• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Telltale Games responded to the save game glitch in TWD?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No response aside from they have nothing planned. Similarly, their response to fixing the quite literally unplayable retail version (which is "buy a bigger harddrive") doesn't actually work. Shitheads.

Kosma

Banned
No response aside from they have nothing planned. Similarly, their response to fixing the quite literally unplayable retail version (which is "buy a bigger harddrive") doesn't actually work. Shitheads.

What is this issue if you don't mind me asking?

The save bug also happens on the Xbox360 version. PS3 is the most safe version right now, but has more framerate issues and glitches instead lol

Really shitty overall.

They didn't even bother to fix the 360 retail version. Official response: "Thanks you bought the retail version for 30$. If it doesn't work, we give you a free code to download the game from XBLA (that is worth 25$)." No patch, nothing...

Is there even anything fundamentally different that by using the XBLA version it fixes anything?

Is there even anything fundamentally different that by using the XBLA version it fixes anything?
The retail version is actually unplayable if you have a 4GB Xbox with no official MS hard drive. It stutters so much you can't hit the QTEs fast enough and you die everytime. Telltale's "solution" is to either buy a MS hard drive or download the XBLA version for free (and ripping you of 5$). But of course with the XBLA version you might get save problems instead, so lol.

The retail version is actually unplayable if you have a 4GB Xbox with no official MS hard drive. It stutters so much you can't hit the QTEs fast enough and you die everytime. Telltale's "solution" is to either buy a MS hard drive or download the XBLA version for free (and ripping you of 5$). But of course with the XBLA version you might get save problems instead, so lol.

What the hell, does microsoft not check for that kind of shit before allowing a game to sell at retail?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It's so weird that a developer that creates a game that is critically a success is pretty much destroying any positive reactions from people because of their unwillingness to, at the very least, respond and acknowledge the save glitch. I understand that solutions take time, but no response is just plain bad business with customers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What is this issue if you don't mind me asking?

The game has massive framerate issues and hitches on scene transactions to the point where it actually can take so long you actually miss a QTE and die without being able to see it. Like so.

They said it only happens to 4gb harddrives, but it doesn't. Metacritic also has the actual retail version of the game as one of the highest rated of the year.

LOL, Telltale sure has gone downhill from when I supported them in the beginning. It's a shame. :/

20 dollars*. You could get all episodes for 800 MSP. Also, some people who bought it retail don't have internet access on their X360. No problems regarding save issues on the XBLA version from what I've heard. Have you had such issues on the XBLA version?

Bought the game during the Steam sale. Played through Episode 1. It didn't transfer my save over to Episode 2. Never played it again. Oh well.
Likewise, I would replay if I could actually skip all the mundane stuff. Or can you skip now? I haven't been keeping up to date on this. Anyway, last Telltale game for me.

I'm glad the media is finally starting to pick up on this. Hopefully it spreads.

Maybe Telltale will finally get shamed into doing their job.

Forkball

I got to chapter five and then it didn't recognize my save. I randomed it and a lot of my decisions were the same, but some were totally different which really bugged me, especially since your decisions are brought up a lot. Telltale is a great developer, but ignoring this issue has just been shameful on their part.

Deft Beck

I've been lucky and I haven't lost my save at any time. I copied my save for episode 4 after completing it and I hope nothing goes wrong as I play the last episode.

duckroll

I think this is the second or third thread I've seen about this problem here. I dunno how it affects other people who read this forum, but if it makes you feel any better, each time I see one of these threads and the problem still isn't fixed, it keeps me from buying The Walking Dead or any future Telltale product.

Gilgamesh

Yeah, it's pretty gross that Telltale is doing absolutely nothing about it. Seems like it should be a fairly easy fix, so what gives? Made me pretty sour about the game but I can't deny that it's an otherwise amazing work.

Walking Dead writers: please jump ship to a technically and morally competent company.

Beat me to it. I remember you talking about this on Twitter so I was gonna see if you'd written anything on the site.

20 dollars*. You could get all episodes for 800 MSP. Also, some people who bought it retail don't have internet access on their X360.
My bad. Even worse. And yeah, you need a Live account too to redeem the code. On top of that a picture of your game package isn't enough, they want your original receipt too. The response time is around 4 weeks...

No problems regarding save issues on the XBLA version from what I've heard. Have you had such issues on the XBLA version?
XBLA version has the same problems as the steam one (identically programmed). There was a patch once, which made the problem less frequent, but it's still happening for many people.

AniHawk

bugs i encountered:

-weird glitchy camera-related stuff in one of the later chapters of episode 3 that forced me to quit the game and restart the chapter. basically the camera goes beneath the ground and you can't see where you're going and no prompts show up
-the game changing one of the choices i made to its clear opposite at some point in episode 1. the fallout from this was kenny being a dick about it the entire rest of the game.
-audio cutting out when people were talking
-scenes holding on people's faces when i was supposed to be making a choice, forcing it to choose the silent option because the timer had apparently been in motion without me knowing

not sure if it's a bug: some weird stuff where the prompt wouldn't pop up at a crucial part at the end of episode 2. not sure if it was just a small hit box or what, but i had to be really really careful to get through it.

the top two in particular were kinda shitty.

The save bug also happens on the Xbox360 version. PS3 is the most safe version right now, but has more framerate issues and glitches instead lol
Huh... I wonder if the save bug was the reason for the much maligned delay for a few of the episodes on PS3 in Europe, that SCEE was denying them certification until they fixed it.

Kosma

Banned
I think this is the second or third thread I've seen about this problem here. I dunno how it affects other people who read this forum, but if it makes you feel any better, each time I see one of these threads and the problem still isn't fixed, it keeps me from buying The Walking Dead or any future Telltale product.

It actually does make me feel better knowing that people know about the issue.

PaulLFC

Do you guys outside the UK have local equivalents to Trading Standards? Products have to be fit for purpose, and this isn't. Telltale shouldn't be allowed to carry on selling it until it's fixed.

My bad. Even worse. And yeah, you need a Live account too to redeem the code. On top of that a picture of your game package isn't enough, they want your original receipt too. The response time is around 4 weeks...

XBLA version has the same problems as the steam one (identically programmed). There was a patch once, which made the problem less frequent, but it's still happening for many people.

The receipt? Heck, a lot of people throw those away. And then four weeks response times? This is a mess! Also, I've never heard of this issue on the XBLA version, but I'll take your word for it. The game had some framerate issues, weird facial expressions and some other random errors when I played it, but thankfully nothing happened to my save files. I recall there being big difficulties in getting the game to start the correct episode though. When I first tried to start episode two it started the end of episode one, and when I tried to start episode four it started episode one instead.

So many glitches.

Do you guys outside the UK have local equivalents to Trading Standards? Products have to be fit for purpose, and this isn't. Telltale shouldn't be allowed to carry on selling it until it's fixed.

Well yeah, pretty much every country has an equivalent to that, but I doubt anyone cares since "it's just video games" and all that.

I really wish my friend never gifted me this game during the steam sale.

Hate that I am somehow supporting studios who treat there fans like trash.

I lost my save twice. Once after Episode 1 (which I somehow recovered by some wizardry with time stamps) and then again for good after Episode 3. I really enjoyed what I played of it, but I'll never buy another Telltale property if this is the sort of technical performance I can expect. Of the 13 hours Steam says I spent on it, likely half of that was spent trying to recover my save.

I kind of wish my "Most Frustrating Experience of the Year" award could negate like 10 GOTY awards, but alas.

AniHawk

I really wish my friend never gifted me this game during the steam sale.

Hate wasting money supporting studios you treat there fans like trash.

i think the walking dead is a shitty game, but i'll play devil's advocate here- i think to patch the game, they might have to spend resources they haven't planned for or don't have. a lot of small companies care about their fans. i just think they're understaffed for the projects they take on, and move a little too quickly on them.

Jokab

Do we have any idea how many people this has happened to, or is it a vocal minority? I played through the game just fine, and so did all of my friends. Not defending this, and of course it sucks that it happened to some people, but if it was like <1% of people then I don't think it could ever serve as a remark against GOTY nominations.

Huh... I wonder if the save bug was the reason for the much maligned delay for a few of the episodes on PS3 in Europe, that SCEE was denying them certification until they fixed it.
I dunno, but this picture is pretty telling lol.

neubitmapefex7.jpg

Love the "Over 60 GOTY awards" banner on the top xD

RaidenZR

This isn't the first 'game of the year' to have such a killing glitch. I had a lovely 12+ hours in Batman Arkham Asylum get ruined for me after my autosave stranded me in one of the early Poison Ivy areas. Did some research and found it was a known bug that affected a lot of people across platforms, yet Rocksteady did nothing. Couldn't bother to address it. Of course, they didn't hesitate to put out multiple DLC efforts, though. I can't tolerate that shit and refused to play the sequel for this very reason.

I dunno, but this picture is pretty telling lol.

http://www.abload.de/img/neubitmapefex7.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Keep in mind though that the X360 and PC versions have been on sale for roughly 10 dollars while the PS3 version hasn't been on sale (correct me if I'm wrong, at least I haven't heard of any TWD sale on PS3). But yeah, the PS3 seem to have the least issues from what I can tell.

The press are so quick to award broken games like Skyrim and TWD GotY. Its really quite funny.

That isnt to to say all of them are complacent, Im thankful that at least some of them are making a big deal about this.

bede-x

Also, I've never heard of this issue on the XBLA version, but I'll take your word for it.

It happened to me as well on the 360 version. Completely erased my save after chapter 3. I don't understand how something that glitchy can be made game of the year or why this isn't commented upon by games "journalists"?

Do we have any idea how many people this has happened to, or is it a vocal minority? I played through the game just fine, and so did all of my friends. Not defending this, and of course it sucks that it happened to some people, but if it was like <1% of people then I don't think it could ever serve as a remark against GOTY nominations.

I never experienced a single issue, but then I didn't go for more than 2 playthroughs. It really sucks for people having this issue, and Telltale's response is pathetic.

Isn't one of GAF's favorite podcasts, Idle Thumbs, full of Telltale game staff? Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman?

eyeless

after ep 1 the stat screen indicated incorrect choices and i have only one prefs.prop so i am totally fucked

ep 1 was released in fucking april and telltale has ignored those who paid them for a broken game since then so consider that

Kosma

Banned
I never experienced a single issue, but then I didn't go for more than 2 playthroughs. It really sucks for people having this issue, and Telltale's response is pathetic.

Isn't one of GAF's favorite podcasts, Idle Thumbs, full of Telltale game staff? Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman?

I might go into their next thread then and ask some questions.

I went through Episode 1 on PS3 with no bugs that I could tell.

But I have the game for Steam now to play on PC. Is there any action we can take to prepare for problems, such as frequent backing up of the save files?

Jokab

I went through Episode 1 on PS3 with no bugs that I could tell.

But I have the game for Steam now to play on PC. Is there any action we can take to prepare for problems, such as frequent backing up of the save files?

That's what I did, and I never had any problems. Backup before every session, backup after every session. No idea if it helps though.

EDIT: Also between episodes if you keep going.

Roto13

They've always been like this. Stopped buying their games after monkey island when it was clear they weren't changing.

As for the award, "gaming journalism lol" + the problem not hitting everyone I guess. Just look at all the garbage bethesda pushed out to reviewers, giving 360 versions of skyrim when PS3 versions were requested. they knew their game was garbage, but they also knew the gaming press wouldn't make any major complaint over it because apart from a very short list of publications, they're totally spineless.

Except the gaming press posted article after article about the bugs in the PS3 version of Skyrim after they became apparent. How were they supposed to know the PS3 version was even buggier than most Bethesda games if they hadn't played it? There were no pre-release copies of the PS3 version.

This blind bashing of the gaming press for everything is pathetic.

Sibylus

Banned
First playthrough was flawless (though I did use the 2nd slot to back up the save after every chapter), second playthrough has bugged out after the completion of chapter 2 and had to begin chapter 3 with randomized choices. Didn't back up that save in particular, though for all I know the game would have messed up the backup too (save file was updated yesterday when I launched the game after it sat for about a week, corrupted then and not when I originally saved it).

Wait, having an X360 controller plugged in when the game starts corrupts the save file? What the fuck?

epmode

LOL, Telltale sure has gone downhill from when I supported them in the beginning. It's a shame. :/

From what I remember, they've been bad with patches from the very beginning. They're always working on the next episode or game or whatever and they very rarely take the time to fix anything.

Taruranto

Wow, wasn't even aware of this kind of bug.

Luckily (not really, i had to replay that sentence 4 times...) the only bug i encountered was the mouse bug during ep. III.

Jokab

Well on PC at least, the solution is fairly clear an avoidable... But only if you know about it. At least the way it happened to me. I left a controller plugged in on Windows 8, so when I started the game, it lost all of my settings and corrupted the save file. Had I googled about save fixes beforehand, I would have known that I needed to manually insert a specific direct input .dll into the game's main folder.

If they would install that file for you -- apparently it helps some windows 7 users as well but I can't confirm this -- this could be prevented for many people. Corrupting a save file for having a controller plugged into your PC for a game THAT SUPPORTS CONTROLLERS is not something anybody should go out of their way to fix.

That I had to manually fix that, then spoof the last modified times and dates for my saves to recover them, is simply absurd, and even if it is 1% of people, that's a lot of goddamn people.
How do you know that is the specific issue? I had my controller plugged in at all times during playing it, aswell as before I started it.

I am shocked a game with such astounding lag in FPS gets GOTY. Its totally inexcusable for a game like this.
I'm pretty sure the game ran at a smooth 60fps at all times for me.

From what I remember, they've been bad with patches from the very beginning. They're always working on the next episode or game or whatever and they very rarely take the time to fix anything.

True but I don't remember experiencing as game breaking as the walking dead.

How do you know that is the specific issue? I had my controller plugged in at all times during playing it, aswell as before I started it.

I'm pretty sure the game ran at a smooth 60fps at all times for me.

I played a PS3 version and game freezes all the time. I've missed counters and trying to aim and execute an action is maddening. I don't know how many times I had to replay the part where you jump across an alley and you have to grab a person's hand. I fell at least 4 or 5 times before eI aimed correctly.

I dont know if FPS is a correct assessment of the problem. Its more like a lag or freeze.

How were they supposed to know the PS3 version was even buggier than most Bethesda games if they hadn't played it? There were no pre-release copies of the PS3 version.

....I know that, it was in the post you just quoted. My point is that Bethesda felt they could get away with doing it.

Yeah, sure, this is blind bashing. Skyrim & Walking Dead weren't fêted in most publications, getting awards even as there were barely functioning versions out in the wild. This did not happen.

Except the gaming press posted article after article about the bugs in the PS3 version of Skyrim after they became apparent. How were they supposed to know the PS3 version was even buggier than most Bethesda games if they hadn't played it? There were no pre-release copies of the PS3 version.

I didnt see many sites running to get a PS3 copy to check if it was any good or comparable after launch and it didnt stop many sites for awarding the game GotY
even with these problems.

Top Bottom