• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

I don't know why we see these long pauses after performing certain actions in the tactical mode. Like, it takes forever to lose concealment and start the overwatch train after I finally trigger my ambush.

You on Solid State? This happens to me and I was worried it was because I'm on a hard drive.

You won't even get 30 fps with a 970.

Also, you guys really need to stop with the unoptimized talk if you don't even know what the different graphical effects mean and what kind of performance cost they have. Some of you are surprised that bokeh is expensive. I'm sorry but you really need to educate yourselves before speaking about performance issues. Yes, some effects are subtle, but that doesn't mean they don't require a lot.

Without hairworks and a couple of other settings turned down, I got 60fps with dips in certain locations on my 970. Helps to know what you're talking about.

And that point about educating yourself? Yeah, hilarious coming from you. A number of us have already pointed out why it's unoptimized. Videos have been posted. Educate yourself.

You on Solid State? This happens to me and I was worried it was because I'm on a hard drive.

Same thing happens to me on an SSD. Annoying pause after breaking cover or pretty much doing anything except moving.

Kudo

Happens to me too on hard drive so I assume it's normal. It's a broken mess for me, really diminishing my enjoyment with all these technical problems.

npa189

Not sure how it looks in 16:9 but i seem to get alot of framing problems in 21:9 with the battle cutscenes.. lots of heads getting chopped off and etc

24829799245_92ea2f2488_b.jpg

same, I might play in 16:9 unless they fix it, its too cropped in 21:9. Its a shame, I thought with this being PC only it would be a cutting edge game.

Turning off AA and then forcing the same amount through Nvidia Control Panel both creates a more effective AA with better performance. Clearly the game is optimized though.

Rodin

You didn't run Witcher 3 maxed out on a 970 at 60 fps, that's for sure.

2618954-trying+not+to+laugh.gif

I played it at 1080/60 without hairworks (i don't like how it looks on Geralt) and with shadows and draw distance on high, everything else is on max. I don't feel like i missed much, maybe only the wolves/bears hairs.

XCOM 2 from what i've read in this thread looks like has some unoptimized bits at least, and no i'm not talking about people who are playing it with MSAA 8x and complaining about frame rate.

You won't even get 30 fps with a 970.

Also, you guys really need to stop with the unoptimized talk if you don't even know what the different graphical effects mean and what kind of performance cost they have. Some of you are surprised that bokeh is expensive. I'm sorry but you really need to educate yourselves before speaking about performance issues. Yes, some effects are subtle, but that doesn't mean they don't require a lot.
It is unoptimized. My 980 Ti with FXAA on should run a hell of a lot better than it does. Don't play down other's issues.

Freezard

Turning off AA and then forcing the same amount through Nvidia Control Panel both creates a more effective AA with better performance. Clearly the game is optimized though.

No, it's really not optimized. I run Crysis better than I run this game, and Crysis still looks miles better almost 10 years later.

If you're getting low GPU usage and therefore a low framerate in a mission, try alt-tabbing out and back in. Went from around 50% GPU usage and 45fps to 60% usage and 60fps.

epmode

Solid state. A fast one, too. Decrypted the game in just over 10 minutes.

Seems like the delay is caused by something else. The pauses between turns during the first tutorial mission were very long as well.

5820K, 980Ti, 16GB RAM, SSD

Haven't messed with custom settings yet, but the game defaulted to High @ 1440, which got me a mostly steady 65FPS. I tried putting it on Max temporarily and the menu FPS dropped to low 30s, so I fell back. There were some noticeable dips though even running on High. Game dropped down to around 9FPS for a second during one of the cutscenes. Haven't seen anything perform like this on my new build yet. Even the Witcher 3 runs at a steady 60FPS on Ultra. I'll try the GeForce optimized settings later tonight and see how it goes.

EDIT: I also noticed the unusually long pause between some turns.

If I increase some graphical settings, I seem to get slightly less framedrops in missions because GPU usage is higher as a result. So well optimized, right?

Human_me

Not sure how it looks in 16:9 but i seem to get alot of framing problems in 21:9 with the battle cutscenes.. lots of heads getting chopped off and etc

24829799245_92ea2f2488_b.jpg
same, I might play in 16:9 unless they fix it, its too cropped in 21:9. Its a shame, I thought with this being PC only it would be a cutting edge game.

Find your XComEngine.ini file under C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

Then find:

[Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV

Change that with this:

AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

That will fix all of 21:9 ultra wide issues.
Disclaimer: I have not thoroughly tested this yet, but it seems to fix the vert- in the game.

EDIT Pics:
BEFORE FIX:

AFTER FIX:

anddo0

Anyone have any experience with a Maxwell 860m?

I finally got the game to start and it's a disaster.
Does GmG give refunds?

Anyway, I have a 7970m 2gb, which is comparable. The game runs at an amazing 12fps (Both EU/EW ran above 60FPS, hell I can play The Witcher 3 3 at around 35-40 fps). I don't get it. If you're on a laptop best stay away.

I forced 1440p through the .ini file (since I couldn't select resolutions higher then 1080p).

Game automatically started locking itself to 30 FPS if I have shadows on max. Lowering the shadows setting uncaps the framerate.

wtzgU.gif

Kezen

Banned
Does GmG give refunds?

Anyway, I have a 7970m 2gb, which is comparable. The game runs at an amazing 12fps (Both EU/EW ran above 60FPS, hell I can play The Witcher 3 3 at around 35-40 fps). I don't get it. If you're on a laptop best stay away.

Laptops are not officially supported, you can't be surprised if any AAA game runs like ass on it.

jtar86

As far as I know my Alienware Alpha has a card similar to the 860m. Right now I'm running at 1080 with all settings on low except for textures and its mostly a solid 60. It drops occasionally but that's par for the course judging by what I've seen everyone saying.

Does GmG give refunds?

nope :/

would have pre-ordered from them if they did

I'm still confused how in the FUCK Witcher 3 runs better than a turn based strategy game that's developed by Firaxis and PC exclusive.

Sloane

Banned
After playing for three hours or so, the game seems a bit unpolished in general, which caught me by surprise. The performance is all over the place, the camera seems to be worse than in EU, and I've even encountered some missing sprites / placeholder images. And, yeah, fire definitely seems to kill the framerate.

Game is great otherwise but it really feels like it would have needed another month or two before getting released.

malcher

Does GmG give refunds?

I am confused. I have 580m and i7-2630QM, I started the game yesterday in 1080p/medium settings and in turorial I was getting around 30fps. Should I expect major change in performance during regular missions?

Atilac

nope :/

would have pre-ordered from them if they did

I'm still confused how in the FUCK Witcher 3 runs better than a turn based strategy game that's developed by Firaxis and PC exclusive.

Not optimized? Maybe the consoles versions kept them in check with the first game. This shouldn't be the next "Can it run" meme.

3570K, GTX 970, 16gb ram, mechanical HD, win 7. game is running atrociously at 1080, even after cranking stuff down. hitches everywhere, especially whenever the camera goes to action cam and in the base.

I'm kind of loving the game but the performance is appalling

Seems like Steam Controller support is pretty good from what one poster here said.

I'll confirm this. I need to tweak some bindings to my taste, but it's a good experience so far

I am confused. I have 580m and i7-2630QM, I started the game yesterday in 1080p/medium settings and in turorial I was getting around 30fps. Should I expect major change in performance during regular missions?

Yeah I ran through the tutorial mission and the following cutscenes on my i5 940M laptop on lowest settings and everything seemed fine. All the talk of the game performing badly surprises me, and I'm also wondering if I should expect a big change coming.

Getting my new PC in two weeks, hopefully the game will have already some patches by then.

i5 6600K, 16GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz and a GTX 970 should run this in 1440p at 30fps, right ? I don't need 60fps for this game, I think.

RS4-

3570K, GTX 970, 16gb ram, mechanical HD, win 7. game is running atrociously at 1080, even after cranking stuff down. hitches everywhere, especially whenever the camera goes to action cam and in the base.

I'm kind of loving the game but the performance is appalling

I'll confirm this. I need to tweak some bindings to my taste, but it's a good experience so far

2600k, 8GB, 970 on SSD.

AA off.
AO: SSAO
Shadow & Textrues: High
Texture Filtering: Aniso 2x
DoF: Bokeh
Draw: High
Everything else is checked

I get 50-60 in mission. But cutscenes fluctuate, soldier loadout goes down to the 40s. The mission loading screen inside the drop ship is like 20-40s. Shit is hilarious.

Re: the aniso, I just dropped it from 8 to 2. I have no idea if there's a performance hit, had I left it at 8.

I am not getting voices to play through my speakers, however when I plug in my usb headset everything works fine. Anyone have a clue? Same issue with Tomb Raider

studyguy

3570K OC'd & 680

I mean with the exception of the cutscenes entering into a new area, I'm not really getting any issues. It certainly slows down during those intro to area shots, but beyond that it's not dampening any fun.

So when I turn on MSAA (any) if seems to create more aliasing and appears to turn AA off, but I get the massive fps dive. Has anyone else seen this?

Dsyndrome

So I get 30FPS at the autodetect settings (High) with my 980M, turning AO to simple gives me 60FPS when it's the playing grid. Haven't gotten past 28-30 in Tactical View, during cutscenes, etc, even when turning stuff down to Trilinear and Bokeh off. Seems like this game wants me to play at 30FPS, GeForce Experience cranks stuff higher than the game's autodetect settings.

npa189

Find your XComEngine.ini file under C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

Then find:

[Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV

Change that with this:

AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

That will fix all of 21:9 ultra wide issues.
Disclaimer: I have not thoroughly tested this yet, but it seems to fix the vert- in the game.

EDIT Pics:
BEFORE FIX:

AFTER FIX:

Awesome, I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

KingV

I was expecting this to be a disaster after reading this thread so I just turned it on medium at the start.

On medium defaults at 1080P in borderless window, I'm getting an almost completely rock steady 60FPS with solid 16.6ms frametimes (rivatuner is on as well) on the Avenger, in missions, fires, whatever. Only performance hitch is the weird pauses between certain actions. I really notice it when sectoids use their powers. It's like it takes 5 seconds after the animation is complete tonshow the effect.

System is a 4690K with a 970 and game is on an SSD. GPU utilization is in the 50% range, so I might bump it to high this evening and see how it goes.

So far the game is great!

I do.

On a quad core Intel CPU and a GTX 860M with all Medium settings and FXAA, performance is decent in the tactical view but kinda sucks everywhere else. Patches should fix it up, 'cause I don't see what's so damn demanding.

I mean, it's totally playable when it matters, there are just certain spots/views where the frame rate is terrible. I feel like this should be markedly improved with a driver update/patching, because it seems quite inconsistent.

epmode

I forgot to mention that I've gotten stuck on the soldier customization section once or twice. After a mission ended and I was promoting soldiers and checking stats, I noticed that the game wouldn't allow me to return to my base. Pressing the arrow in the lower left corner did nothing.

Thankfully, force-quitting and loading the autosave corrected it.

I might wait for a patch or two before I start playing for real.

My Alpha can run everything on high (not bokeh DoF) @900p with a consistent 30. There are weird drops though, mission prep drops it always before they enter the Skyranger and the hangs between turns are a little jarring at times. Sometimes I'm not sure if I've actually killed an enemy cause my soldiers stand there for 5 seconds before confirming the kill. Explosions in missions and everything don't seem to do anything. It stays locked at 30 while in combat.

(i3 Dual Core 3.2GHz overclocked, GTX 860M 2GB VRAM overclocked and 8GB RAM)

ACE 1991

for everyone with a 970, what seems to be the sweet spot for a mostly maintained 60FPS despite the game having some optimization issues? Is there a lot of stuttering without using a frame limiter? Thanks.

Anyone else with a 750 Ti?

Don't know if I should enable/disable certain settings beyond what the auto-detect starts you off with.

I honestly don't know that the auto-detect is a good indicator of anything. It maxed everything for me, and in my experience, there's no way I could play the game with that kind of performance. (On a 290x.)

Whoa, I'm not entirely sure what I did, but almost all of my performance issues are gone after I did a few of the tweaks on here. It's the same INI system as XCOM 1, so a lot of those changes still apply. I'm not noticing a huge difference visually, but I think I'm going to play with the INI settings a bit more to find the best balance.

EDIT: If you go with those tweaks, don't change DetailMode to 1 or you'll lose the menus. As always test the tweaks one at a time to make sure you don't get borked.

23qwerty

for everyone with a 970, what seems to be the sweet spot for a mostly maintained 60FPS despite the game having some optimization issues? Is there a lot of stuttering without using a frame limiter? Thanks.
just turn off SSAO, Bokeh, and MSAA. Should get a solid 60 in game. In engine cut scenes seem to use more than 3.5gb VRAM though so you might want to turn down the textures if you care about frame rate there. On the ship decals seem to bring down the frame rate a lot.

ACE 1991

just turn off SSAO, Bokeh, and MSAA. Should get a solid 60 in game. In engine cut scenes seem to use more than 3.5gb VRAM though so you might want to turn down the textures if you care about frame rate there. On the ship decals seem to bring down the frame rate a lot.

Weird. How badly do they tank in these sections? Thanks for the response, by the way.

Top Bottom