• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The running theory is that the game briefly hiccups whenever it auto-saves.

Could well be, it's very often so it's bugging me. I'm using an SSD as well.

viveks86

Wow, that is much better than what I am getting. In 5120*2160 resolution and the highest settings (ultra), the FPS count is in the range 27-40. It is usually above 30 fps at least. The SLI scaling must be fantastic in this game.

specs: 3570k@4.6, Titan X, 16 gb RAM, win 7, installed on ssd

Yeah getting > 90% scaling!

d00d3n

Yes. I have a 4K TV. Runs 4K native

Ahh, yeah, then it would be 4k I guess. I wonder what is capping my FPS. I have no SLI, but almost double the performance seems intense. What CPU do you use? It is possible that my overclocked 3570k isn't cutting it anymore, I guess.

viveks86

The answer is always, Gsync my friend viveks.

If only they had Gsync 4KTVs... :p

Anyway RTSS seems to do the job here

Ahh, yeah, then it would be 4k I guess. I wonder what is capping my FPS. I have no SLI, but almost double the performance seems intense. What CPU do you use? It is possible that my overclocked 3570k isn't cutting it anymore, I guess.

I have a 5930K. But I doubt it's the CPU. Given that your horizontal resolution is much wider, your numbers sound about right. I also have a 200/400 OC on the cards.

cube001

Deus Ex SLI bits (0x00C00005) work!

Getting 80-90 fps on 4K Ultra (Titan X SLI) now!

In-game Vsync is utter garbage though. Gotta figure out what to do about that

The game uses DX11 and that's a DX9 profile, I get no scaling what so ever (0% on my second 980Ti). I went on and used the same profile as DX11 SLI bits and I got 70% usage on both of my GPUs but the framerate was cut down to half basically, so I'm not sure what's really going on.

viveks86

The game uses DX11 and that's a DX9 profile, I get no scaling what so ever (0% on my second 980Ti). I went on and used the same profile as DX11 SLI bits and I got 70% usage on both of my GPUs but the framerate was cut down to half basically, so I'm not sure what's really going on.

Ha... Yeah I meant just the SLI bits, not the profile. Not sure what the deal is with your framerate. Have you disabled in-game vsync? It tanks performance.

I kind of wonder why they don't, at this point. I've had some exposure to both, and while superficially one could make the argument that Unity provides an "easier" environment, across the board, that feels like it starts to break down when the game takes on any major complexities (Unity is designed as a pragmatic solution to "all kinds" of games, so it lacks, I think, out of the box, solutions that make sense specifically for FP games). Stuff built with Blueprint, afaik, generates C++ code, so you don't have to worry about the abstraction, and that's not to speak of Unity's GC popping in at inopportune times.

I don't know. I'm no expert, but I feel like UE4 should probably become the standard. Plus, don't teams that are legitimately practiced, like these guys, put themselves at a disadvantage when they can presumably do the stuff that Unity tries to abstract away from them?

For one thing, Epic charges 5% royalty which Unity doesn't.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah I'm getting brief stutter too - seems more related to when a new area is loaded into memory, as I'm playing from a decent SSD and have 16GB of RAM.

Game is good fun.

Zemm

my xbone controller keeps going to the left, tried changing to gamepad on the controller setting but it still does it. What is going on?

Ha... Yeah I meant just the SLI bits, not the profile. Not sure what the deal is with your framerate. Have you disabled in-game vsync? It tanks performance.

Any chance you could export your Firewatch profile from NVidia inspector?

I'd like to try this when I get home!

Jake

Unfortunately, the shadow draw distance is terrible. I assumed it would have been kicked up a few notches for the PC version.

If I move forward, the higher-quality shadow map continues cascading to the left, and, likewise, if I step back a bit, the entire thing is a block-like mess.

This is a unity-side thing, but we're looking into it to see if there's anything we can do.

my xbone controller keeps going to the left, tried changing to gamepad on the controller setting but it still does it. What is going on?

Are you on Windows 10? It seems there are two versions of the xbone controller driver for Win 10. I'm pretty sure the newer driver doesn't exhibit this behavior... That's our finding in the office, at least. Any other info you can provide to help us out would be appreciated.

viveks86

Yeah, it's just not working for me.

Any chance you could export your Firewatch profile from NVidia inspector?

I'd like to try this when I get home!

Was doing just that now :)

nvi1b4j5e.jpg

nvi2psk6s.jpg

Megabat

On an i5-6600K + Nvidia 960, I'm getting a solid 60FPS with SSAO, "world detail", and shadows down one notch at 1080p. At 1440p, a locked 30FPS on Ultra.

I don't see any problems with that, and the game looks incredible on even the lowest setting. If you actually end up playing the game, you'll see that money/time was spent quite wisely (VO work, animation).

Also: most of us are on pretty recent multi-core CPU's and discrete cards. We don't get to complain about "optimization". It will be far more interesting and helpful to see how this runs on integrated/low-end/older GPU's.

Megabat

I kind of wonder why they don't, at this point. I've had some exposure to both, and while superficially one could make the argument that Unity provides an "easier" environment, across the board, that feels like it starts to break down when the game takes on any major complexities (Unity is designed as a pragmatic solution to "all kinds" of games, so it lacks, I think, out of the box, solutions that make sense specifically for FP games). Stuff built with Blueprint, afaik, generates C++ code, so you don't have to worry about the abstraction, and that's not to speak of Unity's GC popping in at inopportune times.

I don't know. I'm no expert, but I feel like UE4 should probably become the standard. Plus, don't teams that are legitimately practiced, like these guys, put themselves at a disadvantage when they can presumably do the stuff that Unity tries to abstract away from them?

UE4 doesn't scale down as well as Unity, and custom engines take awhile. Gone Home stuttered on Nvidia 680s, but was playable on 2010 MacBooks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is a unity-side thing, but we're looking into it to see if there's anything we can do.

Ah, nice. Cheers.

Are you on Windows 10? It seems there are two versions of the xbone controller driver for Win 10. I'm pretty sure the newer driver doesn't exhibit this behavior... That's our finding in the office, at least. Any other info you can provide to help us out would be appreciated.

I have the same issue. I'm not my PC any more (it's ~4am, after all ;)), but later on I'll ensure the driver is up-to-date and report back.

Xyber

I guess I could use a patch that fixes my map.

0dwxXg0.jpg

Edit: fixed itself after looking at a map in a box. Next problem!

I read a note, pressed B quickly because I thought it would close it. It didn't and now I'm stuck with this on my screen because pressing Y does nothing anymore.

KBZfqgu.jpg

Edit: Now I fixed that too. I pressed start, was then able to scroll in that note (saw the bar at the side but the text didn't move). When I had scrolled to the top I could close the note by pressing Y.

Doctor_No

How is 21:9 support?

I'm playing on 3440x1440, however I have to drop it to high, on Ultra the frame rate takes too much of a hit (I'm on a 6600k oc'd to 4.5ghz, 32GB DDR4 xmp 2667 mhz and R9 390). It runs fairly smoothly on Ulta at 2560 x 1080.

Overall, I'd say the 21:9 support is excellent, everything so far stays in 21:9 unlike other recent games (e.g. XCom 2); where cuts cenes and certain menus drop back to 16:9.

brau

I read a note, pressed B quickly because I thought it would close it. It didn't and now I'm stuck with this on my screen because pressing Y does nothing anymore.

Edit: Now I fixed that too. I pressed start, was then able to scroll in that note (saw the bar at the side but the text didn't move). When I had scrolled to the top I could close the note by pressing Y.

i thought this was a puzzle easter egg.

Tubie

Getting pretty solid 1080/60 with my 970 on ultra, but I get some random drops to like 58 or something like that every now and then.

I'm still early into the game, so I guess this can all change.

edit: oh and my DS4 is not working properly with this game, not sure what's going on with that.

bes.gen

my xbone controller does the same thing if i set the control method to gamepad in settings.

strangely enough gamepad works flawless if i set the controls to keyboard from the menu.
(then i get keyboard/mouse icons-prompts in game)

win10 - controller used with wireless adapter - driver version 21.50.58.120

hmm doesn't the game have native ds4 support?
The input menu on Unity is a nightmare. It is really disjointed from the rest of the engine and I think different operating systems assign buttons differently so that complicates things further. For something so integral to games it shocked me how rough it was.

Is there any way to downsample? I tried changing my desktop res, but it still defaults back to 1080p.

And it's DX11 so GDST doesn't work.

Zemm

Windows 7, I updated my PC with the latest xbone controller driver this morning too.

Frostburn

Game running @ 1080p on High settings and Vsync off - 2500k @ 4.4Ghz / 16GB DDR3 / GTX 970 / BenQ XL2420G in Gsync mode.

Game seems to run fairly well and Gsync is smoothing out any hiccups.

FOR THOSE WITH XBOX CONTROLLER ISSUES ON PC

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383870...6292776560723/

You can do a few things I did and fix it completely. First if you are using Windows 10 or have an Xbox One make sure the controller is on the latest firmware. On Windows 10 download the Xbox Accessories App from the Windows Store to do the update.

Next in the game using a keyboard go into the settings and hit E or Q to get to the Controls section and select Gamepad.

If you don't select Gamepad even after doing everything above you might still get the issues I had with my Xbox One controller.

Frostburn

Make sure you tell folks to select Gamepad in the Settings > Controller page. Mine defaults to Keyboard even though I'm using my Xbox One controller and I had the same issue with LEFT being held down in any selection screen until I changed my controls to "Gamepad" then it went away.

Jake

0dwxXg0.jpg

KBZfqgu.jpg

I'm not sure about the black map (its being looked at still), but the b-for-back on the notes screen getting into that weird dual-menu state is fixed, and going up in a patch we're pushing in the next hour or two.

Miker

Anybody else having some color banding issues? The garage in the first section was kind of messy looking, but I'm not sure if that's a problem on my end, or a result of the game's cel-shaded-ish textures.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My 970@1545MHz and i7 4770K@4.4GHz can't maintain 60fps in soviet installation with a bunch of settings turned down. So I don't really trust your claim for a second. And that is far from the only place where it drops below 60.

To you and others: I wrote "most" for a reason.

I'm not saying it is over 60 fps 100% of the time. It frequently dips into the 50s or even high 40s (never seen it go into the 30s outside of the chug when the game first boots up). But it also just as frequently goes up into the 70s or 80s.

Luckily, I'm running with a G-Sync monitor, so the perceived experience is very smooth.

I have had FRAPS running the majority of the time I've played it, so I'm not just pulling numbers out of my ass here.

Xyber

I'm not sure about the black map (its being looked at still), but the b-for-back on the notes screen getting into that weird dual-menu state is fixed, and going up in a patch we're pushing in the next hour or two.

I still get the black map when I zoom in on it now. Zoomed out it seems to be doing its job.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any comments on which settings have the biggest impact on visuals or performance? I'm likely to need to turn my details down to high (3440x1400, GTX970) but it'd be good to know if there were some settings I could put at ultra and maybe some down to medium

Top Bottom