• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the lesson here that "net-decking" really is just deck building unless you are being unreasonably competitive/expensive for your meta? It's really just an insult to be hurled, and not a clearly define-able thing?[/SPOILER]

It's definable, but the thing about insults is that no matter how rigidly they're defined, people will use them outside the bounds of that definition for the sake of emphasis. That's more of a language thing than a Magic thing. (See also: the euphemistic treadmill for people with learning disabilities over the course of history.)

noquarter

Everything is a net deck now. I wouldn't even worry about it honestly, since no matter what you do, if it is good and has been out for more than a month it has probably been posted online somewhere and if it is good you will be accused of net decking if it wins, unless you were the first person to post it.

Learned this during Innistrad, made a cool UR deck and my friend got butthurt and said anyone can netdeck, so his deck is better and didn't want to play against that deck anymore. The deck really built itself at the time and I didn't optimize it or anything, just took my red deck wins deck and added blue to it.

I never looked up a list after that for the deck and just worked on my Vampire deck. Also not a net deck, but at a FNM ran into a kid with the same deck. His list was different than mine, but he thought we went off the same list. Once again pretty much just got told that my deck was net decked. Gave up after that.

So, really, just who cares. Embrace the community aspect of the game and play what you like. There is almost always enough space in any deck to Add your 'flavor' to it, so do whatever you want. Aetherworks Marvel should be enough to show you that it doesn't really matter. The deck kind of builds itself if you understand the card and see the rest of the set. If you run it unoptimized, not net decked and win with it, your opponent still will think you net decked it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So is doing a vessel of malignity. The +2 at least gets you to the relevant activations quicker

I don't know what Vessel of Malignity does, and I'm guessing off the top of the average players' head almost nobody does - assuming you're talking about the +1, I don't know what to tell you if you think the +1 is bad because the +2 gets you to the -12 faster. The average result of casting cards off the top of your opponent's deck is likely to be worse than basically locking your opponent out of the game.

If your argument is that the +1 is bad, your argument probably is that Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh is bad.

I don't know what Vessel of Malignity does.

I just now had to look it up, not least of all because I was like, "Isn't it Vessel of Malignancy?" (Spoiler: it is not.)

It's kind of a weird card because it seems to want to be run in Delirium (as a means of putting an Enchantment in your graveyard), but if you want that effect in Delirium you almost certainly want Whispers of Emrakul instead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just now had to look it up, not least of all because I was like, "Isn't it Vessel of Malignancy?" (Spoiler: it is not.)

It's kind of a weird card because it seems to want to be run in Delirium (as a means of putting an Enchantment in your graveyard), but if you want that effect in Delirium you almost certainly want Whispers of Emrakul instead.

It's just a very obscure card to reference as a generic version of some effect. It's not like referencing Mind Rot or something (a card that's been in a billion sets).

The problem with arguing "that effect is bad" is that it's bad on Vessel of Malignity for reasons that have nothing to do with the specific effect itself.

A_Dang

Again, I'm not at all worried about being a "net-decker" or have even been accused of "net-decking." I'm just trying to figure out what the general census is as the definition of a "net-deck" because of a conversation I was involved with in my play group.

Angry Grimace

Again, I'm not at all worried about being a "net-decker" or have even been accused of "net-decking." I'm just trying to figure out what the general census is as the definition of a "net-deck" because of a conversation I was involved with in my play group.

A deck you got off the internet.

Trying to narrow it down further than that is an exercise in futility because that's the only sentence everyone will agree on.

A_Dang

A deck you got off the internet.

Trying to narrow it down further than that is an exercise in futility because that's the only sentence everyone will agree on.

BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!!

Yeah, that's what I was assuming when I first asked, but I figured it was worth exploring a bit.

mind rot discards. Vessel is one of the few that exiles 2 cards from hand.

I do think Bolas is kinda bad. If he didn't dome people for 7 repeatedly.

Bolas is a 7 drop, barring cheating him out the cards in hand have to be some obscure shit if Bolas resolves and can get something good with the +1.

Just realized, with less than two weeks until the next thread, we should start suggesting OT titles now.

Also, I plan on continuing the GIF theme, but I'll just spam CGI Scorpion King's entrance over and over. I almost regret already having his death in this thread.

I know, and what I'm telling you is that the problem is that there are people who will readily redefine it as a matter of convenience. Most people here have probably played at some point against an angry player who will insist any deck they lose to is a "net-deck" because it makes them feel better about the fact they lost by diminishing the victory in their mind.

As such, you kind of want to look at it from the angle of why the person(s) in question are talking about net-decking to begin with, rather than looking for some bulletproof argument you can print out to wave at them. And in this case, it sounds like as long as your deck isn't on the Top 10 Decks List for the format, it's probably not in "net-deck" territory for them.

Tunoku

Just realized, with less than two weeks until the next thread, we should start suggesting OT titles now.

Also, I plan on continuing the GIF theme, but I'll just spam CGI Scorpion King's entrance over and over. I almost regret already having his death in this thread.

I am a god. Get the Heart out the damn garage.
Fuck Jace and the whole cast. Tell them Beezy said them they can kiss my whole ass.
No one dragon should have all that power
I don't need your Marvel, bitch, I'm on my own dick
I just needed time alone with my own thoughts

Santiako

Less than two weeks for HOU preview to start? Man, Amonkhet just flew by.

Angry Grimace

mind rot discards. Vessel is one of the few that exiles 2 cards from hand.

I do think Bolas is kinda bad. If he didn't dome people for 7 repeatedly.

Bolas is a 7 drop, barring cheating him out the cards in hand have to be some obscure shit if Bolas resolves and can get something good with the +1.

It doesn't matter, nobody knows what Vessel does. You might as well say "Bolas' +1" because its silly to make people refer to a card that nobody understands without looking it up.

Angry Grimace

My only point is that the +1 is better than the +2. Your average topdeck of a card from your opponent's deck isn't anything particularly good. The +1 is at the very least repeatable card advantage.

A_Dang

why the person(s) in question are talking about net-decking to begin with

Without getting into the weeds too much the conversation was about if "net-decking" was against the "spirit" of commander as a format and if it was good or bad in that context. After the conversation I was thinking about it as realized that several people were likely using different definitions for what constitutes "net-decking."

I mean, realistically you're probably just firing off Bolas as a draco-cannon as often as possible, anyway. If you're in a position where you're just comfortably hemming and hawing over whether you'd rather +1 or +2 him your opponent probably needs to go ahead and scoop.

Santiako

Man, you guys get into some dumb discussions.

Also, Vessel wasn't that long ago, I knew what it did without looking it up.

Bolas V Samut: Fall of Amonkhet

Seriously though, I like the name, I just don't know what an appropriate theme is.

On the topic of Cyclical, how about that Stoneforge Mystic? When do you think we'll see Nahiri be proven right? How many Eldrazi can we stuff in one Hedron?

Angry Grimace

I just played a guy on Aetherworks Marvel and Pick the Brain'd Marvel with Delirium game one and the dispossessed Marvel and Picked Ulamog in the second game.

It felt rude.

Ashodin

because we have to keep this stupid asinine rap lyrics OT thing

Magic: The Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - I'm beginning to feel like a God-Pharaoh, God-Pharaoh (Eminem, Rap God)
Magic: The Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Why be a King, when you can be a God? (Eminem, Rap God)
Magic: The Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - What y'all thought y'all wasn't gon' see me? I'm the God-Pharaoh of this shit (Wu-Tang Clan, Triumph)

I just played a guy on Aetherworks Marvel and Pick the Brain'd Marvel with Delirium game one and the dispossessed Marvel and Picked Ulamog in the second game.

It felt rude.
Best feeling. When RG ramp was a thing in SOI pre EMN I ran a Grixis Control list that post board would strip all wincons from the deck. With the 3 mana spell from origins flashbacked with baby jace and GDD.

Angry Grimace

The rap lyrics thing got old. Magic players don't listen to popular music so its a waste of references unless its a pop culture reference to begin with.

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - Approach of the Second Son of Samut

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - Marvel Zombies

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - Jace-free for over 14 months!

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - What does God Need With a Heart of Kiran?

most decks are going to be net-decks

i (possibly incorrectly) label net-deckers as the people who just copy a list blindly without understanding why each card is in there or how it's supposed to be played

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Magic: The Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Turn down for Samut!

Daedardus

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - Standard Went Shit, Magic Digital Next

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - Good Heavens, Just Look at the Marvelous Time!

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Hour of Devastation - It's the End of Standard as We Know It

A_Dang

I also like Marvel Zombies

Or something like:
|OT| Discontent comes Standard!
(to play off of the other "Discontent" suggestion)

Tunoku

I didn't get the Marvel Zombies one. I googled it and apparently it's a limited comic book series. Was it super popular or something? Just curious since I'm not a big comic guy.

Yeef

I didn't get the Marvel Zombies one. I googled it and apparently it's a limited comic book series. Was it super popular or something? Just curious since I'm not a big comic guy.
Marvel Zombies was a comic book event, and also the two big decks at the last pro tour (Aetherworks Marvel and various flavors of Zombie-tribal).

Zocano

You know, Nicol, we really are the Marvel Zombies

I also read Marvel Zombies as "marvel zombies" like a bunch of mindless fools that can only play marvel for wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom