• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

The Lamp

How many hours in?

I'm in Chapter
with 14 hours in. The exploration has made my playthrough really long. I have to check everywhere and I still missed so much because some of the levels are so big.

One thing is for sure, the platforming level design in this one seems much better than the others.

This game. Just…incredible. Whilst it's a slow start, it's everything I wanted it to be. And I love that it's sombre, personal, full of fan flick, and appreciative of everything that has gone before. Similar to Slasher, the story is also resonating with me a lot more because in the time between the last game and this new sequel, I too have gotten married, and settled down so to speak. So in a way I can also relate, especially given I used to live a pretty crazy bachelor life back in the day.

Oh and the visuals….what the hell are they feeding them over there! Posted some screens in the screenshot thread. Apologies for any spoilers.

Dude! The screens you posted are just unreal! Are you sure this is a game and not a movie? :p
And there are some who doubt that this game is the best looking game released now (or to be released :p)

Only GOW4 can beat this !

Look at the screens nib95 posted in the screenshot thread. Juss incredible! The game as whole is superb not just the models.

From the other necrobumped thread:

In the previous tech talks, the eyelids even cast shadows on the eyeball. the iris even has reflection of the whole world and there is pupil dilation like in TLOU.

I can see what he mentioned in your screen Psychological Intellect.

The Lamp

Hi thuway how are you? You gave me shivers. What happened? You saw Uncharted 4 for PS4 Neo?

U4 doesn't even need Neo. It looks so good that I guess it could go from 30 fps to 60 fps but there's hardly anything else I could recommend in a performance upgrade for this game.

U4 doesn't even need Neo. It looks so good that I guess it could go from 30 fps to 60 fps but there's hardly anything else I could recommend in a performance upgrade for this game.

With Uncharted 4, we may have reached heavens but there are different levels in heaven. PS4 Neo version will on top levels of heaven. :D
No one can refuse that !

thuway

Hi thuway how are you? You gave me shivers. What happened? You saw Uncharted 4 for PS4 Neo?
I didn't know this but I actually own a PS5. The Uncharted 4 disc unlocked the DGPU and activated all slumbering 100 CU's. In fact, My neighbor's Titan x burned into flames once I hit Chapter 8.

I didn't know this but I actually own a PS5. The Uncharted 4 disc unlocked the DGPU and activated all slumbering 100 CU's. In fact, My neighbor's Titan x burned into flames once I hit Chapter 8.

Lol WTH? You are scary !

XD

Seriously, what was the treat you mentioned before that just happened?

thuway

Lol WTH? You are scary !

XD
Without hyperbole, the moment you start playing the game the visuals are such a shocking upgrade over everything we have had this generation. From a technical aspect the image quality is second to none. I literally cannot spot any aliasing. The lighting, effects, and clever use of depth of field, motion blur, and the smorgasbord of effects combined with the most detailed characters o have ever seen with an animation system thst laughs at the PS3.... I am lost for words.

Without hyperbole, the moment you start playing the game the visuals are such a shocking upgrade over everything we have had this generation. From a technical aspect the image quality is second to none. I literally cannot spot any aliasing. The lighting, effects, and clever use of depth of field, motion blur, and the smorgasbord of effects combined with the most detailed characters o have ever seen with an animation system thst laughs at the PS3.... I am lost for words.

Damn! A benchmark is set. And thinking about GOW4 that will surpass this is just beyond imaginations.

Skunkers

I read in some news after ND Talks that raindrops gather on leaves and if wind blows it scatters the droplets in the air and they can wet your face.

Edit found it: http://n4g.com/news/1750121/unchart...foliage-and-water-puddles-technology-and-more

john-lackey.gif

16 hours in and still going. When there are encounters they are the most incredibly designed areas I have seen for an action game. They need to do more with these, there needs to be different game modes using these sections.

But there are so few encounters, I feel like this easily has the least combat of any uncharted game. There is so are so many breaks. It's going to drive some nuts and other will love it.

Without question through the storytelling is at a whole new level. This is TLOU quality. This puts past uncharted games to shame. They felt like silly action movies and this feels like a masterpiece action drama. Everything has a good story, even the treasure hunt side is super detailed and well done. But this comes at the expense of intensity which this game lacks for huge chunks at a time.

And yeah the graphics are something else. Mind blowing. This is like PS5. Nothing can prepare you for these visuals. No screen shots can do it justice.

zsynqx

16 hours in and still going. When there are encounters they are the most incredibly designed areas I have seen for an action game. They need to do more with these, there needs to be different game modes using these sections.

But there are so few encounters, I feel like this easily has the least combat of any uncharted game. There is so are so many breaks. It's going to drive some nuts and other will love it.

Without question through the storytelling is at a whole new level. This is TLOU quality. This puts past uncharted games to shame. They felt like silly action movies and this feels like a masterpiece action drama. Everything has a good story, even the treasure hunt side is super detailed and well done. But this comes at the expense of intensity which this game lacks for huge chunks at a time.

Sounds like they took the ludonarrative dissonance thing to heart. Maybe went a little too far.

aravuus

I'm sorry but the story,characters and dialogue SHITS on U1-3.

omg this keeps getting better.

I've NEVER been engaged by an Uncharted story but man, man man

I want to hear more impressions like this. I've recently played U2 and U3 and while the characters are fun, the actual stories aren't very interesting at all, more like just vehicles to throw cool set pieces at you.

Hope I'll like U4's story more, too.

e: Uncharted combat has been serviceable so far too and I'm not a big TPS guy, so there being much less combat sounds great to me

Sounds like they took the ludonarrative dissonance thing to heart. Maybe went a little too far.

Example I played about two hours just now, I had two battles in that time. AMAZING battles, these environments and what you can do put past uncharted games to shame. But only two in two hours, I spend like an hour and a half just exploring, watching cutscenes. Yes part of it is that I like to check everything so I go slow but even if you push through you will be going through big stretches of basically moving forward.

Loudninja

And yeah the graphics are something else. Mind blowing. This is like PS5. Nothing can prepare you for these visuals. No screen shots can do it justice.
Does not seem like it going by Koatku review.

Example I played about two hours just now, I had two battles in that time. AMAZING battles, these environments and what you can do put past uncharted games to shame. But only two in two hours, I spend like an hour and a half just exploring, watching cutscenes. Yes part of it is that I like to check everything so I go slow but even if you push through you will be going through big stretches of basically moving forward.

Seem like you did a fair amount of exploring .
That is something i never do during the first play thru .
Going to be interesting to see how people play and what they think of the pacing .

I think in the encounters menu I counted 30 or 31 combat moments. I always had a blast with the pace of exploring and combat. Finishing up Uncharted 2 right now and I'm like to the point of saying holy shit let me breath, stop making me fight so much. Lol

Kambing

Beat the game... ND's best yet.

This whole experience was a testament to what video games as a medium is capable of delivering. No other form of entertainment would have been able to replicate what i just experienced, and you know what? The thought of that BLOWS my fucking mind. Basically, this game is really good guys.

The crazy part about playing A Thief's End, is that, even if it was WITHOUT kick-ass graphics, it would not have diminished my enjoyment one bit. If the game looked like a PS3 game, it would continue to sit as one of my all time favorites. The marriage of story, gameplay, performance, sound my GOD the sound mixing and level design was just perfect. But holy shit guys, this game not only manage the "game" part REALLY fucking well, a benchmark in its genre, much like MGSV... the graphics are the best you will see yet out of video games, console or PC, PERIOD. I game in 4k on PC and part of me can't comprehend how the hell the image quality is so clean, coming out of this PS4.

No complaints aside that starting on hard, like i previously mentioned, forced me to change my usual UC playstyle.
There were also minor performance dips when there was a lot of smoke. But all this is really negligible stuf.

I've had a few "next gen" moments this gen, but this game was on a completely different level. Can't wait until more of you get your copies in. This game was worth the wait guys.

xorx

Banned
Beat the game... ND's best yet.

This whole experience was a testament to what video games as a medium is capable of delivering. No other form of entertainment would have been able to replicate what i just experienced, and you know what? The thought of that BLOWS my fucking mind. Basically, this game is really good guys.

The crazy part about playing A Thief's End, is that, even if it was WITHOUT kick-ass graphics, it would not have diminished my enjoyment one bit. If the game looked like a PS3 game, it would continue to sit as one of my all time favorites. The marriage of story, gameplay, performance, sound my GOD the sound mixing and level design was just perfect. But holy shit guys, this game not only manage the "game" part REALLY fucking well, a benchmark in its genre, much like MGSV... the graphics are the best you will see yet out of video games, console or PC, PERIOD. I game in 4k on PC and part of me can't comprehend how the hell the image quality is so clean, coming out of this PS4.

No complaints aside that starting on hard, like i previously mentioned, forced me to change my usual UC playstyle.
There were also minor performance dips when there was a lot of smoke. But all this is really negligible stuf.

I've had a few "next gen" moments this gen, but this game was on a completely different level. Can't wait until more of you get your copies in. This game was worth the wait guys.

For context, how would you rate the other ND games?

Great write up though.

It seems weird no one posted screens from the Model Viewer yet. They can post as many screens as they want it isn't a spoiler at all since all are just models and we know the characters.

man, the powerful weapons feel fucking powerful.

Also, there are armored enemies like in past uncharteds but they are far less annoying and far more satisfying when you kill them. the visual feedback is amazing.

also, maybe it's because I'm playing on hard, but you have to move around in g=cobat more than ever before. Cover crumbles very quickly, enemis climb, flank and are aggressive.

I find myself constantly running around the place.

To piggy back on Wesker, the combat areas are astounding, they are large and filled with traversal options ever. It's actually kind of overwhelming at times, seeing just how well designed and how intense some of these encounters are.

Also no waves after wave of enemies bullshit, either.

it's truly great.

Also, there are armored enemies like in past uncharteds but they are far less annoying and far more satisfying when you kill them. the visual feedback is amazing.

also, maybe it's because I'm playing on hard, but you have to move around in g=cobat more than ever before. Cover crumbles very quickly, enemis climb, flank and are aggressive.

To piggy back on Wesker, the combat areas are astounding, they are large and filled with traversal options ever. It's actually kind of overwhelming at times, seeing just how well designed and how intense some of these encounters are.

it's truly great.

Can you please post screens from the model viewer? Any character.

aravuus

So, how do you unlock the
slow motion/bullet time
bonus thing? Can it be used on the first playthrough or do you have to wait until you've finished the game once? There's been some pretty spectacular deaths in the trailers,
can't wait to watch em in slow motion

e: not sure if this is the right thread for the question, though, so do point me in the right direction if not

Does the game look better than The Order and Battlefront?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
wait. you are a RE4 guy. Are you saying this game has better encounters than RE4 or any Bayonneta or DMC game?

Or are you just comparing shooters?

cordy

Banned
Can anyone explain how the gameplay's evolved from UC3? I haven't been reading many previews so I wonder. People say this is the best gameplay of the series so I'm curious. If it's major spoilers you can leave it out. It's all good.

slothbeing

Neo Member

it's truly great.

just wondering. Can you use rope mechanic to kill the amoured guys faster?

just wondering. Can you use rope mechanic to kill the amoured guys faster?
haven't tried that , they're pretty deadly, especially the ones with shotguns.

what is cool though, is if you want to stealth kill an armored dude, Nate has to struggle to strip him of his head gear first before he can snap his neck.

but yeah, killing armored dudes is so satisfying. Watching the armor strip off as you light them up with an AK is great to watch.

idonteven

Can anyone explain how the gameplay's evolved from UC3? I haven't been reading many previews so I wonder. People say this is the best gameplay of the series so I'm curious. If it's major spoilers you can leave it out. It's all good.

one of the biggest things i liked is that the enemies are already in the area most of the time,done with the insane amount of waves you got in the past games.combat is a lot of fun now

wait. you are a RE4 guy. Are you saying this game has better encounters than RE4 or any Bayonneta or DMC game?

Or are you just comparing shooters?

Well it doesn't have the variety of a RE4. DMC is a hack and slash game, the environment design doesn't matter much. I am speaking in terms of level design, the areas are so well designed to allow all kinds of moments and tactics. It's better than MGSV bases.

pixelation

I like this... a lot...

Top Bottom