• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch PC performance thread

Nabs

FOV is 55. What the fuck is this garbage?

I tried editing the registry values and anything above 55 has clipping issues. How the hell do you miss such a big thing on the PC. It hurts my head just looking at this FOV.

First impressions are shit, technical-wise.

Isn't it vertical FOV, meaning it's around the 85 we are all familiar with?

Smash88

Banned
No AA in Firewatch (if there is it might as well be non-existent). Colour me surprised.

Am I going to be surprised by any more technical bullshit with this game?

mLu3wHL.jpg

It sure as hell doesn't feel 85 to me. It just feels very off and is annoying my eyes. I usually play at 100 FOV @ 1440p.

The devs mentioned it on steam forums if you want 90 you have to put in 3500 in the registry. Which completely breaks it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383870/discussions/1/412446292776350214/

epmode

It feels lower than 85 to me. I tend to use 90 hor so it was a bit uncomfortable until I got used to it.

I'd like an FOV slider but it sounds like a wider angle breaks the game.

viveks86

It sure as hell doesn't feel 85 to me. It just feels very off and is annoying my eyes. I usually play at 100 FOV @ 1440p.

The devs mentioned it on steam forums if you want 90 you have to put in 3500 in the registry. Which completely breaks it.

55 is vertical FoV. Making that 90 (+3500) will break most games. That's wayyyy to high. Try something in 60-70 range (500-1500 in registry) and see if it improves for you. Haven't tried it, but it seems like a lot of people have assumed it's horizontal fov.

Smash88

Banned
55 is vertical FoV. Making that 90 will break most games. That's wayyyy to high. Try something in 60-70 range (500-1500 in registry) and see if it improves for you.

Tried 500 - 2500 and everything in between. The clipping is just terrible. It honestly doesn't feel like 85 (or whatever is the equivalent horizontal FoV) FoV, I'll tell you that much.

viveks86

Tried 500 - 2500 and everything in between. The clipping is just terrible. It honestly doesn't feel like 85 (or whatever is the equivalent horizontal FoV) FoV, I'll tell you that much.

Hmmm... Tough luck. I read they plan to incorporate a slider down the line, which I guess will happen only after they fix the animations to accommodate it. Stuff like that should be on every dev's checklist these days, especially fps games! :/

Smash88

Banned
Hmmm... Tough luck. I read they plan to incorporate a slider down the line, which I guess will happen only after they fix the animations to accommodate it.

It's going to be a minefield of spoilers on any site I go to waiting for them to fix FoV.

Do you, or anyone know how to force AA through the Nvidia control panel? There are 4 AA options and I'm not sure what to use?

viveks86

It's going to be a minefield of spoilers on any site I go to waiting for them to fix FoV.

Do you, or anyone know how to force AA through the Nvidia control panel? There are 4 AA options and I'm not sure what to use?

FXAA is probably the only option that will work. But that isn't going to fix your issue with shadows.

Having said that, the issue isn't that pronounced later in the game.

I wonder if someone will find a config file to tweak it...

BraXzy

Getting some dips and stutters, might have to drop to medium settings D:

Edit: I did a few tweaks that seemed to make the game a lot smoother. It might be temporary but it instantly felt better.

In-game V-Sync off.

In Nvidia Control Panel:

Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum performance
Shader Cache: Off
Triple Buffering: On
Vertical Sync: Adaptive
Virtual pre-rendered frames: 2

YMMV

Gbraga

I think I'll just lock it to 30fps, it never seems to go below that, so might as well eliminate the constant drops.

McBryBry

I was playing a few hours ago on my 4690k and MSI 970, everything was perfect at 1080p. I don't have an actual FPS number since I didn't check but I didn't notice anything but 60.

GRaider81

Game runs great with ultra settings on 4690k, 980ti. Get a slight drop when it hits save points but I'm very happy with it.

Game is fantastic too.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Runs great on ultra with my 980. I'm typically prone to motion sickness but the crosshair saves the day for me, despite any tight fov.

So I just booted the game but I can't get it to display in anything other than 720. It just won't save that setting.

Any ideas? I'm not playing in 720 lol.

Edit: Restarted Steam and it's fine now.

I'm having the same problem. Restarting Steam didn't help... Anyone have any ideas?

All high 1080p 60fps.

16GB DDR4

One thing that happened that could be my TV as I am not on a monitor, I am about an hour in,
midway through day 2
and everything is blurry all of a sudden, I am guessing this isnt part of the game?

Chris_C

Hm, I can't seem to play the game at all. it just crashes at the main menu after a few seconds.

CPU - Core i5 4570
GPU - Zotac GTX 970
16GB Ram
256GB Samsung SSD.

def sim

I haven't had a chance to benchmark it since the game pulled me in hard. I'm two achievements in out of five (non-spoiler progress mark) and the game has been running reasonably well at all ultra. Definitely some stutter here and there, but hey, Unity right? At least I don't think anyone with a 970 or better should be worrying about performance at 1080p/60Hz.

I'll try downsampling tomorrow.

RedSwirl

My 760 is stuck in the 50's and 40's in 1080p. Turning down things like world detail and shadow detail only seems to give me another two or three fps.

jtar86

For anyone wondering how it runs on an i3 Alpha (I know I seen at least one guy earlier). It runs at a solid 30 with a mix of medium to high settings at 1080p. I turned of motion blur and bloom because I don't like either of those things. Also holds 30 fps at 2560x1080 same settings.

i5-4690K
R9 290X 4GB
16GB RAM

Ultra Settings and for the most part it runs at 60 FPS with just a couple of issues I've noticed

1. Slight hiccup like others have said when it's loading in a new area (not Autosave) which seems to be a problem with Unity itself

2. I did notice more slowdown at the end of Day 1 when the screen gets the black bars after she tries calling out for help...no idea why that would stress the game more but it did

Briarios

I ended up getting for my PC because I wanted to play it & I wanted to let you guys know how it runs on an older set up. Here's what I'm running:

i3-3240 @ 3.4
GeForce GTX 750 Ti
6 GB
Windows 10

I gotta say -- I'm pretty happy with how the game runs. On Ultra, I'm getting probably an average of 38fps with Vsync on at 1080p.

It fluctuates, but it doesn't seem to impact the experience. It certain areas it's in the high 40s -- I have seen it go to sub 30 for a moment when it seems like there is a large variety of flora on the screen. Like, different plant types - if it's all the same, it doesn't hit the FPS.

Haven't had any issues, but I'm early into the game. So, if you have a similar set-up, I can recommend it. The game looks great and runs well ... probably better than my PS4.

Chris_C

Deleted, re-downloaded and re-installed and it still crashes every time right at the menu.

I really don't want to have to refund the game. I'll wait for a couple of patches before diving in, I guess.

tuxfool

Banned
gpu utilization isn't very great huh, 50% at 60fps on a 970 looking out of the tower

wat?

If you're playing at 1080p that seems about normal.

i5-4690K
R9 290X 4GB
16GB RAM

Ultra Settings and for the most part it runs at 60 FPS with just a couple of issues I've noticed

I've never seen it drop from 60 (for any period not measurable by something like fraps) at 1440 on ultra settings. I'm using a 290.

AEREC

Seems like since the last steam update my game plays in letterbox mode when it didn't before.

Any way to get rid of this?

RedSwirl

Main issue seems to be the shadows. I have them on low but everything else cranked up. I'm getting 60fps most of the time.

Do you have to use a mouse at the beginning during the choose-your-own-story bit? It wasn't allowing me to use a controller. I'm a couch gamer and it was a bit of a chore to have to pull out the keyboard/mouse to get through the intro.

cRIPticon

Based on the graphics of the game.
Do you honestly think it's reasonable for a Radeon 290 to struggle with the graphics of Firewatch on Ultra?
I sure don't.

it'd be nice if people would acknowledge how a game looks to the eye and whether or not the performance it gets on certain hardware is reasonable or not.

So, you can tell the geometry/collision/physics, etc. impact on performance just by looking at the art style? Really? Wow. That's amazing!

No. Unoptimised posts like this are the worst.

Unless you actually know and understand what is going on under the hood of a game you cannot sit back in your armchair and say "well this looks unoptimised" or "it doesn't look like anything special, I should be able to max this out".

GHG. STOP MAKING SO MUCH DAMN SENSE!

epmode

Do you have to use a mouse at the beginning during the choose-your-own-story bit? It wasn't allowing me to use a controller. I'm a couch gamer and it was a bit of a chore to have to pull out the keyboard/mouse to get through the intro.

Not sure what was happening with you but I was able to get through that whole section with an XB1 Elite controller. I'm using whichever driver is automatically installed with Windows 10.

Running at 720p/High on a Lenovo Y50 with a 860m.
Framerate has drops from 60fps to 28-30 or so at random times. I just finished the game and couldn't deal with it after an hour. Really annoying. :/

Anybody have a fix for the controller issue on the PC version? I have a Xbox One controller hooked up and the game just goes nuts when I hook up my controller. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the controller and that didnt work.

I went back and switched to controller in the game settings and it worked all of a sudden, did it before and nothing happened.

Anybody have a fix for the controller issue on the PC version? I have a Xbox One controller hooked up and the game just goes nuts when I hook up my controller. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the controller and that didnt work.
What fixed it for me was setting the game pad as the controller in in-game settings

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
i5 and a 970, game runs great on Ultra, 60fps with some random dips.

Only about an hour and a half in though.

That was my experience before requesting a refund. 60fps with very regular stutters/dips where the game would jolt. I may pick it up again next year at 75% off, but I just wasn't feeling it at all and I was about to hit the 2 hour cut off and had to make a decision and I chose not to keep it.

Top Bottom