• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II Official Spoiler Thread - Book Of Revelations

DieH@rd

Banned
spoilerbannercopy2oom1.png

This is a place for unrestricted spoilery discussion about Darksiders II, its story, endgame features and gameplay elements. Spoiler tag is not needed.

PLEASE, DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING ABOUT THE GAME IN THE OFFICIAL THREAD! Game does not have worldwide release day [US 14th, EU 21st], and many players around the world will not get the chance to play the game for a while now.

In few days US fans will get the game, dozens of reviews will hit the web, and in some Asian markets game can already be bought according to some reports.

DieH@rd

Banned
They are brothers in arms, not real brothers. Death is from the 1st generation of the Niphillim [uber powerful from birth], but War, Strife and Fury are from 2nd generation [less powerful]. All of them received additional power upgrade from the Council.

According to Abomination Vault, Niphilim were artificially created race made from Angels and Demons. When they realized that they dont have home and that Creator prophesied that EDEN must be left untouched for impending arrival of Human race, they got really pissed and started intergalactic war. After destruction of countless worlds and civilizations, Charred Council with the help of the 4 rebel Niphilim managed to destroy them all.

Another thing that I noticed from AV is that DEATH is the boss. He doesn't take shit from anyone [absolutely anyone], and other horsemen are clearly less powerful and very less informed than him. He knows all the players, and he holds within him all the secrets of his race.

Im currently at 50% of the book, and so far... Strife was portrayed very lightly as impatient, and Fury as more emotional than the rest.

Heard there was another cliffhanger in this, as expected though.

Hopefully we'll see some in-game character model of Strife.

DieH@rd

Banned
What's Abomination Vault?

Book, set few millenia before the "arrival" of the Third Kingdom [Humans].

The_abomination_vault_cover.png

"Ages before the events of Darksiders and Darksiders II, two of the feared Horsemen—Death and War—are tasked with stopping a group of renegades from locating the Abomination Vault: a hoard containing weapons of ultimate power and malice, capable of bringing an end to the uneasy truce between Heaven and Hell . . . but only by unleashing total destruction."

Sober

So basically in the first game they don't spell it out, but the Charred Council was in on the conspiracy to start the Apocalypse early right? Abbadon and Azrael (along with Ulthane) were the ones who basically broke six of the seven seals then attacked Hell.

How does War get summoned in the first game, exactly? If the last seal wasn't broken, how was he summoned to Earth? Or did the CC send him there to frame him for starting it early?

I assume his brothers find out about War, which is why DS2 takes place with Death trying to prove War was innocent in the matter. Meanwhile (or 100 years later) War is sent to kill the conspirators. So that means whatever happens in DS2 is supposed to precipitate the CC's decision to send War back, or was that their plan all along?

DieH@rd

Banned
How does War get summoned in the first game, exactly? If the last seal wasn't broken, how was he summoned to Earth? Or did the CC send him there to frame him for starting it early?

Azrael mentioned [and it was even shown] that Ulthane reforged the seventh seal and then destroyed the sword that can be used to crack the seal.

Sober

Azrael mentioned [and it was even shown] that Ulthane reforged the seventh seal and then destroyed the sword that can be used to crack the seal.
So Death, Fury, and Strife probably got activated but didn't head to Earth right away like War did? I find it odd that even if they broke it and then taped it back together the other three horsemen wouldn't know about it or suspected it.

DieH@rd

Banned
So Death, Fury, and Strife probably got activated but didn't head to Earth right away like War did? I find it odd that even if they broke it and then taped it back together the other three horsemen wouldn't know about it or suspected it.

Somehow they activated only War, because they knew that he can be framed easily.

Syriel

After destruction of countless worlds and civilizations, Charred Council with the help of the 4 rebel Niphilim managed to destroy them all.

No they didn't! Trapped, but not destroyed. And those Nephilim are kinda pissed.

Course you find out that bit right away. Was also revealed at E3.

They are brothers in arms, not real brothers. Death is from the 1st generation of the Niphillim [uber powerful from birth], but War, Strife and Fury are from 2nd generation [less powerful]. All of them received additional power upgrade from the Council.

According to Abomination Vault, Niphilim were artificially created race made from Angels and Demons. When they realized that they dont have home and that Creator prophesied that EDEN must be left untouched for impending arrival of Human race, they got really pissed and started intergalactic war. After destruction of countless worlds and civilizations, Charred Council with the help of the 4 rebel Niphilim managed to destroy them all.

Another thing that I noticed from AV is that DEATH is the boss. He doesn't take shit from anyone [absolutely anyone], and other horsemen are clearly less powerful and very less informed than him. He knows all the players, and he holds within him all the secrets of his race.

Im currently at 50% of the book, and so far... Strife was portrayed very lightly as impatient, and Fury as more emotional than the rest.

so what I said could make sense then if he's from the 1st generation death could have three other brothers or sister...being Famine/Conquest /Pestilance ... could be baddies

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Wait, why are the other horsemen named Fury and Strife rather than the traditional names?

Dahbomb

Probably because you can make games with heroes named Fury and Strife but not Pestilence and Famine. Besides it's a very lose interpretation of the Apocalypse. There might be other previous horsemen.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Because this is a Fantasy game set in its own unique universe.

Sure, but considering that they kept War and Death it just made me expect they'd keep the other two. Obviously they can do whatever they want. I was just curious.

Probably because you can make games with heroes named Fury and Strife but not Pestilence and Famine. Besides it's a very lose interpretation of the Apocalypse. There might be other previous horsemen.

I don't see why you can't use the names Famine and Pestilence (or Conquest, depending on the source you draw from).

Sidzed2

So guys, I'm totally stuck on the Samael boss fight. His "electricity" phase just slaughters me within seconds - any strategies?

Sidzed2

This is a very good game, but on the story level it does absolutely nothing interesting. It feels like a waste of the fascinating universe. The ending is a big nothing, and the game's plot feels like wheels simply spinning, biding time for Darksiders 5 (?) when something actually happens.

Oh, and the final boss was nowhere as good as the Destroyer was.

DieH@rd

Banned
First 3 hours went like a blink, so good. I even went trough few optional dungeons and got 2 possessed claws [im more heavy weapon guy, if someone has possessed axe/hammer/scythe, give me a call].

Syriel

This is a very good game, but on the story level it does absolutely nothing interesting. It feels like a waste of the fascinating universe. The ending is a big nothing, and the game's plot feels like wheels simply spinning, biding time for Darksiders 5 (?) when something actually happens.

Oh, and the final boss was nowhere as good as the Destroyer was.

If you played Darksiders then you know the point at which Darksiders II must end. The games run in parallel after all.

Sidzed2

If you played Darksiders then you know the point at which Darksiders II must end. The games run in parallel after all.

Sure, but the way it gets to that end feels completely unnatural, disconnected and anticlimactic. DS2 feels like a lame, small-scale side story.

Syriel

Sure, but the way it gets to that end feels completely unnatural, disconnected and anticlimactic. DS2 feels like a lame, small-scale side story.

On that point I would disagree. While the plot is constrained by its ultimate end, the story is satisfying in its own right. Now to mention, it does reveal more about the universe and hints that the events we saw in Darksiders with War were merely a side project and not the ultimate goal.

On that point I would disagree. While the plot is constrained by its ultimate end, the story is satisfying in its own right. Now to mention, it does reveal more about the universe and hints that the events we saw in Darksiders with War were merely a side project and not the ultimate goal.

Have you both beat the game or are you just making assumptions?

Just beat it on the PC after 25 hour very good game overall even with the few issues I had with it.

In particular, the ending felt pretty half-assed to me. I liked the boss fight and Death sacrificing himself to resurrect mankind, but then it just stops and plays the ending to Darksiders 1!

Umm, you guys wanna, I don't know, SHOW that humanity has resurrected or something? And from what I can tell everything that Death does happens before the end of DS1, so how does that work exactly? Does humanity come back to Earth (aka demon vs. angel apocalyptic shithole)?

I guess I just wanted a more satisfying conclusion. The first game had a cliffhanger ending but still managed to rap up it's main story and do it in an incredibly badass way. In this game Death dies (wat), and then the story stops and reminds you that he's not ACTUALLY dead, and then roll credits.

That probably makes me seem way more down on the game than I actually am because I did really love the game overall.

Sidzed2

Just beat it on the PC after 25 hour very good game overall even with the few issues I had with it.

In particular, the ending felt pretty half-assed to me. I liked the boss fight and Death sacrificing himself to resurrect mankind, but then it just stops and plays the ending to Darksiders 1!

Umm, you guys wanna, I don't know, SHOW that humanity has resurrected or something? And from what I can tell everything that Death does happens before the end of DS1, so how does that work exactly? Does humanity come back to Earth (aka demon vs. angel apocalyptic shithole)?

I guess I just wanted a more satisfying conclusion. The first game had a cliffhanger ending but still managed to rap up it's main story and do it in an incredibly badass way. In this game Death dies (wat), and then the story stops and reminds you that he's not ACTUALLY dead, and then roll credits.

That probably makes me seem way more down on the game than I actually am because I did really love the game overall.

Yup. Exactly what you said!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Was it really necessary, Vigil? To replay the ending of the first game? (Why did Uriel retake her line, though? It was fine in the first game.)

The final boss battle is pretty anti-climatic too (PISS EASY compared to Samael). There's no "ending twist", except that Death is revived after his sacrifice once Uriel destroys the last seal.

Samael was way more awesome (mainly because it was a fight I was looking forward to) and harder for me. It also had better music IMO.

There's still a problem, too. Yeah, Mankind will be back, but what will 7 billion people do on a half-destroyed Earth still full of demons?

The whole second half of the game feels incredibly rushed and empty compared to the first half. Lostlight and Shadow's Edge COMBINED don't even have HALF the content of EITHER the Forge Lands or the Kingdom of the Dead. The Black Stone is incredibly short for a final dungeon. I thought The Well of Souls could have been one.

For the most part, the story in 2 is as absent as it was in 1. We learn as few things. (Lilith is Death's self-proclaimed mother, for instance) but it too feels rushed, especially the re-hash OF THE SAME CLIFFHANGER ENDING AS THE FIRST GAME but this time in comic/2D animation instead of a cutscene.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game and won't stop playing until I platinum'd it, but please don't rush it so much for Darksiders III, Vigil. Take your time, I will wait.

EDIT: Actually, you know what, I understand the re-use of the first game's ending. (Still not as awesome as in the first one, though.)

Haunted

What an impotent ending. Really disappointing after the first one had such a terrific setup. No wonder this thread is dead.

Something must've went wrong during development, either they miscalculated, ran out of time or budget or manpower... the later parts of the game feel incredibly rushed and shallow compared to the Forge Lands, and that ending was just weak. Something must have happened, because I don't think the same people who concocted the excellent first one could be responsible for this one if everything went according to plan.

It's just so important to leave your players with a great final hour and ending, it paints so much of how a player feels about the game overall. Darksiders 1 really nailed that, and I think Darksiders 2 will leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wow, this games gameplay is so much better than the first one's, but the story is seems so unimportant.

Yeah it is cool that Death will be revived through the break f the last seal. But why bring back humanity if the real apocalypse starts now?

Absalom also was a disappointing enemy, Samael and Lilith are the real interesting ones.

And still no real in game design of Strife and Fury.

Hopefully it sells well so we could get a third game which begins AFTER Darksiders

Haunted

Hopefully it sells well so we could get a third game which begins AFTER Darksiders
At this rate we'll get to continue the story in Darksiders 5. I'm sure everyone is just dying to see what Strife (Darksiders 3) and Fury (Darksiders 4) are up to during the events of the first game.

*vomits*

Top Bottom