• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Same here. With DSR it's maxing out at 1080, even though I have 1440 and 2160 DSR options.

Aaron D.

Anyone having issues with screen resolutions not showing up in Video Options?

I don't see 1920X1080 anywhere. And I'm not running in windowed mode or anything.

So strange.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
My performance is pretty bad

Get around 35-42 fps in battle and around 20 fps in the base with drops to the tens.

r9 380 - i5 4460 - 8 gb RAM
Graphics on medium without AA and texture filtering

Or maybe that's normal with that setup, I don't know.

Vitor711

My performance is reasonable.

Maxed out with no AA at 1440p, get 50-60FPS on the first few missions. Running a 980 and i5-4690k with a 15% overclock on the GPU.

Coketruck

If some resolutions aren't showing up on the options menu, try verifying the integrity of the cache. When I did so, it found two corrupted files and re-downloaded them. Suddenly, I had all the resolution options.

Maels

Banned
Please don't buy this game till they fix it.

GTX 970s running at 1080 without vsync or AA not hitting 60 fps? Come on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

On the one hand, multiple 970's should be able to hold 1080/60 with no AA and the settings the game provides.

On the other hand, disabling settings like Bokeh and SSAO doesn't extremely hamper the experience with the style of game it is and it plays great afterward.

I'm on a lightly overclocked 970 and have been getting ~56-60fps with one tick below max shadows, no AA, and bokeh DoF - all else maxed.

If some resolutions aren't showing up on the options menu, try verifying the integrity of the cache. When I did so, it found two corrupted files and re-downloaded them. Suddenly, I had all the resolution options.

That's a hot tip my friend. I also had 2 invalid files.

Coketruck

Glad I could help. I installed the game on three PCs (living room, laptop and Surface) and had to verify the cache on every single one in order to get the proper resolutions to show up. Two invalid files each time. Ridiculous.

Aaron D.

I did a File Integrity check and it downloaded about 11MB of new stuff, but when I fired the game back up I still didn't see 1920x1080 in the Video Options menu.

No biggie atm, I'm just waiting for a stability patch to drop anyway before digging into the game.

anddo0

I am confused. I have 580m and i7-2630QM, I started the game yesterday in 1080p/medium settings and in turorial I was getting around 30fps. Should I expect major change in performance during regular missions?

I had to force the game into "high performance settings". I did a clean install of my graphics drivers as well. I finally got it to run between 45-55 fps on high settings.

Overall though, the game feels incredibly sluggish.

Dynamic fire effects positively destroy my framerate. Holy cow. Went from 60 to a rock-solid 24 while it was onscreen. With a 970.

The good news is that lowering decals to medium or whatever dramatically improved my framerate in the base view (antfarm).

i7 clocked at 4.6 and twin Titan (original) SLI, everything maxed with no AA and performance is all over the place, great one minute to the teens in the next, load times are completely crazy for an SSD with lock ups and stuttering. Kind of a mess right now.

Game is a lot of fun apart from that.

i7 clocked at 4.6 and twin Titan (original) SLI, everything maxed with no AA and performance is all over the place, great one minute to the teens in the next, load times are completely crazy for an SSD with lock ups and stuttering. Kind of a mess right now.

You really can't find a rig much better than that. Geeze, still strange performance.

Vex_

Banned

Yea c'mon. That's BS now. No way should you have any trouble.

Firaxis said:
Our expertise here is PC. That's our home, and that's where we're really comfortable.

BS

They were better off releasing the game on all platforms at this point. (I really just want controller support so bad :c)

Anyone having issues with screen resolutions not showing up in Video Options?

I don't see 1920X1080 anywhere. And I'm not running in windowed mode or anything.

So strange.

That happened to me last night, it only let me choose 720p. I restarted the game and it fixed the issue somehow.

Game runs like complete ass on my pc.

i7-970
16 GB
W10

I'm talking about 10-15 fps even on the lowest settings. I verified the cache and I had two files missing, so I fixed that but it still didn't help. Going to verify it again and probably try an older driver.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
On the one hand, multiple 970's should be able to hold 1080/60 with no AA and the settings the game provides.

On the other hand, disabling settings like Bokeh and SSAO doesn't extremely hamper the experience with the style of game it is and it plays great afterward.

I'm on a lightly overclocked 970 and have been getting ~56-60fps with one tick below max shadows, no AA, and bokeh DoF - all else maxed.

FXAA, DoF on simple, rest maxed and im getting 1080/60 (or 1080/55-60 as usual with any game), but I havent played much yet

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
With SLI 970s?

Yes but SLI isnt working I believe?

Like I said ive only played a couple of missions. The worst performance is, bafflingly, on the screen when you level up your soldier, it drops to the 40s... like wtf its just 1 guy slightly animating and a stat screen lol.

I'm still considering waiting for a patch to fully dive into the game, partly because of bugs like the 5 second freeze after your turn or the aforementioned level up screen thing, but mostly because I dont have that much free time because of work and im still heavily into Darkest Dungeon (which in itself is a easier game to just play for like half an hour). Then again maybe ill boot up xcom later and then play it for like the 4 hours I have free, who knows

Game runs fine for me (performance-wise) now after lowering AA and depth of field, but it's crashing after about 15 mins of play. Check the logs and there's all sorts of messages about not being able to find files or run certain scripts. Validated cache, reinstalled the game, reinstalled directx/dotnet/vc and still no luck. Turned off everything I could find, firewalls and anti virus included, unplugged extra controllers, monitored my temps, and nothing helps. :(

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
My performance is pretty bad

Get around 35-42 fps in battle and around 20 fps in the base with drops to the tens.

r9 380 - i5 4460 - 8 gb RAM
Graphics on medium without AA and texture filtering

Or maybe that's normal with that setup, I don't know.

Hem... I'm thinking I maybe shouldn't even bother buying it...

i5-4690K 3.5GHz
8GB RAM
R9 280 3GB

I was just hoping for a modest 1080 @ 30fps. Guess I need a new video card this Christmas.

Nothing seems to be helping me, so I'll just wait for the first patch. I should have known this would happen. Firaxis pulled the same shit with Civ BE, that game had terrible performance and stability at launch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Runs great for me. Everything maxed at 1080p, just with FXAA and I'm getting 60 - 80 fps without any crazy dips like some people are mentioning. I have V-sync turned off and am using a G-Sync monitor, though. i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GTX 970.

I think it's a damn fine looking game.

This game is running my GTX 680 to 97 degrees (Celcius), I decided to shut down the game before it got any hotter.

Definitely needs some optimisation, what a fucking joke. I have a 680 SLI, but the game doesn't support multi GPUs'. It's actually hard to believe that this is a PC exclusive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Weird to see such wildly varying performance reports seemingly regardless of hardware power.

Waikis

This game is running my GTX 680 to 97 degrees (Celcius), I decided to shut down the game before it got any hotter.

Definitely needs some optimisation, what a fucking joke. I have a 680 SLI, but the game doesn't support multi GPUs'. It's actually hard to believe that this is a PC exclusive.

Add xcom2.exe to EU's profile. Go to control panel and select xcom2. Change sli to afr2.

Done.

-Open NVIDIA Inspector
-Go to the Enemy Unknown profile
-"Add Application To Current Profile" option near the top
-Select XCOM 2 executable
-Apply Changes
-Open NVIDIA control panel
-Manage 3D Settings
-Program Settings and then add XCOM 2
-Change SLI Rendering Mode to "Force alternate frame rendering 2"

I don't have the game and have no idea if it works but that's what they mean.

Vex_

Banned

I think this is what I am most worried about. Those temps. My fan roars with this game. And for no good reason. I would expect my fans to go hard with skyrim or the witcher 3 (the only two games to make my acx 2.0 fans roar like a lion). But this?

...no.

Miker

For what it's worth, I'm having a decent experience locking it to 30 fps with RivaTuner (constant 33.3ms frametimes woo) on my ancient 7850 with most things on medium, and textures on high. Shadows are on directional only to avoid drops during camera changes, like zooming in on the ant farm. If you don't mind a locked 30 fps for a TBS game, then I'd say you shouldn't be afraid of buying it even with older hardware.

And can somebody explain just what the hell the shadow setting in this game actually does? There's directional only (low), static only (med) and all (high), but I have no idea what the difference is between directional and static. I see that the characters cast shadows on all shadows (high), but only on some maps. There are some maps in which all three shadow settings look completely identical, and I don't really get it at all.

Example of max settings:
XCOM_2_maximal_Ingame-pcgh.jpg
I don't see any shadows at all, which is weird.

EDIT: Okay, I've taken my own screenshots of the three different shadow settings at the isometric map, the main menu, and looking at the living quarters in the ant farm. You can take a look at it here: http://imgur.com/a/Gq74y. It goes directional/static/all.

Got an average of 60 fps in the tutorial mission, sometimes higher, occasionally lower (always staying between 50-70 for the most part) with everything on max except AA (FXAA), and DOF and AO turned off.

FX-8350
R9 280X
16 GB RAM
SSD

Rhaknar

Sorry been tired of explaining this a couple of times now.
It's a sli fix for xcom2.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/448b5u/sli_performance_tip/

The one I linked above doesnt use EU's profile in Inspector though.. Cant find the source for the one that I used.

welp, this works and you can notice the boost in the ant farm and whatnot, but its impossible to play without cover icons (basically when you move the cursor to a cover location the icon showing if its half or full cover is simply gone) so its useless.

what a weird bug.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Meh.

Running at 1440p with all settings maxed, and vsync on and it runs great. 5 hours in.

If I turn Bokeh and SSAO down one notch, I can bump it up to 4K.

And the game itself is great. So..

Would say "don't buy it" just because you can't get 60fps at max settings. That's sort of silly.
It's a turn based game for Christ sakes. Not a twitch FPS. 60 FPS won't effect your gameplay, AT ALL.

red731

Locked the game to 30fps via RivaTuner, maxed everything except AA to blurry FXAA and am happy.
Utilization of gpu is around 60%, desktop will not fly into the air then and am waiting for perf patch, gpu drivers.

bee

personally i'm happy with the performance of this game, on a titan x i took 4k max as a starting point then dropped shadows to high and switched AA off, wasn't bad but i've since took decals down one notch and also put depth of field to simple, this gets me 40-45fps in isometric and 35-40 in cinematic camera which is fine with gsync, installed on an old ssd i have zero stutter and fast loading, the base screen could do with some more performance though

Big Brett

I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone had an issue with cutscenes in particular? My audio gets super jacked up during cutscenes. Insane crackling. I'm thinking this may be a localized issue but I also am not sure why it only happens during cinematics.

Weird to see such wildly varying performance reports seemingly regardless of hardware power.
I find the difference between running the game on Minimum settings and High (with FXAA/no DoF/no SSAO) is, like, 15 fps.

Granted my laptop is heading towards its third birthday and this is probably it's last AAA hurrah, but still.

Brakara

I have an nvidia 660 and some effects tank performance. Even FXAA is heavy for some reason, going with no AA gave me a 10 fps boost. It seems that AA, SSAO, Bokeh and the last option hit performance the most. I get between 30 and 50 fps in battles, which is ok for this type of game. 25 fps at the general base view, thank goodness it's just a glorified menu.

Can you show your settings (I have a 660 as well) ?

I happen to be idling on the Armory screen while doing something else, and I just watched the framerate, which was hovering around 40, drop into the teens for seemingly no reason for about fifteen seconds before climbing back up. No interaction from me.

Is this just my card overheating and throttling? XCOM 2 has it going north of 85C constantly.

Good performance here with 970/2500k all max FXAA. I play without vsync on a 144hz monitor, no tearing whatsoever. Framerate goes from 45 to 80 fps, but I'm having a pretty smooth experience.

Parsnip

I'm running these settings on GTX 970, 1080p, more or less rock solid 60 when it matters. Only dips I've seen so far have happened in skyranger when going in or returning from a mission, so during heavy loading.
Screen space reflections seems to absolutely murder my performance, so I cut it.
And I don't like DoF so I cut it.
And only FXAA on AA front.

Has some headroom most of the time in case of unexpected explosions or whatever. Not even all the VRAM hungry.

Update on this, played couple more missions, one with bunch of fire and shit, still running fine.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Awesome! Downloaded the 2 files. Haven't launched it yet, but I'm sure I'll be good now.

edit: well, I went to launch it and Steam went through the validation again. It didn't download anything, but now when I load it up I still can't downsample. MSAA gives me no AA as well. Frustrating stuff. FXAA is okay, but it's been a long time since I've used it and the blurriness is really noticeable.

I feel crazy for doing this but I think in gonna crank everything to high and down sample, while locking to 30fps. I can easily get 60fps with Bokeh off, but even with a frame rate lock in RTSS the game drops, stutters and hitches too frequently. If it were anything but a turn based game i wouldn't dream of it, but it's just so much more stable at 30.

Top Bottom