• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am Setsuna |OT| But The World Refused To Change

I-Am-Setsuna-Banner-800x445.jpg

Title: I am Setsuna
Platform: PlayStation 4, PC
Release Date: 07-19-2016
Genre: Old School Japanese RPG
Publisher: Square Enix
Player(s): 1
Price: $39.99
Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/441830/
Playstation Store Page https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/i-am-setsuna/cid=UP0082-CUSA04770_00-IAMSETSUNAGAME00

The game begins on a snow-bound island, which is regularly beset by angry demons. According to an ancient custom, a maiden is sacrificed to appease the demons. The demons grow restless once again, and the girl Setsuna is chosen as the sacrifice. Together with a nameless mercenary, a former traveler named Kuon, and a carefree veteran soldier named Yomi, Setsuna begins her journey to the ritual site on the edges of the known world where the sacrifice will take place.

I Am Setsuna is a role-playing video game in which players take control of a party of characters, navigating environments from an angled top-down perspective. Locations such as towns and dungeons are reached by navigating the game's overworld. In towns, the party can talk with villagers to reveal plot elements, and find treasure chests containing useful items. Various items such as healing potions or "Mistone" items for escaping from battle are sold in shops in towns and across the world.

Enemies are represented by icons: contact with the icons initiates a battle. Battles take place in the environments where the enemy is encountered rather than shifting to a specific battle arena. Characters' health and magic meter are respectively represented by HP and MP. Characters fight using a version of the Active Time Battle System featured in games such as entries in the Final Fantasy series: after each action is taken by a character in battle, an ATB gauge must fill again before another action is taken. Actions by the party include attacking, using magic, or using an item. When all ATB gauges are full, the order of characters' actions can be selected. Each time an action is taken, or the ATB gauge is allowed to fill a separate "Setsuna" gauge is filled: when full, actions are granted power boosts if using specifically timed actions when activating an ability. These boosts can be dealing multiple versions of the attack, recovering health, or dealing critical damage to an enemy.

FAQS

Is there a physical version of I am Setsuna available?

It is only available digitally in the west.

Is there a Vita version of this game?

Yes but there are only bringing the PS4 and PC versions to the west.

Review Thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1248708

If there is something you feel needs to be added to the OT, send me a PM.

georly

Thanks for the OP. Have it preordered, looking forward to it. Wonder if i can stop playing pkmn go or monster hunter long enough to play though ;-;

Corpekata

Banned
Been playing a lot of great and ambitious but janky ass games lately. Will be nice to have something a little more simple and focused to play.

If only GMG would send out keys.

Shahed

The OT probably isn't the place to talk about lack of physical or Vita, even if I'm disappointed by the former.

Anyone know if you need to pre-order to get the PS4 themes or are they always available?

I really, really liked this game. I would caution anyone to keep their expectations in check; honestly, some people may end up feeling a bit burned by the $40 price tag. But if you are looking for a 15-20 hour RPG that plays like RPGs from the yester-year, is charming with a simple but decent narrative, and has throwbacks galore to games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X, it's absolutely worth your time. If you've been hankering for a PSX-style RPG with a world map, airships, and snappy turn based battles, check it out.

I'm very much anticipating whatever it is that Tokyo RPG Factory works on next.

Kenai

$40 is a bit much for me to stomach for digital but I am curious about it regardless. Will keep an eye on it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Glad to see an OT for this as its a great little game. Those who enjoy classic JRPGs should feel right at home with this.

120v

Finally... an honest to god old school jrpg that isn't rpgmaker or some shit. Hope it's just one of many more to come

Labadal

I have this pre-ordered. I will drop every other game and focus on this. I really do hope that I like it, because this is a bit of a gamble.

Here are some samples of the game's outstanding OST

The Winter Breeze https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gO-KFbG63k

Into the Woods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YiDEWHHpk

Endless Crusade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzPUbpjaGg

I really, really liked this game. I would caution anyone to keep their expectations in check; honestly, some people may end up feeling a bit burned by the $40 price tag. But if you are looking for a 15-20 hour RPG that plays like RPGs from the yester-year, is charming with a simple but decent narrative, and has throwbacks galore to games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X, it's absolutely worth your time. If you've been hankering for a PSX-style RPG with a world map, airships, and snappy turn based battles, check it out.

This is all I want.

Begaria

Perfect title for the OT. A good nod to both Chrono Trigger and the very specific focus on creating old school JRPGs.

Bladenic

I pre-ordered, 11 hours till it DLs. Didn't know you also got the soundtrack. The two themes are beautiful and the piano track is gorgeous. Can't wait to play it!

The music alone makes me want to get this game.
Just still not crazy about spending anything more than $20 on something I don't own physically. I guess my old ass just isn't quite ready for our all-digital future. :/

Ennosuke

I feel like an idiot. Since one week, I have a discussion with myself. Should I buy this game or not? Sometimes my conclusion is: Hell yes! Sometimes it is "Will buy it on sale".

kromeo

But if you are looking for a 15-20 hour RPG that plays like RPGs from the yester-year, is charming with a simple but decent narrative, and has throwbacks galore to games like Chrono Trigger

I like that. Finished Bravely default not long ago and I did like it but it really felt 3 times longer than it needed to be

Ishida

Banned
100% getting this tomorrow. Huge fan of Chrono Trigger here.

I just wished the environments were more varied than the snowy setting, though.

Bladenic

100% getting this tomorrow. Huge fan of Chrono Trigger here.

I just wished the environments were more varied than the snowy setting, though.

Snowy settings are my often my favorites in games along with tropical ones, so I love the fact. But I can understand how someone might tire of the motif, although the game isn't 40-60 hours so it should be okay.

Top Bottom