• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NHL lockout is over!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

Attaboy NHL and NHLPA! Now fans of the greatest league in the world can enjoy following their teams again.

Sorry AHL / KHL / OHL / WHL / QJMHL / European elite leagues / World Juniors, I just didn't give a fuck about any of you.

edit:

Bish / Evilore, can we ban Solo for the entirety of the new season, please? Solo would brag about how he knew the lockout would last an entire year all the time in the community lockout thread. :lol

Attaboy NHL and NHLPA! Now fans of the greatest league in the world can enjoy following their teams again.

Sorry AHL / KHL / OHL / WHL / QJMHL / European elite leagues / World Juniors, I just didn't give a fuck about any of you.

I watched Green Bay dismantle the Vikings yesterday.

Montresor

I watched Green Bay dismantle the Vikings yesterday.

My condolences. That must have been really painful.

Let's be nice. =p

I think it's a great thing for fans of all the commercialized competitive sports in North America. NFL fans _almost_ went through this two years ago, and NBA fans had to suffer this BS through December of last year.

I'm stoked that we're going to have live NHL hockey once again!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If the Leafs make the playoffs, it doesn't count. This is gross.

On the plus side, it looks like the season would start with the Bruins in Montreal on HNIC, so I guess there's that.

entremet

Frankly, with half the season done already, I just don't care about the NHL this year.

Lockout shortened seasons are fun because it's not a long slog and games are more meaningful. Both the NHL and NBA have way too many games per season.

Sapiens

This is nice and all, but I wonder how much more damage the NHL did to themselves in the US.

Lockout shortened seasons are fun because it's not a long slog and games are more meaningful. Both the NHL and NBA have way too many games per season.

Yes, many say they are more more interesting because there is a lot less time to jockey for playoff positions.

Liberty4all

Banned
We approve.

sSzsk.jpg

I'm still extremely bitter about the All-Star Game in Columbus getting canceled. I was pretty psyched for it.

Oh well. Time to watch some shitty CBJ hockey.

Opiate

Congratulations for hockey fans. I hope you have a fun season.

Have there been any estimates as to the long term financial effects of this lockout yet? Not the short term effects (e.g. lost ticket sales), mind you, but a sense of how this will effect the popularity of the sport long term.

It feels to my untrained eye that people are less upset about this lockout than they were the previous one, for example. Or the 94 MLB strike, as another.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Sorry but the damage is done. If they can lockout half the season and act like rich babies and still expect goodwill from me and others to start forking over good old cash, then forget it. Like any business, they have lost mine, because of their lack of professionalism and class.

I'll start watching next season, and maybe then they'll ALL remember who signs their paycheques and pays their bills.

They were on strike?

But seriously, remember when my Bruins beat Vancouver and then Vancouver fans rioted. Oh Canada indeed.

It feels to my untrained eye that people are less upset about this lockout than they were the previous one, for example. Or the 94 MLB strike, as another.

The NHL should be petrified over how unaffected the sports world seemed to be over this particular strike.

WedgeX

Banned
The lockout has ended just in time........... for me to move away from the Wings broadcast area. Now I'll be stuck watching the Capitals. Ack.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Congratulations for hockey fans. I hope you have a fun season.

Have there been any estimates as to the long term financial effects of this lockout yet? Not the short term effects (e.g. lost ticket sales), mind you, but a sense of how this will effect the popularity of the sport long term.

Impact should be minimal, likely

Most people blame the PA for this lockout. Much like the 94 MLB strike, Donald fehr is the head of the PA, but NHL wouldn't bend over for them like MLB did

Is Luongo a Leaf yet?

Not that I find myself really caring. Seriously, the Jays had more success in November/December than the Leafs would have had if they played.

Shit. There goes the Leafs being first in any division. It was the only bright spot.

But yeah... I'm not sure if I'm going to be watching any games at all...

Ripclawe

Banned
According to reports, the 2013-14 salary cap, a sticking point in the final days of negotiations, will be set at $64.3 million with a floor of $44 million.

That seems fairly reasonable.

Cheerilee

I was really hopeful that the season would get cancelled and the world's best non-NHL teams would gather to compete for the Stanley Cup.

NHL teams competing for it seems like a boring consolation prize now. Oh well, there's always next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom