• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 set to stay in Los Angeles through 2015, but moves to several venues

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
2008 all over again...

Entertainment Software Association Names Los Angeles to Host E3 Through 2015
E3 2013 Confirmed for June 11-13, 2013

July 30, 2012 – Washington, DC – The Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) will remain in Los Angeles for the next three years it was announced today by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which owns E3. It was also confirmed that E3 2013 would take place June 11-13, 2013, at the Los Angeles Convention Center, L.A. LIVE and a plethora of venues throughout downtown Los Angeles and the City.

“We are proud to partner with Los Angeles for another three years. The City serves as a strong backdrop for the video game industry’s biggest announcements and we look forward to remaining in LA,” said Michael D. Gallagher, CEO of the ESA, which represents U.S. video game industry. “Video games are a dominant force in the global entertainment marketplace and there is no better place to display that than Los Angeles. We look forward to continuing our relationship with the City and AEG.”

In 2012, E3 brought 45,700 video game industry professionals, investor analysts, journalists and retailers from 103 countries together for a three day industry trade show that generated $40 million in revenue for Los Angeles.

"The City of Los Angeles is thrilled to welcome E3 back for another three years," said Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. "My office was committed to doing whatever it took to keep the largest annual conference that the City hosts here for another three years. I personally joined in the negotiations, and we worked with all parties to ensure the needs of E3 would be met. The City is grateful the Entertainment Software Association continues to view LA, the entertainment capital of the world, as the ideal location for the world's premiere video game convention."

The three-year agreement with Los Angeles also ensures E3 will continue as scheduled alongside AEG’s plans for downtown Los Angeles, including development of the new Farmer’s Field.

“ESA’s commitment to remain in Los Angeles is a critical endorsement of Los Angeles as one of the nation’s most important convention destinations,” said Timothy J. Leiweke, president & CEO, AEG. “Working with ESA to provide the confidence in scheduling they have requested has truly been a collaborative effort. We are also grateful to ESA for their thoughtful input into the design plans which will result in the most efficient and modern facilities that will not only benefit E3 but all of the new conventions that will come to Los Angeles. On behalf of our City and AEG, thank you ESA, we won’t let you down.”

“ESA supports AEG’s mission and vision for downtown Los Angeles and the areas surrounding the Los Angeles Convention Center,” Gallagher said. “We appreciate AEG’s willingness to work in partnership with our organization to not only create a construction schedule to accommodate the needs of our guests but also their commitment to incorporate many of our suggestions into the design of the new venues. These resulting upgrades to the facility will truly benefit all conventions and further establish Los Angeles as industry leaders. We are glad we could come to an agreement that keeps E3 in its traditional home.”

The event will be open to ESA members and non-members alike. Companies involved in console, PC, online, and social and mobile game publishing and development, qualified business partners, as well as makers of video game hardware and peripherals can exhibit.

Registration for attendees is not open, but additional details including, registration, hotel and travel accommodations, and media credentialing, will be forthcoming and available at www.e3expo.com. For more E3 updates and news, follow ESA on Twitter at @RichatESA or E3 on Twitter at @E3Expo and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/E3Expo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Was it really like that back at E3 2008 in whatever the city?

It doesn't sound so bad, but I can guess moving to one place to the next for journalist is going to be a bitch.

It's still has the same budget, right?

McHuj

Hey, worst case, only about 10months until next gen consoles are shown (I'm hoping for earlier)

Varth

LOL. So happy I'm not going*. Spent up to 120 $ for each day in cabs. Met some crazy and funny drivers but definitely not something I'd do again.

*I say that each f'in year

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
An explanation of what "a plethora of venues" means would be heavily appreciated. The LACC and L.A. LIVE facilities won't be that difficult to reach, but what if people have to venture all over town to different locations, that could prove itself quite a hassle.

With Microsoft and Sony destined to unveil their respective next generation consoles, will LACC be enough for them or will they choose other venues to best showcase their new platforms? It's probably too soon to speculate about, but surely will exhibiting companies have to work out different strategies on how they want their products to reach attendees most efficiently.

And Kagari, I wouldn't really compare this to E3 Media & Business Summit. The way the conference is structured in terms of facilities may be similar, but I don't see any indication of it being something as boring as it was in 2007/2008. Who knows, with great planning and collective transport (buses) regarding infrastructure, it may even benefit the show and provide a more vivid experience. Though as I wrote in the first paragraph, it could still prove itself quite a hassle.

It shall be interesting to see how ESA, LACC and other working partners will handle this. Most likely are we looking at a show that will define the next paradigm shift in the industry, and could perhaps rival the magnitude of E3 2005 and E3 2006.

My E3 hyped heart that rears its ugly head every year won't be able to take a week longer :(

Especially with the PS4/720 reveals.

image.php

JayTapp

I wish E3 would be somewhere easier to go for people living in the east. Montréal to L.A. is pretty far and expansive.

Somewhere in the middle would be cooler!. Denver, St-Louis, Chicago?

But the videogame industry is probably non existent there so yeah... :(

Let's do it in Montréal!

aparisi2274

I'd like them to keep Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo all in South Hall with some of the more popular 3rd party companies, and then move all the smaller companies out to the other venues....

It is going to be a mess down there next year, especially if they are in the middle of destroying the west hall....

Roto13

Oh for fuck's sake. Like LA isn't horrible enough when all you have to do is go between your hotel and the convention center in the morning and evening.

Jackano

Now that will be a wonderfull stadium! (Farmer's Field). We are quiet crying at that in France, trying to gather enough money to finish cleaning up some stadiums for EURO 2016...
I also never got that the Nokia Theater was so close to the convention center.

chris3116

I wish E3 would be somewhere easier to go for people living in the east. Montréal to L.A. is pretty far and expansive.

Somewhere in the middle would be cooler!. Denver, St-Louis, Chicago?

But the videogame industry is probably non existent there so yeah... :(

Let's do it in Montréal!

I agree. Go in Montreal. We had an history with video games events. Arcadia was cool back in 2006 and 2008.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After this disappointing year, i wonder if we should really hype the next E3?

Well i guess it can't be worse... there might be 2 new consoles(hopefully not too casual/media center oriented) and more Wii U games that aren't months old ports with little to no surprises coming from Nintendo(well, other than Nintendo Land...)

NHale

Have games journalists start complaining yet? But I'm sure that they will not complain since they are always saying complaining=entitlement.

But you could use L.A's great public Transportation.....LOL.

Actually a good friend of mine lives in Hollywood so we used to take the subway at Hollywood & Highland to downtown and walk 15 minutes to the convention center. Cheap and easy and we don't touch the freeways. This spread out stuff won't last though.

Odds are they will move to San Jose or San Francisco just like GDC.

nullset2

Hey, worst case, only about 10months until next gen consoles are shown (I'm hoping for earlier)

It'd be horrible to have them be a no-show, even next year... and I can almost see it happening. Remember, ps3 was planned for a "10 year" lifespan!

BY2K

Membero Americo
I agree. Go in Montreal. We had an history with video games events. Arcadia was cool back in 2006 and 2008.

What? 2006 was fine because we could try out the Wii before it came out (got to try Twilight Princess too) but my God, 2007 was god awful. A lot of the announced games were missing. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was supposed to be there (it was THE game they were hyping up as a game you could try out before it came out), I went the Friday, Brawl was nowhere to be seen. Later I learned that Brawl WAS there, but only Saturday night and Sunday.

Didn't even bother to go in 2008.

NHale

It'd be horrible to have them be a no-show, even next year... and I can almost see it happening. Remember, ps3 was planned for a "10 year" lifespan!

10 year lifespan doesn't mean that you can't launch a new console before those 10 years have passed. PS2 also had a 10 year lifespan and the PS3 didn't launch 10 years later.

.la1n

After the last couple years, E3 has become less and less enticing. Honestly it's easier to sit at home and watch than to try to attend and wade through the masses. Multiple locations I doubt will ease that any.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
As an LA native and veteran of many E3's, this is great news. I don't understand the bitching about our public transportation. I look forward to using the Expo line. Free parking, $2 to take the train into downtown, and get off 2 blocks from the convention center.

As long as everything is within walking distance of the convention center, you'll be fine. The only thing that might be cab-worthy is an after-hours party. I'm guessing if you're a big enough deal to go to those, your company will expense the cab fare.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The West Hall will still be up next year and it appears that the construction of the Main Hall extension is planned to occur between the 2013 and 2014 show.

While West Hall will still be around for next year's E3, plans for the AEG-backed Farmer's Field call for it to be torn down and rebuilt as an extension to the center's existing South Hall between the 2013 and 2014 shows, a construction project that threatened to impede the flow of convention-goers and the annual video game trade show. Once construction of the new extension is finished, the wall between it and South Hall will be removed, creating a single, massive hall.

The ESA also got the city and AEG to promise them that construction of Farmers Field that could affect access to the convention center would stop when the show was in town.

The biggest concern, that looming construction, was also settled. The city, convention center and the backers of Farmers Field promised to put on hold any construction that would impact the show or the ability to access the convention center in the days surrounding E3.

They also got a deal to get better hotel rooms for show attendees at a fair price:

While the construction was chief among the issues discussed between the association and the Los Angeles Mayor, AEG and the convention center, the ESA also had other concerns, Gallagher said. The association had over recent years received complaints of what Gallagher described as "opportunism" at some of the venues around the convention center. Some of the hotels and restaurants in the area were hiking their prices for rooms or swapping out menus for high-priced meals, when the convention center rolled into town.

"If E3 is the highest return on investment trade show in LA we deserve better than that," Gallagher said.

So among the negotiating points with the three LA groups was a request for more hotel access for show attendees and a promise that restaurants wouldn't hike their prices for the week of the show, something the city, AEG and the convention center managed to guarantee.

"We worked through those issues on hotel access to ensure we would have access to more hotels at a higher quality and a fair price," Gallagher said. "And they agreed to avoid the gouging that we had received a few examples of."

Here's a link to the full article over at The Verge.

:/

Would have much rather had it somewhere else than this. There are big convention center/similar venues around the country that wouldn't require you to travel all over the damn place.

Top Bottom