• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
xcom2sysreqsbvp4d.jpg

xcom2sysreqs_macfvsfx.jpg

xcom2sysreqs_linuxkeswk.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Proper 21:9 support: Open C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config\XComEngine.ini and change AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV to AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV. (Credit to Human_me.)
Improve performance: Lowering the "Decals" setting may notably improve the framerate when in base view. (Credit to LurkerPrime.) Additionally, have a read of RPS' performance guide. (Credit to SalsaShark.)
Mitigate stuttering: See the "Fix stuttering" section of this guide. (Credit to reyqune @ Steam Community via CynicalBastard.)
Shorten post-mission load times: Hit the caps lock key during the loading screen. (Credit to someone @ Reddit via MonorailCat.)
Skip intro videos: Right-click on the game in your Steam library -> Properties -> Set launch options... -> Input -nostartupmovies. (Credit to someone @ PCGamingWiki.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
Preset: Minimum; Low; Medium; High; Maximum
Anti-aliasing: Disabled; FXAA; MSAA 2x; MSAA 4x; MSAA 8x
Ambient occlusion: Disabled; Tile AO; SSAO
Decals: Some static; All static; All decals
Shadows: Directional only; Static only; All shadows
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Maximum
Texture detail: Low; Medium; High; Maximum
Texture filtering: Bilinear; Triliinear; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Depth of field: Disabled; Simple; Bokeh
Draw distance: Low; Medium; High
High-res translucency: Off/On
Bloom: Off/On
Dirty lens: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On
Screen-space reflections: Off/On

Durante

First of all, it's fantastic that they are supporting real AA.

Secondly, I already foresee people running the game with 8xMSAA and complaining about the performance.

Dr Dogg

Best part about native MSAA support is easy SGSSAA too. Though can imagine that will bring this game to its knees.

Secondly, I already foresee people running the game with 8xMSAA and complaining about the performance.

Oh gosh, I have a friend like this.

He played Metro Redux with 4xSSAA and complained that it was unoptimized when his framerate wasn't stable.

Jubbly

Hopefully MFAA works. Can someone with NVidia test and report back?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Lol. Glad I decided not to wait to buy my Surface Book to play this....

Hoping it will run decently on my 3770k SLI 970s setup.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What settings would ya'll suggest for 1440p/Gsync on a 980tI? I saw in TB's video how performance can vary greatly.

Rodin

Sweet, will wait for reports to know how it runs on a 970. Still have a lot of stuff from the first one to play thanks to humblebundle.

If MSAA is "real" AA i'm glad "fake" AA methods exist.

Nah

Hopefully I'll be able to run this at 1080/30 with high settings and FXAA :)
What card?

KKRT00

Jasec? Was the screenshot done with 8x MSAA enabled? I hope not.

What a pity that they havent implemented TAA. I prefer downsampling + TAA to any other AA method.

Akronis

Getting around 77-105fps with one GTX 980 (SLI disabled) and an i7-4930K at 4.4GHz

Everything on max except SSR and AA set to FXAA.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Haha yep I immediately thought the same thing when I saw they had 8x MSAA. "that's gotta be a pretty big performance hit, I bet people will complain about that and cry about bad optimization"

Well, given the steam bottom reqs vs what is apparently a pretty demanding max, I'd be curious to see the gulf between the two in visuals.

Edit: Wait... Are those specs even right for the steam recommended? I thought I saw someone say on max setting for everything it was taking something like 4.2gbs on their gpu? Maybe they meant just memory? Man, I really want to see some actual performance breakdowns.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've updated the system requirements image. I didn't think they'd change so close to release (literally a matter of hours).

Edit: I think the sys reqs were originally those for Just Cause 3. Whoopsie.

bee

4k 'max' settings (2xaa) gets 25fps on a titan x :p turned aa off and shadows down to high and its around 40, with gsync that's fine for me

i'm sure it'll run much worse later in the game, i'll turn some more stuff down or hopefully some tweak guides will appear

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
4k 'max' settings (2xaa) gets 25fps on a titan x :p turned aa off and shadows down to high and its around 40, with gsync that's fine for me

Gsync has really been a godsend. It's made a world of a difference in how I play my games. Surprised that a Titan X isn't enough for maxed out 4K(maybe a bump down in AA) considering what's presented on screen. Must be a lot of things happening behind the scenes.

Based on the visuals I assumed I could play the game close to max with my 670 (except msaa).

I assumed much the same, but I've been under the impression that performance is actually pretty demanding, unless the people saying that are all using max msaa and don't realize that.

ISee

So First impression:

i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz
980 @ 1465mhz
16gb ddr3 @ 2400mhz

1080p, maximum preset but MSAA set to 2x instead of 8x.

Pre rendered cutscenes seem to run in 30fps.

There is a huge difference in performance between mission areas and the ship.
I get around between 66 - 50 fps during missions so far. That's okay in my book as this is a turn based RTS and personally I do not care if my fps go down to 50 when something explodes (just two missions in now...).

On the ship I get between 35 and 45 fps. Again not a big deal for me.

CPU usage is around 50% atm. The GPU seems to be the decisive factor.

masterkajo

Just got in the title screen and it took over 20 seconds to load on a

i5-2500k
HD7850
4GB

Sets me to medium. Will try playing the game in a bit once I copied it to the SSD to improve loading times.

samn

I'd be really grateful if someone could test in-game fps at 720p minimal settings, and give the name of their GPU, so that I can work out how this would run on my awful below-min-spec laptop (i7, but with a GT 555M).

Top Bottom