• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am Setsuna |OT| But The World Refused To Change

Ennosuke

Now that the GMG vouchers are gone. (No discount anymore in general for me) I am going to pre-order this on the PS4. Theme looks amazing! Gonna do this now, I really do hope I won't regret it.

Bladenic

Dumb question I know, but I never pre-ordered a game on PSN before. Since the game image is already on my list, does this mean that at midnight I can already play or that's when the download starts?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
yooo that sucks. i literally pre-ordered it like an hour ago and it popped in immediately.
lesson: don't pre-order early?

edit: just cuz

eh, I can wait. Especially since I got a larger discount back in May than is available now.

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, but this only having the snowy locales is pretty disappointing.

Kinda want right away, but probably going to wait for more reviews and or a sale.

Dumb question I know, but I never pre-ordered a game on PSN before. Since the game image is already on my list, does this mean that at midnight I can already play or that's when the download starts?

If you've already preloaded, you're good to go. Unlike with Steam, the game will just unlock immediately at midnight. There's no lengthy decrypting process.

DJIzana

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, but this only having the snowy locales is pretty disappointing.

Kinda want right away, but probably going to wait for more reviews and or a sale.

I share the same concern about only snow type of environments but certainly not enough to warrant skipping the day one release of the game. If anything, I think they already take that as a concern and will change that for their next game (if the studio will get the chance to make another game... hopefully they do).

I share the same concern about only snow type of environments but certainly not enough to warrant skipping the day one release of the game. If anything, I think they already take that as a concern and will change that for their next game (if the studio will get the chance to make another game... hopefully they do).

Trust me, I thought about it, the PS4 bonus themes for pre-ordering are nice, the music is nicer than what you see, but eh...

I'm so disappointed in you GAF... Neither the OT name, OP post, nor anywhere on the first page is...

gundam_009.jpg

Still debating getting this game. It does give off Chrono Trigger vibes for me as well... but I'm worried I may be setting the game up for disappointment in my own mind with such comparisons.

Hobbun

Still trying to get through the Legend of Heroes games (FC and SC) on my Vita. But will definitely purchase this once I finish those.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Setsuna looks cute but I doubt this game will manage to reach the incredible highs of Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (both are considered masterpieces).

So what exactly is the bonus track we get for preordering on PS4? Is it something for use in the game or something that I will have in my PSN library? The themes are wonderful by the way.

I'm surprised that so many people seem turned off by the snowy setting. I personally love it and think it is great to see a game so ingrained in a particular setting style and own it in terms of art direction and music. It might also help that I just enjoy snowy settings.

Bladenic

Some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Setsuna looks cute but I doubt this game will manage to reach the incredible highs of Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (both are considered masterpieces).

I sure hope nobody is actively expecting or hoping this game to be the next Chrono Trigger. Especially since this game was made by rookies (unless there was some big name involved that I missed) while CT was made by veterans.

Byvar

It won't be a Chrono Trigger but I'm guessing it'll be like Child of Light: short but sweet.
And that's totally my type of game. I pre-ordered a while ago, but every time I see the game the soundtrack and art (in-game too) look fantastic and I start looking forward to it even more. Can't wait.

dickroach

I sure hope nobody is actively expecting or hoping this game to be the next Chrono Trigger. Especially since this game was made by rookies (unless there was some big name involved that I missed) while CT was made by veterans.

yeah, I don't think anyone's expecting that.
just a cool new JRPG because the SNES Mini isn't out yet

My copy is pre-ordered and I can't waaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Everything (save Dark Souls 2) gets dropped for this.

Yup! I just want a nice uncringey JRPG. I want a story with high highs even if it doesn't manage the perfect pacing of CT. I want to say "oh that's interesting" at least a couple of times.

Are there garbage minigames? I want to like BoF3, but every fucking time the game starts to get interesting, they do some shit like "avoid the spotlights" or "cut these logs in half". Please, just let me have fun with the battle system!

BluWacky

Hmmm. Chrono Trigger was Yasunori Mitsuda's first game score, and Masato Kato had done the script for, what, two games? One of which was an anime adaptation with a preprinted story?

I'm not denying the influence of the veteran team on them, but given that these are probably the two most memorable elements of Chrono Trigger I wouldn't necessarily say that inexperience is a negative thing.

I don't think Setsuna will be as good as Chrono Trigger either, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be good.

Corpekata

Banned
The comparisons to CT are about similarities in systems, not people expecting it to be as good as it.

I mean, that's a good rule of thumb to have when people talk about a game in comparison to other titles. When someone compares a game to the Souls series, for instance, they aren't referring to it being better or even as good as the game, but instead are talking about gameplay systems or attitudes.

Tohsaka

Only snowy location? Piano only score? Budget Constraints?

It's the first game by a newly-formed SE studio and wasn't full price in Japan, chances are the budget was not high. It wasn't intended to be a big 80-hour epic or anything, it's a throwback game meant to evoke the SNES days.

Tsunamo

Looking forward to hearing some GAFers impressions. I'm tempted to get it but the high price for a digital only title is a bit off putting, but it a bit cheaper on the US store ($40 versus $60 on the Aus store) helps a bit. I still might wait for a sale though.

Does anyone know what it's like length wise?

Looking forward to hearing some GAFers impressions. I'm tempted to get it but the high price for a digital only title is a bit off putting, but it a bit cheaper on the US store ($40 versus $60 on the Aus store) helps a bit. I still might wait for a sale though.

From the import thread, the general consensus seemed to be good, but not CT-good, and about 20 hours long.

Its been said to be 15-20 hours

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, gonna wait for reviews. Nothing of the game I've seen has grabbed me.

They keep spouting "chrono trigger!" but so what? Not sure what connections I'm supposed to be seeing.

Koozek

Btw, here's a pretty interesting interview with SE president Yosuke Matsuda and Setsuna's director, Kengo Uchibori, and producer, Atsushi Hashimoto:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/03/24290/

Matsuda: Well, I didn’t actually create the name. I heard that the staff had deliberated and somehow the result was this…(laugh). Oh, and there’s one more reason…

Overseas, the number of successful works that pay homage to Japanese games is quite high. I thought about why those works couldn’t be created in Japan. Like, we’re seriously getting beaten at our own game (laugh). Then I also wondered if we can’t ever make authentic Japanese games again. These two reasons led to the creation of this Setsuna project.​

[...]​

Matsuda: I’m keeping a watchful eye on the situation as my heart’s pounding (laugh). I’d thought about some themes. As I had said previously, budget and time were limited to a certain degree, and though I wasn’t sure this game would be accepted by everyone, as I stood in the midst of this uncertainty I wanted someone to tell me which areas to direct our focus, where we should devote our energies so that we could make an outstanding work. I’d be fine with a mixed reception. The worst outcome is if Setsuna doesn’t generate any opinions or discussions.

It’s okay if people are divided into two groups: those who consider the game to be great, and others who disagree with that sentiment. But if we can create a title that gets curious people extremely curious about it, I think, in some way, that might be a win for us. Of course, the best outcome is if people play the game, it’s rated positively, and it sells well (laugh).

Eguchi: If the game is universally accepted then it falls flat, right? I think games are meant to be sharp.

Matsuda: I agree. By falling flat, it means that the game has no personality. I suppose you could say that wanting to create a sharp title that generates discussion was our starting point. It’s also the motivation for green lighting the TRF project.​

Shin-chan

All pre ordered. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into it after work tomorrow. Will try and finish up chapter 5 of TMS tonight.

HeeHo

I didn't know the game was going to be $40. I was really excited thinking it would be $20. It's not extremely short is it?

This is the type of game I grew up with, so I'm super excited. I'm aware it might not be as amazing as the classics, but that's okay. From what I've seen, this game has heart, and that's enough for me with this one.

Kieli

The look and the combat system for example?

I'm failing to see how the game looks like CT when it's low-res 3D chibi models vs. sprites.

But I do see the similarities in combat, with members taking positioning against enemies on map (no transition).

Top Bottom