• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco censors Tales of Berseria despite insisting they won't

Taruranto

Xenoblade sucks, though. Monolithsoft hasn't made a good game since Xenosaga Episode III, 10 years ago.

This thread reminded me I haven't played ep III in over a year. The problem is that I always get depressed after it.

Man, what a fucking masterpiece of a game.

Parfait

You could try, perhaps, looking at the design from a female perspective. Empathy goes a long way.

I would love for guys to be able to see the problems with a lot of female character designs like this one, but alas.

She's somewhat scantily clad in some unreasonable anime clothing, I figured out that much. What else is wrong with her? Is she a shit character in the game? A bad tales character lead? The beginning and the unfortunate end of a female-lead Tales character revolution?

smh she's not even my type and I'm more interested in what's wrong with her as a character than if her titty pop out of that living clothing malfunction. It's a dumb edgy clothing design but that's not all she is.

she's not even the only fashion disaster in the game
0RVixVw.jpg
< - the fuck is THAT

This is why we need Lightning,

TheFatMan

As long as they don't start censoring characters outfits and shit I'm good.

I never understood Japans insistence on censoring the shit out of this stuff. It's not like this game is being designed for young kids...god damn.

PKrockin

Well that title seems like a lie, by the OP quote they never promised anything other than the protagonist. Just said they know fans want the same thing Japan got and the company considers it ideal.

As long as they don't start censoring characters outfits and shit I'm good.

I never understood Japans insistence on censoring the shit out of this stuff. It's not like this game is being designed for young kids...god damn.
You're MORE concerned about censoring outfits than something that apparently affects the story (I'm not clicking the spoilers explaining it, I'm looking forward to the game)?

Xenoblade sucks, though. Monolithsoft hasn't made a good game since Xenosaga Episode III, 10 years ago.

This thread reminded me I haven't played ep III in over a year. The problem is that I always get depressed after it.

Man, what a fucking masterpiece of a game.

??????????????????????????

I mean, I like Xenosaga III. In fact, I like it quite a bit.

But that game has some incredibly large flaws.

chrono01

The hell? In some ways, the censored version looks even worse. Sure, the villain doesn't physically impale the kid as he does in the Japanese version, but the child is still (seemingly) pierced, this time at multiple points (that somewhat resembles a cross). I...don't understand this at all. It seems so unnecessary, and definitely detracts from the original, considering how straight and to-the-point (if you'll forgive the pun) it was.

I really hope this wasn't the only edit made, but considering how dark the game apparently is (from reading the OT for the Japanese release), I'm now worried. :/

duckroll

That game was great. Too bad they didn't get to make a sequel or something that covered other sagas after that.

It's probably because poor Honne is now stuck supervising artists in Monolithsoft Kyoto who just help with art assets in Nintendo games. :(

:(

T_T

Korigama

I very much meant what I said.
Probably means that because XS bombed and Monolith got sold to Nintendo, we got Xenoblade as a result. Which is well, way better.
That is indeed what I was getting at.
But Xenosaga is gone. Not sure how that is the best outcome.
As much as I tried to like Xenosaga, it was a franchise that collapsed under the weight of its own ambition. Infighting between members of the team led to development issues as early as the second game in what was intended to be a six-part story, and what was produced lacked focus and was needlessly convoluted. Having things leaning so heavily toward cutscenes over gameplay didn't help, either. If I were to describe it, it was a series where it felt like Takahashi and crew took every single idea that they brainstormed for it and threw it in, rather than cutting things down to what was actually necessary.

Ultimately, Xenoblade wound up finding a much better balance between story and gameplay, and that new beginning was made possible thanks only to Xenosaga falling through and the developer becoming part of Nintendo, so I do honestly believe that that was the best possible outcome (certainly much better than the studio being sold off and then just fading away as some feared it might at the time). Admittedly though, I'm not too confident in the future for Xenoblade thanks to Xenoblade X going in the opposite direction of Xenosaga by heavily de-emphasizing story and characterization in favor of prioritizing open world elements and questing, so I'll be waiting to see how they react to the feedback they received for it.

If I were to compare, Falcom have been more successful in realizing an ambitious JRPG franchise spanning interconnected games one after another through Trails, all while switching between different casts as the story moved forward (as Xenosaga had once intended) and even accounting for giant robots too.

mugwhump

I wonder if this was in response to actual feedback from the ESRB or if this was preemptive on Bamco's part.

Disappointment aside I think this is a really funny development from what they intended to be the debut of their english dub.

Like they could have chosen any other scene lol. But they chose this one and it completely derailed the reveal.

I didn't even realize they were revealing their dub until you posted that, lol

kromeo

I'm really sad that people are boycotting this game because of the (shitty) censor. This is a great game, one of the best in the series. The Tales series is returning to its good form with this game and people refuse to buy it. Really bad decision on Bamco side

I'm not defending games being changed but it's more important to me to support something that's at real risk of dying out

Official statement

https://t.co/vfbJD6ZoLN

Dear Tales of Community,

We read about your concerns regarding some changes between the Japanese and the Western versions of Tales of Berseria, the next game from the Tales Of series to be released on January 27th 2017 on Playstation 4 and PC.

In the western game footage released on December 8th (https://youtu.be/TLbdbwjtxZ8), you discovered a scene that has been reworked compared to the original Japanese game.

As a company, Bandai Namco Entertainment has to follow the regional regulations regarding video games content to allow the games to be released with appropriate rating. The violence depicted in the original Japanese scene in Tales of Berseria would not allow us to keep our current 16 rating. A major change in our rating wouldn&#8217;t have allowed to share the game with as many fans as we&#8217;d like and it would have prevented us many opportunities to show the game on social networks, websites and even during events. Therefore, instead of deleting the sequence, we decided to rework a portion of the scene to keep its importance in the story. We&#8217;ve ensured its impact in the story is the same. Even if the exact actions are different, their consequences are exactly the same: the defining moment changing Velvet&#8217;s Story and opposing her to Arthur Collbrande, the moment it becomes a tale of emotions versus reason. We made this modification out of necessity, be sure of that.

You may have read in an interview that we had promised not to censor the game in the West. The statement applied only to the Velvet&#8217;s outfit at the time, and we did our best to keep the game as close to the Japanese version as possible.

This is the only scene which has been altered from the Japanese version of the game. Everything else is exactly the same as the Japanese version including costume designs which you will be able to see for yourself once we release the demo on January 10th.

Respect to them for just coming out and making an official statement. Pleased that's all that's changed.

Insanely disappointing and not a practice I want to support, but I can understand why they felt the need to do it.

Edit: Also - I'm amazed that PEGI are that strict. That heavily stylised scene shouldn't warrant an 18.

Hikami

Just saw this, I do prefer the original scene but if that's the only change and it was done to keep the rating down then I don't really mind.

Zhao_Yun

It's a bummer, but if this is really the only change that was made I can live with it I guess. It's ridiculous though that this scene alone would warrant a PEGI 18 rating, since many games that I would consider to be more violent in general were PEGI 16 only.

edit: Seems like Berseria is rated USK12 in Germany. Makes the whole thing even weirder.

Koeta

"This is the only scene which has been altered from the Japanese version of the game. Everything else is exactly the same as the Japanese version"

That is good to hear.

I hate censorship as much as the next guy but if this is the only thing changed I don't think it's a huge deal, it does suck they had to change it but to be fair when the blades popped out it was almost more dramatic imo so if nothing else changed I'll still give it a go.

It's a bummer, but if this is really the only change that was made I can live with it I guess. It's ridiculous though that this scene alone would warrant a PEGI 18 rating, since many games that I would consider to be more violent in general were PEGI 16 only.

edit: Seems like Berseria is rated USK12 in Germany. Makes the whole thing even weirder.

The it's probably PEGI. They are much stricter than USK with some things

Sucks that they cant make the change only in the regions they were struggling with ratings, but I wont really fault them for that, Also

rXVsGs0.png

really classy, and I mean that seriously

Nice that they're being open about it, but the censored scene is still just goofy as hell. Also pretty fucking wacked that the original would've gotten them an 18+, since this game is just rated 12+ in Japan. But, ah well.

Top Bottom