• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

He apparently only wanted JUST so many Eternals.

I am so disappointed by the whole Bolas Plan plotline now.

So much potential wasted.

ultron87

Is the Gatewatch's presence maybe what causes Bolas to break everything? Or is it being presented like he didn't even know they were there till after everything started exploding?

Crocodile

V3P2W7R.png

Source

Look who is back, back again!

EDIT: Goddamn snipers :/

Planeshift, Mirrodin Beseiged, OGW, and Eldritch Moon are all good sets.

I've never played with the first set but I agree with the others

DrArchon

Is the Gatewatch's presence maybe what causes Bolas to break everything? Or is it being presented like he didn't even know they were there till after everything started exploding?

I don't see why he'd need to wreck everything and everyone to deal with a handful of planeswalkers that clearly pose no threat to them. He could've easily dealt with them and convinced everyone that they were dangerous heretics and intruders and his followers would've been none the wiser.

It really feels like he's breaking everything just because they wanted the end set to be Armageddon and have the return be rebuilding from the rubble.

Hero

Yeah, I'm still not sure what Bolas' plans were.

Why is he fucking up his own plane for seemingly no good reason?

ultron87

Maybe by destroying the plane and coming back later he can then get an even better set of zombie soldiers out of the survivors. The ultimate trial is surviving this or something like that.

Violet_0

Banned
I mean, you can always just be a BG Snake deck and survive the 5 damage to your creatures.
you need 3x +1/+1 counters on all your non-gearhulk creatures, though, and the planeswalker sideboard plan won't work either. Certainly not unrealistic, but G/B often stays within the 5 toughness range

Pundere

I've been playing a Grixis control deck for weeks in anticipation of a new Bolas card. This set is fixing pretty much every issue the deck has had and giving me a lot of new cards to try out.

HOU is fairly disappointing as a whole, but I'm really excited to keep playing this deck for the foreseeable future.

Bolas' mechanical identity just isn't very good.

If you mean "good" like "constructed playable," maybe not.

If you mean it's not well defined, I disagree. He is all about taking things away from the opponent (creatures, cards in hand, life), and what he can't take for himself, he still strips it away. He is ruthless and thorough in his efforts to destroy his opponents, ideally leaving them with nothing on the battlefield and nothing in hand.

This is consistent in all three of his planeswalker cards.

Tunoku

you need 3x +1/+1 counters on all your non-gearhulk creatures, though, and the planeswalker sideboard plan won't work either. Certainly not unrealistic, but G/B often stays within the 5 toughness range

It's enough for one creature to survive to be a pain in the butt, but the deck would probably contain a high density of decenter 1 for 1 removal as well. I wonder what the best shell for this is gonna be. The fact that Torrential Gearhulk survives it naturally is really strong as well.

Supast4r

What do you mean by that? I think he's a bad clock and has a useless ult.

They showed him at Vegas already.

Bolas is EXTREMELY disappointing since the entire set is designed around him. Maro called this set a top down bolas set and it's sad that the main card of the set may not even be constructed playable. For comparison, Elsepth from Theros and Ugin from Khans were both high drop planeswalkers that defined their formats. I wanted his power level to match them and he doesn't do that. If there is any board state bolas is useless unless it's one creature. He fits thematically but that's really not that hard to do with him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you mean "good" like "constructed playable," maybe not.

If you mean it's not well defined, I disagree. He is all about taking things away from the opponent (creatures, cards in hand, life), and what he can't take for himself, he still strips it away. He is ruthless and thorough in his efforts to destroy his opponents, ideally leaving them with nothing on the battlefield and nothing in hand.

This is consistent in all three of his planeswalker cards.

His mechanical identity doesn't lend itself to constructed level cards like I imagine they thought God-Pharaoh would be. His signature ability is discard, which is generally useless at 7+ mana. It works on Karn because Karn's plus gives him four loyalty.

Santiako

Weird combination of effects there.

Sifter Wurm 5GG
Creature - Wurm (uncommon)
Trample
When Sifter Wurm enters the battlefield, scry 3, then reveal the top card of your library. You gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
7/7

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My opponent duressed me and I had Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Elspeth, Knight-Errant in my hand. He took Gideon, but I think that was wrong choice - agree or disagree? (Playing generic W/B)

Yeef

My opponent duressed me and I had Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Elspeth, Knight-Errant in my hand. He took Gideon, but I think that was wrong choice - agree or disagree? (Playing generic W/B)
Need way more to know for sure. If it's turn 1 vs. turn 6, it makes a big difference. It also makes a big difference to know what his deck was doing and what the board state looked like.

[EDIT] Derp. I was thinking Elspeth Sun's Champion. I think taking the Elspeth is definitely right between the two.

Violet_0

Banned

unless you were planning to beat him to death with the +3/+3 flying buff, AoZ is just plain better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom