• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Steam refund my friend

I have a high spec pc, and I know better than to think I can just brute force every game that comes out, that's fairly unrealistic

Sounds like these issues are all over the place regardless of settings or set-ups. No one is trying to brute force anything it seems.

I sometimes get 10-20fps on the map screen now (with the avenger moving around the globe). Earlier in my save it stuck to 60fps. This shit is not acceptable.

Lister

Banned
Isn't this essentially the BAtman Arkham Knight engine? The issues certainly seem reminiscent too. I wonder if the devs are running into the same problems. I'm hoping they find fixes, unlike whoever ported the Batman game.

see5harp

It's a highly customized Unreal Engine 3. I think the same could be used to categorize the Batman AK engine, but there's no evidence to suggest that the same issues are plaguing either game unless someone who knows what they are talking about can speak up. Most Batman games on PC worked great, they just didn't have enough time or resources with AK. XCOM was an exclusive game that should have had ample time and budget to get it working right. I don't wanna be to critical though, the game is great and I certainly think it's more than a "slight improvement" over Enemy Unknown.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, are there any tips/tricks that should be in the OP? I haven't been keeping a particularly close eye on the thread and although I do say in the OP to mention my username when making a suggestion, I'd wager most people haven't read that part. ;)

Edit: And I just realised I didn't include the Mac and Linux sysreqs. I'll fix that later on, too.

bee

So, are there any tips/tricks that should be in the OP? I haven't been keeping a particularly close eye on the thread and although I do say in the OP to mention my username when making a suggestion, I'd wager most people haven't read that part. ;)

Edit: And I just realised I didn't include the Mac and Linux sysreqs. I'll fix that later on, too.

hbao+ support from here maybe - http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5228953&postcount=2104

i enabled it, need to check if its working properly as my fps went up to 45-50 at 4k, or is the in game ssao that bad?

UnrealEck

If you want a performance boost without having to sacrifice a large amount of quality, try setting depth of field to standard (turn off bokeh) and turn off screen space reflections.

If you want a performance boost without having to sacrifice a large amount of quality, try setting depth of field to standard (turn off bokeh) and turn off screen space reflections.
I mean a lot of people are reporting problems with the game on Minimum settings, so this probably isn't going to cut it.

It's a highly customized Unreal Engine 3. I think the same could be used to categorize the Batman AK engine, but there's no evidence to suggest that the same issues are plaguing either game unless someone who knows what they are talking about can speak up. Most Batman games on PC worked great, they just didn't have enough time or resources with AK. XCOM was an exclusive game that should have had ample time and budget to get it working right. I don't wanna be to critical though, the game is great and I certainly think it's more than a "slight improvement" over Enemy Unknown.
That raises an interesting point

Did anyone try pressing capslock while playing Arkham Knight and see if it resolved any of the game's crazy buggy performance issues? Might be worth a try...

Firebrand

Still getting "out of memory" errors in Windows after a while, but it takes longer since I dropped the texture option to high (2GB card). Since the process is at 2GB memory used I'm guessing there's something going on with the texture caching. When I get this error happens the Windows window manager also seems to crap out and some windows won't display, logging out and back in fixes it.

Anyone measured how much VRAM is used at the different options?

Still getting "out of memory" errors in Windows after a while, but it takes longer since I dropped the texture option to high (2GB card). Since the process is at 2GB memory used I'm guessing there's something going on with the texture caching. When I get this error happens the Windows window manager also seems to crap out and some windows won't display, logging out and back in fixes it.

Anyone measured how much VRAM is used at the different options?
Apart from AA (which is off) I am max on all the settings and Vram sometimes hits 3.5GB maybe more. I use a 4GB 980 so I have no problem but it is surprisingly high. Also my system RAM can hit 6GB+, sometimes 7GB.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm still dumbfounded at the capslock thing...

unless you're are all joking and this is one big troll thing

I thought people were falling for placebo too but it's no BS. I hit caps lock, everything froze for a split second, then it said "press key to continue." It's some real shoddy stuff.

After playing for a little bit, I get 40 fps on a GTX970 on the world map screen. GPU utilization is 26%, 3708MB VRAM, 42% CPU, and 5.5GB RAM (keeps increasing). :/

During a mission with explosions going off, it can drop to the teens and twenties, with the GPU and CPU only 25-50% utilized.

I just realized recently that running this game at 30fps doesn't bother me in the slightest. Decided to lock it and run 4k. Looks great!

Now if only the crashing would stop on my wife's computer so she could enjoy the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just realized recently that running this game at 30fps doesn't bother me in the slightest. Decided to lock it and run 4k. Looks great!

Now if only the crashing would stop on my wife's computer so she could enjoy the game.

I set it up at 30fps on my SO's PC since she's running on my old GTX 570 and I was surprised at how smooth it was. I might do the same as you - downsample, max settings, 30fps locked with Rivatuner. Nothing is so fast as to make the 30fps look too awful.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Any word from Firaxis on patches yet? Kind of long radio silence.

After playing for a little bit, I get 40 fps on a GTX970 on the world map screen. GPU utilization is 26%, 3708MB VRAM, 42% CPU, and 5.5GB RAM (keeps increasing). :/

During a mission with explosions going off, it can drop to the teens and twenties, with the GPU and CPU only 25-50% utilized.

Same here. Hardware utilization in this game is terrible.

Aaron D.

Any word from Firaxis on patches yet? Kind of long radio silence.

I'm also curious about Nividia game-specific driver support. They're usually out before big titles even launch.

Talk about a perfect storm. Shoddy optimization from the dev and zero support from Nvidia. :/

manfestival

is that with the game maxed out? I had turned a few minor things down and I practically run the game at 60fps and it doesnt feel like I lost any real quality to the image

I dunno how much this will help others, but with a 970 lowering the decal options improved my framerate in the base/antfarm view dramatically. That and disabling AA made the biggest improvements to my framerate overall, and now the only real drops are from the "grenade aiming" bug (which kills FPS).

There's still a lot of sub-50 dips, during explosions and on the base/antfarm mostly, but the experience went from aggravating to merely annoying.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I don't know if you saw this one but

Pressing caps lock at the "return to base" screen after completing a mission DRAMATICALLY shortens the load time. It jumps from "potentially several minutes" to "near instantaneous" on an SSD.

manfestival

No, that's with settings turned down. FXAA, lower draw distance, medium shadows and more.

Yeah that is odd to me but maybe there is a little cpu action going on there? I turned a few factors like those down and I run the game at a rock solid 60fps.... well there are little dips here and there

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I dunno how much this will help others, but with a 970 lowering the decal options improved my framerate in the base/antfarm view dramatically. That and disabling AA made the biggest improvements to my framerate overall, and now the only real drops are from the "grenade aiming" bug (which kills FPS).

There's still a lot of sub-50 dips, during explosions and on the base/antfarm mostly, but the experience went from aggravating to merely annoying.
I don't know if you saw this one but

Pressing caps lock at the "return to base" screen after completing a mission DRAMATICALLY shortens the load time. It jumps from "potentially several minutes" to "near instantaneous" on an SSD.

Ta, added.

Parsnip

I still haven't experienced any dramatic drops like some of you have in geoscape/map screen or in missions and I'm not seeing any gpu under utilization.
I wonder if it could be an OS specific thing.

Antfarm is surprisingly VRAM heavy, I guess they load everything up in high detail even when the view is zoomed out.

Antfarm is surprisingly VRAM heavy, I guess they load everything up in high detail even when the view is zoomed out.

I've did some testing and had over 6 gb usage when I used msaa x8.

If I just start a game and use FXAA it uses 4.5 gb in base mode. When I come back from a mission it is even higher. Seems weird.

People with 970s probably are having real problems with this. What are people's fps like in base mode?

Parsnip

I've did some testing and had over 6 gb usage when I used msaa x8.

If I just start a game and use FXAA it uses 4.5 gb in base mode. When I come back from a mission it is even higher. Seems weird.

People with 970s probably are having real problems with this. What are people's fps like in base mode?

GTX 970 here, running 1080p with 361.82 drivers from nvidia. They are the same as the previous 361.75 Tomb Raider drivers but with a hotfix that removes the "safely remove your device" thing.
These settings will run antfarm at nearly rock solid 60 for me. There are minor dips sometimes when you zoom in and out of sections. But nothing that could be associated with the gimped VRAM of 970.

xcom2_2016_02_12_19_43_28_230_by_majorparsnip-d9rgjhx.jpg
It's mostly maximum preset with lowered AA and one tick down on shadows (all shadows vs static only), plus the two options without checkmarks obviously.
All shadows will drop me to around 51fps, screen space reflections will drop me to around 57fps. And any AA other than FXAA will destroy everything of course.

During mission this has been pretty much rock solid as well with good gpu usage and stuff.

GTX 970 here.
These settings will run antfarm at nearly rock solid 60 for me. There are minor dips sometimes when you zoom in and out of sections. But nothing that could be associated with the gimped VRAM of 970.

It's mostly maximum preset with lowered AA and one tick down on shadows (all shadows vs static only), plus the two options without checkmarks obviously.
All shadows will drop me to around 51fps, screen space reflections will drop me to around 57fps. And any AA other than FXAA will destroy everything of course.

During mission this has been pretty much rock solid as well with good gpu usage and stuff.

What drivers are you on?

Didn't do jack shit for me. Actually, lowering a number of settings from high to low/disabling all extra settings resulted in barely any improvement in framerate on the avenger.

And how about you? Driver version? Maybe there is something else going on here, since "rock solid" 60fps on my 970 is a distant dream, other than early missions with nothing much going on.

I'm on 361.75

Didn't do jack shit for me. Actually, lowering a number of settings from high to low/disabling all extra settings resulted in barely any improvement in framerate on the avenger.

egocrata

Banned
i5 Devil´s Canyon at 4 Ghz, 970GTX, 16 GB of RAM, SSD. Windows 10.

I play with everything maxed out, with FXAA being the only exception. The game runs really well. Some minor stutters at the start of a mission as it loads, but other than that, solid 60 fps, 1080p.

I guess I got lucky. Oddly enough, Arkham Knight was also smooth from the get go. Freakish.

Parsnip

What drivers are you on?

And how about you? Driver version? Maybe there is something else going on here, since "rock solid" 60fps on my 970 is a distant dream, other than early missions with nothing much going on.

I'm on 361.75

Running 1080p with 361.82 Nvidia drivers.
AFAIK they are the same as the 361.75 Tomb Raider drivers but with a hotfix that removes the "safely remove your device" systray thing.
Also, Windows 10 (whatever the November public build was), that could also make a difference.

My 970 is on 358.75. As mentioned, lowering some stuff has given me a stable FPS in the base/antfarm and 60 during gameplay, barring certain explosions and the grenade aiming glitch; I don't want to call combat a solid 60, but it's close enough.

...I really need to dust my computer.
What lowering decals stopped for me was gigantic drops. Looking at the Avenger now it's anywhere between 30-60, but it's no longer dropping to 20 all the time. That change specifically stabilised my framerate on the Avenger so that it felt more smooth.

Desaan

My game literally goes sub 20fps with a 980ti and a 4ghz 5820k anytime a grenade destroys part of a building, the next few turns are a PITA with spikey framerates because of lolz fire/destructable enviroment effects UE3 can't deal with.

My game literally goes sub 20fps with a 980ti and a 4ghz 5820k anytime a grenade destroys part of a building, the next few turns are a PITA with spikey framerates because of lolz fire/destructable enviroment effects UE3 can't deal with.

On a fucking 980ti? Same shit happens to me on my 970. Just did a retaliation mission with fire everywhere, and was getting constant spikes to 15fps regardless if it was an explosion occurring, or a soldier moving. Lowering decals did nothing, same with shadows.

Top Bottom