• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
How's performance on the 7870?

might pick it up with the gmg discount

to tell the truth, it runs like ass on my 7870 (runs from a SSD, i5-4690k)... which is kinda crazy considering what kind of game this is...

even on the low preset it's impossible to get somewhat constant 60fps... huge frame drops all the time

Parsnip

Just started messing with it, I'm sacrificing screen-space reflections and depth of field (I don't even like dof so it's an easy cut) on my GTX 970 for 1080p/60 and it seems be holding steady for now.

What is it with pre-rendered FMVs on PC games that can't even maintain a solid 30fps, and instead jump around between 28-30? First Witcher 3 now XCOM 2.

Klyka

Banned
Just started messing with it, I'm sacrificing screen-space reflections and depth of field (I don't even like dof so it's an easy cut) on my GTX 970 for 1080p/60 and it seems be holding steady for now.

No of the options except shadows and decals did anything for me.

Set decals and shadows to the lowest setting and you have 60fps even in the avenger.
if i max the game on my 970 (FXAA of course) them I have 60 in the missions, apart from random drops and about 45 in the avenger.

23qwerty

ugh I can't get the VPN to work at all for some reason, keeps saying the game is not yet released but I'm doing everything right :/

Mohonky

If I bought this at retail, ie. physical copy, is the game on the disc,or is this going to be like one of those have a disc, download the rest deals.

Freezard

i5-3750 @ 4.2 GHz
Radeon 7850 1 GB
8 GB RAM
SSD

Game runs at a very unreliable 60 fps on low settings and 1080p. After the training mission where there is fire and smoke it barely runs at 40 fps and in the base view it runs at like 30 fps or lower.

I know my PC is old but I really didn't expect such bad performance from a game like this, it doesn't even look that great. I just played through Hard Reset on max at 60 fps and it looks way better than this game does.

i5-3750 @ 4.2 GHz
Radeon 7850 1 GB
8 GB RAM
SSD

Game runs at a very unreliable 60 fps on low settings and 1080p. After the training mission where there is fire and smoke it barely runs at 40 fps and in the base view it runs at like 30 fps or lower.

I know my PC is old but I really didn't expect such bad performance from a game like this, it doesn't even look that great. I just played through Hard Reset on max at 60 fps and it looks way better than this game does.

1 GB of VRAM is rough (coming from a former 560ti 1.2GB owner.)

Buy a new Pascal/Polaris card in the summer and you'll be back to max settings.

The_Super_Inframan

this seems to be the best compromise at the moment between almost smooth gameplay and not looking like total ass on my 7870 @1080p

AcNYPjC.png

What are the desktop equivalents of the i7 6700HQ and GTX 965M? I've not seen any good benchmark sites that have my hardware and compare to desktop hardware.

Slightly below a GTX 950 which based on the benchmarks I've seen should give you 40-50 fps on medium settings. The cpu should not be an issue.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im surprised theres no new nvidia driver for this release

Logged out on my phone already

I've tried two different VPNs (including the one in the OP) I've tried NZ, AUS, and India, I've restarting steam several times. Wonder if there's some Steam cache I could clear

hm yeah that's very weird. Do you have steam set to automatically log in, by chance? Not sure if it'd change anything, but mine is set to log automatically and it worked for me.

GametimeUK

So the performance isn't as good as it should be on a 970? Why did I choose to go to PC gaming to just get games that don't run as intended. It gets really frustrating.

Just give me a good performing game like MGS5 or The Witcher 3, please.

With a 980 Ti @ 1440p and all settings maxed except AA which is at FXAA, It's usually 60 and never below 50 so far. Unless i'm at the base, then it can go to 45 for some reason.

Desaan

Playing on max settings (FXAA) @1440p running on a i7 5820k @4.0ghz with a GTX 980ti and 16gb quad channel DDR 4. Averaging mid to high 50's.

The pre-rendered cut scenes running at or below 30fps? What's that shit all about? It's incredibly jarring and I'm running with G-SYNC. It does seem to be INCREDIBLY performance hungry, I've no idea why we aren't talking TW3 levels of detail here. I've played with settings for a few hours, doesn't seem to get much change out of the presets, a few FPS here and there. I lose about 5fps in borderless windowed but with dual monitors it's the only option.

Loading missions in the back of the Skyranger is a stuttering mess for me and that's WITH an SSD.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hopefully a optimization patch wont take long. I assume its too soon to hear from Firaxis? Anyone checked the official forums?

So the performance isn't as good as it should be on a 970? Why did I choose to go to PC gaming to just get games that don't run as intended. It gets really frustrating.

Just give me a good performing game like MGS5 or The Witcher 3, please.

Plenty of people with a 970 have just lowered a few settings and getting mostly 60fps. Now the game seems quite heavy performance wise for whatever reason and lets hope it gets better with updates but how is that stopping you from enjoying a turn based game?

Why did I choose to go to PC gaming

Is that a new grocery store? :p

Smokey

Played for a hour with these settings:

24194935234_1014f5e945_b.jpg

ROG Swift (2560x1440)
4930k @ 4.5ghz
Titan X @ 1320mhz
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD
Win 10
361.75 Drivers

I averaged 51fps. I did set MFAA to On in NVCP which combined with MSAA 2x in the settings, should give me MFAA 4x. If I lower MSAA to FXAA, which I probably will, pretty sure that's 60fps+.

Playing with the same settings except with FXAA instead of MSAA gets me an average of 65fps @ 2560x1440

With a 980 Ti @ 1440p and all settings maxed except AA which is at FXAA, It's usually 60 and never below 50 so far. Unless i'm at the base, then it can go to 45 for some reason.

Yup. Didn't really go below 60 for me once I changed to FXAA, which doesn't look that different to me in this game.

What is it with pre-rendered FMVs on PC games that can't even maintain a solid 30fps, and instead jump around between 28-30? First Witcher 3 now XCOM 2.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed they didn't opt for in-engine cutscenes :/

With that being said, as other have said, AA off is super helpful framerate wise. All maxed out except for AA being turned off and I'm getting about 70-80 fps with 4790K and Titan X at 1440p on ROG SWIFT.

EDIT: Oh boy spoke too fast! The bits in the base are around 55-60.

ManeKast

Asus G76VW + GTX-670MX + I-7 3830QM 2.4ghz + 16gb RAM

VSYNC off;
Latest drivers.

1080p minimal: stuttering and unsteady 30fps, playable
720p medium: same as above
720p: minimal: less stuttering closer to 30 consistent.

JustinBB7

Yea running pretty ass on max settings on a 970. What's recommended settings for a 970? AA lower and other stuff? It looks pretty good, but it shouldn't be this heavy should it.. I ran Witcher 3 better on max settings. Didn't try to change anything yet.

i7-4770k processor
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD
Windows 7

to tell the truth, it runs like ass on my 7870 (runs from a SSD, i5-4690k)... which is kinda crazy considering what kind of game this is...

even on the low preset it's impossible to get somewhat constant 60fps... huge frame drops all the time

That's terrible to hear.

I have a 7870, 4670k and an SSD, I expected it to run at least decent on lower settings. :(

Rhaknar

How most people in this thread feel when some of you guys "complain" that you only have 55-60 fps
mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

:p

epmode

It would be great if people stopped assuming that "max settings" means the same thing across multiple games. I'm coming around to thinking that the most demanding settings should be hidden in INI files instead of in-game menus.

That said, I'm still not sure why there are heavy framerate drops during apparently undemanding scenes. Editing a soldier in particular tanks my framerate. Is it due to bokeh FOV and post processing, maybe?

23qwerty

Yea running pretty ass on max settings on a 970. What's recommended settings for a 970? AA lower and other stuff? It looks pretty good, but it shouldn't be this heavy should it.. I ran Witcher 3 better on max settings. Didn't try to change anything yet.

i7-4770k processor
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD
Windows 7

MSAA is probably a no no if you want good performance, the SSAO is also pretty expensive

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Have an SSD, but I try not to install games on it - I will for XCom 2.

:( How fucked am I? :(

Smokey

i7-4770k processor
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD
Windows 7

2 different games
2 different engines

You need to lower settings, and probably start with AA. I dunno what kind of performance you're looking for? Resolution? 60fps?

Firebrand

I meet recommended settings (i7 4770, 770 2GB) but the game doesn't run great on High settings... guess I'll have to tweak the settings a bit.

A bit surprised since I thought this was basically running the same engine and the previous ran at mostly 60 on a GTX 260, but hey, I shouldn't complain if they added more detail!

What are the biggest performance killers among the options, and do I need to restart the game each time as is sometimes the case with UE games?

AllenShrz

So... no 60fps with a single 980ti at 4k?...

Humm... I guess I should settle with 30fps then... I really cant go back to 1080p now.

The_Super_Inframan

That's terrible to hear.

I have a 7870, 4670k and an SSD, I expected it to run at least decent on lower settings. :(

It's of course still playable without major problems, I just think that the performance is really bad even considering that the 7870 isn't exactly a new card... I mean games like Witcher 3 or FarCry 4 run smoother with more demanding graphic settings on this setup... That just seems kinda wrong

Anyone else experiencing a crash about half way through the tutorial? Game runs fine on my computer, but my wife is having no luck. Updated drivers, disabled background apps, disabled steam overlay, dropped graphics to minimum settings, etc. and no dice. She's sporting win 10 64, ssd, titan x, if it matters.

Wonder if we'll be getting a day one patch.

LiK

man, the wait for it to unlock is freakin' lame. why couldn't they just release this on Tuesday. wanna test out the settings.

Top Bottom