• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Art Challenge #26 - Let's just draw some gosh darn birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsmjYAE.gif

GAF Art Challenge #26 - "Birds"

THEME: Birds

Birds!​
ADDENDUM

You can draw a real bird, or a magical bird.​

GOAL
We need birds here!​

Optional Secondary Objective: Try to mimic the art style of one of your favorite artists!​

THE RULES

SUBMISSION DEADLINE
August 1st, 2016 11:59 PM Pacific (Can be extended if needed.)​

Submission Guidelines:

1) Submissions can be 2D or 3D, any traditional or digital medium. No photos/photo manipulations, paint-overs/tracing or reusing old works. Original and New work only.

2) To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images when sensible/post in proximity. Keep pieces to a reasonable size. Link to larger ones if you must.

3) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but make sure you're challenging yourself!

4) Have fun! It's not about winning or making your masterpiece every week. It's time to let your inner artist shine! All skill levels welcome!

Art Links!

Interested in Art? We have ArtGAF communities that will help you out! Don't be shy to ask out, and don't be intimidated as, when partnered with proper knowledge and work ethic, you can do great art yourself!

1) Art Self Study Thread - This thread is meant to help people starting out on Art by giving them a roadmap on how to start, and providing online resources and books to study. Feel free to ask questions!

2) Drawing-A-Day Thread - You can post your daily sketches in this thread and let people see your art progress! A great thread to come by!

3) Arts and Farts Thread - The thread where you can post your longer, more focused art and finished projects.

4) Previous challenges - You can check out the previous art challenges here for inspiration!

Great GAF Art Challenge # 1 - "An Unlikely Pair"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 2 - "The Other Side"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 3 - "The Line"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 4 - "War"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 5 - "Religion"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 6 - "Fear"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 7 - "Wishing"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 8 - "Punk"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 9 - "Extraterrestrial"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 10 - "Resurrection"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 11 - "Blithe Spirits"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 12 - "Beauty and the Beast"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 13 - "Martial Arts"
Great GAF Art Challenge #14 - "Environments and Backgrounds"
Great GAF Art Challenge #15 - "Comic Book Heroes"
Great GAF Art Challenge #16- "Through Time"
Great GAF Art Challenge #17 - "Nothing is Safe"
Great GAF Art Challenge #18 - "Autumn"
Great GAF Art Challenge #19 - "Christmas"
Great GAF Art Contest #20 - "Portraiture"
Great GAF Art Challenge #21 - "Feels"
Great GAF Art Challenge #22 - "Vampires"
Great GAF Art Challenge #23 - "Counter Culture"
Great GAF Art Challenge #24 - "MerMay"
Great GAF Art Challenge #25 - "Faeries"

I did a Blue Jay bird. I was trying out some new brushes. It came out alright here is the finished and a bit of the rough foundation work in progress.

Super sweet, man!
I didnt fully read your post and initally thought the top picture was a photo ref you used. :p
This is really good :)

Cmagus

Super sweet, man!
I didnt fully read your post and initally thought the top picture was a photo ref you used. :p
This is really good :)

Haha maybe I should just take the rough picture out. I generally like to post some of my rough work as well I dunno it's just something I've always done but I can see how it can be confusing. As far as reference goes I just googled a ton of blue jay pictures and went from there.

FRV

There are birds, so i hope it counts :).

It's rough but I donno if I will finish it by deadline so I'm posting this version.
I might try drawing a bird only picture but we will see.

Jhoan

You guys and your digital paintings. Traditional art ain't dead so here's a damn flamingo that I took some artistic liberties on. Ink and alcohol based artist markers:

wrrWNW3.png

Reference image:

Nice flamingo, Jhoan! I don't think traditional art is so dead. I think it's best for people to develop their skills with traditional materials like pencil and ink before jumping in with tablets, because there's a tendency to rely on tracing and digital techniques like photobashing, so some fundamentals are not learned. But that's a discussion for another thread.

So I drew a bird on a post-it:

Nice parakeets, Kaywee! (I think that's what they are). I haven't used pastels in years, but I always loved using chalk pastels and charcoal.

Is your photo a bit out of focus, though? It seems blurry to me.

Kaywee

Nice parakeets, Kaywee! (I think that's what they are). I haven't used pastels in years, but I always loved using chalk pastels and charcoal.

Is your photo a bit out of focus, though? It seems blurry to me.

Thanks for the compliments, I liked drawing with the chalk pastels because they are very soft but I am not very good with them. The picture itself is out of focus and it didn't help it was taken with a cell phone. I did tweek it using curves in photoshop to make it a bit brighter.

You're welcome! On the contrary, I'd say you're pretty good with the chalk pastels. No worries, I was just wishing your photo was a bit sharper so I could see a bit more of the details. :)

Super sweet birdies, doods.
I'm almost done with my vacation- I may have time to get one last beaker in this thread. Maybe. I hope I do.

Media

Saw this thread and figured it'd be a good place to ask since search is failing me, but do we have a painting thread here? I've recently gotten into oil painting and I'd love advice and guidance from people better than me :p

LegendX48

Saw this thread and figured it'd be a good place to ask since search is failing me, but do we have a painting thread here? I've recently gotten into oil painting and I'd love advice and guidance from people better than me :p

to my knowledge... No but kind of? There's just the general art threads that you can find in the OP like the arts and farts, drawing a day and self study thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom