• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Telltale Games responded to the save game glitch in TWD?

Kosma

Banned
Have they offered any solution yet? For a game that's GOTY this sure is a game ruining bug they are keeping quiet about/don't care about.

On their forums I can see threads about it with no response, they also don't seem to have a customer support address you can email or anything. Not really professional.

For those that don't know, The Walking Dead erases saves, or doesn't read them on PC. I wanted to finish playing the game today and everything is gone. No point in playing it even. Won't be buying anymore of their games unless this is solved.

Edit: If you have the same issue I suggest you email them at: support@telltalegames.com

Edit 2: Seems Telltale games doesn't want to respond, people are so mad they are sending emails to Kotaku asking them to talk about it http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/01/fans-sick-of-walking-dead-bugs-want-their-money-back/

Gaspode_T

I really can't think of a good reason to not play through a whole episode in one sitting, if you give yourself 3 hours any of them can be done in under that time. The rhythm, pacing of the episode probably feels much better if you don't stop midway. If you are talking about iPad or something I might understand, but I think it is a shame to play such a great game on a tablet instead of TV screen.

I really can't think of a good reason to not play through a whole episode in one sitting, if you give yourself 3 hours any of them can be done in under that time. The rhythm, pacing of the episode probably feels much better if you don't stop midway. If you are talking about iPad or something I might understand, but I think it is a shame to play such a great game on a tablet instead of TV screen.

Remember, it pulls decisions you've made from previous episodes... Which are on that save.

PaulLFC

So the bug is related to saving mid-episode? I can see your point, but even so, people should have the option if they want it - the bug shouldn't exist and for them to not be doing anything about it isn't right.

Kosma

Banned

What are you on about.

I had 3/5 episodes complete. Wanted to start episode 4.

Plus I'm on PC as I said.

Telltale? Fix something? You're kidding, right?

Seems a bit silly they would win GOTY for an experience that is ruined by such a glitch. The whole game works only on the presumption you play it once and your choices matter.

They've gone as far as to say there's nothing planned to address it, iirc. There's something profoundly wrong with the management at Telltale in not realizing what a good-will raising hit they have on their hands and pouring as much time+money as is necessary.

... odd post considering the thread, but if developers agreed felt that the iPad version wasn't worth playing you'd think they wouldn't put it out.
They've gone as far as to say there's nothing planned to address it, iirc. There's something profoundly wrong with the management at Telltale in not realizing what a good-will raising hit they have on their hands and pouring as much time+money as is necessary.
It's odd, considering how successful the game is. If anything I'd hope they'd be more encouraged to fix it, to not have their greatest recieved game blighted by being considered a technical mess.

JordanKZ

Nope. I completely lost my episode 4 save. I ended up watching a playthrough of episode 5 rather than start the entire game from scratch. Kinda shitty.

feel

Inexcusable behavior by Telltale. It upsets me a lot that they're being allowed to get away with it.

Backflip

The problem also exists on the MAC version. I had to install steam on my 6 year old MacBook in order to finish the game (with half of the textures missing) as my iMac wouldn't let me use my save file.

I don't think a lot of people would play through all five episodes in one sitting, and even then the save files would probably still be erased since it takes you to the main menu after every episode.

Nibel

They should also fix the mouse input lag bug in the Mac version which can be only solved if you play in windowed mode..

Seems a bit silly they would win GOTY for an experience that is ruined by such a glitch. The whole game works only on the presumption you play it once and your choices matter.

They've always been like this. Stopped buying their games after monkey island when it was clear they weren't changing.

As for the award, "gaming journalism lol" + the problem not hitting everyone I guess. Just look at all the garbage bethesda pushed out to reviewers, giving 360 versions of skyrim when PS3 versions were requested. they knew their game was garbage, but they also knew the gaming press wouldn't make any major complaint over it because apart from a very short list of publications, they're totally spineless.

Wow really? Gonna go take a look now.

Ya, that's Telltale's official response. You have to manually change some files but that doesn't always work is what I heard from most.

This is what telltale said:

Matt P Telltale Team said:
It's possible that you have a second prefs file on your computer that is interfering with your save data. Please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory (Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead). If you find another copy elsewhere, this needs to be removed. Usually this duplicate file can be found in either a Gamedata folder adjacent to your save directory, or in your installation folder. If you remove this file, but still experience the issue, then it's possible the duplicate file is being recognized instead of the prefs in your save directory. Please take the duplicate file and move it into your save folder (which will overwrite the existing file). You may want to back-up both of these files before attempting this process, just in case.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41365

Even with this fix there's no telling how much older that save will be and for some they got their progress back but the choices they made were randomly rechosen for them even after using this method. In other words, telltale refuses to ever do jack shit, it's why I'll never buy it.

Cowie

This begs the question, is there a 'safe' version of this game? Outside of the PC Save bugs I recall there being major problems with at least the 360 version as well.

Raw64life

Bought the game during the Steam sale. Played through Episode 1. It didn't transfer my save over to Episode 2. Never played it again. Oh well.

UrbanRats

Yeah, really disappointed by all this story.
I feel like i dodged a bullet not getting the game, it's a shame too, because Episode 1 was a lot of fun when i tried it.

Oh well, they're coming off as a shit company, not saying a word on the issue.

Tenrius

My game wouldn't save, but somehow kept all the choices. I actually noticed it only by episode 4 which is the only one I haven't finished in one sitting. Didn't get the last achievement either. It's quite bad they're not fixing it, but not as atrocious as that Space Marine sound glitch or Stranger's Wrath PC.

If they don't fix it by the next season though, that's when I'll get angry.

My game wouldn't save, but somehow kept all the choices. I actually noticed it only by episode 4 which is the only one I haven't finished in one sitting. Didn't get the last achievement either. It's quite bad they're not fixing it, but not as atrocious as that Space Marine sound glitch or Stranger's Wrath PC.

If they don't fix it by the next season though, that's when I'll get angry.

Eh, I don't know. Stranger's Wrath eventually got fixed and updated to HD and losing your save and all the choices you made in the game makes this game pretty unplayable.

You can email them at:

support@telltalegames.com

I just did asking them if they will offer refunfds/complimentary codes/a real solution.

I don't know about refunds and such but there is no "real solution", I already copy and pasted what they're community person says about the glitch, that same canned response is in like 10 threads at least asking about the save bug. They don't care.

Kosma

Banned
I don't know about refunds and such but there is no "real solution", I already copy and pasted what they're community person says about the glitch, that same canned response is in like 10 threads at least asking about the save bug. They don't care.

I feel for the community guy.

If that's the official line then this is the first and last game I bought from them.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe they can't fix it?

Maybe they can't fix it?

I don't see how it's absolutely impossible to fix, it would have to be that they think it's not worth their time/effort. It's a gamebreaking bug that makes the game unplayable and seems pretty damn common, that's not acceptable. They don't even respond back, besides the canned response, people have responded back saying it didn't work is there anything else to try and no one answers. If it is though at least come out and say it, don't steal people's money and continue to steal people's money by ignoring the issue like it doesn't exist like they are. They won't even talk about it.

Kosma

Banned
If they can't fix it, they should give people their money back.

That's how things work.

If you buy a broken product you are entitled to a refund.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, this killed my interest in the game. Completed the first three episodes and loved them...tried to start Episode 4 and my save was erased. I'm not sure I'll ever finish it as a result as the whole situation just left such a bad taste in my mouth. I've been supporting Telltale even through the JP period (oof) but this is just not acceptable. The game is broken and they will not even comment on it.

You can email them at:

support@telltalegames.com

I just did asking them if they will offer refunfds/complimentary codes/a real solution.

It's hard to believe the press isn't calling them out on this. Gaming press is worthless.

Yeah, seriously. Have the gaming journalists been bribed, or are they seriously this incompetent? And what's worst is that a lot of the best gaming journalists are small and never gets heard.

EDIT: By the way, for those who don't know, this issue doesn't exist on X360 and PS3, which is why I recommend that version. I rather get a version with a little bit of framerate issues than a version that erases save files.

Yeah, seriously. Have the gaming journalists been bribed, or are they seriously this incompetent? And what's worst is that a lot of the best gaming journalists are small and never gets heard.

It's gaming journalism, they don't give a shit. It's frustrating too because there was an interview with the CEO of telltale saying how much money they were getting and successful The Walking Dead has been and neither him nor the interviewer said anything even slightly about the save bug problem.

I found one story about this so far, seems the issue is legit and people are so mad they start contacting sites cause customer support is doing nothing:

(kotaku Australia lol)

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/01/fans-sick-of-walking-dead-bugs-want-their-money-back/

Damn, one freaking article and it was only written yesterday. This bug has been known for ages now...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe they can't fix it?

The root cause for the particular issue most encounter (the game not correctly tracking progress) seems to be that the game both writes to and reads from two different directories, with it switching between the two in either case randomly. The fact that not even this has been fixed is inexcusable.

.hacked

I had no issues playing it on my iPad 4 but my wife did loose her save for chapter 4 and had to restart 1/2 into chapter 3 for some reason. She is playing it on her ipad mini.

PaulLFC

They should be forced to refund anyone who's encountered this bug, as clearly the product isn't fit for purpose. The fact that they evidently can't be arsed to do anything about it is just insulting when they're charging money for it.

Kosma

Banned
It's gaming journalism, they don't give a shit. It's frustrating too because there was an interview with the CEO of telltale saying how much money they were getting and successful The Walking Dead has been and neither him nor the interviewer said anything even slightly about the save bug problem.

Damn, one freaking article and it was only written yesterday. This bug has been known for ages now...

You know whats sad? If you want to find the telltale games customer support email address you have to look under the JOBS section on their website.

If you click on support directly you're just routed to the forums where you have to register for.

Seriously? Two articles from Kotaku? Did you not even look at the publish dates either? Ya, it's getting so much press...

I assume he did since he wrote one of them

Jason, you should write an updated article even if they don't respond, just to show they don't care. This is how telltale have operated for a long while, but its been rather under the radar since nothing else they've made has been a breakout hit

That's cool Jason, thanks for linking them.

Clearly he was unfairly generalising, but it seems like the tone in the overall press, (as you point out in the first article) has been overwhelmingly positive and it hasn't stopped the game winning numerous Game of the Year awards.

It's a difficult issue, because while the bugs I had were small (but annoying), I feel so much for people who lost saves in particular, or those that couldn't even get far enough to make substantial saves thanks to it crashing e.g. the Mac version for johntv.

I assume he did since he wrote one of them

Jason, you should write an updated article even if they don't respond, just to show they don't care. This is how telltale have operated for a long while, but its been rather under the radar since nothing else they've made has been a breakout hit

Haha, didn't notice it was him at first. :p

That's cool Jason, thanks for linking them.

Clearly he was unfairly generalising, but it seems like the tone in the overall press, (as you point out in the first article) has been overwhelmingly positive and it hasn't stopped the game winning numerous Game of the Year awards.

It's a difficult issue, because while the bugs I had were small (but annoying), I feel so much for people who lost saves in particular, or those that couldn't even get far enough to make substantial saves thanks to it crashing e.g. the Mac version for johntv.

Eh, most don't care. It's not like Skyrim didn't win anything after their abomination of a PS3 version.

jschreier

Seriously? Two articles from Kotaku? Did you not even look at the publish dates either? Ya, it's getting so much press...

I have known about the bugs for ~2 weeks now. We've written about them twice since then. I know it's fun to bitch about games journalism, but I think that's pretty fair.

Also, in case you're curious, I am publishing something this week about how my episode 4 disappeared and I had to play all of episode 5 with random decisions. Game of the fucking year.

Kosma

Banned
I already linked to one Kotaku article, but lets be fair here, two opinion pieces on Kotaku (which 1. doesn't have the best rep I'm sorry 2. one of which is Kotaku Australia) aren't putting too much pressure on Telltale.

Thanks Jason for writing about it, maybe as suggested you can do a follow up piece about how a company that is so proud to boast they won like 60 awards for this game doesn't give a shit about this big issue.

Could you maybe also research what our rights are as customers that have purchased faulty products?

I have known about the bugs for ~2 weeks now. We've written about them twice since then. I know it's fun to bitch about games journalism, but I think that's pretty fair.

Also, in case you're curious, I am publishing something this week about how my episode 4 disappeared and I had to play all of episode 5 with random decisions. Game of the fucking year.

Seriously its still your goty after all your choices where reduced to a roll of the dice? How is that game of the year?

The whole point of the game was to make your own choices, if they disappear the whole experience means less then nothing. Might as well watch it on Youtube since my input is not needed.

jschreier

I already linked to one Kotaku article, but lets be fair here, two opinion pieces on Kotaku (one of which is Kotaku Australia) aren't putting too much pressure on Telltale.

Thanks Jason for writing about it, maybe as suggested you can do a follow up piece about how a company that is so proud to boast they won like 60 awards for this game doesn't give a shit about this big issue.

Could you maybe also research what our rights are as customers that have purchased faulty products?

Kotaku Australia republishes articles from Kotaku US. Those articles are both from Kotaku US.

As for your other questions, I can't promise anything, but those are good suggestions.

You're taking this way too personally. The bug has been around for longer than 2 weeks and even if you guys are covering it, I don't think you can argue most video game sites are (or I haven't seen it at least). The frustration isn't with you personally, it's with the whole industry, there's more sites than kotaku and compare the chatter this got vs. DayZ and other completely fucked games. For how common this is and is gamebreaking where you have to start from episode 1 again, you would think it would be more than 2 kotaku articles and one that was literally like 2 days ago. Don't make it personal, it isn't.

I already linked to one Kotaku article, but lets be fair here, two opinion pieces on Kotaku (which 1. doesn't have the best rep I'm sorry 2. one of which is Kotaku Australia) aren't putting too much pressure on Telltale.

Seriously its still your goty after all your choices where reduced to a roll of the dice? How is that game of the year?

The whole point of the game was to make your own choices, if they disappear the whole experience means less then nothing. I've had more satisfying dumps on the toilet then.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm on his part. :p

The save bug also happens on the Xbox360 version. PS3 is the most safe version right now, but has more framerate issues and glitches instead lol

Really shitty overall.

They didn't even bother to fix the 360 retail version. Official response: "Thanks you bought the retail version for 30$. If it doesn't work, we give you a free code to download the game from Live (that is worth 25$)." No patch, nothing...

Top Bottom