• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 set to stay in Los Angeles through 2015, but moves to several venues

"It was also confirmed that E3 2013 would take place June 11-13, 2013"

Fuck. 1st week was already pushing it but 2nd week now? I will definetly have no time watching E3 due to my exams, seeing Nextbox and PS4 getting unveiled... I will definetly fuck up my exams...

numble

Actually a good friend of mine lives in Hollywood so we used to take the subway at Hollywood & Highland to downtown and walk 15 minutes to the convention center. Cheap and easy and we don't touch the freeways. This spread out stuff won't last though.

Odds are they will move to San Jose or San Francisco just like GDC.
There is also a train that stops a block or so from the convention center.

KingJ2002

considering the overall plans LA has for downtown... it might be wise for E3 to stick around.

Transportation will get better downtown with a new street car system in place.

Here are all the projects being worked on downtown:

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/devel...cle_db47cbae-a381-11e1-9a56-001a4bcf887a.html

2015 is a good time to re-evaluate downtown la for the ESA... but by 2017... downtown la should be a pretty nice tourist area making it ideal to have conventions there.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn you ESA. Wish you would've brought it here. Good luck with your clusterfuck of an event.

Megasoum

Banned
I agree. Go in Montreal. We had an history with video games events. Arcadia was cool back in 2006 and 2008.

Heh I worked at Arcadia in 2008 for my studio... You can't really compare Arcadia to E3 lol.

It would be amazing to get E3 up here tho lol

Edit: And about the "multiple venues" didn't they clarified this morning that they meant about the big 3 conferences (aka just like it was this year and the previous years). The actual show is in one spot but the conferences are in other locations. I'm pretty sure that Alex Navarro said so on twitter earlier.

Meelow

Banned
It's only starting a week later I don't know why people are freaking out lol, besides for me I'm not even hyped for E3 next year, not after 2012.

LA Convention Center and LA Live is fine. They're adjacent to each other. You can walk between them, it's no big deal.

The "other venues" thing has me worried, though.

LA Convention Center and LA Live is fine. They're adjacent to each other. You can walk between them, it's no big deal.

The "other venues" thing has me worried, though.

I think other venues is talking about the press conferences...MS, EA, Ubisoft and Sony. Where was Nintendo's?

I think other venues is talking about the press conferences...MS, EA, Ubisoft and Sony. Where was Nintendo's?

The press conferences are always at other venues though (Nokia theatre, the Shrine, etc.), and really have nothing to do with official E3 planning.

Nintendo's was at LA Live, where its been since 2006 at least.

That was the Santa Monica E3, right?

I liked that one. Everything was in walking distance, except for that godawful hangar.

Beachside E3 is all right.

Santa Monica E3 was 2007. It came back to the LACC in 2008 (didn't Microsoft host its presser in a part of the LACC that year?), but attendance was still widely scaled down.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
They should hold it at a different place every year, as far as I'm concerned. :)

SJRB

Gold Member
As long as this doesn't compromise the keynotes and the daily GT TV coverage I don't really care that much, but still.. That massive Convention Center and the build up around it definately was a big part of E3's charm.

I can imagine this being pretty annoying for attendees though.

Harlock

It´s onlye matter for who going there. The important thing is that Sony/MS/Nintendo stop doing dumb conferece because they think the audience is dumb.

BlazinAm

Run fat journalist run!!!

Edit: On a more serious note, I think this works well for LA but is terrible for attendants there. I think this can work if they keep the convention locked to a few places like the convention center and LA live.

phants

Not gonna lie to you, I'm not ecstatic about this situation. I find it super tough to get a cab in LA regardless, and the choice between a) having to get a cab urgently or b) taking less appointments to start with is not one I want to have to make. Scheduling around it will be tough.

Presumably this will be taken into consideration by the ESA, but... yeah. Not great news so far.

RagnarokX

It´s onlye matter for who going there. The important thing is that Sony/MS/Nintendo stop doing dumb conferece because they think the audience is dumb.

I'd agree with you, but considering that for the past 2 E3s the audience has confused WiiU for a magic peripheral for Wii that somehow puts HD games on your home TV...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not gonna lie to you, I'm not ecstatic about this situation. I find it super tough to get a cab in LA regardless, and the choice between a) having to get a cab urgently or b) taking less appointments to start with is not one I want to have to make. Scheduling around it will be tough.

Presumably this will be taken into consideration by the ESA, but... yeah. Not great news so far.

Urgent cabs in LA? They exist??

alphaNoid

Banned
As an LA native and veteran of many E3's, this is great news. I don't understand the bitching about our public transportation. I look forward to using the Expo line. Free parking, $2 to take the train into downtown, and get off 2 blocks from the convention center.

As long as everything is within walking distance of the convention center, you'll be fine. The only thing that might be cab-worthy is an after-hours party. I'm guessing if you're a big enough deal to go to those, your company will expense the cab fare.

This, non LA folk are blowing things out of proportion.

What's the justification behind this?

Farmer's Field (LA NFL Stadium) is being built right at the convention center and a portion if not all of 1 hall is being demo'd in order to make room for it and the new parking structure.

FARMERS-FIELD---EXTERIOR---AERIAL---VIEW-WITH-CLOSED-ROOF.jpg

0202-NFL-LOS-ANGELES.JPG_full_600.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
I was here when Sony, MS and Nintendo revealed 7th generation of consoles, and it was epic. Megatons were dropped, CGI trailers were presented as realtime graphics, ducks were moved in the water, and GTA4 tatoos were shown. GAF servers were down... a lot.

Hopefully next E3 will deliver, and we will see a ton of nextgen projects by every major team. So far, my hype is centerd at Deus Ex Human Revolution sequel from Eidos. Cant wait to see that, and what PC configuration I will need to buy to play it. :D

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Odds are they will move to San Jose or San Francisco just like GDC.

Neither San Jose nor San Francisco have spaces large enough to accommodate E3. Not even close. It's basically LA or Las Vegas, or they leave the West Coast, and that's not going to happen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Farmer's Field (LA NFL Stadium) is being built right at the convention center and a portion if not all of 1 hall is being demo'd in order to make room for it and the new parking structure.

http://farmersfield.com/page/-/images/slides/lg/FARMERS-FIELD---EXTERIOR---AERIAL---VIEW-WITH-CLOSED-ROOF.jpg[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/0202-nfl-los-angeles.jpg/9520969-1-eng-US/0202-NFL-LOS-ANGELES.JPG_full_600.jpg[/IMG ][/QUOTE]

Building an NFL Stadium, without first securing an NFL team, seems smart. Looks nice though.

Eh, I might have cared three or four years ago. The past recent years though, the shows have been a total dud showing mostly boring, generic stuff sandwiched between filler corporate-talk going on and on about numbers and company performance.

Thank god for system reveals next year as its one of the few relevant things left worth watching. (Assuming they don't mess it up like Nintendo during this year's show.)

FARMERS-FIELD---EXTERIOR---AERIAL---VIEW-WITH-CLOSED-ROOF.jpg

0202-NFL-LOS-ANGELES.JPG_full_600.jpg

"Non LA Folk are blowing this out of proportion..."

"... here's some sensationalized photos of what the Los Angeles Public Relations office put out ... (...blowing things out of proportion)."

Fact is, traveling around your city sucks. Us non-LA people have been to other cities for conventions where travel didn't suck as much as it does in LA.

mollipen

In this thread, the media complains about the transit between appointments.

I like how you post that as if it isn't a valid complaint.

Also, I hadn't seen the renders for how Farmers Field was actually going to be place (even though I live here). Are they serious? That looks like insanity to me, and it also seems to be removing a huge amount of the convention center (that I'm not sure the "new hall" will be able to make up for).

alphaNoid

Banned
"Non LA Folk are blowing this out of proportion..."

"... here's some sensationalized photos of what the Los Angeles Public Relations office put out ... (...blowing things out of proportion)."

Fact is, traveling around your city sucks. Us non-LA people have been to other cities for conventions where travel didn't suck as much as it does in LA.

Well I should correct myself, I don't live in LA. I live in Orange County which is south of LA. Every time I go to LA I drive in and I seem to get around pretty easy. Most downtowns can be a pain due to one way streets etc.. but LA isn't that bad.

I go to E3 every year and next year means I'll drive to another site if I have to. Nothing I can do to change that since the city is hell bent on Farmer's Field. I still think that the option to build in the City of Industry on the hill side was far superior.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wait, it's gonna have a new hall? Which means more space? That's great news, no?

Yes, the problem is that it's going to take a few years to build that, so in the meantime they have to make do with half the normal space.

What may happen is that this will be structured more like GamesCom. People will have smaller booths which ONLY have what they want to be show floor playable, while other stuff will be farmed out to other venues.

For instance at Gamescom last year Sony had a booth presence, but closed doors stuff took place off-site - at Sony's hotel, across the street from the Convention Centre. They literally rented out several suites and did all their interviews and stuff there. Capcom's doing the same this year. Several companies do it at Gamescom. Gamescom has a lot of business areas, too, like the upper meeting rooms at LACC - but not everybody uses them. This won't be anything near like 2008.

If people chill out on the monolithic booths and move the closed doors stuff away from gigantic walled areas of the booth and to other areas that are off site (but not too far off site), I'll actually be happy. I mean, I can do an interview and not have to listen to the thumping bass of every trailer running way too loud in the CC? Bonus!

It sounds like they're looking at LA Live and other areas, so I can't imagine anything (sans the Press Conferences) will be outside walking distance from the CC.

Wait, it's gonna have a new hall? Which means more space? That's great news, no?

Yeah, when the new hall is in it'll be fucking great. That's several years away, but now they've signed through the difficult construction phase I can't see E3 moving once construction is complete. The new hall will be larger than the current West & South combined, and it eliminates the walk between West and South people have to do between appointments today.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What may happen is that this will be structured more like GamesCom. People will have smaller booths which ONLY have what they want to be show floor playable, while other stuff will be farmed out to other venues.

For instance at Gamescom last year Sony had a booth presence, but closed doors stuff took place off-site - at Sony's hotel, across the street from the Convention Centre. They literally rented out several suites and did all their interviews and stuff there. Capcom's doing the same this year. Several companies do it at Gamescom. Gamescom has a lot of business areas, too, like the upper meeting rooms at LACC - but not everybody uses them. This won't be anything near like 2008.

If people chill out on the monolithic booths and move the closed doors stuff away from gigantic walled areas of the booth and to other areas that are off site (but not too far off site), I'll actually be happy. I mean, I can do an interview and not have to listen to the thumping bass of every trailer running way too loud in the CC? Bonus!

It sounds like they're looking at LA Live and other areas, so I can't imagine anything (sans the Press Conferences) will be outside walking distance from the CC.

Would be glorious if that happened.

Top Bottom