• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
More Normal/___ stuff! There are more but I'd have to go through the typings to see.

The point is that although there are still holes to be filled, now feels like the right time for a new type.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Teknoman said:
Does smack down do extra damage to Pokemon that used fly or sky attack?

It does Extra Damage to the Pokemon if they are Flying, have Levitate, or use Magnet Rise, and then they become vulnerable to Ground Pokemon (but don't lose their Flying-type, I assume), but it doesn't matter what move they use...

Oh, but it CAN hit them if they're using Fly or Bounce, so it's like Swift in that regard.

TheOGB

Banned
Teknoman said:
You arent. He seems like he might be the next leader of an evil organization.
ohshit

3rd version leading into B/W sequel confirmed?!

Watch Da Birdie said:
Oh, but it CAN hit them if they're using Fly or Bounce, so it's like Swift in that regard.
It'd be funny if, in the 3rd version (if this isn't already the case), they animate it so the rock goes up into the air, makes the hit sound, and suddenly the airborne Pokemon comes crashing down

Red

Teknoman said:
You arent. He seems like he might be the next leader of an evil organization.
Nah. Cheren is the hardcore gamer type, Bianca is the young child who's experiencing Pokemon for the first time or is playing just because it's fun. Each one is an expression of a different part of the audience. One wants to win, and always looks for things to make him stronger, the other is in it for the fun, win or lose.

Andrex said:
The point is that although there are still holes to be filled, now feels like the right time for a new type.
How about an abnormal type?

Teknoman

TheOGB said:
ohshit

Enhanced remake leading into B/W sequel confirmed?!

Maybe,
Cheren's always going on about how being the strongest is the only thing that matters, getting more power, etc. Even seems more than a little ticked off at the fact that he keeps losing against you.

Watch Da Birdie said:
It does Extra Damage to the Pokemon if they are Flying, have Levitate, or use Magnet Rise, and then they become vulnerable to Ground Pokemon (but don't lose their Flying-type, I assume), but it doesn't matter what move they use...

Cool, guess i'll keep that, and see how it plays out before trying stone edge.

Crunched said:
Nah. Cheren is the hardcore gamer type, Bianca is the young child who's experiencing Pokemon for the first time or is playing just because it's fun. Each one is an expression of a different part of the audience. One wants to win, and always looks for things to make him stronger, the other is in it for the fun, win or lose.

How about an abnormal type?

Thats possible too. I guess I never looked at it like that (seems similar to something we were talking about in the Gears 3 beta topic).

Watch Da Birdie

I definitely feel like they're setting up for a direct sequel a la GS...

Especially with Team Plasma...N flies away, and Looker tells you he was spotted, and Gechis escapes with the Shadow Triad...

Doesn't seem like stuff that'd be settled in Version 3, imo, instead I imagine they'll just drop more hints about where they went setting up Gen VI...

Speaking of the Shadow Triad, the popular theory is that they're the Strighton Brothers (who don't appear in the Castle, although Bianca claims it was because they couldn't make it in time), but the part where they give you the DPt Legendary items and tell you Gechis saved them makes me wonder if they're perhaps the Galactic Admins from DPt, Mars, Venus, and Saturn?

Wiseblade

TheOGB said:
I'm not done yet, just as a heads up, but Bianca has grown to be a very likeable character. Meanwhile Cheren just seems to have gotten really annoying. Am I the only one who thought this?
it's the other way around for me.
I like Cheren's battle with "not-the-main-character syndrome", seeing someone he knows personally have battling come so naturally to them and reach such dizzying heights while he struggles to work out who he is. I can really see Cheren becoming a Champion in a future game and making big speeches about goals in life.

It makes a nice contrast to Andrex Barry, who only really got a far as he did because he had a strong rival motivating him.

Bianca just annoys me. She makes a big fuss at Nimbasa city about being tough and wanting to see the world, but then spend the rest of the story watching The PC/Cheren have all the adventures. And post-game, she goes right back to the lab.

TheOGB

Banned
Watch Da Birdie said:
I definitely feel like they're setting up for a direct sequel a la GS...

Especially with Team Plasma...N flies away, and Looker tells you he was spotted, and Gechis escapes with the Shadow Triad...

Doesn't seem like stuff that'd be settled in Version 3, imo, instead I imagine they'll just drop more hints about where they went setting up Gen VI...

Speaking of the Shadow Triad, the popular theory is that they're the Strighton Brothers (who don't appear in the Castle, although Bianca claims it was because they couldn't make it in time), but the part where they give you the DPt Legendary items and tell you Gechis saved them makes me wonder if they're perhaps the Galactic Admins from DPt, Mars, Venus, and Saturn?
holy fucking shit

best gen storywise definitely confirmed

Wiseblade said:
it's the other way around for me.
I like Cheren's battle with "not-the-main-character syndrome", seeing someone he knows personally have battling come so naturally to them and reach such dizzying heights while he struggles to work out who he is. I can really see Cheren becoming a Champion in a future game and making big speeches about goals in life.

It makes a nice contrast to Andrex Barry, who only really got a far as he did because he had a strong rival motivating him.
this point of view just makes it better

*rushes through Twist Mountain*

Red

Teknoman said:
Thats possible too. I guess I never looked at it like that (seems similar to something we were talking about in the Gears 3 beta topic).
Don't know what the story is over in the Gears thread, but I don't think Cheren is malicious in any way. He's all about getting stronger, but he's not about putting other people down. He actually seems to appreciate seeing you win, because he can learn from that.

Maybe we're looking too much into it, haha.

Wiseblade

Ugh, I don't any more types. Not at least until GF balances out the ones they already have and fill in a few more of the type gaps.

Roto13

Watch Da Birdie said:
The Strightons weren't there because they suck. :p

Gravijah

Bianca was with the three brothers IIRC bringing them there, she just didn't make it in time. I'm pretty sure she mentions physically being with them... hm..

Suairyu

Banned
Just beat the game! Credits rolling!

Goddamn, how amazing! Yes, superior to Red/Blue, rather than simply better. (That is perfectly understandable, don't be "ummm"ing that!)

And the best thing is, the game is just beginning.

That said, I was disappointed (but had completely expected) the twist that Team Plasma was being all "save teh Pokémon!" simply as a guise to rule the world. GameFreak aren't strong enough storytellers to actually deal with the issues they raise, it seems. Oh well!

Cutscene heaven!

All the things GameFreak achieved with the DS engine, I cannot wait to see their 3DS work.

Bring on post-game!

Izayoi

Banned
Roto13 said:
The Strightons weren't there because they suck. :p
Yeah. I don't buy the whole
them = Shadow Triad
thing. They're just too goddamn awful.

Really, what are a few clowns with weak ass Pokemon going to do against the
seven sages
who for all we know are close in power to
Ghetsis

Teknoman said:
So, you have to sign up for the Pokemon Trainers Club to access the Dream World/ Global Battle stuff?
Yea but none of that stuff works yet.
Edit:Well random battles do just the dream world stuff isn't up yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
We'll find out in the anime, at least.
If Cilan suddenly disappears whenever N/the shadow triad show up or not, then that solves that.

That said, was anyone surprised at even the concept of the shadow triad? They seemed a bit out of place even though they were indeed cool.

Teknoman

Crunched said:
Don't know what the story is over in the Gears thread, but I don't think Cheren is malicious in any way. He's all about getting stronger, but he's not about putting other people down. He actually seems to appreciate seeing you win, because he can learn from that.

Maybe we're looking too much into it, haha.

It was just about people playing to win yet have fun vs people who just use everything and anything possible to win (exploits, glitches, etc.) forgetting to actually have fun, win or lose.

Not exactly the same, but still.

Zzoram

Holy Order Sol said:
I still want to knee Bianca in the face for those ambushes.

Ya wow, having 2 "rivals" constantly ambush you is pretty rough.

By default I always go to a Pokemon Center first at a new town or before leaving town in case I get ambushed.

r4z4

Just been breeding some Deinos, have the following available for trade if anyone is interested (all level 1):

Female Brave
Female Bold - traded
Female Impish
Male Bashful

Suairyu said:
Just beat the game! Credits rolling!

Goddamn, how amazing! Yes, superior to Red/Blue, rather than simply better. (That is perfectly understandable, don't be "ummm"ing that!)

And the best thing is, the game is just beginning.

That said, I was disappointed (but had completely expected) the twist that Team Plasma was being all "save teh Pokémon!" simply as a guise to rule the world. GameFreak aren't strong enough storytellers to actually deal with the issues they raise, it seems. Oh well!

Cutscene heaven!

All the things GameFreak achieved with the DS engine, I cannot wait to see their 3DS work.

Bring on post-game!

Did the other sages know Ghetsis's plan though?
I might have skipped over it because I don't remember if they do or don't.

Zzoram

N is much less intimidating that Giovanni somehow. Maybe it's because you fight him so much and keep beating him. I think you only fought Giovanni 2 or 3 times in RBY.

Gravijah

On marvelous bridge or tubeline bridge (can't remember which)
there's a lady who stands next to one of the guys... When you talk to her, she disappears. Anyone know what she is for?

Teknoman

Andrex said:
If Cilan suddenly disappears whenever N/the shadow triad show up or not, then that solves that.

That said, was anyone surprised at even the concept of the shadow triad? They seemed a bit out of place even though they were indeed cool.

I would say I was surprised that another organization like that popped up in Pokemon of all games...but then again, the dex entries, organization motives, and other pieces of history show that Pokemon universe isnt just all cheery 24/7.

Red

Obsessed said:
I really want to like Vanillite but the guy is just really sucking right now :(

I'll hold out hope that he gets much better when he evolves.
Nope, not until his final form. My Vanillish is level 42 and still has under 100 HP :/

Andrex said:

I haven't finished the game yet, so I'm not sure if anything changes (I'm at Victory Road), but I agree they are in a weird place. They appear out of nowhere and don't do anything but shuffle you around. Are they meant to be assassins or what?
They don't seem to use Pokemon, which is extra weird.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:

I'm more shocked
I never battled them.

Crunched said:
Nope, not until his final form. My Vanillish is level 42 and still has under 100 HP :/

:(

Well I'll probably be able to deal with it until then.

Also has anyone used Joltik? I love it, but it is a bug Pokemon which tend to really suck late game unless they have some gimmick (Kriketune + Perish Song = So good against E4 in D/P).

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
On marvelous bridge or tubeline bridge (can't remember which)
there's a lady who stands next to one of the guys... When you talk to her, she disappears. Anyone know what she is for?
Nothing, just Gamefreak being disturbed as usual.

See: Old Chateau.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
RSE remakes will be amazing, especially if they're on the 3DS (which is almost assured). Kyogre / Groudon / Rayquaza still make up the most epic trio of legendaries.

Zzoram

r4z4 said:
Just been breeding some Deinos, have the following available for trade if anyone is interested (all level 1):

Female Brave
Female Bold
Female Impish
Male Bashful

I'll take the Female Bold. Friend code?

5200 1957 4656

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
I'm more shocked
I never battled them.

Yeah, them and the dancers in Castelia. Perfect points for triple battles. :/

Grr GF, you make me love you.

Izayoi

Banned
EvilMario said:
RSE remakes will be amazing, especially if they're on the 3DS (which is almost assured). Kyogre / Groudon / Rayquaza still make up the most epic trio of legendaries.
Agreed 100%. Lugia was pretty chill and I'm a big fan of Dialga and Zekrom, but goddamn Kyogre why are you so awesome?

Suairyu said:

I guess that to keep in line with the whole cult analogy, they had to be lying.

Watch Da Birdie

Gravijah said:
Bianca was with the three brothers IIRC bringing them there, she just didn't make it in time. I'm pretty sure she mentions physically being with them... hm..
Yeah, that's how I see it too.

I think the Shadow Traid being the brothers is unlikely, as they seem pretty cool, plus good guys being the bad guys is kind of played out.

Holy Order Sol said:
I guess that to keep in line with the whole cult analogy, they had to be lying.

I dunno...some of them seem like they did believe in the plan. One Grunt in particular I find to be interesting...he notices that a Patrat becomes friendly towards him and he doesn't want to see it go.

Plus, I found Ghechis to be rather deep in the post-game...the Seven Sages really seemed to like him, and the Shadow Triad mentions how he saved their life. Villain or not, I found him to a more interesting character than N since his followers seem really loyal to him, despite the fact he appears very evil to the player.

Teknoman

Izayoi said:

I've gotta say the rushing trailer lady
Zoroark event
caught me off guard. It was like 28 days later in Pokemon form.

Gravijah

You know, one of the sages says something along the lines of:
"We don't even know if they are father and son." Hmm. Clone? ...Half Pokemon? :p

TheOGB

Banned
Crunched said:
Haha wow, seems pretty awesome no matter what way you look at it

Unless you just see him as getting whinier like I did at first :p

Andrex said:
That said, was anyone surprised at even the concept of
the shadow triad
? *They're
ninjas
dammit :p*
They seemed a bit out of place even though they were indeed cool.
I was actually pretty surprised by that, I mean
you think it's just N, and the sages, and all that other bullshit, and then you get abducted by fucking ninjas?! Did GF seriously just use the Rule of Cool?! Now that's just absurd.

That's also why I think there may be some kind of sequel. This... the structure of Team Plasma, the setting-up and development of the characters... all of it is getting far too grand for just one adventure.

I HONESTLY DON'T BELIEVE, IN THIS DAY AND AGE, THAT GAMEFREAK WOULD USE THE RULE OF COOL AND INSERT NINJAS JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT.

Now I really wanna know how deep the rabbit hole goes.

EDIT:
Izayoi said:

oh god
that little girl
that little fucking girl D:}
I shed a tear in fear

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zzoram said:
N is much less intimidating that Giovanni somehow. Maybe it's because you fight him so much and keep beating him. I think you only fought Giovanni 2 or 3 times in RBY.

PrXbO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom