• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've noticed everyone buys the i5-2500k. Is the i7 not much better in terms of performance for the money?
Very minimal performance gain for the increased price for gaming and most tasks.

If you do heavy video editing, VM, etc then it can be worth it. But the $100 is much better spend on GPU if you want to do some gaming.

jayTOH

Very minimal performance gain for the increased price for gaming and most tasks.

If you do heavy video editing, VM, etc then it can be worth it. But the $100 is much better spend on GPU if you want to do some gaming.

Does etc include emulation? Say, Wii emulation? Or is the i5 sufficient?

Arken2121

2560x1440? Might have to stretch your budget a bit, cheapest I've seen the U2711 go for is around $700.

MacMall had an HP ZR2740w for $580 like a month ago, but it's back up to ~$680 now.

Thank you. If I have to i'll try to extend it a bit.

Edit: What do you guys think about a 24' instead? I'm currently using a small standard screen 19'.

Hypothetical question: how many cores would it take to emulate the PS3? Keeping in mind that yes, we are a ways off from that happening.

Lian Li PC-V700

Early 2011 PC-V700 prototype:

- Unfinished interior
- Single 120mm top exhaust (closed, fan optional)

IMG_0658_c_900x600.jpg

IMG_0662_c_900x600.jpg

ssevd3.jpg

2012 near-production PC-V700:

- Release around early-mid April
- Finished interior
- Dual 120mm top exhaust (open, fans included)
- Option to fit slim 240mm rads, and, possibly, thick 240mm rads internally
- 1x140mm front intake, 1x120mm rear exhaust
- 8 PCI expansion slots
- WxHxD: 210 x 400 x 496mm (8.27 x 15.75 x 19.53")
- Somewhat similar to Lian Li PC-V354 in overall dimensions (longer, slimmer)
- ODD: 1x5.25" bay
- HDD cage: 4x3.5" (3 of which are hot swap), 3x2.5"
- Case floor: Additional 2.5", and 3.5" mounting points

The PC-V700 is something of a cross between the PC-V354, PC-A05, and PC-V600, which addresses most of their shortcomings in ways that the PC-V600FX/PC-A05N/PC-A05NX/PC-A05NFX/PC-A05FN/PC-A05FNB/etc. don't.

Lian Li chassis at CES 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQbqQt8fphg

134a.jpg

wGEK4.jpg

9hLXX.jpg
*click for 1,024px × 1,365px

Vz0gQ.jpg

mnrWm.png

edit:
More PC-V700

img_73221u6nh.jpg
img_7323p4wgt.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
I’m pretty sure you’re right. For gaming, I’ve never seen a benchmark where the i7 was noticeably better. the i7 smokes the i5 for multiple threaded video rendering tasks, though

I would think for the extra cash that upping the video card from the 68xx to the 69xx series would give immediately noticeable improvements.

I think its simply the case that the i5-2500k offers the best bang for your buck and you can use the savings to buy a better graphics card.

Thanks for all of your responses. You guys are awesome. I'm in the preliminary research/looking for deals stage, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on i5-2500k deals now.

That's close to what I want to see from Lian-Li. Pretty ugly, at least in the photos, though.
Looks ok. Not amazingly sleek, but not too dull/utilitarian, either. I'm almost certainly going to be picking one up. If I can fit a thick 240mm rad inside the roof without modding it... *mwuahahahah* I already have a whole list of cut-free mods in mind to improve cooling, packaging, and noise.

Its relative compactness, while still being spacious, is a big selling point. Would be nice if it fell into the $200-240 range, though it's likely to be at least another $10-20 above that. The case I originally had in mind for the project is mATX only, and would cost ~$200+ more than the V700.

Looking at buying a PC off someone online. It has a quad core AMD Phenom unlocked at 3.4 ghz, Radeon HD 5770, 8 GB of ram...anything that I would have to consider upgrading to run the games now at high quality?

The GPU, and likely, the HSF in order to overclock the CPU. Be sure the rest of the components are of a decent quality. Get as detailed of a spec breakdown as possible. Model numbers on everything, if possible.

Hawk269

My SSD showed up a little earlier than expected, so I had to rush to clean out the fan filters and clean out the computer. For starters, never realized how small SSD's were until I got it. Anyways, I was able to install it with no major issues, I had to remove one of my 580's because it is a long GPU and it was right over the Sata 6 port I needed so I can hook the SSD to the Sata 6. Outside of that, it was a breeze to install.

I disconnected the 2 HDD's I had to ensure there was no conflict when Windows goes to install (I had previously formatted them).

Computer booted up and am currently installing windows right now. Computer read the SSD fine and showed the proper amount of memory on it.

Quick questions....

1. Anyone else have experience using Steam Mover. As suggested by some, I should install Steam to my SSD, then as I download games the ones I want to run off of the SSD I leave and the others I move to one of the HDD's using Steam Mover correct? Just looking for feedback on from anyone else on using this program.

2. Once Windows is done installing and downloading updates, I plan to re-connect the 2 HDD's. I should use be able to use Windows to label each drive as E & F correct or is there a step I am missing?

3. Any other SSD feedback I need to know?

Thanks everyone!!! Thread delivers yet again!

TheExodu5

Banned
·feist·;34324072 said:
Looks ok. Not amazingly sleek, but not too dull/utilitarian, either. I'm almost certainly going to be picking one up. If I can fit a thick 240mm rad inside the roof without modding it... *mwuahahahah* I already have a whole list of cut-free mods in mind to improve cooling, packaging, and noise.

Its relative compactness, while still being spacious, is a big selling point. Would be nice if it fell into the $200-240 range, though it's likely to be at least another $10-20 above that. The case I originally had in mind for the project is mATX only, and would cost ~$200+ more than the V700.

I'm tempted.

I'd like to see a full build in there.

·feist·;34324122 said:
The GPU, and likely, the HSF in order to overclock the CPU. Be sure the rest of the components are of a decent quality. Get as detailed of a spec breakdown as possible. Model numbers on everything, if possible.

How would you stack it up against this bundle from Newegg? This guy is including a monitor and mouse and keyboard for 650

While I can get this setup for the PC alone (already have a monitor)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.791295

1x Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case (Model:400R)

$99.99
1x ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Model:M5A78L-M LX PLUS)

$64.99
1x SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (Model:100315L)

$149.99
1x CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply (Model:CMPSU-500CXV2)

$59.99
1x AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX (Model:FD4100WMGUSBX)

$109.99
1x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9 (Model:CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9)

$32.99
1x Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST500DM002)

$84.99

Combo price = $530.96

zulfate

i reset my router now i cant connect through wireless, it tell me it is limited access

never mind i figured it out, when i redid it i didnt know it had reset my wep code..... :/ thanks anyways

NH Apache

Banned
Hi all!

Going to be building 3 separate desktops, all the same build (as of now).

Your Current Specs: AMD Turion laptop....
Budget: 500-700 per desktop, US of A
Main Use: Light Gaming (3), Gaming (2), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (1), Video Editing (1), 3D work (4), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) (5)
Monitor Resolution: I have two monitors 16:9 ratio, unsure on resolution, 20 inch
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Red Alert 2 :p
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Within the next week, parts should be ordered
Will you be overclocking?: Yes to one, probably not for others.

I am looking at a hybrid between standard and enhanced.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 4C/4T 3.7Ghz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (Is this RAM good for the build?)
Video: 6870 or 6850, unsure on a specific card
Drive: Not sold on any yet, 1 TB storage would be nice
Power Supply: Unsure
Case: unsure
Optical Drive: Unsure, but necessary
Heatsink: CoolerMaster 212+, probably
Sound: Onboard probably

One of the computers would be using for a second drive using Raid for full redundancy. Does anyone have any info on this? I can just order a second drive? Or...something much more in depth?

So, any input would be fantastic. Looking to build sooner than later. Thanks, Hazaro, for the fantastic resources!

ameratsu

·feist·;34324072 said:

Looks great. Most PC cases aimed at gamers or enthusiasts are gaudy (and/or huge). Anything looking similar to alienware is a non-starter, so this case is not only refreshing, but something I would consider buying.

Smokey

RMA process with Asus is such a pain in the ass. My motherboard arrived at their service center last wed jan 11th according to tracking info. Yet when I check RMA status it says they have not received it. So then I try and call their number....and it's busy for like 20 minutes straight. I call another number and tell them about the busy signal and they give me a different number to call.

Finally get a hold of somebody and he says they haven't received it or whatever. I give my tracking number and apparently he checks with the service center and they have it....then why is my RMA status not being updated? Basically I have no idea what's going on.

Never again. I got this motherboard from Microcenter but opted not to get the warranty plan. I will probably just get another motherboard from there and roll with it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi all!

Going to be building 3 separate desktops, all the same build (as of now).

Your Current Specs: AMD Turion laptop....
Budget: 500-700 per desktop, US of A
Main Use: Light Gaming (3), Gaming (2), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (1), Video Editing (1), 3D work (4), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) (5)
Monitor Resolution: I have two monitors 16:9 ratio, unsure on resolution, 20 inch
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Red Alert 2 :p
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Within the next week, parts should be ordered
Will you be overclocking?: Yes to one, probably not for others.

I am looking at a hybrid between standard and enhanced.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 4C/4T 3.7Ghz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (Is this RAM good for the build?)
Video: 6870 or 6850, unsure on a specific card
Drive: Not sold on any yet, 1 TB storage would be nice
Power Supply: Unsure
Case: unsure
Optical Drive: Unsure, but necessary
Heatsink: CoolerMaster 212+, probably
Sound: Onboard probably

One of the computers would be using for a second drive using Raid for full redundancy. Does anyone have any info on this? I can just order a second drive? Or...something much more in depth?

So, any input would be fantastic. Looking to build sooner than later. Thanks, Hazaro, for the fantastic resources!
xfx 550w
f3 1tb
6850 or 70 up to you. 6870 is a great deal right now.
Looks fine to me, maybe you can find some bundles to bring the system under $700.
Just order a second drive for RAID, you can also mirror a drive in windows, or just clone or backup using a different drive.
RMA process with Asus is such a pain in the ass. My motherboard arrived at their service center last wed jan 11th according to tracking info. Yet when I check RMA status it says they have not received it. So then I try and call their number....and it's busy for like 20 minutes straight. I call another number and tell them about the busy signal and they give me a different number to call.

Finally get a hold of somebody and he says they haven't received it or whatever. I give my tracking number and apparently he checks with the service center and they have it....then why is my RMA status not being updated? Basically I have no idea what's going on.

Never again. I got this motherboard from Microcenter but opted not to get the warranty plan. I will probably just get another motherboard from there and roll with it.
Could you not Advance RMA? I had no issues when I did my B3 return.

TheExodu5

Banned

So far EVGA, XFX, and Corsair have had the best warranty service for me. I haven't heard terribly good things about Asus from a friend, and Gigabyte was annoying and painful for myself.

Smokey

So who makes the best motherboards? Asus? I'm looking at the Z68 Deluxe from them, and then get the warranty deal from Microcenter. To be honest though this whole situation has kind of lowered my expectation from them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Asus is the most reputed. Gigabyte after that, followed by MSI and Asrock. They're priced accordingly as well, with Asus being the most expensive, and Asrock/MSI being the cheapest.

I'm pretty sure you'll get similarly dismal customer service with all of them. EVGA is the only decent one, but I've seen some pretty middling reviews of their midrange boards.

I know mkenyon is really big on the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z, though it's a micro-ATX board. There is a full size version of it (ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z), but it's over $300.

Personally, I have a Gigabyte P67-UD4. I love the look of their boards, they have really good onboard sound on the midrange boards, and the lack of a GUI for the BIOS doesn't really bother me. Support is still shit, though. Also, I believe they were quite dishonest when it came to their Gen3 board, so they may not have a very good reputation at the moment.

I must have the greatest luck with PC components. I've built 10 different PC's over the years. 4 for me, and 6 for other people, and I have never had to RMA anything.

Smokey

Asus is the most reputed. Gigabyte after that, followed by MSI and Asrock. They're priced accordingly as well, with Asus being the most expensive, and Asrock/MSI being the cheapest.

I'm pretty sure you'll get similarly dismal customer service with all of them. EVGA is the only decent one, but I've seen some pretty middling reviews of their midrange boards.

I know mkenyon is really big on the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z, though it's a micro-ATX board. There is a full size version of it (ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z), but it's over $300.

Personally, I have a Gigabyte P67-UD4. I love the look of their boards, they have really good onboard sound on the midrange boards, and the lack of a GUI for the BIOS doesn't really bother me. Support is still shit, though. Also, I believe they were quite dishonest when it came to their Gen3 board, so they may not have a very good reputation at the moment.

I looked at the Maximus IV Extreme as well, but I didn't know if it was Gen 3. Didn't think it'd make that much sense to get something that wasn't Gen 3.

knitoe

i reset my router now i cant connect through wireless, it tell me it is limited access

never mind i figured it out, when i redid it i didnt know it had reset my wep code..... :/ thanks anyways

WEP encryption is a joke. Can be hack in a minute. Go WPA or better WPA2.

Hypothetical question: how many cores would it take to emulate the PS3? Keeping in mind that yes, we are a ways off from that happening.

Hardware wise it could be possible within 5 years, but emulating the cell architecture...yeesh forget about it.

I'm not sure if it will ever be emulated.

If it is it will be many many years away.

People will have a much easier time creating an emulation of the 360.

Hardware wise it could be possible within 5 years, but emulating the cell architecture...yeesh forget about it.

360 will actually be hard to emulate, due to the closed nature of the system and the fact that no one truly knows how most of the proprietary functions work other than Microsoft. Might be a few years for that as well.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm currently running an i5 2500k machine with 8GB of RAM and an HD 6870. It's used as a media & gaming PC (high res movies, Wii emulation, Steam games, etc) and works great. I plan on moving it into my recording studio and making it the new de facto recording PC, and replacing the media PC void with an Ivy Bridge build (when it releases).

Question is, should I even bother to wait for Ivy bridge, or should I just build another sandybridge system? Are the gains from Sandy -> Ivy enough to warrant waiting longer and paying more for a PC meant to be used as described above?

I'm currently running an i5 2500k machine with 8GB of RAM and an HD 6870. It's used as a media & gaming PC (high res movies, Wii emulation, Steam games, etc) and works great. I plan on moving it into my recording studio and making it the new de facto recording PC, and replacing the media PC void with an Ivy Bridge build (when it releases).

Question is, should I even bother to wait for Ivy bridge, or should I just build another sandybridge system? Are the gains from Sandy -> Ivy enough to warrant waiting longer and paying more for a PC meant to be used as described above?

Not really.

What I mean is, how many cores/threads would be needed. One guess would be 6, but then I don't know if Cell PPUs are quite the same thing.

Trike

Your Current Specs: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E220 @ 2.40GHz / 4 gigs of ram. No idea if it is DDR2/3/ Motherboard shitbutts / GeForce 8600 GT
Budget: $1000-$1200 USD
Main Use: Gaming (5/5)
Monitor Resolution: Using my 32" TV, probably won't change that due to space. Using 1360 x 768
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The main thing right now I want to play the most is Star Wars: The Old Republic on maximum settings. I am interested in a few different PC titles though, like the new Counter-Strike remake. Playing games like Batman AA/AC on max would be neat too.
Are reusing any parts?: DVD drive, graphics card (for now), and hard drive possibly RAM, to tide me over until I can get new ones.
When will you build?: As soon as possible? Maybe start this week and finish next.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe. Probably once I get everything.

I was planning on getting the AMD FX-8150 or the FX-6100, but apparently they might be poo? I am open to suggestions, as I pretty much based my entire reasoning on the CPU because the eight cores sounded awesome. I am also hoping on buying some stuff gradually. Like CPU/Motherboard/PSU first, then tower, better RAM, graphics card.

Swag

So I'm upgrading a computer for a friend, he has about 500 to spend and we're doing a general revamp of the system, GPU, Ram, and adding an SSD, but one thing we weren't sure of, is if there would be a bigger performance jump of;

i5 750 @ stock -> i5 2500k or Radeon 4890 -> Radeon 6950, not sure which to get, he generally plays FPS and some RTS / Adventure games.

Biggzy

So I'm upgrading a computer for a friend, he has about 500 to spend and we're doing a general revamp of the system, GPU, Ram, and adding an SSD, but one thing we weren't sure of, is if there would be a bigger performance jump of;

i5 750 @ stock -> i5 2500k or Radeon 4890 -> Radeon 6950, not sure which to get, he generally plays FPS and some RTS / Adventure games.

Graphics card if your friend doesn't do heavy video editing or encoding.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
http://www.guru3d.com/news/crucial-releases-m4-ssd-firmware-update/

Crucial m4 solid state disk users smile breathe again as the company has finally released a firmware fix for a fatal flaw that caused the disks to become very unstable after using the drive for around 5,000 hours. The new firmware can be downloaded at Crucial's support page.

Changes made in version 0002 (m4 can be updated to revision 0309 directly from either revision 0001, 0002, or 0009)

Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.

This firmware update is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for drives in the field. Although the failure mode due to the SMART Power On Hours counter poses no risk to saved user data, the failure mode can become repetitive, and pose a nuisance to the end user. If the end user has not yet observed this failure mode, this update is required to prevent it from happening.

If you are using a SAS Expander please do not download this Firmware. As soon as we have a Firmware Update that will work in these applications we will release it.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth getting a Xonar DG. My speakers are M-Audio AV 40s, and my motherboard will be an ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 which uses the Realtek ALC892 chipset. Some Newegg reviews claim the onboard audio is fine, others recommend a sound card. Will I notice a difference on those speakers?

Also, if I do get the Xonar DG, if I connect headphones to my case's front headphone port will I be hearing the motherboard audio or the Xonar DG audio?

TheExodu5

Banned
Also, if I do get the Xonar DG, if I connect headphones to my case's front headphone port will I be hearing the motherboard audio or the Xonar DG audio?

You'll hear the motherboard audio unless you plug in the front audio header into the DG.

I never recommend using the front ports, though, since the header wires that connect to it are not shielded and always produce a very noisy sound.

HenryHSH

Your Current Specs: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E220 @ 2.40GHz / 4 gigs of ram. No idea if it is DDR2/3/ Motherboard shitbutts / GeForce 8600 GT
Budget: $1000-$1200 USD
Main Use: Gaming (5/5)
Monitor Resolution: Using my 32" TV, probably won't change that due to space. Using 1360 x 768
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The main thing right now I want to play the most is Star Wars: The Old Republic on maximum settings. I am interested in a few different PC titles though, like the new Counter-Strike remake. Playing games like Batman AA/AC on max would be neat too.
Are reusing any parts?: DVD drive, graphics card (for now), and hard drive possibly RAM, to tide me over until I can get new ones.
When will you build?: As soon as possible? Maybe start this week and finish next.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe. Probably once I get everything.

I was planning on getting the AMD FX-8150 or the FX-6100, but apparently they might be poo? I am open to suggestions, as I pretty much based my entire reasoning on the CPU because the eight cores sounded awesome. I am also hoping on buying some stuff gradually. Like CPU/Motherboard/PSU first, then tower, better RAM, graphics card.

You're using VGA aren't you?

Gav47

So I just purchased my first SSD, it should hopefully be here by Friday, and I've begun collecting up all the data I want to move over. I have a 1TB drive as my current OS drive and a 3TB drive for storage, ideally I'd like to wipe the 1TB and use it for Steam games. So excited :)

Came across this bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.793703

Has pretty much everything I'm looking for...

I would add a 6870 and more ram, but would the power supply be able to hold out?

It should be ok, the 6870 only has a tdp of 150W

Darkatomz

I'm trying to determine if it's worth getting a Xonar DG. My speakers are M-Audio AV 40s, and my motherboard will be an ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 which uses the Realtek ALC892 chipset. Some Newegg reviews claim the onboard audio is fine, others recommend a sound card. Will I notice a difference on those speakers?

Do it, your speakers are pretty good. You'll notice a nice difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom