• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dovan looks pretty great with that +1. Basically makes Avacyn reset him back to 3 and I'm assuming nullifies her ability to board wipe.

No, that's a triggered ability, not an activated ability.

On a similar note that card doesn't really bring out any of the flavor of him being able to notice the flaw in anything just by observing it.

I'm pretty sure that's what his +1 ability is supposed to represent.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EDIT: Wait, hold on, what's with the different wordings between the searching for these two cards?
Verdant%2BCrescendo%2B%255BKLD%255D.jpg
Liberating%2BCombustion%2B%255BKLD%255D.jpg

Library and graveyard vs. library and/or graveyard
The mandatory vs. may is due to Chandra's spell's default effect not requiring searching the library, but I don't get the above.

This is driving me nuts now

OnPoint

He just seems oppressive

As blue-white should be, so they're on flavor. I'm just curious as to how he plays into the story. I don't expect him to become a recurring character. I think we're just going to learn Tezzeret is maneuvering and pulling strings and Dovan just happened to be a pawn in the plot.

ultron87

EDIT: Wait, hold on, what's with the different wordings between the searching for these two cards?
The mandatory vs. may is due to Chandra's spell's default effect not requiring searching the library, but I don't get the above.

I'm thinking it is so that if you have a Chandra in your Graveyard you can just grab that and not worry about searching and shuffling your library. If it said "you may search your library and graveyard" you'd have to do both.

Violet_0

Banned
so why is the no swiss booster draft for the Innistrad 2.0 cycle on MTGO and why did I waste money on this crap

I think I'm going to Friday Night magic this week

Yeef

Verdant%2BCrescendo%2B%255BKLD%255D.jpg
Liberating%2BCombustion%2B%255BKLD%255D.jpg

Nissa's spell already has you search your library no matter what for the land, so there's no need to use the or.

The second one doesn't get the whole ability negated by "players can't search libraries" effects?

With Nissa's card, you're already searching your library. Searching your graveyard carries no additional cost with it. So the card instructs you to search both, because why wouldn't you since you're in there already?

With Chandra's card, there's no need to search your library if you just want to get the card from your graveyard, since searching your library would force you to shuffle it. So the card lets you choose one or the other to give you the option to save time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
With Company gone, control should be a lot more playable and he seems really solid. He reminds me a lot of Architect of Thought, actually.

There's no reason why UW Control would be any better than WB or even GB and Dovin's card doesn't help much either in my opinion. It isn't a card that seems particularly pushed compared to Architect of Thought, which is probably just a better card because Jace's minus is so much better for control decks.

I just don't see any reason to play blue over black or green because blue has terrible card draw and Kaladesh appears much more slanted towards aggressive strategies than either BFZ or SOI blocks were.

OnPoint

T1 - Mountain, Bomat Courier, attack, exile Simian Spirit Guide, activate ability, discard hand
T2 - Reanimate Grisselbrand

Game

Actually, lemme rethink that:

T1 - Mountain, Bomat Courier, attack, exile Simian Spirit Guide, activate ability, discard hand
T2 - DREEEEEEEEEDGE

Tournament

El Topo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216786574]Seems worse than Insolent Neonate[/QUOTE]

I assume in practice it will be worse, but in an aggressive deck it could be potentially useful if you can get at least two hits in. Assuming you empty your hand, "R, Sacrifice ~: Draw two cards" is pretty strong in those decks.
Admittedly, I'm not sure how many hits you'll realistically get through.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Like I said it's a shenanigans card. The kind that some numbskull figures out how to used in a super obnoxious way to win on turn 3.

There's no reason why UW Control would be any better than WB or even GB and Dovin's card doesn't help much either in my opinion. It isn't a card that seems particularly pushed compared to Architect of Thought, which is probably just a better card because Jace's minus is so much better for control decks.

I just don't see any reason to play blue over black or green because blue has terrible card draw and Kaladesh appears much more slanted towards aggressive strategies than either BFZ or SOI blocks were.

Baby Jace and emerge were the reason. Personally gonna try Jund and Bant control first.

Also from the Planeswalker decks, new tapped-land art.
en_qkWdicjSwy.png
en_BN3HdwyCyO.png

I didn't expect Chandra's deck to be red-white. Also, given that these decks are going to be used to keep these tapped-lands in Standard indefinitely. it's odd that they're reprinting the enemy colored ones from SOI before the ally colored ones from BFZ.

EDIT:
inspiredcharge.jpg
aetherbornmarauder.jpg
salivatinggremlins.jpg
ruinousgremlin.jpg

Living the dream for you, Grimace:

kjhlkj9fjga.png

Flashback //Bust, play forest off of Crucible, cast 5/6 Tarmogoyf. Untap, play Blood Moon.

Unfortunately, my opponent conceded to the //Bust.

Violet_0

Banned
finally, thopters. It's odd there's so few of them considering this is the thopter plane

say, if I want to make a paper commander deck and have basically zero cards to start with, what would be the best/cheapest place to go shopping? (in Europe)

Santiako

finally, thopters. It's odd there's so few of them considering this is the thopter plane

say, if I want to make a paper commander deck and have basically zero cards to start with, what would be the best/cheapest place to go shopping? (in Europe)

Buy a Commander precon, they are a great way to get started.

Bane

I've a noob question. I'm not planning to get super into Magic but would like to get a few starter decks to mess around with when some friends come over to game. I got a couple from the Innistrad set the other day, would there be any balancing issues if I got starters from the last couple of blocks or the upcoming planeswalker decks?

What are the chances that Herald of Kozilek will finally have its day in the sun? Maybe with Aether Revolt?

I assume there's no "colourless" decks in standard...

ultron87

I've a noob question. I'm not planning to get super into Magic but would like to get a few starter decks to mess around with when some friends come over to game. I got a couple from the Innistrad set the other day, would there be any balancing issues if I got starters from the last couple of blocks or the upcoming planeswalker decks?

I expect they'd work together just fine since they're all of a similar power level, but I don't think they do a ton of balancing between those decks even in the same block. If you want something that is specifically balanced against each other you can look at the "Duel Deck" series where they have pairs of decks built to play against each other. Most recent one is "Blessed vs Cursed".

Violet_0

Banned
Buy a Commander precon, they are a great way to get started.

eh, I'll consider it, depending on the price. I have a commander deck in MTGO, which I think is probably a lot cheaper than ordering the real cards
--
okay, again, why are there swiss drafts for Takir and Zendikar but not Innistrad on MTGO

Wichu

Also, given that these decks are going to be used to keep these tapped-lands in Standard indefinitely. it's odd that they're reprinting the enemy colored ones from SOI before the ally colored ones from BFZ.
They print all 10 in the Deck Builder's Toolkit. They don't need to have them all in the Planeswalker decks.

1/1 flying tokens are pretty rare usually -- zero in BFZ block and two in KTK block, for example. (SOI had a lot of cards that make them at 10, but they're all white and it's to support a tribal theme.) They're usually going to be in white, which is totally the wrong color for them here. And Kaladesh has a different artifact token with a much higher than normal quantity of cards that make them, which uses up even more space.

Another legend.

why

whyy

WHYYYYYYYYY. why.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The taplands aren't in the booster product so its fine. There's an enemy colored theme in Kaladesh anyways.

Bane

I expect they'd work together just fine since they're all of a similar power level, but I don't think they do a ton of balancing between those decks even in the same block. If you want something that is specifically balanced against each other you can look at the "Duel Deck" series where they have pairs of decks built to play against each other. Most recent one is "Blessed vs Cursed".

I've looked into those and will probably get one or two but I'd also like to get some stand alone starters to give people more options, plus I'm liking the art style of Kaladesh. Thanks for the info.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
On Twitter, Maro's teasing a previously banned reprint that's appeared in a core set, an expansion, a duel deck, a Master's set, and an FTV.

OnPoint

I want to make a Thopter EDH deck, so these are some smaller pieces I was hoping for. How about a big one? How about that good UR artifact legend, so I can have a good commander for the deck? And I don't like that thopters are crossing into white.

Angry Grimace

I mean, if your turn 1 play is Great Furnace, seems good. Kird Ape is hardly busted and Kird Ape was generally far easier to turn on.

alternade

Damn, this set is basically going to make up 90% of my UR Artifact EDH deck. All I need is someone to replace Nin with and some new mana rocks.

Angry Grimace

You could probably win 50% of your games on MTGO's 2-man queues by just mainboarding Orbs of Warding.

Nobody plays anything but U/R Burn. It is a bad deck, but people like that it doesn't cost anything.

Toxi

Banned
Conditional 2 power vanilla at 1 mana ain't gonna set the world on fire. As pointed out, Kird Ape basically does the same thing.

If you already have a list go to magiccardmarket.com. It's basically ebay for magiccards. For recent or commonly played stuff you mostly will get acceptable deals from commercial sellers. For more obscure stuff it can be a bit fiddly to find people who have multiple of those cheap (you want that to cut shipping costs). For large quantities I'd check out those commercial Greek and Spanish sellers. They often are dirt cheap and the high shipping costs get made up for by the sheer amount of money you save. If you want to save even more money, depending on how important it is to you to have the optimally tuned list, you may consider expanding your decklist to 130+ cards (including lands) and just buy the pieces you get a good deal on. The downside of this is that you have to invest a ton of time to get really cheap. Simply using mkm's own "cheapest deal" feature for your list never brought up good results for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom