• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

drotahorror

I know this is a stupid question (and I'm liable to ask in another thread somewhere else) but does anyone know of any games/movies/songs with this synth sound in the background?

*DooM 2016 soundtrack
https://youtu.be/XuhnPeYhC-s?t=1h2m36s

Should start at 1h2m36sec.

It's the loooooooooooooooooooooooong synth in the background that plays for well over 30sec (not the piano). It's so dark and sinister sounding I want to hear more things with it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Also $39.99 at Best Buy this week. $31.99 with GCU. I'm on my way to pick it up right now!

XBox One
PS4
PC

Yeah I bought it through Best Buy with GCU too. I picked it up a few hours ago and just got around to actually start playing and holy shit is this game awesome. It definitely reminds me of Doom and Doom II (not that Doom 3 wasn't a good game, I just didn't like the slow gameplay)

NEO0MJ

So this isn't a permanent price drop then? Maybe I should get it...

As someone who LOVED DOOM 3, will I like this?

I didn't play Doom 3 but it seemed more horror themed with less action, smaller areas, and fewer enemies? If so you won't get a similar experience here as this game has larger arenas and you're expected to fight armies at once, though this is still a fantastic game.

KillGore

I didn't play Doom 3 but it seemed more horror themed with less action, smaller areas, and fewer enemies? If so you won't get a similar experience here as this game has larger arenas and you're expected to fight armies at once, though this is still a fantastic game.

Ok, thanks for the reply

Found a used copy that is cheaper. Does the game include some sort of code for additional content? the used copy does not have any code.

dlauv

So this isn't a permanent price drop then? Maybe I should get it...

As someone who LOVED DOOM 3, will I like this?

I don't know. What did you like it for?

Did you like it because of guns, demons, spacebase/hell?

Or did you like it because it was moody, tense, and claustrophobic?

Because DOOM 4 is guns, demons, subject matter and gunplay turned up many multiples of notches.

However, it is not moody, the tone is playful, and the environments are quite a bit more spacious.

Vitacat

Picked this up today ($32 GCU, nice).

Very fun, and really does feel like a modern Doom done right.

As usual I got the PS4 version because it's supposed to be slightly better performing than XBone (I own both consoles). Played for about an hour with DS4, then hooked up my Elite via Cronus Max.

HOLY CRAP.

I almost wish I'd bought the XBone version now. Feels so much better using the Elite, and the paddles are great for jump-looking. Well, I guess I have best of both worlds this way, despite losing wireless control. And even so, there is a plus there as well -- wired means no more DS4 bad battery life to worry about.

DJ Gunner

Platinum'd this last night on the PS4. Seriously considering buying the bone version and going for 1k. This game is Just. That. Good.

abracadaver

This game would be so much better if it wasn't just arena fights.
With free roaming monsters and more classic map design it would be one of the best games ever.

lazygecko

No single player DLC :-/

That combined with the next Quake being yet another derivative hero shooter really put a damper on my excitement.

No single player DLC :-/
Really, I thought id telegraphed there would be more coming after reading this quote from Eurogamer's coverage:

"We know that talk will only go so far with players and hope that our actions this year continue to give players across every component of the game - multiplayer, singleplayer and SnapMap - more and more reasons to continue playing and enjoying the game in whatever way they choose," Stratton says.

I just created my first SnapMap ! It's a classic key card hunt map. Quite easy to create maps.

If anyone wants to try it out, the code is Kmq9wj5d

//ARCANUM

I posted this in the Doom Demo thread but figured I'm probably more likely to get a response here:

I downloaded the demo because I'm curious how it runs on my PC (I beat the game on PS4 already). I'm surprised I'm running it as well as I am honestly. I've got an i5 3570, 16gb ram, and a GTX 680 (2gb). Running DOOM in 1920x1080 I was getting between 45-60fps (rarely 60 though). So that's pretty good honestly. But what's weird is that my PC barely sounds like it's working hard. Like when I play Overwatch, I'm able to run everything at top settings but my PC gets super loud with the fans and all that. On DOOM it sounds like the fans are barely going....

So it makes me think my PC isn't actually working as hard as it could and I *could* get over 60fps or at least a locked 60....

Anyone have any idea what's going on with that?

Bl@de

Anyone have any idea what's going on with that?

Your framerate sounds normal but the only thing I can think of: Sometimes my 770 doesn't change clockspeed to full speed (staying at 800mhz instead of going to 1240mhz) ... but that's usually the case for old games that are not demanding.

Only way to find out is an overlay like MSI Afterburner and display clockspeed, gpu utilization etc.

Rattles

Wats the point in character color customization if everyone is red or blue in a game... you would think the big red name above people's heads would be enough.

Finished my 1st playthrough on ultra violence last night, damn this game is like cocaine. Can't wait to start my nightmare run, this is GOTY for me thus far. Slim chances this will change until the end of the year.

NEO0MJ

This game would be so much better if it wasn't just arena fights.
With free roaming monsters and more classic map design it would be one of the best games ever.

There are a few areas like that but they're in short supply. I think part of the problem is how maneuverable and fast you are. Most enemies will have to be mini Barons in order to put a challenge.

Izuna

Banned
going through this game again with upgrades is so trivial.

anyone want to snapmap coop with me?

XBL; Cobalt Izuna

--

I forgot how much I hate the bugs in this game, anyone know where I can report them?

I'm talking about:

- BFG being switched out with Y/Triangle causing us to have a Combat Shotgun (or next) in our quick switch
- Hologram breaking aggro so much that enemies have to be found before being able to proceed to the next area
- Any drifting on the controller causing the character to walk
- Double Shotgun constantly having its crosshair break, (where sometimes having two bullets shows up as one), until you switch the gun out
- Remote Detonation mod on Rocket Launcher forcing Auto-Switch on Empty...

dlauv

Now that id has taken control back, I'm hopeful/doubtful that they can tweak the look and feel of these ancillary modes to better match the feeling of the single-player campaign. I'm expecting only minor balancing tweaks.

Noticed it went on sale for $40 on Amazon, so I finally caved. I had hoped I'd be able to hold out longer, but the hype's just been too strong (that, and Ratchet & Clank was $30 as well).

Really looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!

pa22word

Couple of things.

1. Hot shit wow god damn whoa. I've missed this kind of shooter sooooo much.

2. Got a Metroid Prime touch to it.

It really doesn't. It has a DOOM touch to it.

DOOM had open level design nearly 10 years before metroid prime came out. Silly fan boys slapping "FPA" label on it because they'd never played a pc shooter before doesn't really change that.

Demoskinos

DOOM had open level design nearly 10 years before metroid prime came out. Silly fan boys slapping "FPA" label on it because they'd never played a pc shooter before doesn't really change that.

This. The exploration parts of DOOM are well.. from DOOM. It plays just like it did back in 93' only with a few modern conventions.

I'm well aware of that. Problem being that we haven't actually had that in a while and that's one of the few things that Prime did nicely.

But that's not even the whole of it, just the collective feeling of the game thus far feeling a bit Metroid-y. Derelict space stations invaded by baddies, little logs spread around, platforming. That kind of stuff.

It's not a bad thing. I'm not a big fan of Metroid Prime, but there were parts to like and they are in this game.

Peff

Dat classic Doom platforming.

Minustephen

Neo Member
A bit off-topic, but if anyone wants to run with this one... Gotta say, just started it the other day, not even a little concerned with the "lack of a story." In fact, while playing Doom, I've found the lore to be pretty dang fun/intriguing. I have to wonder if the people knocking games like Doom for a lack of narrative are the types who just run n gun their way through, paying no attention to the environment and the things it possesses. Any thoughts?

ChaosXVI

I also got a lot of Metroid Prime vibes from the game...probably part of the reason that I really dug it. I know several people from id went to Retro when it was first founded, I wonder if any of them ended up going back to id sometime later and helped make Doom 2016.

The log entries reminded me a lot of Prime, along with the overall atmosphere of the game when not in combat, then there's the Pinky Demons which behave and must be beaten in a near identical way to the Sheegoths in Prime 1.

Demoskinos

A bit off-topic, but if anyone wants to run with this one... Gotta say, just started it the other day, not even a little concerned with the "lack of a story." In fact, while playing Doom, I've found the lore to be pretty dang fun/intriguing. I have to wonder if the people knocking games like Doom for a lack of narrative are the types who just run n gun their way through, paying no attention to the environment and the things it possesses. Any thoughts?

I think it does a fine enough job with its narrative. Because really all DOOM ever needs to do is loosely justify why you need to go from point A to B to kill demons X and Y. And they do that well.

I do agree though some of the data entries especially on the enemies can be pretty interesting. But they did the right thing here by not making anything that gets in the way of you putting your fists through Imp's heads.

Top Bottom