• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Diancecht

Played for couple of hours, solid 60 with some odd drops to 56-57 here and there. Settings are all cranked up, AA is set to FXAA at 1080p.

980TI
i7 6700K
8 GB RAM

Lister

Banned
I'm playing with everything maxed out at 1440p, except AA which is at FXAA and getting 40+ FPS everywhere, with the only stuttering issue I'm encountering being in some of the cutscenes right after a load, right when I'm flying back in after a mission.

Nothing that is affecting my enjoyment of the game.

Specs:

i5 4690k @ 4.3 Ghz
GTX 780ti 3GB with slight factory OC
16 Gigs of RAM
Windows 10

I'm running in border-less window mode with no ingame vsync @ 1440p.

GravyButt

How do you think I would fair at 1080p? Not looking for any fancy settings or anything crazy but just a decent experience. Heres my setup.

i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8gb ram
win 10
radeon 7950 3gb

red731

How do you think I would fair at 1080p? Not looking for any fancy settings or anything crazy but just a decent experience. Heres my setup.

i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8gb ram
win 10
radeon 7950 3gb

I have same cpu albeit k version OCd at 4.4
16GB ram
Win 7 64
7970 3GB
game is on SSD

I am running the game on max locked to 30fps (FXAA or SMAA injected, no MSAA).
But without the lock, I need to lower some settings - mainly decal, shadows, screen space reflection, bokeh and having AA on FXAA or off.

You will be fine, but they will still need to fix the performance...

edit: with the right setting, you can even yeld 60fps

GravyButt

I have same cpu albeit k version OCd at 4.4
16GB ram
Win 7 64
7970 3GB
game is on SSD

I am running the game on max locked to 30fps (FXAA or SMAA injected, no MSAA).
But without the lock, I need to lower some settings - mainly decal, shadows, screen space reflection, bokeh and having AA on FXAA or off.

You will be fine, but they will still need to fix the performance...

edit: with the right setting, you can even yeld 60fps
perfect thanks man!!

Itachi87

Man this game is brutal on Commander difficulty. How much more difficult is Legends?

OOps wrong thread. Ignore me guys.

Can you summarize what exactly this modification does?
Basically it tweaks UE3's settings so that it streams textures better, better uses multithreaded shader stuff, and ups the minimum/maximum frame rates, along with some MIP stuff. The result is that the game runs smoother.

Basically it tweaks UE3's settings so that it streams textures better, better uses multithreaded shader stuff, and ups the minimum/maximum frame rates, along with some MIP stuff. The result is that the game runs smoother.

Dig - I've got a 980ti, so I'll test this out.

EDIT: i7 4790k, 980ti, with everything on except AA at FXAA, I am maintaining 60FPS in the avenger, mission load and Geoscape now. Hope it wasn't a placebo!

EDIT2: Skyranger mission loading is still a disaster (just while loading - might be hard drive, ssd users weigh in?), frequently drops ~15 and rebounds to the high 50s

EDIT3: First terror mission still drops frequently, even with SSAO to file and DOF to Simple. Hmm.

I followed a Steam guide to modify the BaseEngine.ini for better performance, which seems to be working, so I decided to share the modded file:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b98zbu11cus89b/BaseEngine.rar

Note: this is optimized for a 4 core CPU and a GPU that can spare 1GB of VRAM. I included instructions on how to tweak the file to fit your hardware config.

I don't know if it's a placebo or not but this tweak rock. Averaging 80 fps now on a 980 with fxaa.

epmode

EDIT2: Skyranger mission loading is still a disaster (just while loading - might be hard drive, ssd users weigh in?), frequently drops ~15 and rebounds to the high 50s

Performance issues in the Skyranger are almost certainly related to loading. It's building the procedural level in the background so your system is doing far more than it ever did during the Enemy Unknown/Within Skyranger scenes.

NIN90

Quoting myself from the other thread
I'm having a weird bug in the tutorial mission.
It's like the scripting is severely delayed. Once my guy moves to the predetermined position, I have to wait like a minute before the pop-up for the next move appears. I can't do anything in between except scrolling around on the map.
Same thing when my turn ended. Had to wait forever for the cutscene to start.
Already restarted the game once but no dice.

Getting about 70 FPS here and I'm running on an SSD so I don't think it's my hardware.

This issue continues into the base layer of the game and from what I hear regular missions are also affected. Having to wait for 60+ seconds between EVERY action is getting a bit irritating.

fuck this shit

Performance issues in the Skyranger are almost certainly related to loading. It's building the procedural level in the background so your system is doing far more than it ever did during the Enemy Unknown/Within Skyranger scenes.

Same thing happens on the Skyranger back from a mission, it must be working gun less to to do that right?

Not a huge deal. It's not like I do anything non those screens but read stats.

My only hope of playing this is my MBP (native, not bootcamp). Please don't laugh at my futility.

Late '13, 13" i5 2.6 with (grrr) Intel Iris 1536mb. 8gb Ram.

Anyone tried it? I'll be happy with a smooth 30fps on low but I doubt I can even get that. I don't want to buy this if it runs like a slideshow.

Pretty sure the game has some sort of memory leak issue. When I start it up, I might get around 60fps on the avenger. Reload a save, or come back from a mission, and it'll probably be down to 45-50fps.

Stevey

I seem to be getting worse performance today-30-40fps in missions, compared to yesterday-60-80fps in missions.
Sucks there's no Nvidia Driver for it.
Any word on that?
Where's AndyB when you need him? V:

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This game seriously runs like a dog for me, even with FXAA and simple DOF and high shadows. I'm running a 980 Ti. I don't get it. Is it extremely CPU bound or something? (Got a 4460, needs an upgrade at some point I know).

I'm at a complete loss.

This game seriously runs like a dog for me, even with FXAA and simple DOF and high shadows. I'm running a 980 Ti. I don't get it. Is it extremely CPU bound or something? (Got a 4460, needs an upgrade at some point I know).

I'm at a complete loss.
No, they just set the UE3 settings stupid low and use fuck tons of particle effects, which tank the performance.

A small tweak you can try:
Go to Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config, open XComEngine.ini and search for AllowD3D11. Set it to true.

Not sure if it even does anything but it's worth trying.

Crackbone

Well I have no idea what's going on now.

Had not one issue running this the last couple of days. Now?

Crashes before first mission. Crashes my ironman save. Just played until the wee hours of the morning.

I tried to verify my game files with steam. After which same problem.

Nothing's different today from yesterday. I'm at a complete loss.

Any ideas?

Edit : Specs
i5 2500k
8 GB Ram
970 GTX
Win 10
SSD is the install drive

I'm going to download the whole 25GB package again and see what happens since I have the slightest what's going on.

I'm playing on a gtx 670 with 16 gigs of ram and an i7. Almost all my settings are high with the exception of textures I have set to max. Looking and running great so far.

Stevey

I seem to be getting worse performance today-30-40fps in missions, compared to yesterday-60-80fps in missions.
Sucks there's no Nvidia Driver for it.
Any word on that?
Where's AndyB when you need him? V:

OK, that was an easy fix, the graphics options had changed on their own.
Worth checking out if youre getting worse performance than before.

This is so bad

xcombadlortz.jpg

xccombad2z6o07.jpg

Oh and the reason the overlay text is so large is because I usually play games with a 4k downsample so it needs the scale adjustment to be readable.

Firebrand

Is there a known memory leak in the game? With 8 GB RAM and a swap currently at 10GB (managed by Windows IIRC), I'm getting popups for "out of memory" in Windows while the game is still running (but chugging) for the first time ever.

i have max settings on but the game looks kind of like shit anyway,

for me it looks worse than xcom ew, especially grass and trees look like shit

is this due to the graphics design or some graphic glitch?

edit: I have now been playing for about half an hour and I just woke up as the commander and am in my room I guess? Looking at furniture and pillows, it kind of feels like a lot of colours are missing. Like an old SVGA game.

Stevey

Is there a known memory leak in the game? With 8 GB RAM and a swap currently at 10GB (managed by Windows IIRC), I'm getting popups for "out of memory" in Windows while the game is still running (but chugging) for the first time ever.

Not had that error, but I have 16GB RAM

This is ridiculous.

I got sick of the framerate randomly flicking between 15-50 fps in seemingly consistent scenes, so I set the game to Minimum and dropped down from my native 1080p to 1366x768. It looks worse than EU/EW except in the detail of the modeling now.

It still randomly hits 15 for no reason. And then flies back up to 50 half a minute later.

Am I insane for thinking I should be able to get more consistent performance than that on this laptop?

i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
GeForce GTX 780M
8GB RAM
SSD

After playing an hour I will stop playing and wait for a month or two until they patch it properly.
This does not run as good as it should be. Also too many small issues that irritate me considering controls, ui and gameplay.

Lister

Banned
This is ridiculous.

I got sick of the framerate randomly flicking between 15-50 fps in seemingly consistent scenes, so I set the game to Minimum and dropped down from my native 1080p to 1366x768. It looks worse than EU/EW except in the detail of the modeling now.

It still randomly hits 15 for no reason. And then flies back up to 50 half a minute later.

Am I insane for thinking I should be able to get more consistent performance than that on this laptop?

i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
GeForce GTX 780M
8GB RAM
SSD

have you monitored GPU utilization and temps? That almost sounds like your GPU is reaching TDP and clocking down.

AA disabled, Tile AO, All Decals, All Shadows, Medium Shadow Quality, High Texture detail, 8x AF, Depth of Field disabled, Draw Distance low, Screen Space Reflections Disabled, everything else enabled.
Lowering Shadow Quality from Medium to Low also adds a decent chunk of FPS. The difference in fidelity is rather minimal unless all you do is constantly staring at shadows. Going from All Shadows to static shadows is a real immersion killer though, you soldiers not having shadows really makes them stick out in a bad way.

FXAA is a must though IMO, even if it is injected, borders and edges really stick out all over the place even when zoomed out, especially in urban maps.

Crackbone

Well I completely reinstalled after validating and deleting the game cache and I'm still having the same problem.

Working fine for two days, no changes at all on my end, now it crashes every single time at the beginning of a mission.

Crashes so hard I cannot get it close via task manager and I have to reboot.

This is one of the weirder PC gaming issues I've had in a long time. It just doesn't make any sense.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
N8pJmPN.jpg

Does anyone else get these two weird rectangular checkerboard patterns on the top left and right of their screen?
There are the whole time.
Don't know if it's just a glitch or if there's something wrong with my GPU. Temps are all fine.

s_mirage

http://i.imgur.com/N8pJmPN.jpg

Does anyone else get these two weird rectangular checkerboard patterns on the top left and right of their screen?
Don't know if it's just a glitch or if there's something wrong with my GPU. Temps are all fine.

No problems here. At a guess, that's either a driver bug for your particular card, or there could be a problem with your VRAM.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Still no fix for the cover icons disapearing when you enable SLI by using force alternate 2 in the control panel?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
No problems here. At a guess, that's either a driver bug for your particular card, or there could be a problem with your VRAM.

Thanks, I'll try updating my driver.
Is there some sort of test or something where I can check if my VRAM is faulty?

If you're getting constant framedrops, use MSI Afterburner to monitor your GPU usage in-game. I'm constantly getting drops to 35-40fps (sometimes even to sub-30fps), and the game's only using around 50% of my GPU. To put it in perspective, games like Witcher 3 and GTA V maintain 60fps unless GPU utilization is pushed to 99%. Only in that scenario do I then get noticeable performance drops.

Coketruck

N8pJmPN.jpg

I had that happen when I set AA to FXAA. It went away when I bumped it up to MSAA2 (the highest I can go on that particular setting before my framerate takes a huge hit).

Top Bottom