• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

My personal findings and recommended settings with a GTX 970 and 2500K overclocked and running 2560x1440 res:

469087a908.png

AA:
FXAA seems to work ok, but MFAA might be worth considering if you hate jaggies and have the performance. I'd say aliasing is one of the biggest issues in terms of the overall image quality, and FXAA doesn't remove all of it.

Ambient Occlusion:
SSAO has a high performance impact but does bring more depth to the image compared to Tile AO or off. Tile AO is cheap, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. I feel SSAO has such a highly variable impact it might be better left to Tile AO.

Shadows:
I think Static only is probably the best in terms of visuals vs. performance. All shadows I assume only adds some shadows to dynamic objects like bodies, cars etc. It had a high cost and low impact at least in the scene I tested, which was a typical city combat scenario.

Shadow Quality:
There's a noticeable softening of shadows from lowest to highest, but performance difference was next to nothing in the scene I tested.

Texture Detail:
With this on max I had VRAM usage somewhere between 2500-3500 MB depending on settings and scene. I haven't seen any evidence of the game running out of VRAM yet, so I'd leave this at maximum with a 4GB card.

Anisotropic Filtering:
AF makes the biggest difference in cinematic scenes where you're looking at the textures like ground/walls at an oblique angle. You can see the difference best in the main menu screen. In the isometric combat view the biggest difference is between bi/trilinear and anisotropic. I'd say it's worth it to keep it at least 2xAF on all systems, but 16x won't make much of a difference in either quality or performance in the isometric view.

Depth of Field:
It seems like Bokeh is either broken or extremely demanding. It totally tanked my performance to sub 30 fps. Simple DOF seems to be the way to go if you like the effect.

Draw Distance:
I didn't see this have much of an effect in the isometric view, but it might have a bigger impact in cinematic scenes.

Out of the toggleable settings I only noticed Screen Space Reflections is likely to have a larger impact, especially during rainy missions where it adds reflections to puddles. The rest are up to preference, though SSS I didn't see having any noticeable impact.

I gotta say the game is surprisingly playable on my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina with custom settings at 1080p.

It's pretty bad tbh, even at 720p on Minimal (3.1ghz i7 and intel iris 6100). And the fans start up and get loud which you never hear normally using a macbook so there goes the battery and you need headphones.
For the quality of graphics produced (flat and low frame-rate) its amazing how many transistors it apparently needs. It chews up an i7 but looks worse - on minimal - than WOW did 8 years ago running on a 1/5th of the machine.

npa189

What is this game doing to chew up so much hardware? It's not a looker by any means. Locking it to 30 until they can figure this out. Aren't Firaxis games supposed to run on toasters?

23qwerty

What is this game doing to chew up so much hardware? It's not a looker by any means. Locking it to 30 until they can figure this out. Aren't Firaxis games supposed to run on toasters?
MSAA, SSAO, and Bokeh. without those it runs pretty decently.

Afrocious

I'll read through this thread's suggestions later since I'm about to get some sleep, but I'm surprised at how much tearing and jankiness I'm getting with the visuals.

I'm using a laptop with an i5 2.20 GHz and a 940M with everything on low and it's running fine. Considering I was worried I wouldn't be able to play at all, I'm ecstatic. But I know for some people the prospect of this game on low would be, like, hideous and unthinkable.

JJD

this whole performance thing would be easier to deal with if the game included gamepad support on launch and I could play it on TV chillin from bed

im bummed

Seems like Steam Controller support is pretty good from what one poster here said.

It's pretty bad tbh, even at 720p on Minimal (3.1ghz i7 and intel iris 6100). And the fans start up and get loud which you never hear normally using a macbook so there goes the battery and you need headphones.
For the quality of graphics produced (flat and low frame-rate) its amazing how many transistors it apparently needs. It chews up an i7 but looks worse - on minimal - than WOW did 8 years ago running on a 1/5th of the machine.

I'm playing on one of the 15 inch models with dedicated GPUs. Steam FPS counter is giving me anywhere from 26 to 34 fps, so not as smooth as I though but good enough for me, but as I said the game is not good looking IMO. EU looked better at launch on 2012 than Xcom 2 is looking now.

The fans get pretty loud but that's expected when gaming on these laptops, and obviously anyone gaming on one should be plugged to the wall.

I'd agree with this. With a 970 (older drivers, probably hurts more than it helps), other hardware exceeding the reqs, and those options disabled it's running at 60 with few-to-no drops in-combat. At least for the first few missions.

The FPS is much more erratic in the base and during transition scenes, though. A rock solid 25-60.

JJD

Kinda surprised with the performance issues when they put all their effort into a PC only version.

I wonder if they had a console version on launch date maybe the game would be better optimized considering how underpowered they are compared to most PCs.

manfestival

well I have set it so that is capped off at 60 fps but so far it has not dropped
I did put the game on mas settings and dropped the shadows, AA, and like one other thing and I have yet to see the game have any actual drops from there.
I am currently running it on a 970 and I am loving it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
These are the settings I'm using, getting 92 FPS in this particular scene, usually 80-100 in game, ~60-70 at base.

GTX 970, i5 4460

That seems like what im going to use. Whats dirty lens?

The fans get pretty loud but that's expected when gaming on these laptops, and obviously anyone gaming on one should be plugged to the wall.

Speaking of that, I'm a PC noob and am playing the game on my laptop as well. It's (going to be) the first game I sink hours into on PC - is it OK play for a few hours with the fans like that? I just ordered a cooling platform thing from newegg, but in the meantime is it OK to play as much as I want?

pigmemonkey

Neo Member
The game runs fine on the missions but is virtually unplayable in the strategy layer.

Freezing constantly, like 3 frames every 30 seconds, black screens where nothing happens for minutes at a time. And during some cutscenes (when the game is actually moving) the audio is out of sync.

I can run rise of the tomb raider just fine but a turn based strategy game is apparently too much. Anyone else have similar issues?

The game runs fine on the missions but is virtually unplayable in the strategy layer.

Freezing constantly, like 3 frames every 30 seconds, black screens where nothing happens for minutes at a time. And during some cutscenes (when the game is actually moving) the audio is out of sync.

I can run rise of the tomb raider just fine but a turn based strategy game is apparently too much. Anyone else have similar issues?

If you haven't already, drop the decals setting if you have performance issues in the base. That shouldn't cause such big issues though, maybe you are running out of VRAM too so perhaps dropping the texture quality might help.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone know what the left paddle on the steam controller does when in battle? The description says "shift touch panel", I have no idea what that means

JJD

Speaking of that, I'm a PC noob and am playing the game on my laptop as well. It's (going to be) the first game I sink hours into on PC - is it OK play for a few hours with the fans like that? I just ordered a cooling platform thing from newegg, but in the meantime is it OK to play as much as I want?

A few hours? I think you will be fine but don't overdo it. Keep an eye on your temps and take a break if they get too high.

Best thing you can do is search on google how your laptop model performs under heavy load. If it's a popular model you'll have no trouble finding information about it from various owners.

Sorry if I can't be of more help.

ntb825

i7 5820k
16gb
980gtx
SSD

Game defaulted to max settings @ 1280x720

I upped it to 4k and it was playable with no AA. Not ideal, but completely playable.

GeForce Experience recommended 2560x1600 with 4x MSAA and everything on max except draw distance, which makes sense. (Edit: it ran wonderfully with these settings)

All of my hardware is at stock clocks btw

I can't even get Xcom 2 fully downloaded/installed. It stops at 98% everytime.

I'm on my third attempt at downloading after doing a clean install of Steam. I'm desperate now.

I've got an i7-3770 and an 970 and I'm blown away not by the framerate, but the crazy stuttering. During mission loads the game crunches down to like 10 frames once or twice. Occasionally it'll drop 40 frames when someone runs towards a window.

Hasney

I'm really not seeing the drops most people are, but I guess 16GB DDR4 is probably helping there.

Tempted to load it on my 8GB 560ti 2500k rig and see what happens there.

23qwerty

I've got an i7-3770 and an 970 and I'm blown away not by the framerate, but the crazy stuttering. During mission loads the game crunches down to like 10 frames once or twice. Occasionally it'll drop 40 frames when someone runs towards a window.

yeah the mission load is stuttery as hell for me

MoonGred

With a 980 Ti @ 1440p and all settings maxed except AA which is at FXAA, It's usually 60 and never below 50 so far. Unless i'm at the base, then it can go to 45 for some reason.

More or less the same performance as you, including the base dropping down to 45fps.

It's really making my card work, currently hovering around 77 degrees which is the highest I've ever seen it go.

Sloane

Banned
With a 980 Ti @ 1440p and all settings maxed except AA which is at FXAA, It's usually 60 and never below 50 so far. Unless i'm at the base, then it can go to 45 for some reason.
Roughly the same here although it "feels" a bit slower / laggier at times. Not quite sure why, guess I'll have to turn Bokeh and SSAO down. Bit weird that the performance is such an issue.

Karak

Agreed. When reviewing it I found Bokeh to be the major offender and setting it one step down was almost unnoticeable. Of course SSAO always has a hit.

I decided to stick at 1080p and with a 980 somewhat solid at 60 with a couple of those down. Not bad. Not great though it took me a a long time to figure out how to keep it there.

As for the stuttering I keep reading about here. I get that wickedly bad during loading. Huge and then it just returns to normal. Or very occasional long sprints across some of the heavier laden maps I will see a dip for a quarter second.

Moff

are the performance issues there from start?
i played the first fews missions, with tutorial enabled and I can't say I had any issues with the action cam. 980TI on 1440p here.
but the game feels generally unoptimized and just not superfluent, it's the most obvious in the loadout/promotion screens, so not a gamebreaker

Kudo

are the performance issues there from start?
i played the first fews missions, with tutorial enabled and I can't say I had any issues with the action cam. 980TI on 1440p here.
but the game feels generally unoptimized and just not superfluent, it's the most obvious in the loadout/promotion screens, so not a gamebreaker

Shouldn't have much problem with 980TI if you're fine with 60fps.
Cards below that though, 25fps on main menu with 780.

KainXVIII

Why this game is so demanding, it does not looks that good? Also why there is prerendered cutscenes, its pc exclusive, so realtime cutscenes is more appropriate, no?

dumbo

Why this game is so demanding, it does not looks that good? Also why there is prerendered cutscenes, its pc exclusive, so realtime cutscenes is more appropriate, no?

The cutscenes tend to jump around locations, each of those would need loading and then rendering - I assume doing it 'in-game' would be a complete stuttering mess.

In terms of the graphics, the levels are dynamic which means the shadows/effects are all real-time. It's also running on UE3+ which isn't the highest performance engine in the world.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So, my initial super early impressions. These are my settings:

had 55-60 (the usual in my experience, its never locked at 60 for me in any game) in that first tutorial mission, and now in the base ship I have 50-55. This is at 1080p. If it stays like this im happy, but it probably gets worse in the proper missions with lots going on, ill update later. I can still drop stuff like SSAO or shadows, I only dropped MSAA to FXAA like everyone said, and also DoF to simple, rest is maxed.

My system is i5 4690k, 2 x 970 SLI (but SLI isnt working you guys say?), 16gb RAM.

The 30fps cut scenes are super jarring especially when it goes from gameplay to those (when youre watching a long cutscene you get used to it), reckon mods can fix that like they fixed the dragon age inquisition cutscenes?

Also, like others have mentioned, there was a annoying 1-2 second pause after each turn end, or before aliens did something.

Thats about it for now, more to come

Tips on getting 60 FPS across the board? Im using a 970 and i5 6660k. In game (combat) I get around 30-40 and Im on the high preset. However on the ship I get 50-60.

23qwerty

Tips on getting 60 FPS across the board? Im using a 970 and i5 6660k. In game (combat) I get around 30-40 and Im on the high preset. However on the ship I get 50-60.
turn off SSAO and Bokeh, maybe MSAA as well

also make sure that frame rate smoothing option in video is off, no idea what that does exactly but I noticed it was not good for the frame rate

golem

Not sure how it looks in 16:9 but i seem to get alot of framing problems in 21:9 with the battle cutscenes.. lots of heads getting chopped off and etc

24829799245_92ea2f2488_b.jpg

Danj

"I can't max it out on day of release! What a crappy unoptimized pile of garbage!"

What would be really useful is if there was a way to find out recommended settings based on what graphics card you have. The nVidia Geforce Experience thingy doesn't seem to have been updated with XCOM 2 settings yet.

My machine is an i7-4770 with 16GB ram and a 6GB GTX Titan (original version, not Z, Black or X). I'm only running in 1080p as I don't have any 4K kit, but the game does struggle a little bit on Maximum, so I'm guessing I need to turn something down/off, I just don't know what.

I tried unchecking the "enable vsync" box but that didn't seem to help much, so I'm guessing it's something else.

Vex_

Banned
So, my initial super early impressions. These are my settings:

had 55-60 (the usual in my experience, its never locked at 60 for me in any game) in that first tutorial mission, and now in the base ship I have 50-55. This is at 1080p. If it stays like this im happy, but it probably gets worse in the proper missions with lots going on, ill update later. I can still drop stuff like SSAO or shadows, I only dropped MSAA to FXAA like everyone said, and also DoF to simple, rest is maxed.

My system is i5 4690k, 2 x 970 SLI (but SLI isnt working you guys say?), 16gb RAM.

The 30fps cut scenes are super jarring especially when it goes from gameplay to those (when youre watching a long cutscene you get used to it), reckon mods can fix that like they fixed the dragon age inquisition cutscenes?

Also, like others have mentioned, there was a annoying 1-2 second pause after each turn end, or before aliens did something.

Thats about it for now, more to come

These are the settings I will use then when I eventually get my hands on this game.

Quoting so I can remember to look here.

980gtx +i54690

Kezen

Banned
What would be really useful is if there was a way to find out recommended settings based on what graphics card you have. The nVidia Geforce Experience thingy doesn't seem to have been updated with XCOM 2 settings yet.

My machine is an i7-4770 with 16GB ram and a 6GB GTX Titan (original version, not Z, Black or X). I'm only running in 1080p as I don't have any 4K kit, but the game does struggle a little bit on Maximum, so I'm guessing I need to turn something down/off, I just don't know what.

I tried unchecking the "enable vsync" box but that didn't seem to help much, so I'm guessing it's something else.

Any level of MSAA engaged ? If so you might want to lower it to 2x.

I'm a bit taken aback by the hardware demands of this game, admittedly I did not follow it much but looking at it I could not tell it would ask for so much grunt.

Rhaknar

These are the settings I will use then when I eventually get my hands on this game.

Quoting so I can remember to look here.

980gtx +i54690

first "proper" mission with the 4 soldiers and what not was a solid 55-60 aswell (actually it was like 57-60), so far so good.

Also, while I fully agree with people saying this shouldnt be this taxing, but people saying this looks like the first one have some rose colored memories of the first game :p

Top Bottom