• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |Mafia OT| The Night Brims With Defiled Scum

roytheone

Speaking of, 24 players, 4 are newbies, so that's 1/6th of the playerbase.

With 24 players were looking at... 4? 5 scum?

I think a game like this will have at least one neutral so I'm guessing 6-7 non-town players.

4 is to low. I would guess 5 or 6, depending on things like how many pr we and they have, how many neutrals etc.

Camjo-Z

you're completely wrong about everything you believe but you're less likely to be scum than Haly so maybe take your faux offended tone, realize you're not going to convince anyone on the subject of no-lynching, and try to read people, unless yknow you don't think that ever helps.

Not offended, just annoyed at how many people outright state how shallow their reasons for lynching are and yet are still for it. As for being "completely wrong about everything", I might add that pre-Gafia I mostly played on epicmafia where games start at Night 1. I don't advocate that we do that here (it only works there because games are so short and easy to jump into, thus someone dying before getting to play is no big deal), but it's proof that even completely skipping D1 wouldn't be some horrible tragedy.

Camjo - how would you feel about No Lynch if everyone took that approach, we all voted and the day ended with no discussion?... I don't like actually arguing for No Lynch because what you are basically saying is "I want everyone else to talk and commit to votes without doing it myself."

I'd entertain this argument except... no one is doing either of those things. Take your slippery slope shenanigans and begone, knave!

Palmer_v1

Not offended, just annoyed at how many people outright state how shallow their reasons for lynching are and yet are still for it. As for being "completely wrong about everything", I might add that pre-Gafia I mostly played on epicmafia where games start at Night 1. I don't advocate that we do that here (it only works there because games are so short and easy to jump into, thus someone dying before getting to play is no big deal), but it's proof that even completely skipping D1 wouldn't be some horrible tragedy.

I'd entertain this argument except... no one is doing either of those things. Take your slippery slope shenanigans and begone, knave!

I'm a fan of the idea of Night starts, cause we usually start games in tandem, and N1 deaths can easily replace into the other games.

roytheone

I'm a fan of the idea of Night starts, cause we usually start games in tandem, and N1 deaths can easily replace into the other games.

I liked the idea of the night 1 kill being a poison kill (that gets publicly announced at the start of day 1) and that they only die on night 2 or 3.

Just wanted to push you some more. I'd like to start a new bandwagon.

Vote: Freakinchair

Gonna agree with everything that's been said about him.

Zipped, want to join?

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm going to keep my vote here for a while.

Palmer I completely agree on day 1, I hate that this is four days long, I hate that it's going to take the whole day AND be a toss up anyway. Shortened day 1s is my #1 improvement from last season that I wish was back this season.

Huh, something I just remembered : the only game I can think of that had random, mid day fluff was night vale, and I think retro specifically mentioned it was only fluff there? So since that wasn't specifically told here, I think the tourist info isn't just fluff.

But it also didn't have a red title. Harry Potter had the newspaper, which was a player day move. I also have not played bb so if there's a tourist agency in the game, I don't know anything about it.

squidyj

True. Could be a conversation worth having in the main thread at some point.

I liked the idea of the night 1 kill being a poison kill (that gets publicly announced at the start of day 1) and that they only die on night 2 or 3.

what the fuck are you people doing?

Side note
If my name is too long to type, you may freely call me any nickname from the following list

Wee
Mad
Weemad
Eldest One (pending replacement)
That Weird Psychopath

Whereas I do not accept or understand variations of the name Arthur.

Carry on, thanks.

roytheone

Side note
If my name is too long to type, you may freely call me any nickname from the following list

Wee
Mad
Weemad
That Weird Psychopath

Carry on, thanks.

Can I call you "that Strange psychopath"?

roytheone

Yours. Obviously yours.

I assume you mean a scum Haly tries to make us think that there are less scum than there actually are, hoping to catch us in a surprise lylo? Honestly, I can see that. We tried to do that in HP and gafia 2 scum also did that there. If you have a bigger then expected scum team, that's a good tactic.

trying to manipulate what exactly?

also Palmer, would you care to pass comment on anything or anyone in particular or are we just planning on sitting back and chatting generalities for the time being?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ah, I see.

No, I wanted to run the numbers on the likelihood of one of the newbies being non-town, which will probably show through over the course of the game. If anyone is curious, given 7 non-town, then there's a 33% chance one of the newbies is one of them.

Kevyt

Side note

Wee
Mad
Weemad
That Weird Psychopath

Carry on, thanks.

Why the eldest one?

Ah, I see.

No, I wanted to run the numbers on the likelihood of one of the newbies being non-town, which will probably show through over the course of the game. If anyone is curious, given 7 non-town, then there's a 33% chance one of the newbies is one of them.

I had considered the idea of killing off the noobs, assuming that one person in any group of 4 was likely non town. But I dismissed it, partly because of the unkindness of killing noobs so early.

Any random ish grouping of players can yield the same discussion, though.

Why the eldest one?

Unrelated to this particular game, meta. Too off topic to matter.

Haly

I forgot all my probability classes and my number is totally off, disregard.

Mazre

I'm having the strongest gut reaction to Kristoffer and EzekelRage so far. Kristoffer seems to be kind of randomly firing in all directions. Ezekel seems more reserved than usual.

Haly

Any random ish grouping of players can yield the same discussion, though.

Yes, but only one grouping of the players here is more likely to slip up due to unfamiliarity with the game. I was looking to see how much extra attention I should give to certain players over others.

However, I realize that just because someone is new to GAFia doesn't mean they're new to mafia so I've given up on the idea.

Haly

Just turbo me and end this farce of a day.

Haly

Everyone's favorite filler post, the almighty list of reads!

Scummy
Camjo-Z: pretyped thing
flatearthpandas: bandwagon
Zippedpinhead: In cahoots with Kristoffer, also wants to lynch Hobohodo
Kristoffer: In cahoots with Zip, also bandwagoner
Weemadarthur: Weak accusations on me

Eh
roytheone: Posted but hasn't voted
Kalor: Coasting
Hobohodo: Coasting
Ri'Orius: Coasting
Freakinchair: Not enough to go on
johnnyquicknives: Not enough to go on

Not Scummy
Verelios: New
Nudull: New
MickD: New
MagnumBoy20xx: Quiet
EzekelRAGE: Quiet
Rynam: Hanging back
Never Forever: Weakly voted Seath
Mazre: Time constrained
Palmer_v1: Trying to weasel out of day 1 but I'm just as frustrated as he is
squidyj: Hates me :< (as I write this he has voted Ri'orius so maybe I have a chance???)

Unreadable
Seath: Seath
II-Vanguard-II: New and hasn't posted

But haly, what's the difference between "coasting", "not enough to go on" and "quiet"?
I'm glad you asked strawman player. "Coasting" means being active enough to look active without actually doing anything. "Not enough to go on" is code for "I'm drawing a blank on this guy". "Quiet" means they made some reasonable posts and is waiting to see how things play out before saying anything else. Just gut feelings my friends, no offense intended.

Just wanted to push you some more. I'd like to start a new bandwagon.

Gonna agree with everything that's been said about him.

Zipped, want to join?

Did I respond to this already? I'm keeping my vote on Hobohodo. I really do think he is scum.

Us? GAFia Turbo? I can count the days we have turbo'd on one hand... Sorry you feel today is a farce, gotta have fun with what you got. And what we have is two more days of nonsense (or is it?)

Wi8c90a.jpg

Kevyt

Why am I unreadable? I think I'm a very readable and forward player who's easy to deconstruct imo...

Vote: Seath

Now Hunters, go forth and hunt beastly scourge~

Kevyt

My previous game I played as scum, and my biggest fear was screwing up and eventually giving away my team mates.

Do you guys know how great it is to play as town without feeling like you have to be overly careful to not mess up?

It's amazing!

It's the best. Playing as scum is nerve wrecking to me and I think that we'll see this on some players too. ;)

So go us town! We can screw up and it's okay! :D

With the first 24 hours almost over, I feel I have a good enough grasp on enough players to place a vote:

vote: Freakinchair

I think his vote on ri'orius is pretty badly argumented and mostly based on mafia somehow being spooked by seath voting for him, which i seriously doubt is the case. It kinda feels to me he was searching for a reason to place a vote on someone that already had a vote to see if a train could be formed. He hasn't really contributed anything else except agreeing that the zipped/kris/hobo thing is weird.

In addition this Freakinchair says that there are 'a lot of people' jumping on Seath but all he actually has is one vote on him.

The first post I made, ten minutes into the game, that pointed out something blatantly wrong in a post.
I haven't criticised you as it would be repeating what has already said. You declared me scum from just five words which I typed before I went to bed. But then that's day 1 init? You gotta go with barely any info to make accusations.
Wasted a vote, silly me I forgot we only had a finite amount.

I want to see who these 'lots of people' are that jumped on Seath.

I defend you and you throw a vote on me? That's cold. If you don't notice everyone ratting on seath in the first three pages you can go have a re-read.

I'm loving this bandwagon that started on me for having suspicions about Ri'orius... who still hasn't responded yet in any meaningful way other than casting a vote at the very start.

1. He is coasting and/or laying low after throwing a vote in
2. There are people actively questioning my specific vote for him (moreso than other peoples votes)
3. A bandwagon has started against me

Even if I'm lynched today, based on posting history so far, we'll be able to get a ton of information on scum if Ri'orius turns out to be scum.

Ri'Orius

Yeah, sorry I'm not being active. I just don't have a lot to say: all this nitpicking about who seems defensive or aggressive or whatnot.

I do kinda agree with Camjo that a No Lynch might be the way to go. I recognize that information is vital and baseless lynching (and the discussion therein) is a good way to get some actual information, but at the same time with a game this complex I expect there to be a lot of stuff going on at night (or possibly during the day: the Cleric Beast post is very intriguing) that'll give us a lot of data. And yeah, I generally think that the information gained on D1 is pretty minimal. All this nitpicking and accusation-throwing: maybe y'all legitimately find it useful, but I don't.

Yeah, Nudull's "I have some thoughts [that I won't share for now]" post was weird and unhelpful, but I can't really fathom why a scum would think it's a good idea (plus he's a first timer, so I'm not going to vote for him D1 anyway). Yeah, it's sketchy for Haly to claim, but at the same time "vanilla town" really isn't much of a claim at all (as he said, it's kinda the implicit default state). Yeah, weemad has been kinda weirdly aggressive, but that's probably more of a "poke around for information" thing than a "get the sheep to bandwagon a townie" thing. Yeah, Kris's "my role PM says" line seems like a "How do you do, fellow townies"-style overcompensation, but I don't honestly expect a scum to make a mistake like that (except maybe for a complete newbie). Yeah, inactivity is a sign of scumminess, but it's also a sign of not having information to go on, which is common among the townies, while the scum are the (generally) the only people who actually have information and incentive to guide discussion at this stage in the game.

I do think Seath's enigmatic playstyle is anti-Town. Yeah, sure, funsies or whatever, but being intentionally obtuse and suspicious all the time is a useful cloak for the times when you actually roll scum. I'd support a policy lynch against him, but it looks like his antics amuse enough people that that's not going to happen.

For the sake of extra participation, I will go ahead and speculate a bit on the Cleric Beast post (I'm not huge on wild interpersonal speculation, but wild game mechanic speculation is my jam). I'm thinking we're going to progress through the various bosses over time. Cleric Beast probably doesn't do anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we hit Father G (IRL) tomorrow (or Day 2, but that seems slow) and reveal an Innocent Child. Later I'd expect the Witch of Hemwick, which I'm thinking will enable a Runesmith Caryll townie to start handing out buffs. And eventually we hit Rom and shit goes completely cray-cray.

Anyway, right now I'm gonna try this:

VOTE: No Lynch

and then

VOTE: weemadarthur

Hopefully this'll put me down under No Lynch with a strikethrough? 'Cause yeah, I want it on record that I think No Lynch is a good idea, but I don't want to deprive you all of my best guess vote. Which, of course, is pretty baseless. But his posts read scummier to me than the other vaguely suspicious behavior.

roytheone

But it also didn't have a red title. Harry Potter had the newspaper, which was a player day move. I also have not played bb so if there's a tourist agency in the game, I don't know anything about it.

In previous games, when people started to put to much thought into purely fluff related stuff, mods were very quickly to step in and clarify it was only fluff. Until that happens here, I am going to assume it is not just fluff.

Eh
roytheone: Posted but hasn't voted

giphy.gif

You even responded to the very post i placed my vote in..........

That would be the most anti town of anti town things. I disagree with camjo and think day 1 can be useful when looking back at voting behavior. But if we end up turbo'ing someone that will give us very, VERY little to work with. Even though I am anti no-lynch, I would still prefer that over an "easy" turbo on day 1.

I defend you and you throw a vote on me? That's cold. If you don't notice everyone ratting on seath in the first three pages you can go have a re-read.

I'm loving this bandwagon that started on me for having suspicions about Ri'orius... who still hasn't responded yet in any meaningful way other than casting a vote at the very start.

1. He is coasting and/or laying low after throwing a vote in
2. There are people actively questioning my specific vote for him (moreso than other peoples votes)
3. A bandwagon has started against me

Even if I'm lynched today, based on posting history so far, we'll be able to get a ton of information on scum if Ri'orius turns out to be scum.

I assume that is referencing Hobohodo and not me since you kinda bungled up the quote tags there? :)

Yeah, Nudull's "I have some thoughts [that I won't share for now]" post was weird and unhelpful, but I can't really fathom why a scum would think it's a good idea (plus he's a first timer, so I'm not going to vote for him D1 anyway). Yeah, it's sketchy for Haly to claim, but at the same time "vanilla town" really isn't much of a claim at all (as he said, it's kinda the implicit default state). Yeah, weemad has been kinda weirdly aggressive, but that's probably more of a "poke around for information" thing than a "get the sheep to bandwagon a townie" thing. Yeah, Kris's "my role PM says" line seems like a "How do you do, fellow townies"-style overcompensation, but I don't honestly expect a scum to make a mistake like that (except maybe for a complete newbie). Yeah, inactivity is a sign of scumminess, but it's also a sign of not having information to go on, which is common among the townies, while the scum are the (generally) the only people who actually have information and incentive to guide discussion at this stage in the game.

I do think Seath's enigmatic playstyle is anti-Town. Yeah, sure, funsies or whatever, but being intentionally obtuse and suspicious all the time is a useful cloak for the times when you actually roll scum. I'd support a policy lynch against him, but it looks like his antics amuse enough people that that's not going to happen.

For the sake of extra participation, I will go ahead and speculate a bit on the Cleric Beast post (I'm not huge on wild interpersonal speculation, but wild game mechanic speculation is my jam). I'm thinking we're going to progress through the various bosses over time. Cleric Beast probably doesn't do anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we hit Father G (IRL) tomorrow (or Day 2, but that seems slow) and reveal an Innocent Child. Later I'd expect the Witch of Hemwick, which I'm thinking will enable a Runesmith Caryll townie to start handing out buffs. And eventually we hit Rom and shit goes completely cray-cray.

and then

Hopefully this'll put me down under No Lynch with a strikethrough? 'Cause yeah, I want it on record that I think No Lynch is a good idea, but I don't want to deprive you all of my best guess vote. Which, of course, is pretty baseless. But his posts read scummier to me than the other vaguely suspicious behavior.

A) If you are speculating about game mechanics using the game, please keep in mind there are players here (like me!) that haven't played the game. So please explain why Cleric Best probably doesn't do anything, why Father G will reveal an innocent child, why Rom will make shit cray-cray etc. Those names mean very little to me, and looking them up on a wiki doesn't really help that much (except that i now know who the guy in my avatar is! jay!).

B) If you think no lynch is the correct option, why not vote for it? I disagree with a no-lynch being the best option, but at least camjo had the balls to stand by it and vote for it. People going: "I am ok with a no lynch but will not vote for it" screams "I am scum but don't want to put to much suspicion on me" to me. Switch your vote when it becomes clear it is not going to happen, but before that, vote for what you think is best.

On a related note: why Weemad? You say their posts read scummier to you then the other suspicious behavior. Thats quite broad, please give examples. Also, please respect the prenouns in the player list.

???

how is weemad's behaviour differentiating itself in your mind? how are you simultaneously reading it as 'probably poking for information' and then being 'scummy'?

But I will agree with this, sometimes 'lol x is just being x' is unhelpful and should be nipped in the bud because sometimes x is actually scum and coasting on being taken less seriously as a threat by everyone else

Hobohodo

I've gone back and looked from post 120 (Seath makes his vote) to post 205 (you saylots of players are jumping on Seath).

Firstly Never Forever asks Seath why he voted the way he did, when Seath replies with a gif in typical Seath fashion Never Forever puts a vote on him and asks to explain his vote once again.

Weemad then asks Seath 'if he has a plan' and that if not he should just join in scum hunting. Reads to me like an appeal for Seath to stop being so seathy, unless he has a reason for it.

There is then a short exchange between Seath Weemad and Squidy where they seem to be referring a past game?

Kriss asks Seath to vote for me, Seath won't unless he gets loads of blood echoes, squidy makes a joke about this being a scum tell.

You post that you hate to see a lot of people jumping on Seath.

Now maybe I'm missing it but really I only see one person who did that (Never Forever) maybe two at a push if we count Weemad.

RetroMG

Current vote count:

freakinchair (3)
haly 104 (132)
kristoffer 125 (155)
roytheone 284
hobohodo 296
kristoffer 298

haly (3)
weemadarthur 114
squidyj 215 (327)
flatearthpandas 234
verelios 269
kristoffer 271 (289)

ri'orius (2)
seath 120 (261)
freakinchair 205
squidyj 327

kristoffer (2)
ezekelrage 127
zippedpinhead 144 (153)
haly 229

roytheone (1)
palmer_v1 98

camjo-z (1)
squidyj 99 (215)
haly 132 (229)
mickd 231

hobohodo (1)
zippedpinhead 153
kristoffer 155 (271)
kristoffer 289 (298)

seath (1)
never forever 176 (266)
seath 331

johnnyquicknives (1)
kalor 244

rynam (1)
magnumboy20xx 250

zippedpinhead (1)
never forever 266

weemadarthur (1)
ri'orius 335

no lynch (1)
camjo-z 129
ri'orius 335 (335)

mickd (0)
camjo-z 96 (129)

ii-vanguard-ii (0)
ri'orius 128 (335)
seath 261 (331)

never forever (0)
magnumboy20xx 198 (250)

nudull (0)
hobohodo 232 (296)

The following players do not have an active vote:

II-Vanguard-II
johnnyquicknives
Mazre
Nudull
Rynam

Haly

Vanguard seems MIA from GAF in general. How long will he have to come back?

Kevyt

Yeah, sorry I'm not being active. I just don't have a lot to say: all this nitpicking about who seems defensive or aggressive or whatnot.

I do kinda agree with Camjo that a No Lynch might be the way to go. I recognize that information is vital and baseless lynching (and the discussion therein) is a good way to get some actual information, but at the same time with a game this complex I expect there to be a lot of stuff going on at night (or possibly during the day: the Cleric Beast post is very intriguing) that'll give us a lot of data. And yeah, I generally think that the information gained on D1 is pretty minimal. All this nitpicking and accusation-throwing: maybe y'all legitimately find it useful, but I don't.

and then

This post seems very elaborate

Vote: Ri'Orius

Did you consult with your fellow scum? ;)

Kevyt

Also, you have a father Gascoigne avatar, that automatically makes me suspicious of you!

Or is this some reverse psychology meta!?

Ah.... aahhhh argh...

;-;

GAFIAstar: Never cease never Seathing.

This is the pain of long days. We're talking ourselves into nothingburgers and having metadiscussions. I think we've got enough "information" for Day 1 because in my view, the most naked scum tells are the initial behavior. We should begin coalescing around a few people. Who wants to do the honor of narrowing the field?

Kalor

I was looking for someone to move my vote to since I only voted for johnnyquickknives as they hadn't posted yet and something about kristoffer has been nagging away at me compared to everyone else.

He initially voted for freakinchair after Haly did citing "momentum". It was their first vote and early on but it's a lazy excuse. Then there's the whole "From my role PM" which feels like a blatant attempt to act as part of the gang. He does later talk about the choice in language but that could be trying to lessen suspicion since people were calling him out over it.

He is also passing over Seath in terms of people to lynch today because of "comedic potential". While I don't have strong feelings on Seath's alignment you shouldn't be purposely overlooking someone on the first day. I can understand it later on if you might have a reason to trust someone but there's no real reason today.

A lot of it feels really blatant and it might actually be too blatant for scum but these albeit small things add up enough for me to vote for him for now.

Vote: kristoffer

So you're allied with Hobohodo then, right? That's why you didn't even mention my most blatant flaw: because you want to draw attention away from me and put me up to a tie with Freakinchair and Haly.

I ain't afraid of you, sucka. You think you've got me on the ropes but I'm about to rope-a-dope.

giphy.gif

Well good new for both of you. I've got my eyes on Freakinchair and have no intention of going after either of you, so you can cool your shit for now.

GAFIAstar: Never cease never Seathing.

This is the pain of long days. We're talking ourselves into nothingburgers and having metadiscussions. I think we've got enough "information" for Day 1 because in my view, the most naked scum tells are the initial behavior. We should begin coalescing around a few people. Who wants to do the honor of narrowing the field?

Why a few people? If they're all townies, scum will fall all over themselves laughing and have no pressure at all.

But yeah, if the day was ending in a few hours, it would make sense to do that. It's just that with two whole real life days, it doesn't seem very urgent.

Ah, I see.

You said later your math was wrong. Do you have the correct statistic? I like statistics but don't know how to calculate them myself.

Top Bottom