• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, I didn't install it to my SSD because I figured loading times would be super quick for an Unreal 3 non-open world game. My mistake. Guess I will migrate it tomorrow.

Apparently you can use something called steam mover?

Yeah that works but you don't even need to do that. You can just copy the files and move the App ID file (or something like that, I always have to google it). Restart Steam and it will auto-detect the new location and update accordingly.

23qwerty

you can just cut/copy the folder in steamapps/common from the existing hdd/sdd to the steamapps/common in the one you want it on. then you just right click and remove local files on the game in steam, and re-"download" it. it should just recheck/validate the files, voila.

epmode

Performance drops when editing a soldier and when inside the Avenger (post-processing effects?) but the in-mission framerate feels OK. Load times are OK on a solid state drive as well.

Spinifex

Steam mover was made for when Steam didn't support multiple SteamLibrary locations, so it uses symbolic links which I find really messy to maintain.

Mind boggling that Steam doesn't allow moving across drives as an integrated feature.
I can't think of any client that allows you to switch installation folders or drives from within the client. It would be nice to have the feature though.

I'm pretty sure Origin does?

epmode

Mind boggling that Steam doesn't allow moving across drives as an integrated feature.
I can't think of any client that allows you to switch installation folders or drives from within the client. It would be nice to have the feature though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you can just cut/copy the folder in steamapps/common from the existing hdd/sdd to the steamapps/common in the one you want it on. then you just right click and remove local files on the game in steam, and re-"download" it. it should just recheck/validate the files, voila.

This sorcery works?

This game is... sluggish on my machine. I know my laptop's CPU is increasingly creaky, but it's weird how little performance difference I see between Minimal and Medium-High settings.

And yeah, the Armory is the worst offender.

I hope to hell Firaxis realize there's work to be done here.

Also, GeForce Experience is telling me to turn a bunch of stuff up from where I'm getting barely stable 30fps in the tactical missions. Huh?

KingV

Also, GeForce Experience is telling me to turn a bunch of stuff up from where I'm getting barely stable 30fps in the tactical missions. Huh?

Sounds like Arkham Knight, and then a few days later they came out with recommended settings of like Low everything and 720P for like a GTX 970.

At least Tomb Raider looked good, there's nothing to justify the terrible performance in this game.
I think the fuck ton of particle effects they used and the destructability are probably behind it. I know that during EU's development, having six Heavies setting the map on fire with rockets would bring the game to a halt.

Kudo

Ok, might need some help with getting the game running smoothly.
Probably should first update my drivers (359.06), but how much effect should this have? Always reluctant to updating for some reason..

Anyway, i7-6700k & GTX 780, playing at 1440p I'm getting 28-30fps most of the time.
Borderless Windowed, Vsync enabled, FXAA, I've tried messing around with other settings but nothing seems to give the big boost that's needed.

Is this normal or should I be able to run it 60fps?

Random17

Ok, might need some help with getting the game running smoothly.
Probably should first update my drivers (359.06), but how much effect should this have? Always reluctant to updating for some reason..

Anyway, i7-6700k & GTX 780, playing at 1440p I'm getting 28-30fps most of the time.
Borderless Windowed, Vsync enabled, FXAA, I've tried messing around with other settings but nothing seems to give the big boost that's needed.

Is this normal or should I be able to run it 60fps?
60FPS is out of reach I bet.

Try fullscreen with no Vsync.

the_id

I'm getting ~70-80FPS ad 1440p with max settings and FXAA on this game with my Asus Gold20th anniversary GTX980ti overclocked to 1500mhz. I feel that I should get a better performance with my current setup though so I don't think this game is well optimized.

Furthermore, there's something off about the sound.

System:
Intel i7-4770k overclocked to 4.0GHz
16GB DDR3 system ram
Windows 10 Pro

Tain

I think the fuck ton of particle effects they used and the destructability are probably behind it. I know that during EU's development, having six Heavies setting the map on fire with rockets would bring the game to a halt.
That's what I'm thinking. The game's pretty detailed and busy. While I expect performance to improve somewhat, I'm certainly not going to assume it's "unoptimized".

Kudo

60FPS is out of reach I bet.

Try fullscreen with no Vsync.

Just tried, fullscreen and vsync has no real difference in FPS.
If I set everything to lowest I get 56FPS in the main menu, this can't be right. Is GTX 780 really that shitty card for 1440p?

Smokey

Played for a hour with these settings:

24194935234_1014f5e945_b.jpg

ROG Swift (2560x1440)
4930k @ 4.5ghz
Titan X @ 1320mhz
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD
Win 10
361.75 Drivers

I averaged 51fps. I did set MFAA to On in NVCP which combined with MSAA 2x in the settings, should give me MFAA 4x. If I lower MSAA to FXAA, which I probably will, pretty sure that's 60fps+.

Random17

Just tried, fullscreen and vsync has no real difference in FPS.
If I set everything to lowest I get 56FPS in the main menu, this can't be right. Is GTX 780 really that shitty card for 1440p?

Nah this game is demanding and/or poorly optimized.

I can run 4k on EU/EW even with a 750ti.

I get the same framerates on X2 at 1080p.

V_Arnold

FX6300+ HD7770, DAMN this game does not like me.
Turned everything to minimum, scaled resolution back to 1680*1050 (from 1080p), and it is hanging around ~40fps in fights, 20~30 fps in the mission/hangar screens.

But at least the combat is perfectly playable.

Not really relevant to PC performance, but the pre-rendered cutcsenes have visual FPS drops are are jarring as hell.

Smokey

Nah this game is demanding and/or poorly optimized.

I can run 4k on EU/EW even with a 750ti.

I get the same framerates on X2 at 1080p.

Here we go. Why would it be surprising that you could run a game that came out in 2013 on PS3 and X360 very well on a Maxwell GPU @ 4k? Why would you expect the same from a PC exclusive in 2016?

Not to say improvements can't be made, I'm sure they'll address some things in the future..

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Here we go. Why would it be surprising that you could run a game that came out in 2013 on PS3 and X360 very well on a Maxwell GPU @ 4k? Why would you expect the same from a PC exclusive in 2016?

Not to say improvements can't be made, I'm sure they'll address some things in the future..

The quality difference does not justify the performance difference IMO. So yeah, hopefully they work on optimization.

Echoplx

Because this game barely looks better than the original.

Kudo

The expanded destruction is a big difference. It's not a trivial updrade.

I'm having shitty frame rate in the main menu, had nothing to do with destruction.
Only thing this game is currently doing is destroying my mind with bad performance. I guess I was naive to expect playable 60fps with GTX 780 at 1440p.

Guess I'll be playing this in 1080p, never used it cause it always messed up with the monitors gamma but googling around solved that, looks like Nvidia Drivers set 1080p automatically to "Limited" Output Dynamic Range so just had to change that and it looks good now.

This sorcery works?

The only problem with this method is that you have to have double the space of the game available on your SSD initially (which can be a problem for those with small SSDs). Because Steam will check to make sure you have the full amount of free space for the game available before file verification even though you aren't going to need to download anything.

If you copy and paste the AppID files instead then you don't have to bother with it.

Teletraan1

Banned
Shame this doesn't seem to be running too hot for a lot of people even with much better GPUs than I have on modest settings. I might skip this if it is running like a dog. My lowly 670 is not going to be able to handle this seemingly poorly optimized game.

Qblivion

What are the desktop equivalents of the i7 6700HQ and GTX 965M? I've not seen any good benchmark sites that have my hardware and compare to desktop hardware.

Top Bottom