• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

SalvaPot

Salva read over Barry's role pm.

The pokemon teams have their own separate alignment that's different from the regular town, neutral, scum.

So for instance you can be town, and then if your captured by pokemon trainer red, then you would be aligned with town AND aligned with red at the same time.

That seems like a fun extra, but its still something that can be used to scout for other trainers or captured players.

I am reading to the previous pages and I have a few observations to make, mostly I dislike how everyone seems so eager to prod on Sophia just because of her double vote. Also I think its incredibly distasteful to go back to a previous game and use that as ammo to suspect Sophia now, I think Sophia just wanted to use her power so we could see where she was standing and for the most part it works, I think we are better off just moving on for now and letting her be.

More than looking at the people that voted for bronx, we should be looking at those who didn't cast a vote. The most suspicious of all as of this moment is Royal and unvoting without trying to put a vote somewhere else. Sure, it was sudden, but most day 1 lynches are. If people didn't want to vote they could have EASILY go for the No Lynch since its pretty much the same thing as not voting, unless you do want people to be lynched and keep your hands clean.

Sawneeks

Banned
I had totally lost track of the votecount, I did absolutely not pick up that Bronx-Man already had that many votes on him, I was ready to swing over to melonrabbit but feared to cause a tie. I wasn't sure how many votes the voteleader had or who the voteleader even was or if he currently was in a tie with Topo. The only thing I knew was that I wouldn't cause a tie by unvoting Topo (but maybe by staying) so that's what I did.

Okay seriously, what's this whole 'well I would have voted for Melon!' thing that keeps going around? A good chunk of the Bronx voters mentioned they would have gone for Melon but didn't and now you are too.

as above mentioned all of those who voted Bronx. Every single one of them will fight back ( like they should ) and defend themselves ( like they damn should ) but in the end bronx died by their hands and looking at them is a start. Of course in the end someone could argue that scum could also hide somewhere else but for today i want to focus on the votes of bronx. In my eyes not focusing on those facts could hurt us in the long run.

Thank you, Nin.

Since you have a primary focus on the Bronx voters who do you plan to lynch today? I believe you said you wanted to focus on Ynnek/Splinter/Roy for their weak reasons for voting but I haven't seen any other compelling reasons brought up against them. Was there something they did on Day 1 that caught your attention or just the vote itself?

Because frankly I agree that they are all terrible reasons for voting imo. Stan at least has the benefit of his being very early although his also reads like just having a vote down for the sake of it.

Vote: Sophia

I have no idea how she could have survived the night. A town-aligned double vote is catastrophic for scum. Less indicative of scumminess is her vote for Bronx-Man. If a doctor protected her, how did Barry die?

So her surviving the Night is somehow scummier than her 'let's vote out the inactive' vote?

What.

3 no votes: CM, Flush, and Ferret

I need to look back into Ferret, you brought up a good point in your following post.

Ferret, why didn't you have a vote down on Day 1?

Hmm... of the active posters, Gorlak gives me the worst gut reads because he's tunneling me pretty hardcore, and could easily justify his reasons for it after I flip town.

I joked earlier that you were being paranoid but geez are you really being paranoid. Gorlak asks you a whole bunch of questions and now you Scum read him? You keep looking over your shoulder every time someone talks to you or talks about you. It feels like you're hiding something and you're worried about letting that slip.

Which is odd considering you didn't feel the need to hide your doublevote at all.

Maybe this pressure Gorlak is putting on you is a good thing.

Finally done catching up.

I really don't like the narrative that it's my suggestion to vote for Bronx-Man. The real deadweight we should vote before it's too late is called SalvaPot as he didn't and still doesn't show any intention to participate in this game in any meaningful way. Bronx-man was inactive, so I won't deny that it is an okay-ish vote, but the inactive that is just outright and purpousfully shitposting and unhelpful would have been the better choice. Unfortunately Gorlak seems to be the only other one thinking so. I didn't push eagerly against the Bronx-Train out of fear people might switch to Sophia who for some reason that is completely obscure to me got and still gets a lot of suspicion. As I said, Bronx was an okay-ish lynch, Sophia would've been horrible.

This stands out to as a complete non-answer, which I dislike. So you flipped over to Bronx because...you played roulette and it landed on his space? Come on Flush. Also, how would a melonrabbit vote cause a tie? If you said Sophia, I'd believe it.

"non-answer"? What kind of convoluted masterplan do you expect for a literally last-minute unvote(!) off a player who in retrospect wasn't even close to getting lynched(!!) as there was no further momentum towards him?

And I didn't flip over to Bronx at all. Where did you get that one from? The text you're quoting literally says I would've voted for melonrabbit.

And how could I think melonrabbit would be a tie? Well, I actually wasn't that far off. Let's look at the vote record:

bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

melonrabbit (1)
*splinter 786 (797)
barrylocke 796

For our analysis we can completely ignore roytheone's vote as it's after my unvote. As of post 796 (note that it's already XX:59) we have melonrabbit 2 : bronx-man 3. If I now switch from el Topo to melonrabbit, we have a tie. Even without the Barrylocke vote (I honestly don't remember exactly when I decided to start typing the unvote command), Sophia indicated she would've voted for melonrabbit at some point so there was the possibility she still would switch. There was a realistic chance of ending the day with a tie if I switched to melonrabbit especially with all the switches happening the last minute.

Now that this nonsense hopefully is dealt with on to the next post... (yeah, I'm trying to keep my promise of making more focused posts)

SalvaPot

I really don't like the narrative that it's my suggestion to vote for Bronx-Man. The real deadweight we should vote before it's too late is called SalvaPot as he didn't and still doesn't show any intention to participate in this game in any meaningful way. Bronx-man was inactive, so I won't deny that it is an okay-ish vote, but the inactive that is just outright and purpousfully shitposting and unhelpful would have been the better choice. Unfortunately Gorlak seems to be the only other one thinking so. I didn't push eagerly against the Bronx-Train out of fear people might switch to Sophia who for some reason that is completely obscure to me got and still gets a lot of suspicion. As I said, Bronx was an okay-ish lynch, Sophia would've been horrible.

"non-answer"? What kind of convoluted masterplan do you expect for a literally last-minute unvote(!) off a player who in retrospect wasn't even close to getting lynched(!!) as there was no further momentum towards him?

And I didn't flip over to Bronx at all. Where did you get that one from? The text you're quoting literally says I would've voted for melonrabbit.

And how could I think melonrabbit would be a tie? Well, I actually wasn't that far off. Let's look at the vote record:

For our analysis we can completely ignore roytheone's vote as it's after my unvote. As of post 796 (note that it's already XX:59) we have melonrabbit 2 : bronx-man 3. If I now switch from el Topo to melonrabbit, we have a tie. Even without the Barrylocke vote (I honestly don't remember exactly when I decided to start typing the unvote command), Sophia indicated she would've voted for melonrabbit at some point so there was the possibility she still would switch. There was a realistic chance of ending the day with a tie if I switched to melonrabbit especially with all the switches happening the last minute.

Now that this nonsense hopefully is dealt with on to the next post... (yeah, I'm trying to keep my promise of making more focused posts)

If you had pushed me under the bus I am sure town would have followed you. Hell, I am sure if you do it now its going to be extremely easy to get me lynched, since I have been so unhelpful.

Sawneeks

Banned

Just because it hasn't been said doesn't mean you are alone in your suspicions. He falls into the group that didn't do much on Day 1 and while some of the others from that group have spoken up more ( i.e. Dusk ) Salva did say he was still catching up. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until then because their was a significant number of posts between Day start and now.

Although I'm not sure what to make of his Barry analysis where he skipped over some major bits from that role PM.

Sophia

I joked earlier that you were being paranoid but geez are you really being paranoid. Gorlak asks you a whole bunch of questions and now you Scum read him? You keep looking over your shoulder every time someone talks to you or talks about you. It feels like you're hiding something and you're worried about letting that slip.

Which is odd considering you didn't feel the need to hide your doublevote at all.

Maybe this pressure Gorlak is putting on you is a good thing.

71813271wrof0.jpg

Waiting to see what else Royal has to say, but at the moment I disagree with Salva's opinion that Royal not voting elsewhere is "the most suspicious"

That being said, I'm not clearing Royal right now.

Sophia defense force, let's go. I will however only reply to stuff she already addressed herself if I have to add something. The last thing I want is to accidently give answers for a Scum player...

Vote: Sophia

I have no idea how she could have survived the night. A town-aligned double vote is catastrophic for scum. Less indicative of scumminess is her vote for Bronx-Man. If a doctor protected her, how did Barry die?
When was the last time you were Scum or even read a Scum chat? The last time I checked it was all avoiding doctors. Who do you think a doctor would protect? Who do you think Scum would think a doctor would protect? There, you have your answer why a low-profile person died instead of Sophia.

Also: A double-vote is almost completely irrelevant in the early game. It gets more important the closer the number of Townies gets towards the number of Scum.

Re: Sophia was a double-voter in WW1

You mean that game that completely crashed because of said Sophia who couldn't cope with the pressure? You're telling me she still has the same playstyle. I think this argument is completely bollocks. I will take note of the fact that it's not impossible that there is a Scum-aligned double voter. That means if I should come to the conclusion that Sophia behaves Scummy we have to vote her out before lylo.

The only arguments I see against Sophia right now are "Her playstyle is different" which I don't really see so far, but then I never was Town with her in the game for longer than half a day or so (Danny Phantom), and voting for Bronx-Man. So yeah, if you can convince me that a) voting for Bronx-Man is particullary scummy and b) out of all thise people is the scummiest, then I might consider it. Until then lynching Sophia who has a confirmed PR that is more likely to be Town-aligned than to be Scum-aligned is a complete "no" for me.

Melon's asking a lot of questions this day phase, but the fact that she seems interested in why nobody followed Splinter's vote in five minute window (which is seriously not a lot of time at the end of the day phase,e specially when things are chaotic) baffles me.

I wasn't serious about the Splinter vote comment. I did want to point out the parties that wanted to vote for me but choose not to for reasons...

Okay seriously, what's this whole 'well I would have voted for Melon!' thing that keeps going around? A good chunk of the Bronx voters mentioned they would have gone for Melon but didn't and now you are too.

I'm the new popular one.

SalvaPot

Hey Salva, if we were to not lynch you today, who do you think we should lynch?

Eh, I don't feel that strong about anyone right now, but I'll look into the people who don't vote for me. Usually town players are the ones who like to vote me out, since scum likes to keep me alive since I am so annoying.

I could see cutting Salva but I honestly the people I was worried about I'm less so and the people that weren't on my radar are beginning to trouble me.

Sophia

Eh, I don't feel that strong about anyone right now, but I'll look into the people who don't vote for me. Usually town players are the ones who like to vote me out, since scum likes to keep me alive since I am so annoying.

Hmm... so you've been playing this long and don't have any strong reads right now? Not even a gut read on anyone?=p

For me, a lot of things stick out, but I'm conflicted too. There's a number of people I can't get good reads on this game, and only two people stand out as particularly town are Sawneeks and to a degree Royal.

I could see cutting Salva but I honestly the people I was worried about I'm less so and the people that weren't on my radar are beginning to trouble me.

Oh?

SalvaPot

Hmm... so you've been playing this long and don't have any strong reads right now? Not even a gut read on anyone?=p

For me, a lot of things stick out, but I'm conflicted too. There's a number of people I can't get good reads on this game, and only two people stand out as particularly town are Sawneeks and to a degree Royal.

Oh?

This long? Well, its only Day 2. Sure, you guys and girls have been making a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mess and going on circles several times with your conversations, but honestly I don't feel any of you have screwed up big enough to get my tunneling going. So far only Verelios was kind enough to bite into my bullshit and he retracted way too fast for my liking, but I didn't scum read him on day 1 so I'm still doing ok.

Sophia

This long? Well, its only Day 2. Sure, you guys and girls have been making a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mess and going on circles several times with your conversations, but honestly I don't feel any of you have screwed up big enough to get my tunneling going. So far only Verelios was kind enough to bite into my bullshit and he retracted way too fast for my liking, but I didn't scum read him on day 1 so I'm still doing ok.

I think Day 2 is sufficient enough to get some decent reads and opinions on people, yes.

I'm debating if, after dinner I want to do a full reads list or not for me. It might help clear my head on stuff.

Sawneeks

Banned

That...doesn't make me feel any better about you, Sophia.

Sophia defense force, let's go. I will however only reply to stuff she already addressed herself if I have to add something. The last thing I want is to accidently give answers for a Scum player...

The only arguments I see against Sophia right now are "Her playstyle is different" which I don't really see so far, but then I never was Town with her in the game for longer than half a day or so (Danny Phantom), and voting for Bronx-Man. So yeah, if you can convince me that a) voting for Bronx-Man is particullary scummy and b) out of all thise people is the scummiest, then I might consider it. Until then lynching Sophia who has a confirmed PR that is more likely to be Town-aligned than to be Scum-aligned is a complete "no" for me.

You know, prefacing your posts with an easy backtrack isn't the best way to start your discussion.

And if the only argument you see against Sophia is that her playstyle is different then you haven't been looking, friend. What about her reason for outing her Doublevote power? Her ignoring of Darryl early on only to come back and Scum read him? Her Bronx vote? Her paranoia of everyone and everything and yet she was willing to trust you enough to vote Bronx? A couple people have been talking to her about these things and I'm trying to figure out why you didn't pick than up other than 'her playstyle is different'. :/

And yet I see no votes for melon on D2 so far.

Seriously wtf

If Melon was such a contender for the last Day phase then how come none of you have voted there? Or even made a serious case???

I'm the new popular one.

You can say that again.

Only Day 2? We have a sudden lynch on an inactive, 23 pages worth of stuff, 2 Town flips, and multiple discussions flying around. You can't have nothing.

Paging Royal, waiting for bulletin. I dislike this post because it sounds like 'Hey guys, I have an entirely new and BETTER alternative to lynch but let me get back to you tomorrow! Oh, I'm probably not going to vote in order to collate my thoughts, no worries'.
I just spent like 20 minutes reading and your posts and putting them into context. I hadn't exactly looked at you D1 at all. How exactly am i supposed to make an informed decision within 5 minutes? Right, not at all. I just put it out there in the case I got NK's. Anyway, I didn't, so I present to you...

Part III: On the subject of Verelios

I want to do this in 3 parts: early-D1, late-D1 and D2.

Early D1 is mostly a dispute with Sawneeks and not-really-helpful posts. Sawneek's vote seems to be a random vote that she later justifies by putting words into his mouth. I mean seriously, does this
Sorry about that, I meant whichever way the flip went we would learn something new, whether the person was a good pokemon or relatively freedom fighter Pokemon, trainer or Team Rocket.

Of course hitting town hurts in the long run, but first day has always seemed to me to be a gamble. I'm not averse to a day 1 lynch, I just wouldn't be put out by a no lynch.
say "We should lynch a random person on D1"? I don't think so. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the Verelios-Sawneeks dispute so I didn't catch it, but I feel Sawneeks is intentionally or not drastically misinterpreting his words.

However: Early-D1-Verelios' posts add very little to the game. They are that kind of post that seems useful at first glance but than turns out to be nothing than mechanics-talk, meta-commentary or summaries of the last few pages with little judgement and usable commentary. That's not a good thing.

The weirdness starts at late-D1: he votes for Sawneeks without really stating a reason:
Since we're being rushed to vote, I might as well answer the call and-

Vote:Sawneeks

Place a temp vote to get some discourse flowing. Don't worry, don't worry, let's clear the air.
Note that this was still around 16 hours to the deadline. I doubt anyone really rushed to vote... Also I will never understand how a "temp vote" is supposed to bring discourse. If you want discourse, don't state it's a tamp or fake vote...

Anyway, he later gives a detailed list why he voted for Sawneeks (not quoting here because it's long and its exact content not relevant for this analysis). He then tells me it was a gut-vote that he then went to justify in retrospect:
I put my initial vote down out of annoyance, but afterwards thought about why I'd be annoyed. So I went back through the thread and explained my reasoning afterwards.
I still think that is extremely weird. Anyway, the rest of late-D1 seems to focus again on this stupid RNG non-discussion with Sawneeks which I in the heat of the day-end misinterpreted as being a defense of his retrospect-explanation of the vote. Which would have made it even weirder and a lot more scummier. As that is not the case, I guess it isn't as bad as it looked to me yesterday.

Let's continue towards D2: Surprise, there actually are opinions here. However there's still a lot of stuff that sticks out in a negative way:

- For once we have the gun discussion:
Let's phrase it a different way. If you had a gun who would you shoot?

I feel so pro
This seems like an easy way to shoot myself =/
Why is he so afraid of naming his top Scum suspect. blah blah not-putting-people-into-boxes-talk aside, asking for a top scum suspect is a common question and I firmly believe that if on D2 you don't have anyone you'd rather shoot than anyone else you're a) lying, b) nor paying attention or c) Scum.

- Then there is SalvePot
Salvapot...I hadn't read into anything you've posted as weird or particularly fluffy before, but those posts come out to seem fluffy.
...Okay, I meant in context. The discussion on mechanics already passed, usually having an opinion then isn't odd, but when it passes, I consider that fluff.
which is odd af. How can you not notice Salva shitposting all day D1? I even had a short discussion about it with Gorlak. Then again, I didn't even pick up Sawneek's issue with Verelios on D1, so I wonder how hard I really can blame it for it...

- And then we have the Stanley interrogation:
He votes for Stanley because Stanley voted for Bronx-man and he wants an explanation, than this exchange happens:
Vote: StanleyPalmtree

You there mate? Going to explain keeping your vote on Bronx?
[Please note: This references one of Stanley's D1 posts]
This seems pretty disingenuous. You didn't expect your vote to go through but had no other alternatives...then why wouldn't your vote go through if others thought the same? How did Bronx catch your eye as scum anyway?
both you and sawneeks have both misunderstood me on this, i really should have made it clearer.

what i mean was i did not intend the vote to go through till lynch at the time i made it. but as of making that final post i NOW intended it to go towards bronx being lynched. i was trying to make it clear that my reasoning had changed, even if the vote hadnt (and clearly i did a bad job of that).

now as for my reasoning of wanting to lynch bronx.
i really dont like blatantly inactive play, it can likely be a cover for scum, and if not its just really bad town play. the promise of a contribution going unfulfilled even exacerbated this feeling further.
that behavior showed no signs of stopping, so i felt he was the best option to get rid of.

HOWEVER! i take some real issue with the other votes on bronxman.
you see, i voted (and left it there) on bronx when he hadnt said a damn thing, but he showed up, 1 hour and 15 minutes before the deadline. and everyone else who voted bronx out posted after this, so we know you saw it.
Fair enough, given the circumstances.

Unvote

That's all it takes? I mean, that's basically the explanation he already gave D1 (in the very post he quoted) just rephrased:
looks like my vote will be staying on bronx-man.
i didn't really intend for that vote to be going through to the lynch, i just wanted activity, but he still hasn't delivered, so in the absence of any strong scum reads my vote will be staying on him.
He's letting him off the hook very easily here...

Conclusion: Leaning Scum, but not as hard as I thought he would when I started this analysis.

Sophia

Seriously wtf

If Melon was such a contender for the last Day phase then how come none of you have voted there? Or even made a serious case???

Hold up. Why are you shifting the narrative a bit? I said I had a gut scum read of Melon, but I wasn't certain enough to vote on it. And I didn't.

The biggest thing that stands out on her is this:

Which is interesting, given she seemed pretty interested in the triangle early on.

She did however state that she's not reading any of us as scum a bit later. So I'm not sure what to think. I'm not getting clear scum or town vibes. I need to go over her reads from earlier and see if anything sticks out.

Her commentary on Ty would have bigger implications regarding her if Ty flips town at any point. Without knowing Ty's alignment it's hard to make anything of it tho.
Both of you are gut reading Melon too? Hmm...

I also didn't sit around and do nothing. After voicing my gut read, I quite clearly questioned Melon on stuff I was skeptical about.

Wait....

I never got the impression that El Topo was trying to get everyone to look at me? Where the heck did that come from, Melon?
Yeah, looking back, the only thing El Topo said about me was my backing up of LP on his post. There's nothing to support what Melon says in #447: "Attempt to turn the whole argument around and get everyone looking at Sophia"

Wanna explain yourself, Melon?
Again, if it sticks out to you, can you point it out?

You said in #447 about El Topo"Attempt to turn the whole argument around and get everyone looking at Sophia" and I don't see it. So I'd like to see specifically what you're referring to.

I also questioned El Topo on it too, which is where I got cold feet about my vote against him.

And of course my desire to discuss more of it with Splinter

*sigh*

NOW you're voting for Melon? Not 40 minutes earlier when I was suspect about her? Not when I voiced my gut read? Not when me and El Topo were having that three way conversation and I was getting cold feet?

For fucks sakes, Splinter...

Which I couldn't do as a result of the late vote there. Unfortunately, that seems to have been a real life issue on Splinter's part, so it's nobody's fault and not really related to alignment, but...

At least in my case, don't act like I suddenly concluded Melon was scum. I made it perfectly fucking clear that I was gut reading her, but hesitating because I wasn't certain.

T
You know, prefacing your posts with an easy backtrack isn't the best way to start your discussion.

And if the only argument you see against Sophia is that her playstyle is different then you haven't been looking, friend. What about her reason for outing her Doublevote power? Her ignoring of Darryl early on only to come back and Scum read him? Her Bronx vote? Her paranoia of everyone and everything and yet she was willing to trust you enough to vote Bronx? A couple people have been talking to her about these things and I'm trying to figure out why you didn't pick than up other than 'her playstyle is different'. :/
1) "backtrack": Putting things in other people's mouth is your thing this game, isn't it? I noticed in previous games that some people (including me sometimes) have the annoying habit of answering for people they think are Town, even if the questions are valid. Most notorious example was Townies (me not included) providing outs for failed-gambit-scum-Darryl. Since then I really watch myself to not give answers that the asked person is likely to still answer, even if I town-read them.

2) outing doublevote: Why would Scum Sophia do it? She had exactly 0 votes on her when she used it. That's attention. In our meta apparently attention gets puts you close to getting lynched. It's not good play regardless of alignment.
Watch her being neutral with win-condition double-vote in 5 consecutive phases

3) Triangle (or rather: Darryl): I already said on D1 that this angle is nonsense. the only thing I got from it that Darryl/Goddamn and Tyon are not both Scum.

4) Bronx vote: Why she more than *Splinter or the other 3?

5) Paranoia: You don't have to "trust" me to vote Bronx. Voting an inactive player is the universally safest thing you can do. You don't have to trust your own toes for it to be an okay-ish decision. And I already told you that I don't like the narrative that I somehow said that a Bronx vote would be a particullary good idea. I didn't. The only thing I have against Sophia is the fact she says she'd follow my suggestion by voting Bronx. That indeed kind of seems like an insurance. But not enough for me.

See, I did it again, because I was agitated... That "why would Scum Sophia double vote" is a line she should have thought of herself...

But seriously Sophia: Did I miss your explanation why your double voted or did you not bother to tell us yet? Because that would be quite interesting.

Verelios

I'm not going to address day 1 reads as I've already gone over the 'why's and what's'. But, I'm wondering what you found weird exactly and why you wouldn't just say it instead of waxing ambiguous.
Let's continue towards D2: Surprise, there actually are opinions here. However there's still a lot of stuff that sticks out in a negative way:

- For once we have the gun discussion:

Why is he so afraid of naming his top Scum suspect. blah blah not-putting-people-into-boxes-talk aside, asking for a top scum suspect is a common question and I firmly believe that if on D2 you don't have anyone you'd rather shoot than anyone else you're a) lying, b) nor paying attention or c) Scum.
You're really heated up there Flush, just because I haven't posted scum reads doesn't mean I don't have them. I stated that I disliked labeling people as scum or town so early, however scum leanings I have no problem with. And yes, the reason I'm skeptical of your Bronx vote is because your pulling out a no vote is leaning scum behavior and I haven't seen anything to go against that.
- Then there is SalvePot

which is odd af. How can you not notice Salva shitposting all day D1? I even had a short discussion about it with Gorlak. Then again, I didn't even pick up Sawneek's issue with Verelios on D1, so I wonder how hard I really can blame it for it...
I have noticed Salva's posts, early in day 1 when no one had any particularly useful posts to go on, but as I stated usually there was already mechanics/fluff being discussed so I had no problem with it. This time Salva's post occurred when there was no fluff and mechanics were pretty much over already, which I thought was pretty much a fluff post. Unless you disagree? This sounds less like an odd AF problem, and more like a shoring up manufactured problems.

- And then we have the Stanley interrogation:
He votes for Stanley because Stanley voted for Bronx-man and he wants an explanation, than this exchange happens:

That's all it takes? I mean, that's basically the explanation he already gave D1 (in the very post he quoted) just rephrased:

He's letting him off the hook very easily here...
Huh. The majority of the people on Bronx voted because of his inactivity, Stanley had a prior vote and a reason to vote again. Believable reason? Probably not. But since all 5 of the people on the BM vote gave similar safe answers what more can you ask. They're reasons you have to accept as BM's inactivity was a fact, unless you expect all 5 to be scum. Anyway, if you were really interested you'd start off by asking Stanley some hard hitting questions, instead you're teeing me off for not. This is especially ironic given you abstained from the lynch.

Conclusion: Leaning Scum, but not as hard as I thought he would when I started this analysis.
Am I supposed to be happy here? Swaying town opinion is a fun trick royal, especially when you're just advising.

*Splinter

Holy shit Flush, are you reading a different game to me?

I really don't like the narrative that it's my suggestion to vote for Bronx-Man.
I could just be misremembering in this point, but I don't remember anyone saying this? I'd say Ynnek has been getting the lion's share of the "blame".

The real deadweight we should vote before it's too late is called SalvaPot as he didn't and still doesn't show any intention to participate in this game in any meaningful way. Bronx-man was inactive, so I won't deny that it is an okay-ish vote, but the inactive that is just outright and purpousfully shitposting and unhelpful would have been the better choice. Unfortunately Gorlak seems to be the only other one thinking so. I didn't push eagerly against the Bronx-Train out of fear people might switch to Sophia who for some reason that is completely obscure to me got and still gets a lot of suspicion. As I said, Bronx was an okay-ish lynch, Sophia would've been horrible.
I'll get to your Sophia defense in a minute, but fwiw I think Salva is a PR (and no I won't point out why I think that).

It is a non answer though. You are correct in saying there isn't going to be a convoluted reason for that unvote: there is no reason for that unvote whatsoever.

I love this bit, it looks so true (and technically is) but avoids mentioning the fact that it lasted for a whopping one post (796 to 797) and that those posts came in at almost exactly the same time. It also ignores the fact that if Sophia had voted melon that would be moving her vote off of Bronx (a 2 vote swing) AND she might have (should have) used her double.

Subtle

When was the last time you were Scum or even read a Scum chat? The last time I checked it was all avoiding doctors. Who do you think a doctor would protect? Who do you think Scum would think a doctor would protect? There, you have your answer why a low-profile person died instead of Sophia.

Also: A double-vote is almost completely irrelevant in the early game. It gets more important the closer the number of Townies gets towards the number of Scum.
(This part is reasonable, if a bit absolutist about scum's motivations. That was a bad post by LP).

Re: Sophia was a double-voter in WW1

You mean that game that completely crashed because of said Sophia who couldn't cope with the pressure? You're telling me she still has the same playstyle. I think this argument is completely bollocks.
This is the part that really blew my mind. Literally noone is saying this, WW1 was only brought up as an example of a scum double vote existing. The fact that the scum double vote was Sophia would be nothing more than an amusing coincidence.

I haven't had time to read your Verelios case yet, but with this (and my gut feelings from yesterday) I'm feeling pretty confident about this vote:

VOTE: Royal_Flush

BONUS ROUND

I haven't really gotten around to melon yet today but yes I still think she is scum. I've also been suspicious of Blarg (I'm used to him not making sense but can usually tell he has opinions even if he won't share them, not getting that feeling this game). For a fun little exercise, try listing the interactions between Flush, melon and Blarg.

Hint:
tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

*Splinter

I do remember saying that my decision to vote Bronx was my own.

Hmm...
"Hmm" nothing. Reading Flush's most recent posts reminded me that you did say you were following his suggestion at some point.

It's not hugely relevant though, it's been an extremely minor talking point (to the extent that I completely forgot it) and several people have mentioned Ynnek's vote as the most suspicious, so Flush is feeling undue pressure on this point.

Sophia

"Hmm" nothing. Reading Flush's most recent posts reminded me that you did say you were following his suggestion at some point.

It's not hugely relevant though, it's been an extremely minor talking point (to the extent that I completely forgot it) and several people have mentioned Ynnek's vote as the most suspicious, so Flush is feeling undue pressure on this point.

Indeed, he seemed townish in D1, but now I'm having doubts after going back and fourth over Day 2.

I'm looking over his Verelios argument now. I do wish to counter one point now

The weirdness starts at late-D1: he votes for Sawneeks without really stating a reason:

Note that this was still around 16 hours to the deadline. I doubt anyone really rushed to vote... Also I will never understand how a "temp vote" is supposed to bring discourse. If you want discourse, don't state it's a tamp or fake vote...

Darryl and a few others (myself included) were emphasizing putting a vote down near the end of Day 1. I'm going to check in a few minutes, but was this vote after that? If so, it explains the "rushed vote"

*Splinter

1) "backtrack": Putting things in other people's mouth is your thing this game, isn't it? I noticed in previous games that some people (including me sometimes) have the annoying habit of answering for people they think are Town, even if the questions are valid. Most notorious example was Townies (me not included) providing outs for failed-gambit-scum-Darryl. Since then I really watch myself to not give answers that the asked person is likely to still answer, even if I town-read them.

2) outing doublevote: Why would Scum Sophia do it? She had exactly 0 votes on her when she used it. That's attention. In our meta apparently attention gets puts you close to getting lynched. It's not good play regardless of alignment.

3) Triangle (or rather: Darryl): I already said on D1 that this angle is nonsense. the only thing I got from it that Darryl/Goddamn and Tyon are not both Scum.

5) Paranoia: You don't have to "trust" me to vote Bronx. Voting an inactive player is the universally safest thing you can do. You don't have to trust your own toes for it to be an okay-ish decision. And I already told you that I don't like the narrative that I somehow said that a Bronx vote would be a particullary good idea. I didn't. The only thing I have against Sophia is the fact she says she'd follow my suggestion by voting Bronx. That indeed kind of seems like an insurance. But not enough for me.
2) Sophia was a major topic of the day with a ton of suspicion on her, and a very possible lynch target. Revealing her PR early persuades people to vote elsewhere and avoids the more obvious accusations of scumminess that come with a late reveal. This play makes absolute sense for scum Sophia, more so than for town Sophia in fact.

4) I don't really have a problem with a Bronx vote, but it isn't hard to argue that she had more opportunity to change the lynch target than me or Roy. Especially if she had used her double vote, as she should have.

I don't have a problem with the Bronx vote, I have some problem with her not making the melon vote, although she claims she just wasn't sure enough.

5) This is true, but doesn't answer the accusation that she has been "paranoid" this game. She also trusted you enough to explicitly state that she was following your advice, which is quite different to simply voting an inactive.

*Splinter

Hold up. Why are you shifting the narrative a bit? I said I had a gut scum read of Melon, but I wasn't certain enough to vote on it. And I didn't.

I also didn't sit around and do nothing. After voicing my gut read, I quite clearly questioned Melon on stuff I was skeptical about.

I also questioned El Topo on it too, which is where I got cold feet about my vote against him.

And of course my desire to discuss more of it with Splinter

Which I couldn't do as a result of the late vote there. Unfortunately, that seems to have been a real life issue on Splinter's part, so it's nobody's fault and not really related to alignment, but...

At least in my case, don't act like I suddenly concluded Melon was scum. I made it perfectly fucking clear that I was gut reading her, but hesitating because I wasn't certain.
Nah Sawneeks is right, melon hasn't had as much attention as she deserves this phase.

Personally I just haven't gotten around to her yet, but I don't need to pull excuses out of my ass to justify that.

Sawneeks

Banned
Getting back to the influx of posts, give me a bit.

Indeed, he seemed townish in D1, but now I'm having doubts after going back and fourth over Day 2.

I'm looking over his Verelios argument now. I do wish to counter one point now

Darryl and a few others (myself included) were emphasizing putting a vote down near the end of Day 1. I'm going to check in a few minutes, but was this vote after that? If so, it explains the "rushed vote
"

It was. It was why I never called the vote out because it was right after Darryl's 'everyone put something down' post and Verelios even claimed it to be a placeholder at the time he posted.

Ty4on

[...]
[...]
sophia (3)
ty4on 96
fireblend 232 (374)
*splinter 237 (459)
christina mackenzie 400 (673)
blargonaut 711
bronx-man 799

06a11e277d6f0c78eea30e3cecf53de7.png

Sawneeks

Banned
Breaking these up because I get off of work in a half hour and I'm not sure what I can get to in that time before I have to leave.

Early D1 is mostly a dispute with Sawneeks and not-really-helpful posts. Sawneek's vote seems to be a random vote that she later justifies by putting words into his mouth. I mean seriously, does this

say "We should lynch a random person on D1"? I don't think so. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the Verelios-Sawneeks dispute so I didn't catch it, but I feel Sawneeks is intentionally or not drastically misinterpreting his words.

My point against Verelios on Day 1 was that he brought up an idea he wasn't willing to argue for and then spent most of Day 1 talking with me instead of scum hunting. He then goes off and gives a cursory look elsewhere to the Trio, which I called as it being 'safe', and gives some half-hearted shade at Dusk.

I never said I wanted him lynched for his idea. I said multiple times that his idea was not alignment indicative, it was inability to argue for it and never giving a real reason as to why he even brought it up in the first place. To me it felt like Scum bringing up something to talk about that they didn't believe in and then couldn't explain properly why when questioned about it.

I wasn't specifically talking about you ( it was more of a collective of a few people including yourself ) when I made that post, although I'm taking a note that this is what got your feathers all ruffled.

What I'm saying with that post is that there were a shocking number of people who thought about voting for Melon yet did not and now, Day 2, no one has voted for Melon or put forth anything serious against her. It strikes me as odd that a handful of folks clearly thought about it and yet the topic started to shift away from her despite that.

Ty4on

Too tired to really analyze these megapost T_T

Flush' was a little, empty, so I understand Splinter's vote. I think.

Goddamn has posted like twice? Could the Americans keep him company as he's supposed to wake up around now?

CM also didn't have a vote at D1 end. Curious as to what your reads are now.

Sawneeks

Banned

1. If you are worried about that then why not let Sophia defend herself? From what I've seen of her previous games she is more than capable of doing that on her own.

2. I can't really answer you there. I don't necessarily see a Town reason for doing what she did either unless she was being completely honest about her reason, in which case I simply disagree with why she did it.

3. Trio/Triangle/whatever and its' angle are a whole different debate, I'm talking about the early post where Ty called out Sophia and then Darryl swoops in to attack Ty. Sophia ignores it and talks to Hyper instead. That isn't odd to you?

4. I said earlier that all the reasons for voting Bronx were terrible, I was just responding to you about Sophia in particular. I don't like any of those votes.

5. Nobody ever said you thought Bronx was a good lynch? Where are you getting that?

Excuse you, that's my line. I even copyrighted it.

That'll be $10, please.

In reviewing my notes, there are definitely people I'd love to hear more from regarding their current thoughts on the game.

Fireblend
Dusk
Ferret
Ynnek
and The G.

Step up, don't be shy.

Fireblend

Banned
I was super tired/busy today. I'm all caught up, but honestly not coming up with much in the way of reads or insights on the game. If there's something that sticks out to me thus far is how little heat those who ended up not voting on D1 are getting; CM, Flush and Ferret. All three of them I consider experienced enough players that they'd know to have a vote on someone by day's end.

Flush did attempt to provide an explanation, at least, but so far neither CM nor Ferret have referred to why they didn't have a vote despite having already showed up after the day began. I'm particularly worried about CM, these are some really fluffy posts for day 2 IMO:

Lady Gaga?! What is rating is this game on the Crab scale?
Mafia PTSD is real.
(Worth noting that the second one is a reply to an equally fluffy post by Sawneeks though that did contain some actual game-related questions)

I've played with CM before and I honestly don't remember him being this insecure? The rest of his posts are mechanics and Sophia's doble-vote-related, so I'm looking forward to his next posts considering both of those topics seem to have died down for now.

Ferret I still should look at more closely, but a shallow inspection of his last posts make me think he was at least looking for questions to ask, which is good overall but I'd still like something on his lack of end-of-day votes.

I also owe the thread a re-read for Melon-related stuff since that seems to be a popular topic, I don't have more insight on the Bronx voters than what's already been discussed but I'm also keeping an eye on them, speaking of, I'm still wary of Ynnek of whom I already spoke of in my previous post. I hope he can refer to that whenever he decides to show up next.

In reviewing my notes, there are definitely people I'd love to hear more from regarding their current thoughts on the game.

Fireblend
Dusk
Ferret
Ynnek
and The G.

Step up, don't be shy.

Sorry I've been rereading and working on a big stupid read list for a while (still not finished) (also why I haven't addressed post directed at me, I'll get to that stuff when I'm done with what I'm doing, but don't hold your breath). Current thoughts in summary though

Asking "why Barry" is an easy pointless conversation, I would know as the master of easy pointless conversations. I know I'm late on the matter but really it's just such an obvious question that will always be answered with, "well he was a safe choice for scum", and "he did say these people were scummy/voted for these people what do you think of that" which is answered with oh it's just too obvious".

LP would be more useful if he used his amazing ability to bring up obvious things everyone else overlooked/just don't bother mentioning on other people and not just me (he can still talk about me, it's like I have a fan who hates me and scrutinizes my work constantly). Anything else noteworthy LP, or do you only watch this series for the Furrets?

I want to know why you Melon, as president of the Don't Mention Sophia Fan Club, hasn't chimed in on the previous discussion about her role and claim and potential scummness.

OK now before I go back to doing this pointless thing I was doing I'll answer the burning question of why no vote from Ferret so it can added to the list of why Ferret is likely scum. I didn't feel like it. No one was particularly scummy, and while I understand the reason people vote for inactives and dead weight, I personally don't like doing it because it feels like a lazy cop out of a way for people to thin the herd and get weak reads.I thought about voting CM and already explained why I didn't (and will again when done with this list thing) I also considered voting no lynch, especially when Darryl did, but then Darryl switched off and Royal made his whole "no lynch is not an option" post, so I thought "why even bother, the result will be the same regardless they'll just put me as no vote instead of no lynch". There now you can all stop asking about that and add it to whatever data/read you have.

Top Bottom