• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Wait, Steamgaf were hating on G2A for all this time and now, cause they have a cheap and cool-looking subbing deal, they are cool?

Yeah, I must be missing something here.

NeoRaider

Wait, Steamgaf were hating on G2A for al lthis time and now, cause they have a cheap and cool-looking subbing deal, they are cool?

Yeah, I must be missing soemthing here.

It's always like that.

tenor.gif

I mean not just GAF, in general.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dirt 3 Complete -- MB-94E04E06D64EF9BF - Taken by Anteater
Syberia -- MB-24879933E524AAE7 - Taken by fifasnipe2224
Wait, Steamgaf were hating on G2A for all this time and now, cause they have a cheap and cool-looking subbing deal, they are cool?

This time they are claiming they are collaborating with publishers in order to provide legit bundles, so maybe it's something different.

Yakkue

Finished Abzû. The last area was really beautiful. Shame that the camera tended to swing really wildly in one part though, made me a little motion sick. Also unfortunate that it crashed 3 times.
---
Back to playing Tales of Zestiria. First "Tales of"-game I am playing, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Mivey

It's a victimless crime. Except for the guys getting their credit cards stolen.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dirt 3 Complete Edition -- MB-43C010F713886420

t1486827631z1.png

Well, I've been dealing with some Windows update related shit for the last hour so I figured I'd post about it here.

Basically if you're on Windows 10, Windows update will try and force an Nvidia display driver update (376.53) on you if you are using 376.33 or below (which are from December of last year).

If you have Win 10 Home then you won't have much of a choice about the download (unless this registry edit works for you).

If you're on Win 10 Pro then there's a tool you can use to try and hide the update from Windows update so that you don't have to download it. This tool has worked for me in the past but it didn't this time around.

Letting Windows update actually update your driver for you is not a good idea because it *apparently* lets your OS takes control of a temp folder (C:\temp\NVIDIA) and will not let you write to it. This folder is used for every Nvidia driver installation so you will not be able to install Nvidia drivers manually in the future until you take back ownership of the folder.

Or you could do what I did which was to update to the newer 378.49 drivers directly from the Nvidia website which will eventually (it takes a while) stop Windows update trying to push those drivers onto you. Apparently the 378.49 drivers could cause some issues for you in which case you might prefer getting the beta 378.57 hotfix drivers.

More information in this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5sqj05/windows_10_forced_a_37653_driver_update/

Pixieking

Banned
I find that really hard to believe, taking into consideration one of the games in the bundle is a delisted one.

Fable 3 is not on Steam anymore, but Amazon US recently got a stock of Steam keys for it. Not saying that G2A are legit on this one, but it's not impossible.

Edit: I decided against the bundle, btw. G2A suck.

Ascheroth

I find that really hard to believe, taking into consideration one of the games in the bundle is a delisted one.
I've just looked at the bundle and the description makes it seem that it's provided by another site, one where Chrome refuses to open the page because of a privacy/security warning when you click the link in the description.
Yep. Definitely not dodgy at all. Not at all.

Pixieking

Banned
Well, I've been dealing with some Windows update related shit for the last hour so I figured I'd post about it here.

Basically if you're on Windows 10, Windows update will try and force an Nvidia display driver update (376.53) on you if you are using 376.33 or below (which are from December of last year).

<snipped the rest>

This is why I keep backups of important drivers and software, and update them every couple of months. I can clean install Windows, boot into it the first time, disconnect the internet connection and then install all the important stuff before Windows chucks it at me. Nvidia drivers, Creative drivers, WiFi and mobo stuff.

If you've got a spare USB stick or external drive, it's totally worth doing.

ezodagrom

Fable 3 is not on Steam anymore, but Amazon US recently got a stock of Steam keys for it. Not saying that G2A are legit on this one, but it's not impossible.

Edit: I decided against the bundle, btw. G2A suck.
Different situations though, Fable 3 was delisted because of the GFWL marketplace shutdown, while DiRT 3 was likely delisted due to licenses ending (wouldn't really make sense for it to be delisted otherwise).

Plus DiRT3 was free on humble bundle not long before it was delisted, that sounds like a rather possible source of keys for G2A.

Durante

So...is this actually any good? Haven't played any games in the series yet, what would you compare it to?
It's fantastic.

There's not really much that compares to Atelier, gameplay-wise. Really, I can't think of anything. It's a slice-of-life non-linear alchemy-focused JRPG series.

Would've bought if the cpu requirements weren't so high and the ui wasn't so low quality
CPU requirements aren't high. It runs on a ultraportable laptop.

Pixieking

Banned
Different situations though, Fable 3 was delisted because of the GFWL marketplace shutdown, while DiRT 3 was likely delisted due to licenses ending (wouldn't really make sense for it to be delisted otherwise).

Plus DiRT3 was free on humble bundle not long before it was delisted, that sounds like a rather possible source of keys for G2A.

Ah, yeah, that's a good point - forgot about the Humble giveaway. Very suspicious. :/

I'm pretty sure the Dirt 3 keys from the Humble giveaway have already expired.

Mivey

Atelier Sophie is at 7.5K currently. Considering the game sold a mere 60K in its first week in Japan, that's sill more than 10% of that number, and its not been a week yet. It could easily end up at 30K in a few weeks, and with sales even reach 100K. For their first game on a new platform with no prior audience, that's adequate.
But maybe they had SquareEnix-type expectations of grandeur, I dunno.

ezodagrom

Atelier Sophie is at 7.5K currently. Considering the game sold a mere 60K in its first week in Japan, that's sill more than 10% of that number, and its not been a week yet. It could easily end up at 30K in a few weeks, and with sales even reach 100K. For their first game on a new platform with no prior audience, that's adequate.
Also the number of owners on steamspy is based on 3 days samples, and the game didn't appear in the new releases part of Steam for like a day or so.
The numbers will likely still increase a bit more before we get more reliable early days/week 1 numbers.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DiRT 3 Complete Edition -- MB-AAEDA206C7E835B6 - Taken by The Hermit. 1 entrants total.
Syberia -- MB-B80D5E9A2F2E75F1 - Taken by Orgen. 2 entrants total.

t1486821034z1.png

Thing is, it will still have terrible performance, like Pillars 1 did.
(It brought my old 970 to its knees on the highest quality setting)

I'll admit, that was my first thought on seeing the gif.

This is what brings my card to its knees?

If you have Win 10 Home then you won't have much of a choice about the download (unless this registry edit works for you).

If you're on Win 10 Pro then there's a tool you can use to try and hide the update from Windows update so that you don't have to download it. This tool has worked for me in the past but it didn't this time around.

Letting Windows update actually update your driver for you is not a good idea because it *apparently* lets your OS takes control of a temp folder (C:\temp\NVIDIA) and will not let you write to it. This folder is used for every Nvidia driver installation so you will not be able to install Nvidia drivers manually in the future until you take back ownership of the folder.

Or you could do what I did which was to update to the newer 378.49 drivers directly from the Nvidia website which will eventually (it takes a while) stop Windows update trying to push those drivers onto you. Apparently the 378.49 drivers could cause some issues for you in which case you might prefer getting the beta 378.57 hotfix drivers.

More information in this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5sqj05/windows_10_forced_a_37653_driver_update/
Geez.

When Windows auto-installed that driver and my monitor blanked out, I assumed the worst, having no idea it what was happening. (I was watching a Giant Bomb video at the time. The last time my computer froze while doing so it turned out my CPU was dead.)

I think the driver itself is technically a security update moreso than just for the GPU, because that same driver (well, .33 rather than .53) is the one that patches the driver-level exploit that Nvidia fixed a while back.

Ascheroth

Do we know how much it sold in the west at launch? Would be interesting to know.

I doubt they had many expectations, but at least it looks like Koei America has managed to convince their Japanese part to try a little harder.
The non-insane launch pricing, relatively decent port in comparison and them actually listening to feedback and patching things pretty fast are a good start.
The bad rep isn't going to go away overnight though.
Damn. SE better deliver or Duckroll will have my head.
Never bet on SE when it comes to PC. Or SEGA. After all, you can't write SEGA without SE.

I'm glad this isn't happening with my AMD card, but the way Win10 handles updates is easily the worst part of the entire OS.

dex3108

If the price is right, the majority of Steam GAF will gladly fuck over the developer. This is a known fact.

First just to be clear i am always for supporting devs. But people often scream left and right think about devs. Meanwhile Valve and most of those devs simply don't care about parts of their userbase. Year or two ago when there was EU2 region on Steam only handful of devs used it and those were mostly ones from EU2 region. For majority of them EU2 region didn't exist so prices were same as in the rest of the Europe. What if i tell you that average salary in my country is lower than in Russia but because we are small market nobody cares and we have full prices here.

Even though i personally really care about supporting devs, i care more for my life and as much as i try to use stores that i know got keys from devs or official distributors you bet that i will occasionally take some good deals from shady places.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with all these anonymous giveaways

Are you ashamed? :D

gngf123

Poland being within that EU2 region, I'm pretty sure the Superhot devs understand that.

And why make them pay for other developers mistakes? That just reads like you justifying cheap games any way you can.

G2A actively hurt the industry and they know it. Their recent AMA basically confirmed that. Even if this is by some miracle genuine they do not deserve a single penny of support.

Kifimbo

It looks like the February Humble Monthly bundle was the most popular one yet. At least 120k copies sold, according to Steamspy numbers.

dex3108

Poland being within that EU2 region, I'm pretty sure the Superhot devs understand that.

And why make them pay for other developers mistakes? That just reads like you justifying cheap games any way you can.

G2A actively hurt the industry and they know it. Their recent AMA basically confirmed that.
Even if this is by some miracle genuine they do not deserve a single penny of support.

There is no more EU2 region and only devs that used EU2 pricing (at least on my Steam Store) were Croteam, Valve and few other regional devs. Super Hot was always full price here. And i am and i will justify cheap games and deals (at least for cases like mine) as long as devs and publishers treat small regions like mine like they don't exist.

gngf123

There is no more EU2 region and only devs that used EU2 pricing (at least on my Steam Store) were Croteam, Valve and few other regional devs. Super Hot was always full price here. And i am and i will justify cheap games and deals (at least for cases like mine) as long as devs and publishers treat small regions like mine like they don't exist.

Superhot went on sale February 25th, after the end of the EU2 region. They never had the chance to use EU2 pricing. Now, as far as I know the devs don't have any way within Steam to treat countries like yours differently to anywhere else (Unless they use a separate region locked store). If they could I am sure they would... because again, they are based within the old EU2 region.

If you want to take it out on anyone, take it out on Valve.

madjoki

Superhot went on sale February 25th, after the end of the EU2 region. They never had the chance to use EU2 pricing. Now, as far as I know the devs don't have any way within Steam to treat countries like yours differently to anywhere else.

Developers can set prices per country still.

gngf123

Developers can set prices per country still.

Per country? I always thought it was per region. Now this I didn't know.

SteamGAF used to be cool but now you're supporting crap like CDkeys and G2A like Sellout Twitch streamers

Isn't CDkeys at least kind of legit? I thought they were just legit but different region keys? I never used them but that's what people told me before.

dex3108

Superhot went on sale February 25th, after the end of the EU2 region. They never had the chance to use EU2 pricing. Now, as far as I know the devs don't have any way within Steam to treat countries like yours differently to anywhere else (Unless they use a separate region locked store). If they could I am sure they would... because again, they are based within the old EU2 region.

And i explained to you that even EU2 region was there for years almost nobody used it. Square Enix did interesting thing, they are selling cheap retail copies here and they put us in RU/CIS region for retail keys. We still get full prices on Steam but we can activate RU keys and buy cheap retail versions.

Ascheroth

I've already made a post about this in Atelier Sophie (not)OT, but there is another issue with Atelier port - most of the DLC included with the game aren't active at the moment, there is an unofficial fix for it on the Steam forums. Seeing that there is a KT representative posting in that thread, i hope this info reaches the developers and will be fixed soon.

Speaking of fixes, the CPU and stuttering issues have been officially patched, i removed the workaround DLL i was using, and i still get 5-7% CPU load and no stuttering throughout the game, The only technical issue left is some fps drops during synthesis, which, to be honest, i didn't even notice until someone pointed them out, and i started paying attention to fps counter during those parts.

Well, I've just tried this. Not far enough to use any of the DLC yet, but the soundtrack selection is crazy.
It looks like you can overide any of the songs with whatever you want from all previous Atelier games, and even choose mulitple ones which will then randomly choose between them.
I've added some Mana Khemia tracks into the battle theme selection, the nostalgia is hitting me hard :p

Also I've come across a new bug with the recent patch (at least I think it's new), where the game won't lose input focus when alt-tabbing, which is both amusing and annoying.
Can't write a quick post on GAF without running around/moving through menus in the background, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom