• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael's deck is so absurd holy crap

That's what happens when people are passing you gas in black literally left and right.

I don't even value Bontu that high, but hell if I'm going to let someone to my left pick him up just so I can get a haste on a 1/1 as part of trying way, way too hard to force Red.

They're afraid of Control because any Control Deck that could post the same numbers as Eldrazi Tron would be warped beyond belief.

Doesn't mean that UW isn't absolute ass though in Modern compared to the other colors.

OnPoint

Congrats on the decent finish Ash!

Torrential Gearhulk on the spike right now. I guess it's expected to be a pillar going into the Pro Tour?

Yeef

downloaded Magic duels on my phone. is there an option to battle friends on this? or is just randoms.
I can't speak to the iPhone version, but on Steam when you do versus battle, you can pick from a matched battle (random) or invite a friend to play.

y2dvd

3-0'd draft yesterday. Who knew 6/7 hexproof croc with cartouche trample was good?

Glad I bought my set of Torrentials. The weird ability to hit Memory from the graveyard surely is part of the reason for the spike.

DrArchon

Finally decided to take the plunge and order the cards needed to make a standard deck. Haven't done that in years, so it'll be an experience for sure.

Going with a Grixis Cycling/Control deck with Drake Haven, Curator of Mysteries, etc. Obviously not a top tier deck or anything, because I ain't gonna shell out for a playset of Torrential Gearhulks or Spirebluff Cliffs just yet, but it should be fun to play around with at FMN and hopefully I can slot new-Bolas in once HoD comes out. Drake Haven's just such a fun card to build around that I had to make a deck for it.

alternade

3-0'd draft yesterday. Who knew 6/7 hexproof croc with cartouche trample was good?

Glad I bought my set of Torrentials. The weird ability to hit Memory from the graveyard surely is part of the reason for the spike.

Why is this? I thought that aftermath was supposed to prevent this from happening?

Why is this? I thought that aftermath was supposed to prevent this from happening?
Why would it? Aftermath only says it has to be cast from the graveyard which Fatcaster does. It works because if an effect asks you to cast a spell right now, it circumvents timing restrictions as it's part of revolving a trigger/spell.
They didn't stop the split card exploit they only changed the CMC rules.

My pulls want me to play Standard. Nothing but Walking Ballistas, Spirebluffs, and Glorybringers. You won't fool me, WotC; I'm trading them all for junk planeswalkers and badlands.

DrArchon

I pulled a bunch of Torrentials in my Kaladesh packs.

I should set aside 4 and move the rest while they're high.

Just check prices on a normal Gearhulk on TCGPlayer, and holy shit it's already close to $30 for the median price. I was thinking about making a Jeskai control deck back when they were ~$16 a piece but I didn't bite the bullet.

Looks like that dream is dead. :(

Why did they make 2 hate cards for Plainswalk in Legends? Up to this day there's a grand total of 5 creatures with plainswalk, the last one from Shadowmoor.
17.jpg
243.jpg
There is just one creature with Plainswalk in Legends.

Why did they make 2 hate cards for Plainswalk in Legends? Up to this day there's a grand total of 5 creatures with plainswalk, the last one from Shadowmoor.

There is just one creature with Plainswalk in Antiquities.

As a huge fan of Landwalk, I have pondered this many times. Gotta keep that Aysen Highway in check! Seriously, though, I think there was the notion of symmetry when these cards were printed. As in, they maybe intended Basic Landwalk to continue and be "a thing" for all colours.

Santiako

Old cards are weird. Ice Age has a lot of cards that have to do with snow covered land, but most of them are hate cards, so there was no point in ever playing them lol

A lot of old cards are "gee-whiz" design rather than holistic game design.

Like, Great Wall is clearly someone saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we had the Great Wall of China in game? You know what it would do: stop the Huns! And what were the Huns? Plainswalkers, haha!" Then, no one stopped to actually ask whether the clever card had any purpose existing in the state of the game at the current time.

Modern Magic has missteps, and admittedly the lack of gee-whiz cards kind of loses a little charm, but on the whole it's much better about asking, "What is this card even doing in the context of the rest of the game?"

Firemind

Yeah in the old days they tried to think of cool verbs and nouns first, then designed the text to make it work ingame. I still don't know how they came up with the concept of Banding tho.

kirblar

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/35075_SCG-Tour-Season-Two-Announcements.html

Starcity are listening to their players, so the second half of the year is mostly Modern, with only two standard opens (the weeks that Hour and Ixaland release), two team construced and a bone thrown at the legacy people at washington. Neat, I like an extra 7 weekends of modern streams that I can look at.
This is both a concession to Standard sucking AND the change to WotC PT scheduling.

traveler

Not Wario
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/35075_SCG-Tour-Season-Two-Announcements.html

Starcity are listening to their players, so the second half of the year is mostly Modern, with only two standard opens (the weeks that Hour and Ixaland release), two team construced and a bone thrown at the legacy people at washington. Neat, I like an extra 7 weekends of modern streams that I can look at.

I know it's not really their fault, but I really wish there was more West coast support.

When I left Georgia to move out here to Seattle, I thought there'd be a lot more in the way of events- having not paid much attention to the competitive scene before- given that it's the home of WotC and there's just generally a large number of geeks out here. Kinda crazy that the homeland of Magic is in one of the least supported regions of the country for the tourney scene.

It even makes sense for there not to be much Plainswalking. You can take hidden trails through mountains, dive through the sea, sneak through forests and know how to traverse swamps but plains are open fields, Plainswalking would thematically just be horsemanship.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Great Wall is part of a cycle:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Legends had a unique development trajectory, so a lot of the cards were going off what the designers assumed would be the direction in which Magic went without any real knowledge about it. Obviously the assumption here was that landwalk was going to be a pretty common keyword and players would want something to stop it.

DrArchon

Landwalking in general is just a terrible mechanic and I'm so glad it's gone. It's either a mechanic that does nothing because your opponent isn't playing the right colors are has too many non-basics, or it makes it so that your opponent can't play around your creatures in combat. There's no strategy or thinking involved. WotC used to have real hard-on for Landwalking for whatever reason, and I'm glad that they got over it.

Seriously, remember the incarnation cycle from Judgment, and how each of them did something interesting, except for Filth?

Image.ashx

Poor poor Filth. You'll see all of the other incarnations in EDH, but never Filth.

OnPoint

Landwalking in general is just a terrible mechanic and I'm so glad it's gone. It's either a mechanic that does nothing because your opponent isn't playing the right colors are has too many non-basics, or it makes it so that your opponent can't play around your creatures in combat. There's no strategy or thinking involved. WotC used to have real hard-on for Landwalking for whatever reason, and I'm glad that they got over it.

Seriously, remember the incarnation cycle from Judgment, and how each of them did something interesting, except for Filth?

Image.ashx

Poor poor Filth. You'll see all of the other incarnations in EDH, but never Filth.
Except it's a great combo with

Image.ashx

Tunoku

Has anyone made a good argument why they're cutting GPTs? Player attendance at the one I went to last Saturday was pretty solid and it felt like participating in a Game Day, but the format was Modern instead of Standard. I am very late to the party, but feel like I'm gonna miss them once they're gone.

That was also to do with the Odyssey block narrative where black was supposed to be the weakest color in Judgment, with the fewest and worst cards.

So even then they knew landwalk was the booby prize of mechanics.

Firemind

Has anyone made a good argument why they're cutting GPTs? Player attendance at the one I went to last Saturday was pretty solid and it felt like participating in a Game Day, but the format was Modern instead of Standard. I am very late to the party, but feel like I'm gonna miss them once they're gone.
Because they don't hand out 3 byes anymore. I loved them because they weren't cutthroat and payed the travel fees, but Wizards wants to cut them probably because Hasbro is cheap af.

Supast4r

They're afraid of Control because any Control Deck that could post the same numbers as Eldrazi Tron would be warped beyond belief.

Doesn't mean that UW isn't absolute ass though in Modern compared to the other colors.
They aren't afraid of control and you have no proof to back up your points. They don't like draw go decks if that's what you saying but they are a-okay with decks like UW control which uses planeswalkers, grixis which uses a creature for its beat down plan, jeskai Nahiri/Saheeli for the same reasons as uw, etc. If your only idea of control is travis woo decks then they are adamant about them. Also UW control is approaching eldrazi trons numbers and I have heard zero complaining.

They aren't afraid of control and you have no proof to back up your points. They don't like draw go decks if that's what you saying but they are a-okay with decks like UW control which uses planeswalkers, grixis which uses a creature for its beat down plan, jeskai Nahiri/Saheeli for the same reasons as uw, etc. If your only idea of control is travis woo decks then they are adamant about them. Also UW control is approaching eldrazi trons numbers and I have heard zero complaining.
Bullshit on that last statement. From every source I've seen Eldrazi Tron is 11% to UW Controls 4%. That's nowhere near "approaching".

Also, when they say Draw-Go they mean the one archetype from Standard years ago.

Jeskai Saheeli/Nahiri/Grixis/UW all combined still represent way less of the field then Eldrazi Tron/Death's Shadow lumped together, and those are just two decks vs an entire Archetype.

The swing they made to making threats better then answers has Universally made new cards in RBG see more modern play then UW, considering 80% of Burn's core creatures come from the past 5 years,Abzan became a deck of its own thanks to Rhino, Fucking Eldrazi came up and now represents more meta then Control combined.

Let me make that clear:

Blue and White are so weak in Modern that a Mono-Colourless deck has almost twice the share of the meta then UW Control/Midrange. Like, I'm sorry, in what world does that represent a balanced color pie? In what world should Red Black Green and Colorless have access to Legacy power-level cards (Bolt, Thoughtseize, Goyf, and the Eldrazi Suite) while White and Blue are denied anything on par with these cards to run in the main board?

Green gets the best card filtering(Serum Visions ain't got shit on Ancient Stirrings getting to look at 5 and pick the best vs Draw 1 then Scry 2) vs Blue having R&D worry that Ancestral Visions was too strong and that Sword of the Meek would turn Lantern Control into Tier 0. Black gets access to a 1 Mana 7/7 while White gets told it can't have Stoneforge Mystic because that would "Limit the design space of Equipment and we can't have that".

Blue/White is good in Standard right now because Standard isn't full of decks that are killing you Turn 4 through dismal Counterspells. The fact that we didn't get a Revolt Counterspell in AER is baffling to me.

Supast4r

Bullshit on that last statement. From every source I've seen Eldrazi Tron is 11% to UW Controls 4%. That's nowhere near "approaching".

Also, when they say Draw-Go they mean the one archetype from Standard years ago.

Jeskai Saheeli/Nahiri/Grixis/UW all combined still represent way less of the field then Eldrazi Tron/Death's Shadow lumped together, and those are just two decks vs an entire Archetype.

The swing they made to making threats better then answers has Universally made new cards in RBG see more modern play then UW, considering 80% of Burn's core creatures come from the past 5 years,Abzan became a deck of its own thanks to Rhino, Fucking Eldrazi came up and now represents more meta then Control combined.

Let me make that clear:

Blue and White are so weak in Modern that a Mono-Colourless deck has almost twice the share of the meta then UW Control/Midrange. Like, I'm sorry, in what world does that represent a balanced color pie? In what world should Red Black Green and Colorless have access to Legacy power-level cards (Bolt, Thoughtseize, Goyf, and the Eldrazi Suite) while White and Blue are denied anything on par with these cards to run in the main board?

Green gets the best card filtering(Serum Visions ain't got shit on Ancient Stirrings getting to look at 5 and pick the best vs Draw 1 then Scry 2) vs Blue having R&D worry that Ancestral Visions was too strong and that Sword of the Meek would turn Lantern Control into Tier 0. Black gets access to a 1 Mana 7/7 while White gets told it can't have Stoneforge Mystic because that would "Limit the design space of Equipment and we can't have that".

Blue/White is good in Standard right now because Standard isn't full of decks that are killing you Turn 4 through dismal Counterspells. The fact that we didn't get a Revolt Counterspell in AER is baffling to me.

Considering that UW control was 1% percent of the meta prior to getting Gideon of the Trails/As fortold/Censor, yeah 4% is a big jump for the deck. A colorless deck has twice the share because it has a land that taps for two mana or did you forget that? It's the reason why tron has been fused into this deck. Blue DID get those cards unbanned and they had a good reason for banning them since combo/faeries ran rampant in extended; another fact that you leave out. You complain about Mystic yet want it unbanned. You do realize that decks like Abzan/bant eldrazi just slot it in since Mystic is EASILY splashable in most decks. We didnt' get a great counterspell becasue blue has a snapcaster mage effect in it's colors in torrential gearhulk and the last thing that they want to do is make draw go good. (which again there are different types of control decks)

Things are NEVER going to be balanced because the best in the world will figure a way to find the busted strategies. This is true in EVERY COMPETITIVE GAME IN HISTORY. Things are always a give and take. In order to play answers in modern and do well on a consistent basis, you need discard + liliana at the base because those answers are better than most other answers. We all remember the old days when blue/black got crazy good non-creature spells while other colors got left by the waste-side. With the release of Hour of Devatastion and wizards's commitment to making better answers, I'm hopeful. Also show me the stats where eldrazi tron is 11 percent because you are just making up stats. Here is the last tier list that they have made and eldrazi tron is 6-7% of the meta which isn't warping. It sounds like you just hate the deck. If you do there are other formats such as standard.

(https://www.mainphasemtg.net/gaming...ered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-5817)

El Topo

Just unban Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise and JTMS. Just burn Modern to the ground. Burn it to the ground until there is nothing left. Make the people see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom