• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2017 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

PREDICTION LEAGUE FEBRUARY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jan 30 to Feb 26):

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional (18 days) - 89k
[PS4] Nioh (18 days) - 65k
[PS4] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 110k
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 100k
[PS4] NieR: Automata (4 days) - 100k

AniHawk

i get and agree with some of the negativity surrounding the switch, but i think people lack perspective when they only look at the last thing and think that is only how the future will go. before the 8th gen started in earnest (3ds and vita were already out but nothing else), this thread happened:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489769

i was pretty off when it came to the overall rankings (it is, in fact, sony > nintendo > microsoft), but i think general reasonings were a big closer to reality. the 3ds became the new psp, not the wii u, and sony will not be following up the ps vita it seems. microsoft's hubris got the best of them big-time, which is something i don't think anyone could have foreseen in 2012.

but you'll see people basically pretty sure of nintendo's success, even if it doesn't exactly mean the wii, and people pretty down on sony (they had just launched the ps vita). these systems don't belong to a set of patterns and they don't exist in a vacuum. each generation there are different factors that lead to the results we see at the end of the generation. in the 8th gen, there were internal fuckups for all three manufacturers (sony not making an audience for ps vita, nintendo with everything regarding the wii u and not taking the 3ds seriously initially, and microsoft thinking their fanbase was set like nintendo had and figuring they could take a bunch of rubes for all they were worth). there were also a lot of external factors that lead to there being such a huge decline over the previous two generations (8th gen: ~260m hardware/~2.2b software, 7th gen: 520m hardware/~4b software, 6th gen: 292m+ hardware/~2.4b software), that found each respective platform in their own space.

so when we get to the switch, i think it's important to look at the factors surrounding the release of the platform and its predecessors in order to more accurately estimate its trajectory. i think that console launches - any console launch - from this point on will be difficult. there are fewer and fewer people seeking out dedicated hardware, and i think the problem will be reaching out to a progressively smaller fanbase over time. nintendo is probably going to be able to secure that in japan if they can combine the best of the wii u (splatoon/pikmin), 3ds (dragon quest/monster hunter/2d mario/3d mario/mario kart/animal crossing/level-5), ps vita (minecraft/jrpgs/anime-branded games). it will probably do well in the west to keep the 3ds's fanbase and also appeal to parents with games they might be familair with. fortunately for nintendo, it lacks the main problems the wii u had at launch: awareness, excitement, and desirability of its hardware. the main idea of the switch is instantly appealing to a lot of people, which is something that didn't happen with the wii u. as long as big games start hitting and hit often, which appears to be the case at least in japan, i think it will do fine.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
What Nintendo did (intetionally and sometimes unintetionally) with 3DS and Wii U software is to prepare the ground for what was coming after them with Switch. Their inabilitty to provide different experiences with Wii U software comparing to 3DS and the continued ports from Wii U to 3DS lately, except that adding quick and easy additional sales, was a test and sign of their strategy for a single line of hardware that would combine both systems' software.

Eolz

I'm surprised at the predictions for Nioh here. I know the launch won't be particularly good, but this is on 18 days, I think the legs should be decent there.
Same for Nier but in reverse.

noshten

Do these numbers really matter? It's not like Youtube is the only video streaming platform. Splatoon 2 for instance has over 500k views on Nico², Mario 350k and Zelda around 250k.

I think it's also interesting due to the main Nintendo channel Splatoon 2 trailer having less views than the Japanese one. For the rest of the World Splatoon 2 got a big push and sold well but failed to catch on quiet like it has in Japan. Zelda and MK8 look like bigger titles in the West atm. Obviously Splatoon has upcoming big tournaments in the US, Europe and Japan the winners of which will win a Switch. I do expect Splatoon 2 World tournament to be a highlight of Nintendo's marketing heading into the summer. Especially with the spectator mode that was shown in the demo of Splatoon 2 and the fact that Nintendo's marketing and messaging have been geared towards making Splatoon 2 Nintendo's eSport.

In Japan Splatoon 2 is perhaps the biggest driver of adoption of the Switch. I'd imagine if 3DS had something like Splatoon in it's launch year it would have done a lot better than it did. This is why I keep saying that Switch with Zelda, MK8D, Splatoon2, Minecraft, Arms, indies and 3rd party Japanese titles is well poised to be far more attractive than the 3DS at launch.
If the Switch fails to outdo the launch year of 3DS I'd be disappointing with it's performance in Japan.

Personally I think it will be a frontloaded system in Japan due to bigger incentive to upgrade. There is no question in Japan it's a portable first - being able to plug it into a TV or other monitor is just an added benefit, which isn't a major factor. The main difference between the 3DS and the Switch is more than a generational leap, the actual design of the Switch is geared towards sharing the experience - which will be especially easy to do among kids. That's the main reason I see it being a hit long term in other markets but at the moment as far as costs Japan did get the best deal. I also expect Splatoon2/Switch/ProController bundles or some sort of incentive for the Splatoon 2 launch in Japan. We shall see but if Splatoon's ongoing support is anything to go by this is going to be a major launch for Nintendo and they got to really get the game to be a World Wide hit. In Japan Splatoon is like owned by more than half of Wii U owners. As a "Launch" title I wonder if we should expect higher adoption rate for Splatoon 2 on the Switch - that's why I'm thinking Splatoon 2 should be at the very least a game that sales 5 million in it's life. Maybe more if it continues to be popular and people continue to play it like they do with Warcraft, Dota2, CS etc.
Minecraft to me also bigger deal than any 3rd party game the Wii U received in its first year in Japan.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I'm surprised at the predictions for Nioh here. I know the launch won't be particularly good, but this is on 18 days, I think the legs should be decent there.
Same for Nier but in reverse.

Nioh already shows lots but pre-order still very low, I think Japanese gamers just don't like it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 5, 2017 (Jan 30 - Feb 5)

new releases

{2017.01.30}
[PS4] Double Dragon IV _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nihon Falcom) (¥740)

{2017.02.01}
[3DS] Planetera Garden Life _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Rainy Frog) (¥462)
[3DS] Genkai! Yamadzumi Battle _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Starsign) (¥370)
[PSV] Shinsei Batteki Drive Girls (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Bergsala-Lightweight) (¥6.800)
[WIU] Planetera Garden Life _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Rainy Frog) (¥462)

{2017.02.02}
[3DS] BoxBoy! Hakobume Box <BoxBoy! \ BoxBoxBoy! \ Sayonara! BoxBoy!> <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥3.200)
[3DS] Sayonara! BoxBoy! (&#949;) _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥630)
[PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Road to Boruto <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Road to Boruto (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.120)
[PS4] Akiba's Trip 2+A <ADV> (Acquire) (¥3.980)
[PS4] Let It Die _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥100)
___

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard < 55k (average 50k)
02. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Road to Boruto < 30k (average 25k)
03. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon < 20k (average 15k)

Eolz

Nioh already shows lots but pre-order still very low, I think Japanese gamers just don't like it.

Well yeah, that's what I said, that the first week shouldn't be fantastic. Still, I don't see how it would do only around 60k in 18 days.

What Nintendo did (intetionally and sometimes unintetionally) with 3DS and Wii U software is to prepare the ground for what was coming after them with Switch. Their inabilitty to provide different experiences with Wii U software comparing to 3DS and the continued ports from Wii U to 3DS lately, except that adding quick and easy additional sales, was a test and sign of their strategy for a single line of hardware that would combine both systems' software.

Also helped by the advancement of technology.

Week 5, 2017 (Jan 30 - Feb 5)

new releases

{2017.01.30}
[PS4] Double Dragon IV _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nihon Falcom) (¥740)

{2017.02.01}
[3DS] Planetera Garden Life _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Rainy Frog) (¥462)
[3DS] Genkai! Yamadzumi Battle _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Starsign) (¥370)
[PSV] Shinsei Batteki Drive Girls (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Bergsala-Lightweight) (¥6.800)
[WIU] Planetera Garden Life _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Rainy Frog) (¥462)

{2017.02.02}
[3DS] BoxBoy! Hakobume Box <BoxBoy! \ BoxBoxBoy! \ Sayonara! BoxBoy!> <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥3.200)
[3DS] Sayonara! BoxBoy! (&#949;) _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥630)
[PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Road to Boruto <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Road to Boruto (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.120)
[PS4] Akiba's Trip 2+A <ADV> (Acquire) (¥3.980)
[PS4] Let It Die _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥100)
___

YSO predictions

02. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Road to Boruto < 30k (average 25k)

Why are people buying the Naruto game lol?
It has 1 new character and a short recap of a year old movie. Has to be the shittiest expansion I've seen.

Can some kind soul help me understand the comgnet preorder numbers? Eg. 197 pts.. What does that really mean and how does it translate to sales?

Yeshua

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional (18 days) - 120000
[PS4] Nioh (18 days) - 120000
[PS4] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 50000
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 60000
[PS4] NieR: Automata (4 days) - 120000

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
YSO predictions

....wait those are the first week RE7 predictions ?

Eolz

GAF predictions isn't one prediction.

I know, since the deadline isn't up yet, we can't really do the usual average yet.
But still, on top of 65k, you predicted 87k, and two other predictions are below 100k. My own prediction might be a bit high as well, but I'm just trying to understand why most so far are so low.
Is that just based on those preorder numbers, and thinking it can't get past 100k in more than 2 weeks of sales? I find that a bit surprising really.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I know, since the deadline isn't up yet, we can't really do the usual average yet.
But still, on top of 65k, you predicted 87k, and two other predictions are below 100k. My own prediction might be a bit high as well, but I'm just trying to understand why most so far are so low.
Is that just based on those preorder numbers, and thinking it can't get past 100k in more than 2 weeks of sales? I find that a bit surprising really.

Nioh isn't some kind of anticipating game that people wait to play. These are 3 weeks of sales. If opening is low even with good word of mouth it won't go much further in that time.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well Kingdom Hearts 2.8 on PS4 should outsell Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 on PS3 next week

Let's see whether it can hit 1.5's numbers (it had a slightly better first week already).

PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX [All Versions] 131.940 239.675 Square Enix 3/14/2013
PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX [All Versions] 85.354 161.663 Square Enix 10/2/2014
PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue 133.442 156.185 Square Enix 1/12/2017

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional (18 days) - 132k
[PS4] Nioh (18 days) - 140k
[PS4] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 65k
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 26k
[PS4] NieR: Automata (4 days) - 70k

The other software misstep at launch was Nintendo Land that albeit good contained two fatal flaws in multiplayer (which is where the good word of mouth is generated):
It wasn't immediate enough to setup (Monita long explanation exemplified well this flaw) and the asymmetric gameplay lean more toward 3 or more players to be really effective which is a limitation in the case of just two players.

This hasn't been my experience at all. Wii Sports was easier to understand, since people know the basic rules of those sports before starting the game, but that's it. I've played with three other friends or family members, but the majority of my time with it was just me and my wife, and she only plays Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Collection, Splatoon and Kirby. It was very quick and easy to understand and a ton of fun. She loved playing Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Zelda: Battle Quest with me. She also enjoyed playing Octopus Dance by herself. Monita's explanations were definitely not too long. I haven't played with anyone who had any trouble grasping the concepts almost immediately.

Nintendo Land's fatal flaw was the Wii U. One game can only do so much to sell an expensive system that appears to have limited potential. Wii Sports was a great introduction to motion controls, but the system seller was the motion controls. The GamePad was not a system seller, so Nintendo Land did as well as it could have.

Ōkami

1. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard (Grotesque Ver.) - 428
  2. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 44
  3. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 28
  4. [PS4] Ao no Achira no Four Rhythm: HD Edition - 27
  5. [PS4] Valkyria Revolution - 23
  6. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World - 23
  7. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 - 22
  8. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 21
  9. [PS4] Ao no Achira no Four Rhythm: HD Edition (Limited Edition) - 18
  10. [3DS] Pokemon Moon - 18
  11. [PSV] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - 16
  12. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue - 16
  13. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! - 13
  14. [PS4] Battlefield 1 - 12
  15. [PSV] Valkyria Revolution - 10
  16. [3DS] Pokemon Sun - 10
  17. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 9
  18. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 9
  19. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 9
  20. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 8
Preorders
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 532
[SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 199
[PS4] Super Robot Wars V - 79
[PS4] Nier: Automata - 69
[SWI] 1 2 Switch - 68
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 66
[PS4] Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune - 66
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V - 62
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional - 58
[SWI] Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 29
[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix - 19
[PS4] Nioh - 16
[PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash - 13
[SWI] Super Bomberman R - 12

Well Kingdom Hearts 2.8 on PS4 should outsell Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 on PS3 next week

Let's see whether it can hit 1.5's numbers (it had a slightly better first week already).

PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX [All Versions] 131.940 239.675 Square Enix 3/14/2013
PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX [All Versions] 85.354 161.663 Square Enix 10/2/2014
PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue 133.442 156.185 Square Enix 1/12/2017
Wasn't there a Dualshockers article that talked about how a bunch more people than normal pre-ordered 1.5+2.5 when picking up 2.8? Will be interesting to see those numbers later.

sphinx

the piano man
i get and agree with some of the negativity surrounding the switch, but i think people lack perspective when they only look at the last thing and think that is only how the future will go. before the 8th gen started in earnest (3ds and vita were already out but nothing else), this thread happened:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489769

i was pretty off when it came to the overall rankings (it is, in fact, sony > nintendo > microsoft), but i think general reasonings were a big closer to reality. the 3ds became the new psp, not the wii u, and sony will not be following up the ps vita it seems. microsoft's hubris got the best of them big-time, which is something i don't think anyone could have foreseen in 2012.

but you'll see people basically pretty sure of nintendo's success, even if it doesn't exactly mean the wii, and people pretty down on sony (they had just launched the ps vita). these systems don't belong to a set of patterns and they don't exist in a vacuum. each generation there are different factors that lead to the results we see at the end of the generation. in the 8th gen, there were internal fuckups for all three manufacturers (sony not making an audience for ps vita, nintendo with everything regarding the wii u and not taking the 3ds seriously initially, and microsoft thinking their fanbase was set like nintendo had and figuring they could take a bunch of rubes for all they were worth). there were also a lot of external factors that lead to there being such a huge decline over the previous two generations (8th gen: ~260m hardware/~2.2b software, 7th gen: 520m hardware/~4b software, 6th gen: 292m+ hardware/~2.4b software), that found each respective platform in their own space.

so when we get to the switch, i think it's important to look at the factors surrounding the release of the platform and its predecessors in order to more accurately estimate its trajectory. i think that console launches - any console launch - from this point on will be difficult. there are fewer and fewer people seeking out dedicated hardware, and i think the problem will be reaching out to a progressively smaller fanbase over time. nintendo is probably going to be able to secure that in japan if they can combine the best of the wii u (splatoon/pikmin), 3ds (dragon quest/monster hunter/2d mario/3d mario/mario kart/animal crossing/level-5), ps vita (minecraft/jrpgs/anime-branded games). it will probably do well in the west to keep the 3ds's fanbase and also appeal to parents with games they might be familair with. fortunately for nintendo, it lacks the main problems the wii u had at launch: awareness, excitement, and desirability of its hardware. the main idea of the switch is instantly appealing to a lot of people, which is something that didn't happen with the wii u. as long as big games start hitting and hit often, which appears to be the case at least in japan, i think it will do fine.

there is one thing that remains a mystery to me.

Both Sony and Nintendo reacted just exactly the same when struggling with supporting 2 devices.

Nintendo with their 3DS, they said "Fuck no, people, you ARE BUYING my handheld, here, aggressive price reduction and ambassador program" but with their Home console they said "just let it rot, nobody wanted it, whatever"

Sony with their Home console they said "Fuck no, people, I want a PS2-like success, not a PS3 struggle, here, good price, good hardware, plenty of support" but with their handheld they said "just let it rot, nobody wanted it, whatever"

Sony and Nintendo are VERY aggressive on home and handheld consoles respectively, but don't give a fuck for their other devices, why is that?

they didn't even try... just a little.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Both Sony and Nintendo reacted just exactly the same when struggling with supporting 2 devices.

Nintendo with their 3DS, they said "Fuck no, people, you ARE BUYING my handheld, here, aggressive price reduction and ambassador program" but with their Home console they said "just let it rot, nobody wanted it, whatever"

Sony with their Home console they said "Fuck no, people, I want a PS2-like success, not a PS3 struggle, here, good price, good hardware, plenty of support" but with their handheld they said "just let it rot, nobody wanted it, whatever"

Sony and Nintendo are VERY aggressive on home and handheld consoles respectively, but don't give a fuck for their other devices, why is that?

Usually companies will do market research and determine if there's any demand to avoid chasing a lost cause.

A new price and some new software is going to have a limited impact overall on a fundamentally unappealing system, whereas it can really help a system that's appealing, but is simply badly positioned.

Similarly, I'd group people who are pessimistic about the Switch into two categories. There are those who think the system is fundamentally bad, and those who think it is too expensive, has a bad form factor, and/or lacks an appropriate game library to succeed early on, but would be successful with adjustments on these issues.

I guess it is because they see much more potential in focusing on their proven strength.

The PS4 will more than likely sell 100M+ units LTD. They could heavily invest in a Vita successor and turn things around but how much of a difference are we talking? How likely is it for it to succeed? What is the market looking like for a Vita successor? What if it just crashes and burns despite their investment? How would internal software development be handled?

With the PS4 going full steam ahead and not slowing down, why not avoid those questions above and put those resources into what they know will deliver? It is all about finding your strong point and reducing risk now.

Sony finances were in much different shape in 2012+ when compared to 2006 era.

Plus they had movie format war to win with ps3 vs fighting for declining handheld market.

Although I feel like they could have played ending years of their support for Vita bit better - we haven't seen price drop in years, we never got expanded version of Freedom Wars and they could have hired Inafune for Soul Sacrifice 2 it wouldn't really take any serious internal resources while they had 100-200k sellers potential in Japan.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 4, 2017 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

01./00. [PS4] Resident Evil VII: biohazard (Grotesque Ver.) <ADV> (Capcom)
02./01. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./06. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
04./04. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./02. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
06./07. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
07./00. [PS4] Resident Evil VII: biohazard <ADV> (Capcom)
08./03. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
09./15. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
10./09. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
11./05. [PSV] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
12./11. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo)
13./00. [PSV] Uta no Prince-Sama: Repeat Love <ADV> (Broccoli)
14./13. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
15./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
16./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
17./08. [PS4] Valkyria Revolution <SLG> (Sega)
18./10. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
19./12. [PS4] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
20./00. [PSV] Orfleurs: Koufuku no Hanataba <ADV> (Dramatic Create)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 4, 2017 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

01./10. [PS4] Nier: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./09. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
03./03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
04./08. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
05./00. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
06./19. [PS4] NiOh <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
07./20. [PS4] Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune (Royal Edition) <RPG> (Compile Heart)
08./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
09./30. [PS4] Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.)
10./06. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <TBL> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 3, 2017 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So for a few years I've been putting in my bet of Japanese publishers going in on PS4/Switch as a common occurrence, and now that we've had a few weeks for things to shake out, I thought I'd do a check to see which publishers actually seem to be considering this.

I'll be keeping a running spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qUCNBbZKgKN0ApoHtn5RiAc7aOBhfvQTXaeRrEUytzk/edit?usp=sharing

Known:

Square Enix:
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest Heroes I+II
- I Am Setsuna

Bandai Namco:
- Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Sega:
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Sonic Mania
- Sonic 2017

Koei Tecmo:
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
- Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence

Nippon Ichi:
- Disgaea 5

Special Notes:
- For Sega, Shin Megami Tensei: New Project is listed as "HD Game" instead of "For Switch", whereas on the same page, they have a new SMT game listed "For 3DS".
- We don't know what Bandai Namco's Tales game is, but it's been quite some time since they've made a non-mobile spin-off.
- Nippon Ichi has noted that they will release more Switch games. I would be kind of surprised if they dumped PlayStation.
- Arc System Works has listed that a BlazBlue game is coming to Switch. It's not impossible it's some kind of chibi fighting thing however.

Japanese console publishers* without a PS4/Switch multiplatform game thus far:
- Konami
- Level-5
- Capcom
- Arc System Works
- Kadokawa Games

* I know that places like CyGames and Gung-Ho don't have multiplatform titles, but they're primarily mobile publishers, so I left them out for now. That said, yes, I probably shouldn't be including Konami as a console-first publisher anymore, and the same argument might even apply to Sega.

Vena

Nebulous Tales of if you want to count that as well for Bamco, since NCL put that on their own game sheet for TBA.

Ōkami

v2gBDag.png

The Xbox One comeback starts in Tsutaya.

ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 4 2017

01./00. [PS4] Resident Evil VII: biohazard (Grotesque Ver.) <ADV> (Capcom)
02./00. [PS4] Resident Evil VII: biohazard <ADV> (Capcom)

03./01. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
04./05. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./03. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
07./02. [PS4] Valkyria Revolution <SLG> (Sega)
08./08. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
09./04. [PSV] Valkyria Revolution <SLG> (Sega)
10./07. [PSV] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
11./10. [3DS] Pokemon Sun <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
12./11. [3DS] Pokemon Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
13./00. [PSV] Sousei no Onmyouji <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./09. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
15./00. [PSV] Uta no Prince-Sama: Repeat Love <ADV> (Broccoli)
16./13. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
17./15. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo)
18./14. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
19./12. [PS4] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
20./19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
&#332;kami;229325270 said:
  1. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard (Grotesque Ver.) - 428
  2. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 44

1. Obviously this isn't the best comparison but:
    [PS4] Yakuza 6 - 392
    [PS4] Resident Evil 7 - 472

So if the rest of the market was like comgnet, it should have a somewhat better opening week than Yakuza at least (aka over 200K)?

Yagami_Sama

- Arc System Works has listed that a BlazBlue game is coming to Switch. It's not impossible it's some kind of chibi fighting thing however.

I am looking forward to know which game will be ported to Switch, and if the do a spin-off, like you mentioned, I will pretty disappointed.

AniHawk

the difference between sony on the vita and nintendo on the wii u is an abyss.

sony gave it two years of first party support and peaced out. they let third-parties handle that and wished them the best of luck, and then slowly withdrew support from the remaining companies making games for the thing as they focused internally on ps4 pro and ps vr. if i was a third-party on the machine, i would never forget how shitty they treated that system in the last few years of its life, not even offering token support in the form of sizzle reels at shows. the closest thing to it recently was its mentions at playstation experience 2016 and that felt like it was tacked on at the last minute.

nintendo gave the wii u big first-party games throughout its lifespan and basically adapted the form factor and main concept as the successor to its handheld and console line. nintendo had also worked to secure deals with third-parties to support the thing early on, and kept making games and giving support via dlc until the platform was four years old. though breath of the wild is the system's final major game from nintendo, and more important to them as a switch launch title, they are releasing it day and date with the 9th gen version.

random25

Nintendo supported the Wii U very well with their own output plus some collaborations for exclusive content. 2014 and 2015 had big 1st party games for the Wii U and a good number of them sold really well, with 2016 the only year that never got almost anything major from Nintendo. The problem is even if the software did well, the hardware didn't follow suit. So yeah, it's a lost cause for them to continue betting big with the Wii U and just basically moved on and offered an immediate replacement, which is the Switch right now.

the difference between sony on the vita and nintendo on the wii u is an abyss.

sony gave it two years of first party support and peaced out. they let third-parties handle that and wished them the best of luck, and then slowly withdrew support from the remaining companies making games for the thing as they focused internally on ps4 pro and ps vr. if i was a third-party on the machine, i would never forget how shitty they treated that system in the last few years of its life, not even offering token support in the form of sizzle reels at shows. the closest thing to it recently was its mentions at playstation experience 2016 and that felt like it was tacked on at the last minute.

nintendo gave the wii u big first-party games throughout its lifespan and basically adapted the form factor and main concept as the successor to its handheld and console line. nintendo had also worked to secure deals with third-parties to support the thing early on, and kept making games and giving support via dlc until the platform was four years old. though breath of the wild is the system's final major game from nintendo, and more important to them as a switch launch title, they are releasing it day and date with the 9th gen version.

Saying Sony gave it two years of first-party support is very generous. I don't know how many first-party games were greenlit after the Vita came out, but I know it's not many. I'm sure people will disagree, but I see Killzone Mercenary as the last big first-party Vita game to deliver on Sony's promises. The game came out in September 2013, not even two years after the system's launch. It seems pretty likely that the game was greenlit before the Vita came out and the first indications of bomba came in. I own the thing and liked it originally but it's been frankly insulting to be a launch day buyer. Clearly it was a good move for them and business is business, but I'm in no rush of supporting them again.

Branduil

I wonder how fast Vita sales in Japan will dry up after the Switch launches. Obviously the Vita will have a stronger library for some time, but if anyone is buying the Vita still because it's the strongest handheld that can support console-like experiences, a lot of those sales could "Switch" almost immediately.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So for a few years I've been putting in my bet of Japanese publishers going in on PS4/Switch as a common occurrence, and now that we've had a few weeks for things to shake out, I thought I'd do a check to see which publishers actually seem to be considering this.

Koei Tecmo:
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
- Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence

I think Koei Tecmo is the biggest outlier so far from the looks of it, if they really want to make any of their series multiplat to include the Switch in the long term I doubt these would've been the games they announced. It's still early, but I don't see it happening unless they're very surprised by the sales.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I think Koei Tecmo is the biggest outlier so far from the looks of it, if they really want to make any of their series multiplat to include the Switch in the long term I doubt these would've been the games they announced. It's still early, but I don't see it happening unless they're very surprised by the sales.

Koei for quantity, Tecmo for quality..

duckroll

I wonder how fast Vita sales in Japan will dry up after the Switch launches. Obviously the Vita will have a stronger library for some time, but if anyone is buying the Vita still because it's the strongest handheld that can support console-like experiences, a lot of those sales could "Switch" almost immediately.

The majority of people don't buy hardware for vague reasons like that. They buy a hardware because there is something they want to play. With portables it usually means something their friends are playing which looked interesting.

Vita sales will dry up if all future Vita games are on a better system. Just like 3DS sales. Until then, the Switch is nothing more than a console with portable features.

Top Bottom