• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

LSV's top 10 constructed:

s3BJlpf.gif

Gotta say, I have to agree with this list.

My deck has four of the top ten.

I'm surprised to see Bomat Courier on that list. I figured it was better than many were saying during its reveal, but not that good. I suppose it comes down to the fact that people are leaving behind less blockers; previously cards like Thraben Inspector would stay on defense, but now they're crewing vehicles, for instance.

Ashodin

I'm surprised to see Bomat Courier on that list. I figured it was better than many were saying during its reveal, but not that good. I suppose it comes down to the fact that people are leaving behind less blockers; previously cards like Thraben Inspector would stay on defense, but now they're crewing vehicles, for instance.

It's absolutely amazing in the RB madness deck. It's really come into its own.

Surprised that he didn't include the Fastland cycle or Aether Hub, but his top 2 nonlands are the same as mine and he has Reuinion at about the same spot.

And yeah, Bomat is nuts.

Yeah, I really can't disagree with the top 10. Ceremonious Rejection is an interesting choice for inclusion but it's obviously extremely powerful in older formats and seems potentially playable in Standard since it will do something useful in a fair number of match ups. It's quite good against emerge or vehicle heavy decks.

Santiako

I love Bomat Courier. Raging Goblin was one of my favourites when I started playing and this one is all upsides (except not being a goblin).

That UW Panharmicon deck on r/spikes is fun. Not sure if its good. The dude did 4-0 a pretty competitive store though.

Double triggers on reflector mage and though knot feels disgusting.

My LGS is running a Frontier format (M15 and forward) tournament tomorrow night. I've still got all my cards from then. What are some broken things that adding M15 can do? It's basically last month's format with M15, Khans, and Fate Reforged added.

I've identified these cards as significant from M15:
Lightning Strike
Stoke the Flames
Elvish Mystic
Satyr Wayfinder
Chord of Calling
Urborg
Ensoul Artifact
And Tormod's Crypt as our only form of graveyard hate in the format.

The obvious builds are
Rally the Ancestors with maybe adding Prized Amalgam
Boss Red with maybe Hanwier Garrison replacing Gobline Rabblemaster
Abzan Rhino
Jeskai Ascendency
GW Devotion subbing in Cryptolith Rites for Nykthos. Selfless Spirit as a 4-of.
Delirium adding Satyr Wayfinder over some of the hot garbage like Gather the Pack

Anyone got any fun ideas for the format? I'm leaning toward Boss Red if I want to win. GW Devotion if I want to have more fun than winning.

MoxManiac

My LGS is running a Frontier format (M15 and forward) tournament tomorrow night. I've still got all my cards from then. What are some broken things that adding M15 can do? It's basically last month's format with M15, Khans, and Fate Reforged added.

Lightning Strike
Stoke the Flames
Elvish Mystic
Satyr Wayfinder
Chord of Calling
Urborg
Ensoul Artifact

The obvious builds are
Abzan Rhino
Jeskai Ascendency
Delirium adding Satyr Wayfinder over some of the hot garbage like Gather the Pack

Anyone got any fun ideas for the format? I'm leaning toward Boss Red if I want to win. GW Devotion if I want to have more fun than winning.

Sounds like Collective Company: the format.

Lightning Strike
Stoke the Flames
Elvish Mystic
Satyr Wayfinder
Chord of Calling
Urborg
Ensoul Artifact

The obvious builds are
Abzan Rhino
Jeskai Ascendency

Maybe I'm just overthinking, but the format has Creature Tutors in Green. Maybe GB Sac splashing White for Displacer? I mean, M15 also has Ornithopter, which is 2/4ths of Delirium active when it hits the yard.

Man, I don't like the idea of the Frontier format. I get it because the new card frame is an easy marker but I do like the Theros and RTR cards and it just misses them :-(

Also, Frontier was already an existing MTG format.

At least there's somewhere you can still play 4 copies of Dig Though Time, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The quick math on the numbers WOTC released suggests that Treasure Chests are an EV increase over the previous model, its just that the Play Points are probably worth nothing to a bot.

Oh yeah, for at least the next year, or until some valid graveyard hate is printed, the format is probably gonna be hot garbage. Still looking forward to brewing around with it.

Mastery of the Unseen, Whisperwood Elemental, Cryptolith Rights is powerful. Finishers? Either Felidar Sovereign or Aetherflux Reservoir.

Hero

I said as soon as she was revealed while a powerful card, she's only going to be as good as the quality of the other red cards in the format (which is shitty).

Yeah, new Chandra is still a very good card. It's just it's not clear what decks, if any, she belongs in at the moment. She's also a bit weird in that she's more of a broad utility walker rather than one with a specific game plan in mind. All of her abilities are kind of doing their own thing and they're all kind of "gain a marginal advantage" style, which isn't ideal in a meta that still needs to adjust to dealing with vehicles (copter especially). Compare to other walkers like new Nissa, who only needs to be protected for one turn before her emblem can give you massive card advantage or can just regrow something, Lili, who can get stuff into your graveyard while fetching a creature back immediately, Nahiri, who can actually kill vehicles, can loot, and who gains loyalty quickly, and Gideon, who can just emblem, etc.

I said as soon as she was revealed while a powerful card, she's only going to be as good as the quality of the other red cards in the format (which is shitty).

I mean we're basing this in part on her poor performance at an event that was heavy with black/red decks so I think it's a little more complex than that.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";219025706]Man, I don't like the idea of the Frontier format.[/QUOTE]

It's a bad idea. Like, it's basically the fucking later-era Extended format that everyone hated.

Generally speaking new formats are always a bad idea unless you can offer a clear, coherent description of what new thing they bring to the table or audience they satisfy. Modern did that very effectively from day one; this doesn't come close.

Santiako

Really nifty discovery by a reddit user:

Ludevic description added to Innistrad Page Legendary Card Slider (Coming in C16?)

sPn7UPy.jpg

It also links to Multiverse ID 420654, which is not currently a valid card. C16 Ludavic seems increasingly likely.
[EDIT] The last valid Multiverse ID is currently 420617, the Kaladesh Inventions Sword of Light and Shadow. This would put the potential Ludevic card at #37. With 56 new cards, assuming ~5-6 for each color, that would place it smack in the middle of the multicolored cards. We know there are four foiled commander cards in each deck, though it's unclear if that includes the oversized card or not. Curiouser and curiouser.

We might have a 4 colour Ludevic coming in Commander 2016.

Firemind

After yesterday's trainwreck, I had a go at it again (p1p1 Kiki-Jiki): ZERO pestermites and co. I was pretty salty at that point, but apparently I still had a deck that could 3-0. Turns out deploying threats when you have free counterspells is pretty good.

I don't know why but nobody expects Daze.

jph139

Really nifty discovery by a reddit user:

I could buy Ludevic as Grixis, combining mad science and necromancy, but a fourth color would be a stretch. Maybe Green, UG gets Dr. Moreau stuff now and then.

Maybe he'll be monoblue with an activated ability for each of the other three... making different tokens or something.

I hate the idea of 4 color cards.

Eh, I think there's potential for a very limited number of 4 colour cards to be interesting but I don't really see commanders as the place for them. I think they'd need to be "Splash for this" whereas commanders are "Play this as a combination of the card itself and the colours it provides access to" which is basically the exact opposite.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Wild idea. What are your thoughts on a potential four color commanders with Meld? Since the only meld card that can be a commander is Brisela, the rules for meld commanders and color identity weren't affected as much.

But what if they introduced 4 colored Meld Commanders? Potential solution?

Almost certainly do. I think the only question is whether it's actually 4-color -- this year's decks are supposed to contain 4 legends each, so it's possible one of them in each is fewer colors.

Or -- I just thought of this -- maybe in each deck it's one ABCD commander, one commander that gets to 4 colors via a combination of colors and mana symbols in the text box, and then a pair of 2-color legends with a new ability that lets them use both as your commander.

I hate the idea of 4 color cards.

k.

Santiako

Yeah, since this time we're getting 4! new commanders in each deck, I'm sure we'll see a combination of proper nephilim 4 colour cost, hybrid costs and abilities of different colours.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People need to stop letting me win with this:

Deck: GW Tokens
w.gif
g.gif

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Canopy Vista
5 Forest
4 Fortified Village
6 Plains

//Spells
2 Declaration in Stone
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
2 Skywhaler's Shot
4 Smuggler's Copter

//Creatures
2 Archangel Avacyn
4 Fairgrounds Warden
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Sylvan Advocate
2 Thraben Inspector
2 Tireless Tracker
3 Verdurous Gearhulk

//Sideboard
2 Fumigate
1 Quarantine Field
2 Declaration in Stone
3 Stasis Snare
4 Natural State
3 Aerial Responder

Display deck statistics

It's not very exciting but it wins a lot, and that's without any Westvales. Hell, I bet I could dump Oviya in place of Thraben Inspector.

Angry Grimace

Almost certainly do. I think the only question is whether it's actually 4-color -- this year's decks are supposed to contain 4 legends each, so it's possible one of them in each is fewer colors.

Or -- I just thought of this -- maybe in each deck it's one ABCD commander, one commander that gets to 4 colors via a combination of colors and mana symbols in the text box, and then a pair of 2-color legends with a new ability that lets them use both as your commander.

k.

I just can't grasp how they'd have a mechanical identity that's interesting, unless they're dual colored with hybrid activation costs of some kind.

The other problem is that when they try to engineer "good for commander" cards they sometimes pull out bullshit like Derevi.

Ashodin

It's not very exciting but it wins a lot, and that's without any Westvales. Hell, I bet I could dump Oviya in place of Thraben Inspector.

This deck can have* a pretty bad matchup vs mine, just played several series vs. it. It has very bad problems dealing with things instantly, I had it holding Skywhaler's Shot in hand the entire time I had out Selfless Spirit.

(depending on draws and combos of course, I had some matches go wild with counters yuck!)

I just can't grasp how they'd have a mechanical identity that's interesting, unless they're dual colored with hybrid activation costs of some kind.

It is hard to make pure four-color cards conceptually coherent, yes, though if they only have to do one of each there are ways to manage it. I think cards that use mana abilities (like a WU legend with a GB ability) could be pretty coherent though, and if they did something like my silly two-cards-together idea that could also be pretty comprehensible.

The other problem is that when they try to engineer "good for commander" cards they sometimes pull out bullshit like Derevi.

They have gotten a lot better at this overall, but yes the 2013 decks were a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom