• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Yea running pretty ass on max settings on a 970. What's recommended settings for a 970? AA lower and other stuff? It looks pretty good, but it shouldn't be this heavy should it.. I ran Witcher 3 better on max settings. Didn't try to change anything yet.

i7-4770k processor
16GB RAM
Samsung SSD
Windows 7

You didn't run Witcher 3 maxed out on a 970 at 60 fps, that's for sure.

Anyway, don't use MSAA. FXAA or no AA are your only realistic options for a 970. I get 60+ fps so far (only done two tutorial missions) with my overclocked 970 with FXAA, medium shadow quality, tile AO, static decals. DOF is off. Other than that it's all high, iirc. That's at 1080 btw. The game looks quite nice, imo. Definitely a clear improvement over the first game.

Oh, and the Steam Controller is great with this game. I can strongly recommend it.

So... no 60fps with a single 980ti at 4k?...

Humm... I guess I should settle with 30fps then... I really cant go back to 1080p now.

Can any current gen AAA game run at 4k at 60 fps with a 980ti?

I can't think of any. Seems like an unreasonable thing to expect.

Anyway, with hardware equivalent to the minimum specs, can you do 1080p low/medium quality at 60 fps? Or maybe this is an unreasonable expectation as well.

It's of course still playable without major problems, I just think that the performance is really bad even considering that the 7870 isn't exactly a new card... I mean games like Witcher 3 or FarCry 4 run smoother with more demanding graphic settings on this setup... That just seems kinda wrong

Do you think I should still pick it up and wait for performance to get better?

Ragona

Its about time DirectX12 kicks in. All of the games Ive been looking forward to play on PC (Fallout 4, Tomb Raider and now this) seem to have a steep jump in hardware requirements to run properly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So, MSAA and DoF off seem to be the biggesr offenders?

Just so I know what to set off the bat when I get home

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bokeh, MSAA, and SSAO are the big performance-killers. FXAA is cheap.

No I meant use FXAA and turn DoF off when I boot it up lol. I worded it poorly

Question: I just bought the game because I wanted the extra cosmetic items. Without thinking I hit the pre-load option for the game. Now the game is released in 2 mins, and my download is going to take about 1 hr and 30 mins. Is anything funky going to happen when the game is offically released, or is it all the same code anyways?

Erudite

Running at ~42 with depth of field set to Bokeh in Chicago, ~90 with it on Simple/Off

Wow. Seriously?

Not that I'm doubting you, but DOF is usually relatively cheap.
Saw this post and decided to see what would happen if I made this tweak, and my FPS went from 30 to 60 in the title screen. I'll see how much smoother the game feels now and report back.

My machine: i5 2500K @ 4.3 GHZ / 8gb Ram / Stock Asus 980 Ti / 2560x1440

Edit: Doesn't hold a solid 60 fps with everything else at Max and FXAA, but it feels noticably smoother than before.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yeah that works but you don't even need to do that. You can just copy the files and move the App ID file (or something like that, I always have to google it). Restart Steam and it will auto-detect the new location and update accordingly.

Does someone know how to perform this process? I moved the game to my SSD and would like to redirect Steam to it. I would just click install and it would find my existing files, but Steam doesn't think I have enough room on my SSD. How to I change the path that Steam looks for the game?

23qwerty

just use a symlink it's 10000x easier.

I wouldn't say it's easier, my method is as easy as it gets, but in some cases a symlink might be better like in this case:

Does someone know how to perform this process? I moved the game to my SSD and would like to redirect Steam to it. I would just click install and it would find my existing files, but Steam doesn't think I have enough room on my SSD. How to I change the path that Steam looks for the game?

npa189

Steam needs to do something about unpacking. not even going to screw with AA, my 970 already dies at my native res anyway, the big pascal cards need to come out already.

Rewind

barely getting 60 fps in the tutorial with a 760, mix of medium and low. Hope they add SLI support soon and fix the performance issues, this game obviously needed more time in the oven. I also can't tell if gsync is working because it feels so choppy.

Akronis

I wouldn't say it's easier, my method is as easy as it gets, but in some cases a symlink might be better like in this case:

Having steam re-verify takes way longer than just moving it and symlinking it. It takes roughly 10 seconds vs. Steam having to rediscover everything.

barely getting 60 fps in the tutorial with a 760, mix of medium and low. Hope they add SLI support soon and fix the performance issues, this game obviously needed more time in the oven. I also can't tell if gsync is working because it feels so choppy.
Running nicely on my R9 390.

Weebos

Banned
I can't select 1080 when looking at resolutions for the game, any idea why that might be?

My screen is 1080, I double checked.

EDIT: Fixed it with the NVIDIA panel, weird.

Running nicely on my R9 390.

Yeah it's running great with mine also, except the fact that when my units move fast I see lines, almost like the picture is trying to catch up? Is this what screen tearing is? Sorry If my explaination isn't great.

Edit: I've noticed it with a few other games, and I'm new to p.C gaming. What can I do to fix this?

Edit2: maybe it's because I turned off v-sync?

Spinifex

Yeah it's running great with mine also, except the fact that when my units move fast I see lines, almost like the picture is trying to catch up? Is this what screen tearing is? Sorry If my explaination isn't great.

Edit: I've noticed it with a few other games, and I'm new to p.C gaming. What can I do to fix this?

Edit2: maybe it's because I turned off v-sync?

Yes, that's what screen tearing is and yes it's the worst shit ever.

You want to enable Vsync.

Salsa

It's gonna run like shit no matter what hardware you have if that makes you feel any better.

launched the game

ran like shit

turns out it was locked at 30? guess its that kinda vsync

unlocked runs fine

disabled and enabled Vsync and now its at 60fps

but card sounds like its DYING

Spinifex

I was looking into g-sync, but when I looked on ncix the cheapest monitor supporting it is around 500$. Is it worth part of my tax return for a g-sync monitor?

If you have a 390 you'd want a Freesync screen, which can be cheaper.

Probably hold off for the time being, I feel nVidia supporting VESA Adaptive-Sync may not be far off.

Anyone running on an R9 290?

290x here. Running mostly high setting, but with fxaa and shadows turned down one notch. Most of the time it looks and feels fine, but there's definitely a lack of smoothness, particularly when panning around the map. (Moving between the street and a building for instance.) Going to turn DOF down and a few other adjustments to see if I can make it smoother.

I don't know. I like the graphics on the game, but a lot of these effects must be lost on me as it just doesn't look like it should be pushing this card.

If you have a 390 you'd want a Freesync screen, which can be cheaper.

Probably hold off for the time being, I feel nVidia supporting VESA Adaptive-Sync may not be far off.

I kinda cheaped out on my monitor when I built this computer, 21 inch benq that was around 170$ Canadian. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade anyways I'd think. And what exactly is VESA adaptive-sync?

Should be this method:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3288436

This method is a bit longer than the previous one but it has a higher success rate, and it works 90% of the times.

1) Go to your STEAMAPPS folder, usually located somewhere like
Quote:
X:\Steam\SteamApps\common
2) Locate the game you want to move (they have quite obvious names), e.g. you'll find Borderlands 2 in the "Borderlands 2" folder and copy it.
3) Paste the folder you copied it in the the new SteamApps\common folder on the new drive.
4) Now you have to discover the APPID of the game you want to move. Open Steam website:
Quote:
http://store.steampowered.com/
5) Search for the game you want to move and open its page, for instance, Borderlands2 page woudl be:
Quote:
http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/49520/
6) Open your original STEAMAPPS folder:
Quote:
X:\Steam\SteamApps\
7) Look for the AppManifest file related to the game you want to move, which in this case would be:
Quote:
AppManifest_49520.ACF
8) Copy and paste the file to your new SteamApps folder.
9) Open Steam, check the library and find the game, which will be greyed out, press Install.
10) If you are lucky Steam will be "Discovering existing files" and the game will end up working without anything to download.

Note:
Sometimes using the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" may save you a download if the other methods do not work.

Spinifex

I kinda cheaped out on my monitor when I built this computer, 21 inch benq that was around 170$ Canadian. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade anyways I'd think. And what exactly is VESA adaptive-sync?

VESA Adaptive-Sync is the open standard that AMD (and Intel at some point) use. AMD brands it as 'Freesync'. Radeon cards work with Freesync monitors.

G-Sync is the technology that nVidia uses and will only work with nVidia cards / G-Sync monitors.

VESA Adaptive-Sync is the open standard that AMD (and Intel at some point) use. AMD brands it as 'Freesync'. Radeon cards work with Freesync monitors.

G-Sync is the technology that nVidia uses and will only work with nVidia cards / G-Sync monitors.

http://m.ncix.com/products/reviews/108628

I found this monitor, sorry for going off topic. Last question and thanks for the help. Can my video card handle higher resolutions then 1080p? Kinda a waste to buy this monitor if not.

Salsa

well ok

performance IS disappointing

game runs okay

not smooth. between 50 and 60 with ocassional dips to the 40s

this is with effects turned down and some settings on normal / high rather than max

my biggest issue tho is that ocassionally the fans in my card sound like it's about to fucking lift off

:/

edit: specs

680 2gigs
8gigs of ram
i5 2500k at 4.4ghz

JJD

I gotta say the game is surprisingly playable on my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina with custom settings at 1080p.

The game is pretty smooth on gameplay, except on action cam were it can get a little janky (frankly the game seems more janky than EU IMO, I don't really know why. Must be some performance issue on my end).

I was expecting much worse. That said I don't think the game looks good.

I think I'll buy a Steam Controller to play this on the TV, I'm already thinking of buying a gaming PC when the next gen GPUs drops, might as well grab the controller now.

Salsa

I think I'll buy a Steam Controller to play this on the TV, I'm already thinking of buying a gaming PC when the next gen GPUs drops, might as well grab the controller now.

this whole performance thing would be easier to deal with if the game included gamepad support on launch and I could play it on TV chillin from bed

im bummed

Top Bottom