• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My sideboard strategy for Dredge is siding in Leyline of the Void and mulling to 0.

Ban:
Grave-Troll, Stinkweed Imp, Become Immense, Simian Spirit Guide

Banning all Dredge above 4 makes Cathartic Reunion have a max of Dredge 12, not Dredge 18.

Become Immense is just stupid, kill it with fire.

SSG just enables too much shit. Sorry Ad Nasauem, but the card is only used to go "Oops, I win/Virtually win(Blood Moon on Turn 1 is an auto lose for most decks)

Unban:
StoneForge Mystic, Preordain/Ponder(Just one)

Mystic has only B-Skull and Swords to get, Wizards doesn't push equipment, and the Card sucks when you draw more then the amount of equipment you run.

One of the cantrips wouldn't break blue, and it's kind of stupid that Blue has worse card selection then Blue.
#MakeModernGreatAgain

Anyone here playing zombies in STD?

Kinda love the deck, but wondering if I shouldnt just run UW flash for GP denver

Been running RB pariah zombies since a week before the pro tour. It's got a solid match up against kill and counter decks with inevitability. The only things I worry about out of UW flash is stasis snare are dec in stone. The only things I worry about from BG delirium are lost legacy/pick the brain out of the board and a quick emrakul. Nothing else those two decks do scare me.

RW humans/vehicles/tokens is the real challenge for that deck. They'll kill you before you can get set up.

The sac 3 "sweeper" out of the deck is really powerful but you only can use it 4 times. Also, board into something more honest, like a Kalitas/Olivia/removal package for when they try to snipe your combo. Ghirapur Orrery out of the board for grindy matches is amazing too. They'll draw some cards off it occasionally, but you'll almost always get double the triggers they do. And you use the cards more efficiently between haunted dead and crypt breaker activations.

For a pptq or whatever, this deck can be a great meta read.

Wulfric

Lmao, $38,400 for six land arts from Guay? That makes Chris Rahn's planeswalker auctions look cheap! No wonder WotC is loath to commission her. I had no idea she was that big of a deal in the fine art world.

ucStxST.png

An-Det

I didn't even realize they also streamed to Youtube. Shame though, I totally would have used that instead. Twitch really needs to add background/phone off playing like Youtube has.

Their slush art must be Fuckin HUGE

According to the art directors it actually used to be much, much larger and they've pared it way down. The boom of supplemental sets has given them way more outlets for slush art than they had when every card had to match a pre-defined setting. Flamekin Village is a good recent example.

Lmao, $38,400 for six land arts from Guay? That makes Chris Rahn's planeswalker auctions look cheap! No wonder WotC is loath to commission her.

Humorously, she got into fine art heavily after they dumped her from Magic, and the result was significantly upping her price.

Eh. Youtube is overall the better streaming video service but Twitch is a much better fit for what they're actually trying to accomplish (and Youtube would never have cut a sponsorship deal.)

I didn't even realize they also streamed to Youtube. Shame though, I totally would have used that instead. Twitch really needs to add background/phone off playing like Youtube has.

They... have that? https://blog.twitch.tv/a-new-persistent-player-for-mobile-ed23b61efa9d#.km9aru822

Firemind

japan are currently 0-4 in the world magic cup

taiwan are currently 4-0 and playing jund, boggles and infect in unified modern

the true villains

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think "eliminate Dredge as a deck" is a good goal at all. You want to hurt it enough that it wins slower and/or less often, not eliminate the archetype.

They have eliminated decks in the past. Dont see why dredge is special in this regard.

bigkrev

japan are currently 0-4 in the world magic cup

taiwan are currently 4-0 and playing jund, boggles and infect in unified modern

the true villains

I've been really excited to see how teams would approach the deck constraints of Unified Modern- what Inkmoth Nexus deck do they play? What deck gets Path? How do the sideboards get selected?

LSV "I talked to USA. Their strategy was "guy who's played Grixis Delver forever is playing Grixis Delver, and we are building 2 other decks around that constraint"

Santiako

I've been really excited to see how teams would approach the deck constraints of Unified Modern- what Inkmoth Nexus deck do they play? What deck gets Path? How do the sideboards get selected?

LSV "I talked to USA. Their strategy was "guy who's played Grixis Delver forever is playing Grixis Delver, and we are building 2 other decks around that constraint"

My first impulse would be to use a bolt deck, a path deck and an inkmoth deck.

They have eliminated decks in the past. Dont see why dredge is special in this regard.

Dredge isn't particularly broken, and dredge isn't made by any single card. There's not really one card you ban to kill it. I'd imagine they just re-ban grave troll if at all.

The problem is that dredge coming to prominence overloads available sideboard options. People don't have enough sideboard to deal with affinity, dredge, tron, eldrazi, and all the rest of the decks. Overloading sideboards has been an issue with modern for such a long time that we've had people like LSV seriously suggesting that modern SBs be bumped to 20 cards.

Obviously having powerful answers in the format is the best solution, but that's not happening quickly. Something that addresses some of the symptoms would be actually banning something out of affinity, so that there isn't one default deck that you're always having to pack hate for. If SBs can handle say 3 major archetypes, having affinity always taking up 1 slot for being obviously powerful, then that limits how many other decks the format can handle before breaking again. But banning anything in affinity would make a lot of people pick up their ball and go home, even if it is just cranial plating.

A more prudent answer would be to give blue back ANYTHING. Ponder? Preordain? Dig through time? Any one of these would do wonders for blue in the format. There's a combination of ban and unbans that can solve the current situation, its just a matter of which combination to go with.

OnPoint

. A more prudent answer would be to give blue back ANYTHING. Ponder? Preordain? Dig through time? Any one of these would do wonders for blue in the format. There's a combination of ban and unbans that can solve the current situation, its just a matter of which combination to go with.
They won't unban Dig. Come on.

To be fair to Dig Through Time, it was banned specifically because they wanted to break up what Modern had become before the Pro Tour showcased the format, and the concern was that if they just banned Treasure Cruise, those decks would just slot in Dig and keep on going. Also, Dig Through Time was the best card in the best deck at the time - Splinter Twin - which is no longer a deck.

To be realistic though, like who in their right mind thinks that Dig is somehow safe in Modern when it's banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage? Like holy cow guys. Delve is the second most broken keyword in Magic behind Storm.

EDIT: Oh this Dryad Arbor situation is awkward.

Santiako

Aw yiss big ass troll. Fuck that Yapor guy, trying to screw the other guy of bloodghasts and then keeping an arbor that shouldn't be there.

To be realistic though, like who in their right mind thinks that Dig is somehow safe in Modern when it's banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage? Like holy cow guys. Delve is the second most broken keyword in Magic behind Storm.

There was a period where dig was legal in legacy while cruise wasn't. It was banned because omni-show became too much of a thing. Having played and profited from dig during that meta, to the best of my knowledge it wasn't exactly running rampant. Delver lists ran 0-2 digs, precisely because double blue is harder to hit. Funny to note that miracles has actually increased its meta share since dig was banned, miracles also ran 0-2.

I find dig to be a far more likely, and effective, unban than say JTMS. Jace would get unbanned, become the most expensive card in the format, then do nothing in it because it's too slow. Dig would at least do something while not becoming particularly expensive.

I'm surprised that for Team Unified Modern that there's been no Merfolk/Affinity/Dredge/Ad Nasauem(from what I've seen). I mean, those decks barely overlap with any other decks in terms of cards played.

bigkrev

I'm surprised that for Team Unified Modern that there's been no Merfolk/Affinity/Dredge/Ad Nasauem(from what I've seen). I mean, those decks barely overlap with any other decks in terms of cards played.

Affinity and Infect overlap (Inkmoth is too important in both decks to be replaced), Merfolk just seems too slow and weak against all the hyperfast decks in the format, and Dredge and Jund compete for the same manabase.

The other thing to note is that a lot of these players aren't Pro Tour calibur/GPT8 calibur players. You had to win the equivalent of an old-school PTQ (functionally double elimination swiss and you need to win the T8 to get anything) to make the team, and these are the kinds of people who don't have experience with every deck, who can't justifiy taking a week or more off of work to practice before the tournament, who don't have 6+ hours each night to play on MTGO. The average player on these teams (who isn't a national champion) is closer to being the best FNM player at your local store than they are to being Owen Turtenwald. Most of these players probably are familiar with one or 2 Modern decks that they regularly play, so that's what they are going to try and play at this tournament.

It's almost always a bad idea to destroy a deck if you can avoid it. There's a couple exceptions: you don't want to keep a deck around if it's just fundamentally miserable in some way decoupled from its power; you also might just need to kill a deck if you tried to weaken it and didn't have enough effect to unfuck the format, or there are no cards that could weaken that deck without hurting others, leaving only stuff that will completely kill it. Generally though, killing decks completely makes a lot of players upset and has undesirable consequences on the metagame and secondary market.

Delve is the second most broken keyword in Magic behind Storm.

Nah, dredge is still worse. Delve is down in the "orange alert" category with Phyrexian mana and Cascade because it's actually easy to design balanced delve cards -- like people play Gurmag Anglers but it's hardly a format-shaking card -- and it's just certain types of effects that shouldn't get massive price reduction mechanics. You can't actually print a non-pointless but non-broken Dredge card.

EDIT: Oh this Dryad Arbor situation is awkward.

Just from a physical-design-of-the-cards perspective, FTV Dryad Arbor is the worst mistake they've ever made by a big margin (followed some way back by not watermarking allies in BFZ.) They should honestly ban it completely from high-level play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom