 60.

Wabba

I bought this game for a stock Macbook Pro 13 2015 version, looks like i am never going to be able to play this if there is so much problem with the PC version.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My 970@1545MHz and i7 4770K@4.4GHz can't maintain 60fps in soviet installation with a bunch of settings turned down. So I don't really trust your claim for a second. And that is far from the only place where it drops below 60.

Some people have magical hardware that performs better than everyone else's, offering them increased performance and stability.

holygeesus

Banned

You can't max the game out and run a constant 60fps with a 980ti so his claims are false.

leng jai

Exactly. It's baffling how many people with 970s seem to think they can get constant 60fps in ROTR with everything aside from AA at max. If I did that on my 970 the game would be running at 45fps half the time.

ROTR is a decent port but I'd hardly call it "amazing". There's obviously something up with it when changing half the settings doesn't seem to make much difference to performance.

dark10x

Tomb Raider?

I don't understand why not, unless you're talking about 4K resolutions and super high end AA solutions.

I'm well over 60 fps for most of the 5 hours or so I've played and I'm running a 2500k and a 970, but at 1920x1080. Everything is maxed out except AA, which is set to just FXAA.

XCOM2 is a similar story, but it drops into the 40s during the loadout screen before a mission.
As someone who wrote a lengthy article on the PC version of RotTR and tested it on various hardware configurations, I can safely say that your claims are incorrect.

You may be perceiving a smooth frame-rate but that doesn't means it is a constant 60fps. The 2500k is a bottleneck and, even with a faster CPU, the 970 just can't maintain 60 throughout the game with settings maxed. It is NOT possible.

ROTR is a decent port but I'd hardly call it "amazing". There's obviously something up with it when changing half the settings doesn't seem to make much difference to performance.
Well, a number of those settings simply disable visual effects that some PC gamers may not like - they have next to no impact on performance.

I think it's a good port overall but the game itself is simply inherently demanding.

Nillansan

I bought this game for a stock Macbook Pro 13 2015 version, looks like i am never going to be able to play this if there is so much problem with the PC version.

We don't know enough about the PC version yet, just have some patience and wait for the game to actually unlock.

Tomb Raider ran great on my machine.. I think I saw one dip below 60 in the geothermal valley, but it only lasted for a second. Most of the time it was 90-100 fps.

I had everything cranked up except for AA. I used SMAA instead of 4x SSAA. (If I'm going to use SSAA, I may as well run at 4k)

i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
2x Titan X in SLI

running at 2560x1440

AEREC

Tomb Raider ran great on my machine.. I think I saw one dip below 60 in the geothermal valley, but it only lasted for a second. Most of the time it was 90-100 fps.

I had everything cranked up except for AA. I used SMAA instead of 4x SSAA. (If I'm going to use SSAA, I may as well run at 4k)

i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
2x Titan X in SLI

running at 2560x1440

Im pretty sure anything runs great on your machine. I think Tomb Raider was optimized fine (not as well as something Like Max Payne 3 or GTAV)...but I do feel my single 970 should have ran it better than it did (30-60fps\1080p) at everything maxed (except textures).

Im pretty sure anything runs great on your machine. I think Tomb Raider was optimized fine (not as well as something Like Max Payne 3 or GTAV)...but I do feel my single 970 should have ran it better than it did (30-60fps\1080p) at everything maxed (except textures).

GTA V is a truly excellent port and it ran very well. That said, I definitely feel like Tomb Raider is a better looking and more demanding game than GTA V.

Also, XCOM 2 runs like shit on my machine.. so no, not everything runs well :p

AEREC

GTA V is a truly excellent port and it ran very well. That said, I definitely feel like Tomb Raider is a better looking and more demanding game than GTA V.

Also, XCOM 2 runs like shit on my machine.. so no, not everything runs well :p

hmm I dont see it...open world vs. seperated small hub-world levels. Plus at any given time there is ALOT more physics and AI calculations going on in GTAV compared to Tomb Radier, not to mention animations either.

Tomb Raider has better textures though...but that's to be expected.

dark10x

hmm I dont see it...open world vs. seperated small hub-world levels. Plus at any given time there is ALOT more physics and AI calculations going on in GTAV compared to Tomb Radier, not to mention animations either.

Tomb Raider has better textures though...but that's to be expected.
The physics and AI calculations are all CPU related tasks - Tomb Raider is pushing way more advanced graphics effects that demand more from the GPU. That's not to say it's light on the CPU either, but still.

Weetrick

No chance at all, may as well just throw it in the bin and buy a PS4.

Is this actually a serious question?

This always happens in these threads, like clockwork:

OP: Posts article where author experiences frame drops

GAF Person: "Any hope for my Titan X SLI setup? I guess I have to buy the PS4 version."

Durante

Performance simply is a more complex topic than most users give it credit for.

(Just as an example, if you increase a setting which primarily causes a higher TMU load while you are compute limited, then yeah it won't make much of a difference. The same setting might have a different impact on different hardware or even on the same hardware with other settings changed)

GAF Person: "Any hope for my Titan X SLI setup? I guess I have to buy the PS4 version."
It's true. And exceedingly annoying.

I hope all the 4K monitors people are rushing out to buy have good upscaling. All these 'unoptimised' games we're seeing ain't gonna be doing 4 x 1080p any time soon.

holygeesus

Banned
I wouldn't worry about 4K anyway, as, unless I'm going nuts, you can't change resolution in the options. The option is there but you can't scroll through them. At least not with a controller. Not the best of starts!

Edit - Yep, even if you use a mouse, resolution changing doesn't work. Great.

roytheone

OH NO, I can't get a stable 60 fps in this game! I guess I better buy the PS4 version that is 30 fps!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo, if I set control method to gamepad or dual shock I just constantly spin around, if I set it to keyboard I can move but not look with the controller. Using DS4Windows with a PS4 controller.

Corpekata

Banned
I wouldn't worry about 4K anyway, as, unless I'm going nuts, you can't change resolution in the options. The option is there but you can't scroll through them. At least not with a controller. Not the best of starts!

It's a Unity game, it defaults to your native res generally because they are all Borderless Windowed games. Can't downsample anyway IIRC without Durante's tool.

ghibli99

Never thought I'd be worried of running this game 60/1080 on my 980Ti. Didn't really expect this would be the kind of game to push a top end GPU.
At 1080? I'd be shocked if it's any problem at all. I have a 4790K + 980 ti FTW at home, but won't be able to try it until tonight. I do have a 960 here at the office though, although my monitor is only 1050.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else having this issue with the controller?

Edit: Tick hide controller in DS4Windows and it works, let's get started!

R3TRODYCE

Runs great so far.

My stupid 360 controller keeps disconnecting though. Meh I guess it's time to get the Xbone adapter.

Deepo

Huh

XB1 controller is constantly pushing left on sliders even though it works fine in every other game

I've encountered that in lots of Unity games under WIndows 10.

Explicitly setting it to Gamepad in the options menu seemed to fix it for me.

Can't seem to get DSR to work though.

Top Bottom