• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-verse Testing Archives | Post your Portal 2 test chambers here!

DarkKyo

ijh5UXh5RAmuz.png

Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative
iPC91zqKQK5Qw.png

The Multiverse! Infinite Earths with an infinite number of Apertures! The NeoGAF subsidiary of Aperture Science on Earth #840883201158 happens to be particularly productive in its creation and distribution of creative testing chambers. In this thread you will find an ever-increasing number of revelatory and illuminating chambers just waiting for testing. Whether you have a deliciously dangerous chamber or just a tricky trial that you'd like your fellow GAF members to explore and test their gumption in, feel free to list the workshop link here! All you test subjects looking for a challenge have also found the right place. Please don the official testing uniform and report to your designated intelligence aggregation for further instructions.​

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Initial image before your edit looked interesting. I really wish these played on PS3 since I have no computer capable of running the PC version I have redeemed on Steam. :(

How does the
long "hole" in the initial image
work in relation to the map?

Yeah, I changed the image to give people a little surprise when they go to play it.

I'll spoil it for you though:
it's a very long drop down an un-portalable shaft. When you initially look down it looks like there is no way out and there isn't until you press a button down there, which drops white gel. The shaft with the now white bottom gives you the momentum needed to get to the exit.

Shahadan

I tried to do one. I had probably more fun doing it than I would have had playing it, but in any case, I liked trying to put almost everything I could and trying to figure out how I would still make it linear.

In truth my favoirite part was to put some hints about how you are supposed to play it.
Really liking the process.

If anyone wants to try it : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68542826
Overcomplicated piece of test !

yes it is shit though

KScorp

Nice, we got a thread for these!

The Intern

CF44409B50092819E75B2306EE9F45E9E193C17C

First map, just playing around a bit. The solution is slightly obtuse, in that I wouldn't imagine Valve accepting a puzzle like this. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Anyway, try it out! It's a very small and short puzzle. I really want to see if this map is too easy or too difficult.

Edit: I love how easy it is to add maps to play. Just subscribe in the link, and start up Portal 2! Great way to let you remember what maps you want to play, even if you can't play them immediately.

Edit again: Accidentally unpublished my map. Eyes skipped over the edit button, oops. Fixed link to new map.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sweet, was hoping we'd get a thread like this.

Just queued up all of your maps (love how easy that is to do), gonna have a fun time playing them later!

Haven't made anything substantial myself yet, only tried the editor out a bit. It's easy to see that if you actually have a good idea for a puzzle, you can quite easily make that idea reality.

Quick question: Do you have to beat your chamber once to be able to publish it? I'd hope so, as it'd be really annoying to get stuck trying to beat an unbeatable chamber.

jdogmoney

Yeah, I changed the image to give people a little surprise when they go to play it.

I'll spoil it for you though:
it's a very long drop down an un-portalable shaft. When you initially look down it looks like there is no way out and there isn't until you press a button down there, which drops white gel. The shaft with the now white bottom gives you the momentum needed to get to the exit.

Either I'm doing it wrong or the door is too high/the portal placement is too low. I can't beat your map.

Damn I feel embarrassed posting my little chamber amongst you guys who already have full sized levels up and running.

Still, this was my first attempt at using the map editor. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give it a shot and tell me how good or bad it really is, and especially if you managed to break it somehow.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68550996

7BC1ABBA32CB76BE27E7D480E834C444990A534B

And if it's even possible for anyone to get stuck on this tiny level, I made a youtube walkthrough of one possible solution - http://youtu.be/sRRNTbmOvQc

jdogmoney

Hodgepodge - A fairly straightforward short map. Some thinking required.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68511497

http://i.picpar.com/f5ff51de986d96dc07bac4383ee1a641113b3956.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Not bad, although the most difficult part was figuring out where to put the first portal. After that it was straightforward.

[quote="morningbus, post: 37692270"]Basment Dweller: [url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68487947&tscn=1336512570[/url]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KtAqO.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Dat last bit! D: [spoiler]I don't know if I was incompetent or if there was a miscalculation on your part, but I found it unwinnable.[/spoiler]

[quote="DarkKyo, post: 37693221"]Eyes on Demise: [url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68521513[/url]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QZueA.jpg[IMG]

Lots of fun aerial faith plate action! Also lots of sentries.[/QUOTE]

Kaizo Portal. I died more often than I ought've, and that's part of the charm of your map...but [spoiler]the middle aerial faith plate on the right (that's right after the grav lift) didn't put me all the way across. The one on the left did, so I may have been doing it wrong.[/spoiler] Nice stylistic touches, like the gel at the beginning and the [spoiler]criss-cross lightbridge bit.[/spoiler]

[quote="Shahadan, post: 37695479"]I tried to do one. I had probably more fun doing it than I would have had playing it, but in any case, I liked trying to put almost everything I could and trying to figure out how I would still make it linear.

In truth my favoirite part was to put some hints about how you are supposed to play it.
Really liking the process.

If anyone wants to try it : [url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68542826[/url]
Overcomplicated piece of test !

[spoiler] yes it is shit though[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Sooooo big. The only bad part of your test was running back and forth over a huge area. Maybe put the orange gel near the start? It would be pretty fun zipping back and fourth. I also sort of broke the test using the [spoiler]lightbridge, but it was too complicated for me to describe how. Also, the bouncy gel can render the room unwinnable; it got on the spot where I was supposed to set the laser redirection cube and there was no way to get rid of it.[/spoiler]

This is so cool. I'll get around to the rest of these later, but for now I must rest.

Generally speaking, keep in mind that there's no checkpoint system, so if someone dies, they're sent back to the start of the map. Also keep in mind that the more elements you put into a puzzle the more ways the player has to break the map. Portal paint especially is a gamechanger.

Feep

Banned
Here it is! I spent over eight hours making this baby. It's exceptionally difficult, and uses pretty much all puzzle elements except for laser relays and conversion gel, because those suck.

06374CC60EA4991E8D95C0A0B4ECE7FB9A0AFE9B

Tunnels To and Fro

Enjoy, everyone. Tell me what you think! I'll be impressed if any of you can make it to the end. ; )

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The Lobby Shootout

1uaFe.jpg

Sort of inspired by the infamous shootout scene from The Matrix, it's a very simple hall with plenty of turrets.
EDIT: Now with aerial faith plates for added badassery.

NBtoaster

Shahadan

Sooooo big. The only bad part of your test was running back and forth over a huge area. Maybe put the orange gel near the start? It would be pretty fun zipping back and fourth. I also sort of broke the test using the
lightbridge, but it was too complicated for me to describe how. Also, the bouncy gel can render the room unwinnable; it got on the spot where I was supposed to set the laser redirection cube and there was no way to get rid of it.

Thanks for feedback ! Actually I wanted to force the player to notice that he had to take one thing with him in each room so he wouldn't have to backtrack. But there were some complications, I guess. The gel part is worrying though. I wanted to put water gel for this eventuality and then changed my mind. I'll look into it, thanks

Edit :
If that happens, you could always put some orange gel on that spot to "clean" the blue one, but I guess it isn't a good enough solution. :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Either I'm doing it wrong or the door is too high/the portal placement is too low. I can't beat your map.

Dat last bit! D:
I don't know if I was incompetent or if there was a miscalculation on your part, but I found it unwinnable.

I've had a few people beat it, so it is definitely winnable. Did you do everything in the room?
Did you raise the stairs?
That makes up for the mandatory portal placement.

MNC

The only thing I dislike is that by clicking the links, it opens my browser, which constantly needs me relogging in, then use the steamguard code to get access to steam on my browser.

KScorp

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68557453

600x337.resizedimage

I'm sure this map is the baby school compared to most of GAF's, but it shouldn't be, like, a drag or anything. Let me know what impressions you may have, yes? I plan on going through and playing these maps very shortly.

I liked it. It was rather easy, but still somewhat fun to play. Only thing I disliked was the seemingly random turret, I just ended up behind it and knocked it over. I guess there's some way to end up on the wrong side of it?

At the very least, it doesn't seem to have anything broken with it.

Didn't know about this thread! Will post here then. Have other levels in the works, but this was my first "More than a test" level, where I actually spent some actual time testing and iterating.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68535105

600x337.resizedimage

As I said in the other thread, I am keeping it simple to start, but I plan on releasing some momentum/timing based challenges soon. Looking for comments and critiques as well! (I am aware of one exploit on this stage, but its not one that I feel hurts the stage, so if you figure it out good for you)

I would be curious as to how fast some of you can get through it. Kinda curious if it can be completed in under a minute. It looks quick and easy, but hopefully it gets some head scratching

KScorp

I really hate the hidden traps or random pits of deadly goo you have lying around. Is the pit of goo under the door necessary? Isn't not being able to reach the door punishment enough? Same with the very start, it serves no puzzle purpose, it's just something you have to avoid.

Same with the random switch up in the corner that you have to reach. It only takes two portals to get up there and then the exit is open forever. It's just an extra step that requires no thought.

Also, you can use the light bridge to reach the door without raising the platform under it. So you can skip retrieving the cube and just focus on getting the light bridge to reach the door. A bit of a bug there.

But I do like the general aesthetics of your puzzle. Just remove the random hazards and fix that bug and it would be very nice.

Anybody find that their chambers are dark suddenly? I was in the middle of building a new one and rebuilt it to test it, and it was unplayable because I couldn't see what walls were portalable. I even played my first map and it was also unplayable for the same reason.

Shahadan

Anybody find that their chambers are dark suddenly? I was in the middle of building a new one and rebuilt it to test it, and it was unplayable because I couldn't see what walls were portalable. I even played my first map and it was also unplayable for the same reason.

Last patch did that and it's annoying :(
I'm surprised a fix isn't out yet.

Try to put some windows on your map at certain locations. They make more light than lamps. It will probably still be unplayable for other people but at least you can test it.

Alright, I just finished my second chamber. This one contains 4 smaller puzzles although neither of them is hard. It's just a fun simple chamber that doesn't require you to think too hard.

Any feedback on it would be great, I have tried to eliminate all the exploits I can find but I'm sure there are still some stuff I didn't think of.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68608603
D792D2EE64B145FE7509A11F8B4D0CAE4B07418C

How is it so big?

Mine usually stop pushing after a while.

Top Bottom