• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Is there any possible way to know ahead of time if one will have problems with this game? Has anything been narrowed down in terms of what's causing the worst of it?

Spinifex

Performance problems are annoying but what's more annoying is the sometimes 10-30 second pause after certain actions / waiting for the aliens to make their moves. As in when the game literally just sits there, still, with ALIEN ACTIVITY.

It's a shame cause the game is addictive as hell.

what's more annoying is the sometimes 10-30 second pause after certain actions / waiting for the aliens to make their moves. As in when the game literally just sits there, still, with ALIEN ACTIVITY.

Codename STEAM flashbacks.

giphy.gif

Even the main menu is inconsistent. Sometimes it has framedrops when there's barely anything happening. Sometimes it holds at 60fps even with fire and smoke and other fancy particle effects.

uKHb.png

Cleve

No way to describe game performance for me other than all over the place at 1080 on high or above, and I have a 980.

The game's pretty lucky it's turn based, or I'd have refunded it.

I feel like i'm getting even worse performance when I lower settings. With a 980 this is just inexcusable. Can't think of the last time a game performed this badly for me.

epmode

Any word on a patch yet?

I don't think Firaxis has said anything specific. They released a statement about how "some players have experienced performance issues" and not much else. I was hoping to hear something that wasn't filtered through the PR machine.

GECK

Is the Stop Wasting My Time mod save compatible? I tried enabling it mid-campaign and I'm still getting crazy slowdown at times. The game even froze when I tried to mindskull Advent Officer that was posted against a wall (worked on a different angle/seed though I don't even know whats going on there). Crazy stuff.

Yeah, I'm probably getting a refund if they don't patch this before the 2 weeks are over.

The base is surprisingly solid so far, but the framerate on the battlefield is terrible. getting 40-50 even with everything on low. 970 and an old i7 here.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have a 120hz monitor.

In windowed borderless with Rivatuner capping at 40fps., and have been running it at mostly maxed settings (AA is FXAA, Shadows are a tick below max). It feels great and the performance is now perfectly consistent.

Just an idea for some others. My experience is way, way better.

Performance problems are annoying but what's more annoying is the sometimes 10-30 second pause after certain actions / waiting for the aliens to make their moves. As in when the game literally just sits there, still, with ALIEN ACTIVITY.

Have you tried the STOP Wasting my Time! Mod? It's FREAKING AMAZING!

Try this modded BaseEngine.ini, since it loosens the restrictions on UE3:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b98zbu11cus89b/BaseEngine.rar
Is this from the Steam Workshop INI Tweaks? I'm using his tweaks and I jumped to 99FPS on 1440p with a 980Ti (It does fluctuate, not a steady 99 at all times).

Carlius

Banned
Yeah, I'm probably getting a refund if they don't patch this before the 2 weeks are over.

The base is surprisingly solid so far, but the framerate on the battlefield is terrible. getting 40-50 even with everything on low. 970 and an old i7 here.

whats an old i7 mean? first gen i7?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's pretty exciting.

In related news, does Nvidia ever tease out info on future driver updates or do they just land whenever they land?

Still blown away that they didn't have game-ready XC2 drivers ready to go prior to launch.

The latter.

Firebrand

Managed to solve my memory-related crashes, my swapfile apparantely was too small (2GB), set it to let Windows manage and now it seems to be working well.

A bit odd as I haven't had any other game complain about memory. The process is only listed as using 2-3 GB RAM, but usage compared to idle is about 6-7 GB. I'm guessing the game just caches all the texture data through the drivers.

Maybe time to add some more RAM.

I've never used mods via Steam Workshop before. After I subscribe to them, when I launch the game I should see them on the launcher, right? My launcher doesn't show anything and i've tried to validate the files to no avail.

Edit: I figured it out. Steam never initialized or downloaded the mods. I never saw XCOM 2 - Workshop Content in my download history. I checked my Steam Settings and under Downloads I had downloads set to a schedule in the middle of the night. I disabled that setting, unsubscribed from the mods, restarted Steam and subscribed again and it's all good.

I've never used mods via Steam Workshop before. After I subscribe to them, when I launch the game I should see them on the launcher, right? My launcher doesn't show anything and i've tried to validate the files to no avail.

That's how they're supposed to work, yeah. I just subscribed to a few and they show up in my launcher. Don't know why it's not working for you =(

XCOM 2 is constantly having trouble loading my save files after I come back from closing the whole thing out.

Also 2k seems to ignore me constantly saying "Decline" to their online services agreement. That's rather annoying.

XCOM 2 is constantly having trouble loading my save files after I come back from closing the whole thing out.

Also 2k seems to ignore me constantly saying "Decline" to their online services agreement. That's rather annoying.

The last time I clicked "i disagree" on a software installer EULA it just installed anyway.

Does it load better if you rename your logs folder in My Games/XCOM2/XComGame?

There's something in the My Games/XCOM2 folder that's given a couple people trouble loading or even starting COM 2.

Did you happen to save on a map that might have burrowed Chrysalids? Because that's known to have the potential to break save games (happened to me).

vakarian32

I haven't had any major issues myself, but even with a 980 Ti it's pretty choppy in some parts. Turning off screen space reflections and setting shadows to static only was all I needed to do really, that gave me an extra ~15 fps or so. Would like to use MSAA but that's not happening yet, 1440p with FXAA the jaggies aren't too bad I guess.

LiK

gonna repost that i used the Auto-Detect option and it ran fine for the most part on my 970. i don't think it's worth putting everything on max and trying to tweak it with the technical issues it has right now.

gonna repost that i used the Auto-Detect option and it ran fine for the most part on my 970. i don't think it's worth putting everything on max and trying to tweak it with the technical issues it has right now.

What if auto-detect puts everything on max like it does for me?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Auto detect maxed me out and ran like bottom tier ass.

Even if you don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking, it can still be worthwhile to turn down the really performance hungry settings like screen space reflections and AA.

In my case, maxing out shadows was a big enough improvement to visuals that it was worth a small (and it was small in this case) performance hit. If the game's not gonna hit a constant 60 anyway I may as well make some compromises. This is on a laptop with a GTX 970m.

They may be calculating a lot of moves?, like that algorithm used for chess, I don't recall the name where you evaluate a lot of outcomes, rate them and then choose the "best" of them.

edit: https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Monte-Carlo+Tree+Search this one

pahamrick

I used Auto-Detect on my 970 and it maxed everything out + 8xMSAA at 1080p. Needless to say, the FPS on the main menu was in the mid 20s.

Top Bottom