• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Explorers of Ixalan is an out-of-the-box multiplayer Magic experience that challenges you to defeat your opponents along the way as you search for the lost city. Begin your exploration on November 24, 2017.

I'm very curious what this is. It'd be pretty interesting if this is a box they can put on the shelf next to other card/board games that includes a full Magic experience.

Santiako

I'm very curious what this is. It'd be pretty interesting if this is a box they can put on the shelf next to other card/board games that includes a full Magic experience.

Yeah, specially since it includes tiles and counters, wonder what the hell it is.

contents:

4 60-card decks
20 double-sided tokens
50 game tiles
40 counter pieces
4 deck boxes

Santiako

Boo, Maro, boo, you suck:

8d2GKYw.png

ultron87

Oh, I didn't even see the contents stuff. So it's probably like a tile laying game, where you lay out pieces of the lost city or something, but you're also playing Magic. No new cards means it won't have any cards or new rules that specifically interact with the game, so that means it is something that could theoretically work with any deck of cards?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thing in the Ice, Arlinn, and Duskwatch Recruiter are all good ones from SOI. I would laugh hard if we saw Ulrich. We're probably going to get a few flavour cards that aren't really playable, such as Elusive Tormentor and Startled Awake.
Has Arlin ever been in a real deck? How is she a good choice? How are transform cards a good choice? Why is FTV still a thing?

What tribes are being featured in this year's Commander product

Oh right. Yeah I'm definitely a little bummed that we didn't get that, and that there aren't a few more teaser details for some of these products.

Un3 masterpieces should be silver boardered P9/Dual Lands with MTGO Art and otherwise normal frames. Gets them into cube and casual player hands, doesn't violate the reserved list, and gives people a reason to buy packs

I think this would actually be too appealing, heh. You don't want people buying giant stacks of the thing for legal proxies and tossing everything else in the garbage.

(I do really hope that if they insist on being difficult about the Reserved List they eventually find an excuse and a good product structure to do gold-bordered reprints like this again.)

Oh, I didn't even see the contents stuff. So it's probably like a tile laying game, where you lay out pieces of the lost city or something, but you're also playing Magic. No new cards means it won't have any cards or new rules that specifically interact with the game, so that means it is something that could theoretically work with any deck of cards?

Yeah, it's another entry in the category with Planechase and Archenemy, a metagame you put on top of a normal multiplayer game. I'm guessing however this one works is specific enough that they didn't want to theme it in a way that was more generalizable.

Has Arlin ever been in a real deck? How is she a good choice? How are transform cards a good choice? Why is FTV still a thing?

Transform is a "good" choice because it's all cards that basically can't be reprinted otherwise. FTV is still a thing because they still want a product to exist as a gimme to stores, I guess.

Hahahahaha this is hilarious
I take back what I said, Un3 is already funny.

^^

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm disappointed in no Planechase. I really want new plane cards

Also how many playable merfolk are actually gonna be in that duel deck?

MAGIC STORY: FEAST

The Gatewatch encounters Rakazeth and defeats him. Then Liliana eats him. Rakazeth done lol
That more or less sums it up.
* Rakazeth evokes his contract to take control of Liliana's body.
* He explains that he isn't sure what will happen next in Bolas's plan either. Bolas told him to turn the river into blood, and now he's just going to sit back and watch the rest.
* The rest of the Gatewatch attack him. Eventually, Liliana has enough control to join in. She reaches for her Chain Veil, only to realize she doesn't actually need it here. EDIT: Because the other Gatewatch have already weakened him.
* She commands the corpses in the river to consume Rakazeth, taking so much glee in this that the others get uncomfortable.
* Everyone is awkward around her, but they go off to help everyone else.

I'm disappointed in no Planechase. I really want new plane cards

Agreed. Hoping that since we finally got new Schemes this year we'll get new planes in 2019 or something. We know Planechase is more popular and we just got the Anthology to help keep it in people's minds.

If it weren't for the fact that it's be hard to print, I'd love for the Vanilla Mythic to be a Scratch and Sniff Ice Cream Cone card.

You know there was a point where Unglued 2 was going to have scratch-n-sniff cards, right?

* He explains that he isn't sure what will happen next in Bolas's plan either. Bolas told him to turn the river into blood, and now he's just going to sit back and watch the rest.
* The rest of the Gatewatch attack him. Eventually, Liliana has enough control to join in. She reaches for her Chain Veil, only to realize she doesn't actually need it here.
* She commands the corpses in the river to consume Rakazeth, taking so much glee in this that the others get uncomfortable.

Wasn't the whole point of the Chain Veil that it could kill demons *permanently*? Why is Amonkhet different?

Korgill

* The rest of the Gatewatch attack him. Eventually, Liliana has enough control to join in. She reaches for her Chain Veil, only to realize she doesn't actually need it here.

Is Liliana back on the path of being the big bad in a couple of sets?

OnPoint

mtg wiki. These guys apparently made it.

Onakke is on Shandalar.

Why do people think it only works on Innistrad and isn't "cross dimensional"

I think it's possible there's something with connected between it and Amonkhet, but I don't think it doesn't work there. She didn't need it, right? That's different than it not working.

The Ixalan thread subtitle should just be "dinosaurs with feathers" to get maximum GAF rage.

Magic The Gathering |OT13| Captain Jack Sparow-saur

Onakke is on Shandalar.

Why do people think it only works on Innistrad and isn't "cross dimensional"

I think it's possible there's something with connected between it and Amonkhet, but I don't think it doesn't work there. She didn't need it, right? That's different than it not working.
I meant the way it perma kills griselbrand isn't guaranteed to work everywhere because the demons aren't uniform in nature. The chain veil is from Shandalaar.

The way I see trans dimensional is adapting to a planes properties, as in changing form and such.

OnPoint

I meant the way it perma kills griselbrand isn't guaranteed to work everywhere because the demons aren't uniform in nature. The chain veil is from Shandalaar.

The way I see trans dimensional is adapting to a planes properties, as in changing form and such.

But didn't it also kill the guy from Origins? That's 3/4 down now. Did they make a point to say their deaths are in any way different from each other?

And on that note, who is last in line now?

But didn't it also kill the guy from Origins? That's 3/4 down now. Did they make a point to say their deaths are in any way different from each other?

And on that note, who is last in line now?

Kothophed yeah, he dead. The other came up in magic duels, Ashodin mentioned him couple posts ago.

Innistrad demons apparently reform on death. The Chain Veil powered spell utterly eradicated him so he couldn't reform.

Violet_0

Banned
Magic The Gathering |OT12| We honestly couldn't come up with a good thread title now that they banned Marvel and our puns don't work anymore
I don't even understand the setting. So it's Aztec mixed with pirates, foreign settlers and dinosaurs?
pretty typical for New World fantasy settings. It's almost exactly like the Warhammer South America-inspired setting, for example

OnPoint

Kothophed yeah, he dead. The other came up in magic duels, Ashodin mentioned him couple posts ago.

Innistrad demons apparently reform on death. The Chain Veil powered spell utterly eradicated him so he couldn't reform.

Which is cool. But none of this is answering my original questions. Why would it suddenly not be "cross dimensional" in power (especially since we've seen her use it in multiple non-Innistrad places)? Why would we assume the other two dead non-Grisseldaddy demons aren't perma dead (especially if they never had auto-res powers)?

I think there's some conclusion leaping here, is all I'm saying. The reason they pointed this out with Grisselbrand is two-fold. First, they had to find a way to get around the plane's lore with demons auto-resurrecting. And second, it displayed the awesome power of the artifact she was using by breaking the rules on a powerful enemy. Them not mentioning it while killing the other demons doesn't mean they're coming back. They were never established to have that power. Her not needing it on Amonkhet development is a new wrinkle, of course, but that seems to be unrelated to the Veil's functionality and more her connection with some kind of power on Amonkhet.

I do believe demon four is going to cause problems, however.

Magic The Gathering |OT12| We honestly couldn't come up with a good thread title now that they banned Marvel and our puns don't work anymore

Both myself and AG submitted riffs on Marvel-less/Marvelous. Some variation of this feels right to me.

Yeef

I feel like you guys are missing the point. Liliana isn't powerful enough to take on the demons 1 vs. 1. Against Griselbrand and Kothophed, she used the power of the Chain Veil as a handicap. Against Razaketh, she didn't need it, because she had the rest of the gatewatch helping her; it was 5 vs. 1.

lol, amazing. Truly the definition of Bulk Rare (but sells for $0.40).

One deck: https://edhrec.com/cards/sheltering-prayers

Sheltering Prayers was legit sideboard tech back in the day versus decks that wanted to Stone Rain every turn starting on turn 2.

I think Erayo, Soratami Ascendant is a shoe-in for From the Vault: Transform.

There will also probably be a popular Morph creature in there, but I'm not sure which one since Exalted Angel was already in FTV Angels. Maybe Krosan Cloudscraper?

OnPoint

I feel like you guys are missing the point. Liliana isn't powerful enough to take on the demons 1 vs. 1. Against Griselbrand and Kothophed, she used the power of the Chain Veil as a handicap. Against Razaketh, she didn't need it, because she had the rest of the gatewatch helping her; it was 5 vs. 1.

Actually having read the story now, you're right. I'm so underwhelmed now haha It's so much more straightforward than I thought.

Santiako

Sheltering Prayers was legit sideboard tech back in the day versus decks that wanted to Stone Rain every turn starting on turn 2.

I think Erayo, Soratami Ascendant is a shoe-in for From the Vault: Transform.

There will also probably be a popular Morph creature in there, but I'm not sure which one since Exalted Angel was already in FTV Angels. Maybe Krosan Cloudscraper?

None of those will be there, all cards are double faced.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/vault-transform

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The last demon is named Belzenlok. I'm sure it will show up eventually. It was in Duels at some point.

Which is cool. But none of this is answering my original questions. Why would it suddenly not be "cross dimensional" in power (especially since we've seen her use it in multiple non-Innistrad places)? Why would we assume the other two dead non-Grisseldaddy demons aren't perma dead (especially if they never had auto-res powers)?

I think there's some conclusion leaping here, is all I'm saying. The reason they pointed this out with Grisselbrand is two-fold. First, they had to find a way to get around the plane's lore with demons auto-resurrecting. And second, it displayed the awesome power of the artifact she was using by breaking the rules on a powerful enemy. Them not mentioning it while killing the other demons doesn't mean they're coming back. They were never established to have that power. Her not needing it on Amonkhet development is a new wrinkle, of course, but that seems to be unrelated to the Veil's functionality and more her connection with some kind of power on Amonkhet.

I do believe demon four is going to cause problems, however.
You're reading too much into if demons had other forms of resurrection the chain veil doesn't necessitate permadeath since it's just a raw power increase is all I'm saying.
Say demons on a plane use horcrux/one ring style form of resurrection. Since the split in soul would happen ahead of a confrontation any amount of power couldn't amount to permadeath. Demon being unbound to physical form is a general thematic theme across fantasy. In D&D they are barred from walking the physical realm for 100 years for instance unless the one who had slain them releases them from that binding.

transdimensional was meant as in it doesn't adapt its properties to a plane, it always has the same function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom