• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Price Is Right MAFIA edition |OT| Come on down!!!

Karkador

Banned
Walk me through how scum would manipulate your use of this, I don't get it. Explain it to me like I'm someone who thinks N3 is before D3.

SalvaPot

Losing the ability when hitting scum is, well, no drawback at all. Usually when you hit scum is a good idea to come forward with it, and chances are you are going to be killed anyway, so it seems weird to me that you would come forward now.

They could point me at a less useful scum player?

Like, let's say scum has the BBQ, and let's say Stanley , Corn, and Nin are scum*. Corn has the bbq, so they would probably try try to bus Stanley or Nin, no? As opposed to running the risk of me checking Corn and making them lose an item.

Since i lose the ability after checking whoever, Corn and the other remaining player are 'safe' now.

Or they could just kill me. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

*picked at random, also a random # of scum

Meanwhile:

RNUWAu9.jpg

Karkador

Banned
The one weird thing about this claimed power is that it doesn't come off very "neutral" in its usefulness. Like, if scum had won this item, the way Sketch is describing it, it would be completely useless to them.

It just seems slightly unlikely if we're assuming every player is Ordinary Town/Mafia until they get an item.

The one weird thing about this claimed power is that it doesn't come off very "neutral" in its usefulness. Like, if scum had won this item, the way Sketch is describing it, it would be completely useless to them.

It just seems slightly unlikely if we're assuming every player is Ordinary Town/Mafia until they get an item.

Well I mean, we DID have a neutral at one point. Scum would be able to find him via this, especially since his thing was item thief.

SalvaPot

It would help a scum player to clean other players, so to appear town.

El Topo

It would help a scum player to clean other players, so to appear town.

Why would scum need an item to clear town players? If there is only one neutral, who in this case is rotting in the trash container behind the studio, they know exactly who is town and who is not.

SalvaPot

Why would scum need an item to clear town players? If there is only one neutral, who in this case is rotting in the trash container behind the studio, they know exactly who is town and who is not.

Because if they got the item, they can back them knowing who is town with the use of said item. If there is tracker that targets the same player as them, they can always justify it with "I am a cop bro, see, I got this nice item that lets me cop and stuff".

If all items are to be won by anyone, that means they can be useful just for the sake of having them, even if you don't "need" them since you already know the answer.

For example, they can use the item to claim they cleaned one of the players that went harder on them, to get them off track.

If I am talking strictly Oceanic vs Star, I would vote Oceanic. Other than that I think we should just vote Karkador, who made a dumb mistake and MUST PAY FOR IT.

Kyanrute

Roles can differ in power depending which side has them. Town vigi can misfire whereas scum would be overjoyed to have an additional kill. Alignment cop is great for town but scum can't really use if for anything but gambits.

Because if they got the item, they can back them knowing who is town with the use of said item. If there is tracker that targets the same player as them, they can always justify it with "I am a cop bro, see, I got this nice item that lets me cop and stuff".

If all items are to be won by anyone, that means they can be useful just for the sake of having them, even if you don't "need" them since you already know the answer.

For example, they can use the item to claim they cleaned one of the players that went harder on them, to get them off track.

If I am talking strictly Oceanic vs Star, I would vote Oceanic. Other than that I think we should just vote Karkador, who made a dumb mistake and MUST PAY FOR IT.

What stops scum from claiming this with literally any item bid they win?

nin1000

Banned
kark, you are on of those players.

Can you put down your thoughts on the current situation and why you still want sawnkeeks dead ?

Karkador

Banned
Well I mean, we DID have a neutral at one point. Scum would be able to find him via this, especially since his thing was item thief.

It seems like that'd be a lot of work for nothing. Based on the powers we've seen so far, I'd say the Neutral was meant more as a help to Mafia than Town. Though Magnum didn't really play it that way.

Seems like a longshot about something they could just lie about. The mafia position innately gives them more usefulness than the alignment cop role.

El Topo

But we don't have a tracker in this game, do we?

Karkador

Banned
The current situation is that I still feel the same about everything I've been saying about Sawneeks and Kyan, and those two going for that Kalor vote didn't change that at all.

The pain in the ass is that our two investigators decided to look at the same person, both despite having no apparent suspicions about her, and none of it actually tells us anything about alignment. It's kind of insane.

Sawneeks is female.
ah, my bad, completely slipped my mind. a thousand apologies. wont happen again

I still don't see the downside on asking about a dodgy role, in fact tell me what's wrong with it instead of again not explaining.

you say asking for this information was to try in some way verify the role, i think this is bull because we would have found out soon enough anyway, either by scum killing star because a cop is a gigantic threat to them, or if we lynch her because we feel that we really need to verify her claims.
the role of alignment cop is only a threat to scum. wiether it targets town or scum is good for us. knowing how many more times that power can be used will only help scum.

And I'd certainly appreciate it if you'd actually tell me if you think an indefinite role cop is problematic.

it would have made stars claim more doubtful, but i put very little value it speculating over balance, especially in a very unorthodox game like this.
in short. i dont really care. and i dont see why you care so much.

Kyanrute

If Star is scum, she wanted to divert the lynch away, presumably from a scum mate. Scum Star should mean that either Sawneeks or Salva is scum. Signs point to Sawneeks because Salva gained #townpoints from Splinter's tunneling. There is no reason to play the cop gambit if Star is scum and confirm two townies when the threat against Star wasn't that much at all.

nin1000

Banned
If Star is scum, she wanted to divert the lynch away, presumably from a scum mate. Scum Star should mean that either Sawneeks or Salva is scum. Signs point to Sawneeks because Salva gained #townpoints from Splinter's tunneling. There is no reason to play the cop gambit if Star is scum and confirm two townies when the threat against Star wasn't that much at all.

So, Lynch Sawneeks in the end anyay ?

nin1000

Banned
No. Why don't we let scum tell us what to do with the trio? Explain to me why wouldn't scum kill town Star on the night to come?

Ok Kyan, how should we proceed then. My inital thought was Kill SS in order to clean the plate with Sawneeks/Salva. This did not get any traction at all since Kark and El topo still want to keep lynching Sawneeks. I for one do NOT want to kill her since she got cleared by our Cop.

How should we proceed then ? I am up for something new and would love to hear your reactions to it.

Vote :Karkador

i dont know, but you certanly give me some scummy vibes kark.

Ok Kyan, how should we proceed then. My inital thought was Kill SS in order to clean the plate with Sawneeks/Salva. This did not get any traction at all since Kark and El topo still want to keep lynching Sawneeks. I for one do NOT want to kill her since she got cleared by our Cop.

How should we proceed then ? I am up for something new and would love to hear your reactions to it.

Vote :Karkador

i dont know, but you certanly give me some scummy vibes kark.

If Sketch is scum, then probably at best 1/3rd of the Sketch Group (Sketch + 2 resules) is town. At worst all 3 are scum.

But if Sketch is town, then all 3 are town barring some godfather type role. Sketch lynched, scum kills a cleared result (ie Sawneeks). Now we went from 3 cleared people in the pool to 1 person.

I don't think lynching Sketch if worth the risk. I don't think lynching Sawneeks is worth the risk either.

nin1000

Banned
If Sketch is scum, then probably at best 1/3rd of the Sketch Group (Sketch + 2 resules) is town. At worst all 3 are scum.

But if Sketch is town, then all 3 are town barring some godfather type role. Sketch lynched, scum kills a cleared result (ie Sawneeks). Now we went from 3 cleared people in the pool to 1 person.

I don't think lynching Sketch if worth the risk. I don't think lynching Sawneeks is worth the risk either.

So that narrows down to....

2. [m] StanleyPalmtree
3. [m] Karkador
4. [m] nin1000
6. [m] OceanicAir
8. [m] Kyanrute
13. [-] Christina Mackenzie
20. [m] El Topo

Take your Pick

ah, my bad, completely slipped my mind. a thousand apologies. wont happen again

you say asking for this information was to try in some way verify the role, i think this is bull because we would have found out soon enough anyway, either by scum killing star because a cop is a gigantic threat to them, or if we lynch her because we feel that we really need to verify her claims.
the role of alignment cop is only a threat to scum. wiether it targets town or scum is good for us. knowing how many more times that power can be used will only help scum.

it would have made stars claim more doubtful, but i put very little value it speculating over balance, especially in a very unorthodox game like this.
in short. i dont really care. and i dont see why you care so much.
We can lynch her but not question her? As I said before, I'm not lynching anybody for purely clarification reasons, it's lazy and absolves you from any blame later. Also, pretty much the only way there is an issue is if she for some reason answers whether or not her role is x-shot or indefinite (my actual question) with "I have 0 shots left" which isn't even a logical answer to my question. And saying that the two questions are the same is disingenuous at best.

And there's a difference in speculating if scum has power roles already or not and whether the claim that somebody made makes sense. Because for the latter, everybody has their limit of believability.

We can lynch her but not question her? As I said before, I'm not lynching anybody for purely clarification reasons, it's lazy and absolves you from any blame later. Also, pretty much the only way there is an issue is if she for some reason answers whether or not her role is x-shot or indefinite (my actual question) with "I have 0 shots left" which isn't even a logical answer to my question. And saying that the two questions are the same is disingenuous at best.

And there's a difference in speculating if scum has power roles already or not and whether the claim that somebody made makes sense. Because for the latter, everybody has their limit of believability.

because you asked that, scum now know its still in their best interest to kill star, and all we know is that if Star is scum, then shes not a complete idiot.
i cant imagine a scenario where you can think asking that would be worth it.

also the heck are you talking about with the scum roles speculation? i really have no clue what you are getting at there.

Sophia

sawneeks (2)
el topo 1329
karkador 1330
nin1000 1436 (1439)

oceanicair (2)
stanleypalmtree 1384
nin1000 1385 (1417)
cornburrito 1403

cornburrito (1)
oceanicair 1415

kyanrute (1)
sawneeks 1418

karkador (1)
nin1000 1439

Majority is 6

Day 5 will end in:

blu_1473022800.png

(Also, a heads up notice for all players, but at the end of this day phase we'll be moving to 24 hour nights and 48 hour day phases. Bidding phases will last the entire night phase, and just proceed out as soon as they're finished.)

Karkador

Banned
I'd like to talk about the completely bogus Kalor lynch, which had the flimsiest reasoning behind it for everyone involved.

Top Bottom