• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's "Greatest Games of All Time" 2011 Edition (Voting ends Feb. 13 11:59 P.M PST)

Idioteque

1.Metal Gear Solid 3
2.Chrono Trigger
3.Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
4.Phantasy Star Online
5.Super Mario World
6.Metal Gear Solid
7.Super Metroid
8.Sonic the Hedgehog
9.Tetris
10.Soul Calibur

hokey1

1: Crackdown
2: Gta 4
3: Madden 93
4: Warlords (2600 Version)
5: Adventure (2600)
6: Uncharted 2
7: Mario 64
8: Halo
9: Quake 2
10: Metal Gear Solid 4

Flakster99

1: Everquest
2: Final Fantasy VI
3: Baldur's Gate 2
4: Diablo 2
5: Chrono Trigger
6: Super Metroid
7: The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past
8: Final Fantasy IV
9: Wave Race 64
10: Super Mario World

92 total games polled across 13 platforms with 22 games leading the way on the SNES.

parasight

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. Super Mario 64
3. Rock Band
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. World of Warcraft
6. Pokemon Red/Blue
7. Team Fortress 2
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
9. Megaman Battle Network 3
10. Assassins Creed Brotherhood

Top 3 Explanations:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
After playing Ocarina of Time it was tough to believe any Zelda game could match it. What came was one of the most compelling and resonating game I've ever played. I don't think any game will match the eye-opening experience that was Majora's Mask. I was at the age where I was still susceptible to shock in the games world as I didn't follow it heavily and pretty much came in blind, expecting something similar to Ocarina. The most memorable experience of my life as a gamer.

2. Super Mario 64
The best platforming experience I've ever had. Each world and each star was distinct and memorable. Considering I owned a Genesis and never played a SNES/NES before I got my N64 it was really my first complete encounter with a Mario game. Even without witnessing 2D platforming mastery transform into 3D platforming mastery this game set the bar for what I expected on a Nintendo platform.

3. Rock Band
Guitar Hero provided the necessary step in eventually creating the greatest party game ever made. Fusing plastic guitars with karaoke and the prospect of drums teaching a real life skill is the perfect formula for a night full of laughs (especially when intoxicated). I've never spent more money on any game than I have on this entire franchise. Instruments-aside I've probably blown about $300-$400 on DLC alone, over the course of about 4 years of course. The longevity and relevance the franchise has maintained is simply incredible, and while the bubble may be bursting, the game left a strong impact on my gaming life (and wallet).

1: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2: Metroid Prime
3: Super Metroid
4: Left 4 Dead
5: Golden Sun
6: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7: Final Fantasy X
8: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
9: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
10: Assassin's Creed II

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
2. Kirby Superstar
3. Half-Life 2
4. Shadow of the Collossus
5. Jet Grind Radio
6. Megaman Legends
7. Metal Gear Solid 3
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Uncharted 2
10. Legend of Zelda: Windwaker

VerTiGo

Banned
1: Super Metroid
2: Super Street Fighter IV
3: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
5: F-Zero GX
6: Super Mario Galaxy 2
7: Shadow of the Colossus
8: Star Fox (SNES)
9: Metroid Prime
10: RalliSport Challenge 2

The unfortunate part is that I could have picked other games in there with that belong just as much as much as the others. Well, my top 4 are undisputed personally however. Also, didn't want to give one particular series too much credit, but I had to go with one 3D Mario, so I chose Galaxy over SM64. Argh, the pressure!

Too much Metroid Prime, not enough Super Metroid. These tell a lot about some of our ages.

seady

1: Secret of Mana (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

2: The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

3: Animal Crossing (Gamecube)

4: Final Fantasy VI (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

5: Resident Evil 2 (Playstation)

6: Pokemon Gold / Silver (Game Boy Color)

7: Silent Hill 2 (Playstation 2)

8: Shenmue (Sega Dreamcast)

9: Super Mario World (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

10: Dragon Force (Saturn)

-----------
Honorable Mentions:
Lumines, Kirby Canvas Curse, Starcraft, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Red Dead Redemption, Katamari Damacy, Resident Evil 4, Warioware

Baki

1: Final Fantasy X (PS2)
2: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
3: SimCity 4 (PC)
4: Sims (PC)
5: Street Fighter Alpha 2 (PSX)
6: Age of Empires II (PC)
7: Tekken 3 (PSX)
8: Gran Turismo (PSX)
9: Uncharted 2 (PS3)
10: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (MULTI)

Honourable Mentions:

- GTA 3 (MULTI)
- GTA: San Andreas (MULTI)
- GTA: Vice City (MULTI)
- Star Wars: Knights of the old republic (PC)
- Civillizations IV (PC)
- Pokemon Yellow (GBC)
- Halo 2 (XBOX)
- Urbz: Sims in the City (GBA)

croddam

Unconfirmed Member
1: Final Fantasy XII
2: Rock Band 3
3: Burnout Paradise
4: Tetris
6: Uncharted 2
7: Total Annihilation
8: UFO: Enemy Unknown
9: SimCity 2000
10: Super Mario 64

HMs: ICO, Team Fortress Classic, Freecell, Earth and Beyond, Dungeon Seige 2, Tony Hawk 2

This was very hard to do! Here is some insight into my madness
1: FFXII: Honestly if you asked me what I thought the greatest game of all time was before I made this list I doubt I would have answered FFXII but there it is. With a great story and an even greater battle system I loved pretty much every second I played of this game! FFXII is the best rpg SE has made by far so by default makes it the best game of all time.
2: RB3: Number two spot is easy, RB3 is simply the best music game ever made. Between the 600+ songs I own and the ongoing DLC this game will keep me rocking out for at least another 3-4 years before I could possibly get sick of it!
3: Burnout Paradise: Hands down the most fun I've ever had in any racing game. Only thing that came close to the amount of fun I've received from this game is Episode 1 Pod Racer and BP totally blows that game out of the water. Between chaining stunts for points, shutting down opponents, running for your life, or just straight up racing 200mph through city streets, mountain roads, and all kinds of crazy shortcuts is it any wonder that this game finishes my top 3?
4: Tetris: This would be higher but I literally have not played any form of this for at least a year now, which considering its on every platform in existence makes avoiding it quite the feat.
5: Chrono Trigger: Some of the best characters in gaming with a great and fun story combined with solid gameplay lets CT easily round out my Top 5.
6: Uncharted 2: Love the characters. Love the themes. Love Drake's "We were almost in that". Love Sully and "Hookers in Church". Love this game!
7: Total Annihilation: What do you mean I don't have to send peons out to collect wood?! That startling revelation after years of Warcrafts, C&Cs, and Dune 2 cemented this game as my favorite RTS of all time. Great music, balanced sides, and great memories with friends doesn't hurt either.
8: X-Com: You got your tactical action in my realtime base management! Two great tastes that taste great together, X-COM (in stores now)
9: SimCity 2k: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EA WHY HAS THERE NOT BEEN A NEW SIMCITY GAME IN 7 YEARS!!!!!!!!!! While I'm not proud to admit it I've taken to playing CityVille because I'm that desperate for a new city to build :(
10: Super Mario 64: Was hard to pick between this an ICO but I think I made the right choice. All I have to do is think of the music and a smile comes on my face, not much more needs to be said I think.

Honorable mentions:
ICO: Unbelievable amounts of atmosphere draws me into the world almost instantly whenever I sit down to play
TFC: Great community with a great game, also three words "2fort Sniper Battles"
Freecell: The hell is wrong with me how have I played almost 4000 games I just installed win7 like 6 months ago :(
Earth and Beyond: In no way a great game but damn if my first mmo didn't get me for around 2500 hours actually playing. The scary part is not 2 days ago I got a craving to play it again. *shudder* (Thanks EA for saving me from myself!)
Dungeon Seige 2: I don't know why but I hated Diablo but damn if I didn't put a couple hundred hours into this knock off! lol
Tony Hawk 2: I really wanted this on my top 10 but no room. Its hard to describe the amount of fun this game is. When you can cruise around Skate Heaven with low grav mode doing 1080 kickflips off of just an ollie you have to admit you're playing a great game.

Kujo

1: Donkey Kong Country 2
2: Super Mario World
3: Yoshi's Island
4: Metroid Prime
5: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7: Jet Set Radio
8: Resident Evil 4
9: Halo 2
10: Burnout 3

chase

1: Half-Life
2: ICO
3: Metroid Prime
4: Super Mario Bros.
5: Grand Theft Auto III
6: Skies of Arcadia
7: Final Fantasy III
8: Street Fighter II
9: Deus Ex
10: BioShock

1. Max Payne
2. Bioshock
3. Castlevania Symphony Of The Night
4. Silent Hill
5. Max Payne 2
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Conker Bad Fur Day
8. Zelda OoT
9. Half Life 2
10. XIII

GhaleonQ

Again, my top 30 or my favorite series list would be heavily tilted toward 1989-1995, but this is about single entries. My favorite gaming year is 1995, but there's no entry from that year. 2008 is certainly not my favorite year of video games, either (2000's at the podium). My taste is a little more eclectic than is represented here, but I'm not going to deny a worthy entry just because other people know and love it. That said, given my genre and style preferences, these are somewhat predictable. As always, Hardcore Gaming 101 and Action Button are great English-language resources. My previous list is here, and only 1 changed: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18297789&postcount=292

The tallying list and unpretentious English titles are at the bottom.

10: Strider Hiryu 2 (2000)
Strider_Hiryu_1_2.jpg

There is no video game more transformed from novice to expert play. I'm convinced. What was once shrugged at by credit-feeding games writers turned out to be an appreciation of video game movement. Let me put it this way: it didn't take a future-cyber-secret-agent-Communist-battling-space-ninja in the lead to convince me that Strider was cool.

09: Galactic Civilizations II (2006)
109158_front.jpg

My ideal strategy game is a tactical R.P.G. that matches or surpasses all of the inspired design of my existing favorites with none of the drawbacks or incomplete design present in all of them. Until then, I'll have to content myself with bottom-to-top attentiveness not to what I thought I wanted from the game, but from what I never knew I did. The developer gets my appreciation for respecting my personal views and my respect for stretching my gaming ones. Oh, and its customization makes me giddy to this day.

08: Panel Pon Gamecube (2003)
Nintendo_Puzzle_Collection_Boxart.jpg

PuzzleLeagueAttack.jpg

Let's say you're tasked with adding an extended story mode, remixes and classic music, pastel aesthetics, charming intra-generational design, a puzzle-solving mode, an edit mode, a training mode, a 3-d mode, and a 4-player versus mode on top of an existing famous puzzle game. On what do you build your foundation? Oh, right. Panel Pon.

07: Bangaio Spirits (2008)
518nFM%2B2e4L.jpg

The constancy of shoot-'em-ups is unmatched by any other genre, so it figures that my favorite loops awkwardly around the standard entries. Other famous series offer the joys of comedy, pure geometry, religious mysticism, and arcade amazement. Bangaio Spirits offers puzzles. I adore it for that.

06: Devil's Castle Dracula: The Stolen Glyphs (2008)
611dkNfLVHL.jpg

I expressed embarrassment about picking a new and untested video game on my last iteration of my list, but no more. It's not a "hazard," but a joy to defend a title of such obvious quality. My favorite protagonist and story in the series lead a game combining the best environmental, combat, role-playing, and difficulty design of entries past. That it so far exceeded a disastrous amalgamation refutes, I think, those who'd dismiss the handheld entries as unimaginatively constructed.

05: Bakumatsu Romance, Act 1: Swordsmen Of The Moonlight; Bakumatsu Romance, Act 2: A Glowing Moon Waxes, A Petal Falls And Flutters (1998; 1999)
TLBJ.jpg
001213_l.jpg
1208014849.jpg

In a genre known for its unabashed (some would say pathetic) gaudiness, I turn toward a series with class. I'm not ashamed of cat girl nuns, poorly voiced relics of an earlier 3-d age, or the nadir of anime, butt-rock, and cheese electronica, but who wouldn't rather dash, parry, and strike at Japan's pivot to "modernity" and the West? It's expertly rendered and finely tuned. Quit cycling baby combos and embrace it.

04: Super Mario World (1990)
SMW.jpg

Few things irritate me more than a defence that, implicitly or explicitly, amounts to, "This evokes pure, childlike joy in me!" It implies developers are cashing in on past glory. Sorry, Nintendo fanboys, but they EARNED this one. I couldn't expect a better welcome to my favorite era than the definitive gleeful platform adventure. The oddness, the addition of exploration, and the Yoshi are just bonuses.

03: Final Fantasy IX (2000)
FFIX.jpg

It doesn't take 1 of GhaleonQ's hallmark Pretentious Nerd Theories to appreciate the lovely bookends or stellar medieval/baroque aesthetics. There's nothing postmodern about the best ability system in any R.P.G. The flawlessly charming cast do work on 2 levels, after all. Such things make the game my 3rd favorite ever, however. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24130286&postcount=197

02: King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (1992)
25838_front.jpg

I've written before that I don't believe games age. If anything convinced me otherwise, it would be LucasArts. Yes, I started with and preferred Sierra since I started playing video games, but Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Sam And Max nearly matched Sierra's efforts. Perhaps it's the spans of clever graphic adventure games from Asia and Europe or the development of my comedic sense or the lack of dramatic tension or the sad decline of all of LucasArts' developers afterward, but all but Monkey Island have lost much esteem from me. Sierra, especially King's Quest VI, delivers the harsh rule of discipline, the warm familiarity of video game and fairytale convention, and lovely, thrilling originality to this day. SIERRA FOREVER. HERE I STAND. I CAN DO NO OTHER.

01: Moon: Remix R.P.G. Adventure (1997)
MoonCover.jpg

I quote myself: "How good is this, the pinnacle of games-as-art? I love Team Ico, but I'm unable to read all of the 'Ico' and 'Shadow Of The Colossus' picks without thinking the vast majority are obligatory 'art game' picks. Try the real thing, folks. Moon makes Ico look like Gears Of War.
You could read my essay here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376513
or just play it if you like:
Team Ico's philosophical approach
Games that make fun of RPGs
Games that celebrate RPGs
The Last Express' 'real-time world'
In-game customizable soundtracks
Japanese, American, or European adventure games
Mother 3's tone
Watercolor
Dragon Quest III as the archetypal video game
Games that make fun of video games
Games that make fun of you for playing them
“Weird stuff” in Super Mario R.P.G., Outrageous Crisis, or Grasshopper Manufacture’s work
Vanpool, Skip, and Punchline
Crying like a widdwe tyke
Games-as-art

I'm going to say it's EASILY the greatest game ever made. You should play it."

You still ought to do so.

01: Moon: Remix RPG Adventure
02: King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
03: Final Fantasy IX
04: Super Mario World
05: The Last Blade 2
06: Castlevania: Order Of Ecclesia
07: Bangai-O Spirits
08: Panel De Pon Gamecube
09: Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords/Dark Avatar/Twilight Of The Arnor
10: Strider 2

Last edited:
GhaleonQ said:
01. Moon: Remix R.P.G. Adventure (1997)
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/SketchesOfMoondays/Special/MoonCover.jpg[IMG]
I quote myself: "How good is this, the pinnacle of games-as-art? I love Team Ico, but I'm unable to read all of the 'Ico' and 'Shadow Of The Colossus' picks without thinking the vast majority are obligatory 'art game' picks. Try the real thing, folks. Moon makes Ico look like Gears Of War.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, to my knowledge it was never released outside of Japan. Hard to play it if it never comes out.

Ugh. This was difficult for me. So just for kicks I threw in some "honorable mentions." I could have kept going but stopped before I went insane. I kept on over-thinking things and kept switching games out of my top 10, lol.

2: Super Mario 3
3: Zelda: A Link to the Past
4: Descent II
5: Freespace 2
6: Diablo II
7: Half-Life 2
8: Uncharted 2
9: Mass Effect
10: StarCraft II

Honorable Mentions:

Contra
Mega Man X
Jedi Knight II
Donkey Kong Country 2
Zelda: Wind Waker
Team Fortress 2
X-Wing Alliance
Mass Effect 2
Crysis
Half-Life
Portal
Mechwarrior 4
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
StarCraft
Metroid Prime
Red Dead Redemption
Batman: Arkham Asylum

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea you liked FFIX that much, Ghaleon. It's always nice to see it get a bit of love.

GhaleonQ

Rez said:
I had no idea you liked FFIX that much, Ghaleon. It's always nice to see it get a bit of love.

Maybe it's just NeoGAF, but I feel like it's fought its way back from what used to be "IZ 7 OR 8 TEH BEST I LIEK CLOUD BUT QUISTIS PUTS ME IN TEH BONE ZONE" debates. I try to avoid posting in those topics because I get gooey over it and then I embarrass myself more than I usually do.

Edit: Also, you have to help me love Grim Fandango again. Tips?

Phatcorns

1: Halo: Combat Evolved
2: Metal Gear Solid
3: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4: Shadow of the Colossus
5: Halo 3
6: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
7: F-Zero
8: Final Fantasy VI
9: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
10: Final Fantasy Tactics

Some of these picks are because of the impact they had at the time, others are because they are just straight up some of the greatest games ever.

dragct

1: Devil May Cry
2: Metroid Prime
3: Prince of Persia (2008)
4: Resident Evil 4
5: Spyro the Dragon
6: Resident Evil (2002)
7: Assassin's Creed II
8: Alan Wake
9: God of War II
10: Braid

Eric Hall

1. Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
2. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Multi)
3. Half-Life (PC)
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
5. Rock Band 2 (Multi)
6. Halo: Combat Evolved (X-Box)
7. Megaman X (SNES)
8. Powerstone 2 (DC)
9. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
10. Soul Calibur (DC)

Explanations:

1. It's weird for me to describe why I always put this game as my top game. It is not the most impressive and it hasn't made the biggest impact on how I view games or anything. I think the reason I keep putting it there though is that it is the one game I can always come back to and play. I never get bored of it. No other game has ever managed to do that for me.

2. My favorite game of the PS2/Xbox/GCN generation. I love everything about this game. The setting is fantastic, the graphics were wonderful for the time, the ability to manipulate time was implemented masterfully. It also avoided the thing that made the other two games in the series not as good, which was focusing on combat more. The platforming and puzzles are what works best for the series and the first one got it right.

3. The greatest single-player shooter of all time. It may be dated now, but playing the game for the first time was an amazing experience. I still enjoy it more than the sequel (although 2 would definitely make a Top 20 list).

4. What else is there to really say about this game anymore? To me, it is 2-D platforming perfection. It is the pinnacle of a genre that has kept going. It strikes the perfect balance between fun and difficult that other games sometimes struggle with. Just an all time classic.

5. No other game in recent memory has cause me to invest such a great amount of time in it than Rock Band 2. The mechanics are perfected, the charts for the on-disc songs are some of the best in the genre (Peace Sells, Souls of Black, Anyway You Want It, The Trees, Alive, Psycho Killer) and the DLC for the game kept it going for a long time.

P90

GhaleonQ said:
Maybe it's just NeoGAF, but I feel like it's fought its way back from what used to be "IZ 7 OR 8 TEH BEST I LIEK CLOUD BUT QUISTIS PUTS ME IN TEH BONE ZONE" debates. I try to avoid posting in those topics because I get gooey over it and then I embarrass myself more than I usually do.

Edit: Also, you have to help me love Grim Fandango again. Tips?

Quistis is quite the awesomeness, though. <swoons> She is pretty much the only reason to play FF VIII.

1. Tetris
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
4. Sonic CD
5. Halo
6. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
7. Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
8. Gears of War
9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
10. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!

Polari

1: Shenmue
2: Shenmue II
3: F-Zero GX
4: Mother 3
5: Bully
6: Super Mario Sunshine
7: Chrono Trigger
8: Killer7
9: Duke Nukem 3D
10: Warcraft II

Ranger X

2: New Super Mario Bros Wii
3: Zelda A Link To The Past
4: Super Mario Kart
5: Shadow of the Collosus
6: Yoshi's Island
7: Super Mario Galaxy 2
8: GTA San Andreas
9: Resident Evil (gamecube version)
10: Gran Turismo 5

rbenchley

1: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2: Persona 4
3: Samurai Showdown II
4: Final Fantasy XII
5: Panzer Dragoon Saga
6: Valkyria Chronicles
7: Okami
8: Silent Hill 2
9: Phantom Dust
10: System Shock 2

GhaleonQ

P90 said:
Quistis is quite the awesomeness, though. <swoons> She is pretty much the only reason to play FF VIII.

Admittedly, she's my player 1 in that game, too, and the "Q" thing's a bonus.

Kenka

Polari said:
1: Shenmue
2: Shenmue II
3: F-Zero GX
4: Mother 3
5: Bully
6: Super Mario Sunshine
7: Chrono Trigger
8: Killer7
9: Duke Nukem 3D
10: Warcraft II

I knew I forgot something...

V_Ben

Banned
1: Grim Fandango
2: Shadow of the Colossus
3: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4: Full Throttle
5: Curse of Monkey Island (Monkey Island 3)
6: Super Mario Galaxy
7: Beyond Good & Evil
9: Psychonauts
10: Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

I have super odd taste.

ManeKast

1: Super Mario World
2: Zelda : A Link to the Past
3: UFO : Enemy Unknown
4: Final Fantasy VI
5: Super Metroid
6: System Shock 2
7: Baldurs Gate II : Shadows of Amn
8: Super Mario 64
9: Dragon Quest VIII
10: Sonic the Hedgehog

Yerolo

1: Half Life 2
2: Grand Theft Auto IV
3: Doom
4: Battlefield 2
5: Fallout 3
6: World of Warcraft
7: Bioshock
8: Secret of Monkey Island 1
9: FIFA 09
10: Theme Park

beast786

1: Metal Gear Solid
2: Gran Turismo 5 (was 3)
3: Rise of Nation
4:Company of Heroes
5:God of War 3
6:Little Big Planet
7:SOTC
9: Super Mario 3
10: Mortal Kombat 3

Codeblue

1: Super Mario World
2: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
3: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4: Mario Kart DS
5: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
6: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
7: Super Mario Galaxy 2
8: Super Mario Galaxy
9: The World Ends with You
10: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Ok, so not much different than last time. I concluded that Tetris, while as perfect as a puzzle game could be, was usually played as a time sink more than anything else, so I removed it off my top 10, though it still ranks really high for me. A Link to the Past got knocked off by the inclusion of The World Ends With You, and that's all the changes to my list.

Now then, discussion:

Super Mario World:

I skipped straight from Atari to SNES when I was around 7 so this totally blew me away. It's the pinnacle of gaming to me. The music, level design, art style were nothing short of stunning. Also, Yoshi. I still play through the game every year, and I love it every time.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance:

I found this game in a target bin for $15 and had no prior knowledge of it, and I bought it on impulse. I had never played an sRPG so the initial superficial disappointment of "Is this just a giant chess game" turned into delight when I saw all the intricacies of the strategy, how attached I got to my units, and an overall good story. This may sound absolutely ridiculous to you guys, but the reason I got so attached to this game was because I lost my father at around the same time I was playing this, so I could relate to certain character. It really struck a chord with me and gave me hope when life didn't seem like it was worth living.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker:

My first run in with a Zelda game and I fell in love. I had never played a game quite like this before. The art style remains stunning, and the gameplay is solid. My only criticism is that sailing got tedious by the end. For me, this game was the most lively in the series.

Mario Kart DS:

Reasoning here is simple. Over my last two years in high school, pretty much everyone had a DS to play this game. It was happening in out in the hallways, during class, during lunch, during breaks. At every opportunity games of Mario Kart would break out all over the place and it was awesome.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

Replaces Melee as my favorite fighter. The game is absolutely packed with content. I still play it to this day, 800 hours and counting on my console alone. This is by a wide margin, the most amazing piece of fan service the industry has produced.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn:

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are essentially two parts of the same game, and either is less great without the other. I felt like RD was a better game overall, but would not have been all that great without playing through the first game. So I felt like PoR was better standalone, and hence higher on my list.

Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2:

I did not like 3-D platforming before these games. These games are the essence of creativity and wonderment I felt when I played through Mario World as a child. Other than the feel, the music and level design were pretty much perfect too. Galaxy 2 gets a higher spot for upping the difficulty.

The World Ends With You:

Simply, a one of a kind experience. Though the overall story was pretty cliche for an RPG ("Emo kid hates everyone but his heart grows three sizes at the end") it was presented in such a unique way. The game gave me a sense of urgency I haven't felt since Majora's Mask. The battle system was great, the characters were for the most part likeable, and it had plenty to do once the main quest was over. The music did a great job setting the correct atmosphere, and even though I normally wouldn't listen to that type of music, it was great in the game.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess:

I think the reason Ocarina isn't my favorite game ever is because I played it way after its time. So the large expanse and story felt familiar after Wind Waker, and the controls and looks were aged in comparison. Twilight Princess is pretty much a massive send up to OoT, so it retains the feel while simply playing better. OoT's music is still the most iconic to me, and still evokes the most amazing sense of nostalgia, but I have to give the last spot to TP.

Biff

1. Pokemon Red/Blue
2. SOCOM II
3. Battlefield 2
4. GoldenEye 007
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Starcraft II
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
8. Super Stardust HD
9. Metal Gear Solid 4
10. Gran Turismo 3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ho hum, now that Ghaleon and some others have started to make effort and actually elaborate on their lists, I think I'll have to start putting together mine. Hmmm.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
Ho hum, now that Ghaleon and some others have started to make effort and actually elaborate on their lists, I think I'll have to start putting together mine. Hmmm.
Well not everyone is a good writer!
*Cries*

GhaleonQ said:

I was always under the impression it was the best of the PS1 era by far, and probably still the best since they made the transition to PS systems(Even though I like X2 more). It really doesn't have any large quality holes like the others. Basically it's solid to great in every aspect all around.

boingball

1: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2: Sid Meier's Colonization
3: Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
4: Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
5: Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
6: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
7: Lemmings
8: SSX Tricky
9: Ico
10: M.U.L.E.

Mileena

Banned
1. Counter-Strike
2. Final Fantasy XI
3. Ninja Gaiden Black
4. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
5. Uncharted 2
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. Silent Hill 2
8. Super Mario 64
9. Chrono Cross
10. Call of Duty 4

1: Pokemon Gold/Silver
2: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3: World of Warcraft
4: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
6: Command & Conquer
7: Warcraft III
8: Metroid Prime
9: Resident Evil 4
10: Final Fantasy IX

kpx0

Banned
1: Chrono Trigger
2: Starcraft 2
3: Final Fantasy 7
4: Xenogears
5: Super Mario Brothers 3
6: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7: Baldur's Gate 2
8: Final Fantasy Tactics
9: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
10: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Honorable Mentions (ie games that are among my favorites but i wouldnt classify as "best games" due difficulty, gameplay flaw, niche genre, better sequel, etc)
- Halo 3
- Vagrant Story
- Street Fighter: 3rd Strike
- Capcom vs SNK 2
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- ICO
- Counter-Strike

1: Super Mario 64
2: Doom
3: Tetris
4: Super Mario Bros. 3
5: Shadow of the Colossus
7: Half-Life 2
8: Marvel vs. Capcom 2
9: Resident Evil 4
10: Ms. Pac-Man

Beernf

2: Final Fantasy X
3: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
4: Soul Calibur
5: Loom
6: Mario Kart 64
7: Final Fantasy XII
8: The Secret of Monkey Island
9: Contra
10: Blades of Steel

Pein

Banned
1.Resident evil 4
2.God of war 2
3.Metal Gear solid 4
4.Pokemon gold/silver
5. Jak 3
6. Uncharted 2
7. Devil may Cry 3
8. Chrono Trigger
9. Persona 3
10. Halo 3

eiskaltnz

2: Deux Ex
3: Half Life
4: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
5: Doom
6: Burnout 3: Takedown
7: Pokémon Gold and Silver
8: Age of Mythology
9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
10: Counter-Strike

tmarques

1: Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis
2: Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge
3: Civilization IV
4: Street Fighter 2
5: System Shock 2
6: Deus Ex
7: Gabriel Knight 2
8: Syndicate
9: Magic Carpet
10: Tomb Raider

darksunpr

1: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2: Final Fantasy VII
3: Uncharted 2
4: Gears of War
5: Phantasy Star Online
6: Super Mario 64
7: Metal Gear Solid 2
8: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
9: Shenmue
10: Final Fantasy X

1: Resident Evil 4
2: Diablo II
3: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4: Super Metroid
5: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6: Shadow of the Colossus
7: Halo: Combat Evolved
8: Super Mario 64
9: Metal Gear Solid 2
10: Tetris

I should explain my list one of these days. I had a hard time even coming up with one. Top five is for sure, though. D:

Top Bottom